Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Dell Streak (Mini 5)

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Calling Dell Streak Owners!!

Hey, so I flip flop phones a lot, and have been offered a dell streak for my samsung galaxy vibrant. How do you guys find it? It looks identical to my vibrant (except size). The size is the only thing that will take getting used to in my opinon, but from your owners experience, how is the touchscreen? How is the resolution? How is its durability? Is it a worthy phone/tablet? And is it going past 2.2 officially? (not scared to root, just like to know).

Thanks

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

Cool The Dell Streak

I have had the Dell Streak for about 5 weeks now. I love it. However, I just downloaded the update from 1.6 to 2.2 last night. Alas, my current sim card does not work with 2.2; so, I have to go back tomorrow and get a new chip activated. As for the resolution, awesome!! The touch screen is great and the keyboard is big enough for my giant tree-trunk fingers to be able to type on.

Be aware though, before you upgrade to 2.2; make sure you have a a good backup (online preferrably) of your contacts. Even though I did the backup before upgrading, my contacts still did not load.
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Dell Streak 5

I have had my Streak for almost two weeks now. I didn't like 1.6 but upgraded to 2.2 and love it. The screen size is very large at 5 inches but I find myself liking it more and more every day. Non-telephone uses like browsing the Internet and email and things like that are much more enjoyable to me now.

I had an iPhone 3GS before this and don't miss it at all. The touchscreen is very responsive and the resolution looks great. I got an OtterBox case with mine but fortunately still haven't dropped it so I cannot attest to durability. Overall - I really like it and feel like this is a really great phone/tablet.
The Following User Says Thank You to HogDog For This Useful Post:
bagus.streak (March 7th, 2011)
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One X, BB Curve Dell Streak (RIP)
Carrier: AT&T

Send a message via Yahoo to nb_mitch

I have had my Streak for about 2.5 months. I liked the 1.6 version for the most part, but maybe I just got use to it. 2.2 brought some great things (much better battery life (2 days verses about 12 hours), better responsiveness to the touch, better phone dialer and a few others well worth it. I lost root and I lost the simple 3G toggle drop-down which I loved to help keep my 3G usage down (200MG plan).

I have dropped it a few times, no issues, I have a rubber cover (ebay for $7) which helps protect it. but I have never broke a phone before (except one motorcycle accident, which was good, it saved taking a chunk out of me).

It is big, I had a BB Curve for 2+ years and Sony X10 (for 29 days) and they were both much smaller. Even though the size is different, I am now at the point where it seems normal. I always carried my Blackberry in my front pants pocket, but with my Streak, I carry it in my inside motorcycle jacket pocket, side pockets on cargo pants, etc. I will carry it in my front pants pocket if I have nowhere else to put it and take it out while sitting down.

I don't think we will know about OS going forward until it happens. Not sure what an upgrade would bring that is worth the effort at this point.
Me and my bike at GKTW
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have had my streak for about 1 week and it's already 2.2. Before this I had iPhone 3Gs for about 13 months and it's totally diffrent experience. For me an iPhone is limited in many ways ( I called it limited function but maximum use ), but with this streak i can do lots of things. The browser is great, even faster than my 3Gs ( using the same XL provider in Indonesia ), exchangeable battery, large screen yet fit in my pocket. Highly recommended
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Thanks for your opinions guys, i think i am going to go ahead and give it a try. From what you guys have said seems to be a good choice, plus i really want to try out the tablet to increase productivity at school.
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Unlocked non-AT&T Dell Streak

I think you'll really enjoy it, I have had mine for 3 months now and It is just great. The size really isn't an issue for me because I have huge fingers so to me it feels like a phone that was made for me, and the touch screen is amazing it is very responsive, also typing on it is a dream I thought I could never get away from a physical keyboard but this phone changed everything. The only downside I have found is that when I need a new phone I won't be able to have anything smaller because the screen is just great.
Old March 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajairola View Post
The only downside I have found is that when I need a new phone I won't be able to have anything smaller because the screen is just great.
I am hoping for a 6" device with smaller trim pieces so the overall size is about the same in my next device
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Had mine since mid October, came with 1.6, which, coming from 3 years of windows phones was a BIG improvement. Held off til December, thinking at&t would get its act in line, but jumped to 2.2 mid December. It was like a brand new device!
Still love it, couldn't imagine going to a smaller screen anymore.
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

I've had my Streak since last August, and Froyo since December. I bought the Streak because I was tired of lugging several devices -- laptop, phone, iPod, pocket camera, eReader, GPS.

For trips up to three weeks, I no longer take anything but the Streak. It isn't a perfect replacement for all those devices, but it is adequate. And that means one single device and one single charger!
sponsored links
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): GALAXY NOTE 2 .(aka T.E.D.6)....ROOTED!
Carrier: A Bentley Carries Me

Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,249 Posts
Wink I Am Proud To Be Streaker!

I've had my Streak since March 8 and wonder how I functioned without it
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thumbs up Dell Streak is what I have been waiting for

Hi, I am a FORMER Iphone enthusiast. But have been waiting for something half the size of an Ipad that actually is a phone. I GOT IT!!!! Yesterday. $49.99 with 2 year ATT I had 3 phones up for upgrades so chose this. I am wowed. I had them upgrade the firmware for me to 2.2 I listen to Sirius satellite radio on the phone and needed Flash for the upgrade. WOW it is the best. I had the same problem no way to sync with my PC. Then I thought about it being a Google friendly system. I went to my gmail account and went to Google docs. Thought I would try uploading songs this way, since syncing with PC was impossible. Guess what? It works.

I uploaded lots of songs, went to Google on the Streak, downloaded the songs, assigned them as ringtone and was good to go!!!

I love this
Last edited by kkmiausa; March 16th, 2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Left off letter
Old March 17th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmiausa View Post
Hi, I am a FORMER Iphone enthusiast. But have been waiting for something half the size of an Ipad that actually is a phone. I GOT IT!!!! Yesterday. $49.99 with 2 year ATT I had 3 phones up for upgrades so chose this. I am wowed. I had them upgrade the firmware for me to 2.2 I listen to Sirius satellite radio on the phone and needed Flash for the upgrade. WOW it is the best. I had the same problem no way to sync with my PC. Then I thought about it being a Google friendly system. I went to my gmail account and went to Google docs. Thought I would try uploading songs this way, since syncing with PC was impossible. Guess what? It works.

I uploaded lots of songs, went to Google on the Streak, downloaded the songs, assigned them as ringtone and was good to go!!!

I love this
WOw, me too! I didn't know you could upllad mp3s to Google then transfer to your Streak! I will give this a try today!
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Dell Streak, my first and only Android device, and I love it!

Had my Dell Streak for 2 weeks now, updated to 2.2 and I love it! Researching how to root it now. The question I have is that does anybody else have a problem opening their phone when they take it out their pocket? Cause I do, when I take it out my pocket and swipe up to get in my phone, it gets stuck, it will not swipe up till a few minutes after its been out my pocket?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi guys, I am new to DELL STREAK and I had a question. I have prepaid service with TMobile and would like to switch to an unlimited monthly plan with one of the numerous prepaid GSM service providers out there. Since my new STREAK is unlocked, do you think I would be able to take advantage of the unlimited web? My set will have the 2.2. One user here mentioned something about SIM not being compatible and needed flash/upgrade?? Anyways, any help would be appreciated. I plan to switch to STRAIGHTTALK from T-MOBILE.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1980 View Post
Hi guys, I am new to DELL STREAK and I had a question. I have prepaid service with TMobile and would like to switch to an unlimited monthly plan with one of the numerous prepaid GSM service providers out there. Since my new STREAK is unlocked, do you think I would be able to take advantage of the unlimited web? My set will have the 2.2. One user here mentioned something about SIM not being compatible and needed flash/upgrade?? Anyways, any help would be appreciated. I plan to switch to STRAIGHTTALK from T-MOBILE.
Dont you just LOVE your new Streak? I cant do without it. Are you planning to come over to ATT (especially with the acquisition)? My guess is iff you are contemplating switching to an unlimited plan on tmoble, I would do it quickly before there may be a lockdown period where you cant change anything due to merger. This way when you get transitioned, you get here with an unlimited plan already in place and maybe att wont touch yur package during the merge.

I know pay as you go accounts are hanled differently, so if u do switch now to unlimited, it might bea good thing for you.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hey Rico,
thanks for your reply. No I am not switching to ATT or going for the unlimited thing on T-Mobile. I am getting an unused, unlocked STREAK and was wondering if there is anyway I could just pop in my SIM card from STRAIGHTTALK (supposedly the biggest prepaid GSM service in the US that works on other major carriers' network) into my STREAK tablet/phone and have the web experience working right away. Any ideas?
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s): droid

Send a message via Skype™ to stevenlong

It should just work for you.
The SIM card the provider gives you has all the information needed for web access. You should be able to insert the SIM and have it work.
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

Sad brand new to streak!

Hi all! I have had my streak now for .. ummm 3 days... coming from iphone 4. soooooooooooooo confused! I am on ATT and I don't ever see the 3g in the top.. its has an "H"???? do I have to leave my wireless turned on all the time? I change my ringtones, then later they revert back to a factory ringtone. I have a memory card in the phone, but it cant find it. Do I leave USB storage on all the time?? I deleted off the home screens that came with the phone.. how do I get them back? UGH! I am soooooo frustrated. I think I could totally fall in love with my Streak if I knew more about it
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1980 View Post
Hey Rico,
thanks for your reply. No I am not switching to ATT or going for the unlimited thing on T-Mobile. I am getting an unused, unlocked STREAK and was wondering if there is anyway I could just pop in my SIM card from STRAIGHTTALK (supposedly the biggest prepaid GSM service in the US that works on other major carriers' network) into my STREAK tablet/phone and have the web experience working right away. Any ideas?
How did that work out. Ffor you? Did your Streak fire up ok after plugging in your. Sim?
I am anxious to hear.
sponsored links
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): droid

Send a message via Skype™ to stevenlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
Hi all! I have had my streak now for .. ummm 3 days... coming from iphone 4. soooooooooooooo confused! I am on ATT and I don't ever see the 3g in the top.. its has an "H"???? do I have to leave my wireless turned on all the time? I change my ringtones, then later they revert back to a factory ringtone. I have a memory card in the phone, but it cant find it. Do I leave USB storage on all the time?? I deleted off the home screens that came with the phone.. how do I get them back? UGH! I am soooooo frustrated. I think I could totally fall in love with my Streak if I knew more about it
You have several questions:
First H is faster than 3g so don't worry about that. It just means you are in an area that has AT&T 4g

Usb storage on is for accessing you card from a computer. Your Sd card is available all times except when you have US storage on.

The screens you are talking about are stage UI widgets. To get one back you will need the screen to have enough space. Then if you touch the screen and hold it there you will see a menu. One of the choices will be to add a widget. Select that and then another menu will show up and you will see the widget you want.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevenlong For This Useful Post:
DOGAmze (June 29th, 2011), imjustme (April 20th, 2011)
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
Hi all! I have had my streak now for .. ummm 3 days... coming from iphone 4. soooooooooooooo confused! I am on ATT and I don't ever see the 3g in the top.. its has an "H"???? ..........I think I could totally fall in love with my Streak if I knew more about it
Spend a little more time reading and less breaking The "H" is ok, can't help with ringtones as I only use "vibrate"

I use a App called AppBrain which is really good about managing Apps. You can search on your computer than sync your wish list on the phone.

I also turn off my 3g except when I want it, as I spend 99% on wifi and I am on the 200MB plan. So far in 4 months I have only maxed out at 60MB. I use and app called 3G Watchdog to track my usage and another called "Toggle Net Switch Widget" to turn off/on 3G.

Welcome to the family, enjoy your new toy
The Following User Says Thank You to nb_mitch For This Useful Post:
imjustme (April 20th, 2011)
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

I've had my streak since the end of January on 2.2 and I hate it. It's currently in with O2UK for repair as it's permanantly coming up with com.process errors and resetting itself which loses all my apps, contacts, emails, texts, etc.. I could back it up and restore but after having to back it up every other day at least and restoring it the same I'm sick of it and just want rid. Hopefully I'll be able to convince O2 to send me another phone as a replacement as I no longer want my Streak, if not it'll be going on eBay as soon as it comes back. It's a shame as it's absolutely brilliant for downloading and watching films on but there's too many other little problems like the wifi not always auto connecting at home which means I have to do it myself and having to go to the settings screen to turn on GPS when you fire up sat nav when on iPhone it used to do it automatically. I hate to say it but I may be returning to the dreaded Apple!
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Looks like you just have a defective tab/phone to begin with. None of those issue on my Streak. Had ot since March and after Android Market pulled malapps. habe you figured whay could cause it?

Id still get another if it was me. Dont think I can go back to a smaller phone or a smaller screen.
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s):

No idea whats causing it, I think I'd be better off with a smaller screen now as I ride trials and it's a pain trying to ride with such a big phone in my pocket and I'm scared of it falling out. Never had that problem with my old iphone.
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

I agree with you there. ...or...keep the new one which should be no prob and use it only at home, office etc. and get a cheepie for trailing, biking, etc.. that way even if the cheepie falls, gets lost or even get eaten by a fox in a box (i couldnt resist), it wouldn't be too bad to replace that one?
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

I have no issues about size, but then I wear allot of cargo pants/shorts and when I ride my motorcyle, it fits great inside my jacket pocket.

For trail riding or any activity that might cause harm, I would get a disposable phone that doesn't matter if it gets lost or broken, I sure don't want to take a phone that is going to cost $500 to replace on any activity that could be harmful to the device.
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s): Dell Streak 5

Send a message via Yahoo to elvinomarin elvinodq2008

Hello Dell streak 5 owners,

I'm using my DS 5 w/ Froyo was pre-installed, for 1 month now feel happy with it.
Using it to play my movie collection and listen to music, and browsing during my free time. But got a little problem to play movie with RMVB ext with Vital Player, movies was always jam but the sounds is ok.
someone have any suggest for a good RMVB player?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 04:08 PM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5, Tab 3

I have had my Streak for 30 days now. It came with 1.6 but I upgraded to 2.2 yesterday and love it. I can now go online with it with usb tethering. I love the large clear screen! I find myself leaving my notebook home more and more now.

I got this mostly to show customers (and friends) my photography work I do:
Photography by Moskovita

I had an iPhone 3GS & Sony X10 before this and don't miss them at all. The touchscreen is very responsive and the resolution looks really great.

Just about everywhere I go, people ask what the heck I have and want to see it.

Overall - I really like it and this is a really the best combo size of phone/tablet.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack58 View Post
I have had my Streak for 30 days now. It came with 1.6 but I upgraded to 2.2 yesterday and love it. I can now go online with it with usb tethering. I love the large clear screen! I find myself leaving my notebook home more and more now.

I got this mostly to show customers (and friends) my photography work I do:
Photography by Moskovita

I had an iPhone 3GS & Sony X10 before this and don't miss them at all. The touchscreen is very responsive and the resolution looks really great.

Just about everywhere I go, people ask what the heck I have and want to see it.

Overall - I really like it and this is a really the best combo size of phone/tablet.

Id say Jack is bitten! Welcome to the club. I live by my DS5. Those are some excellent photos
sponsored links
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:20 AM   #31 (permalink)
mjw

Device(s):

I hate it. Doesn't sync with either lap- or desk-top; Dell Sync keepsclosing on laptop and won't open on dt, despite hours on phine to very helpful Indian at Dell. SD card isn't even found by Desktop. I have had it a week, and had to take one back because the Dell tech guys decided it must be faulty. Reception of WiFi is poor, and phine volume at ear is pathetic - can't here a conversation in any but quiet location.
Seems to me to be a clear sign that Streak is not fit for purpose, and Android is of questionable quality.
Any thoughts?
Malcolm
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw View Post
I hate it. Doesn't sync with either lap- or desk-top; Dell Sync keepsclosing on laptop and won't open on dt, despite hours on phine to very helpful Indian at Dell. SD card isn't even found by Desktop. I have had it a week, and had to take one back because the Dell tech guys decided it must be faulty. Reception of WiFi is poor, and phine volume at ear is pathetic - can't here a conversation in any but quiet location.
Seems to me to be a clear sign that Streak is not fit for purpose, and Android is of questionable quality.
Any thoughts?
Malcolm
Your in the minority. Since you don't like it, just get different phone instead of bashing it here. Mine works perfectly and I use it heavily every day.
Old June 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #33 (permalink)

No room for streak haters in this forum. isay we bash mjw
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s): GSM Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Malcolm
Tapping on USB storage to access the SD card works for me. But I think you're missing something. Android seems to be more suited to cloud syncing (Dropbox, Chrome to Phone, Google Music, OTA updates, etc.) while iOS is heavily dependent on its wired connection (at least so far). Each has its pluses and minuses.

As for the wifi reception, I think the antenna is on the earpiece side of the phone so don't do a death grip with your left hand in landscape mode.

I don't make a lot of calls but Streak seems fine for me. My Otterbox Commuter case may actually have helped by making it easy to find the earpiece hole. My Nokias still sound the best to me.
Old June 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note + 32GB

I have used many Nokias, iPhone 3GS, 4, iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab. In March I bought the Dell Streak from eBay and this is by far the best mobile device ever! The screen size is optimal, great for surfing, videos and photos and yet mobile. The best thing is that it is also a phone, so I really don't need any other devices. I'm a music fanatic and the Streak serves well with my Sony Bt headphones and Ziisound D5 bt speaker. The sound is perfect. Here in Finland I am maybe one of the two other Streak users, so it really stands out from the Nokia-iPhone-Samsung mass.
In three months, the phone has crashed once, which is no worse than Apple's statistics in my opinion.
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #36 (permalink)
mjw

Device(s):

Rico said: "No room for streak haters in this forum."
Jack58 said: "Your in the minority. Since you don't like it, just get different phone instead of bashing it here"
I have had about 15 hours of phone link to Dell in India and even more with my computer on GoAssist, much not at my cost, only to learn that Dell Sync does not work any more, and will not do so. They are working on a solution, but even then they say that the synching will not work. I have a laptop which sees the Streak, and allows drag and drop transfers, and a (Dell) desktop that sees the Streak, but not the SD card, and does not communicate.
Your experiences may be good, but mine is not. The cost of buying a new phone is prohibitive, so such suggestions are facile and pointless.
In many ways the Streak is good, but if it will only sync online, it is seriously restricted. My telephone connection is poor, and WiFi is restricted, so I have to stand in the kitchen to get a signal, even though with the other computers they pick the signal up in my normal workplaces.
There is something wrong with this device, no matter how good some things may be, and rejecting criticisms does not lead to improvements.
I find the screen good when I can enlarge, but often this will not work. I guess that one of the issues is age-related - I have a bus pass, and despite reasonable eyesight it is difficult to read names on (eg) Google Maps - they don't grow as the view zooms. That, I imagine, is not unique to Dell.
And, lest there be some presumption about age-related-luddism, I have been using computers since 1981, and had the (to my mind still not truly matched) Psion hand-helds a couple of decades ago. I know what I expect from a hand-held computer, and currently this does not seem to work for me with the Streak.
If one computer (and clearly some on here) does work through USB Storage, I am mystified why the other doesn't.
I have learned over the years to rely on external providers as little as possible. You may be able to link through Google or some other online system for free at present, but the nature of the beast is to introduce charges or even completely abandon the products - I have a museum of once very good and now totally useless bits of jkit.
I bought the Streak to replace my Palm which is very good but old. I don't think it will do the same jobs, so I will probably have two devices side by side, as there are some things which are brill on the Streak.
I have downloaded 3rd-party software that allows me to sync the calendar with Windows calendar, and also software that organises the images in a way that allows me to examine them by alphabetic names rather than the internal gallery system, so I am not as totally frustrated as previously but.......
On the positive side, I have nothing but praise for the advisor at Dell's call centre. If a solution ahd been possible, I am sure he would have found it.
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #37 (permalink)

Sorry, thats just too much to read. Sell me your streak and get you something else.
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico ANDROID View Post
Sorry, thats just too much to read. Sell me your streak and get you something else.
Yep... I agree too much phone for him/her. Get something simpler.
Old August 5th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #39 (permalink)

Device(s):

I am new to the forum and Streak. I may be in the wrong forum but here goes anyway...
I have a brand new unlocked Streak with an AT&T sim card in it, from my old lg vu. All I have is just the contract calling plan. I want to get a no contract unlimited plan to get online, etc., since I now have this beautiful new phone. Which carriers can I use and which are the cheapest and best? AT&T's data plan seems too pricy. Thanx, in advance, for the help...
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #40 (permalink)

The phone is only compatible with At&t and T-Mobile, At&t may automatically add a data plan if they notice it on their network. You can use the device on wifi without any data plan, don't even need a sim card.

I have been using mine on At&t with the 200MB $15 plan for 9 months now, I have never gone over 75M in a month, but MMV when it comes to data. I am on wifi 95% of the time, so my data usage is very low. It might not work for someone that is constantly on a 3G network.

You might also consider the pre-paid carriers, if there are any that are compatible, even At&t might work as they then can't add a data plan.
sponsored links
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #41 (permalink)

Device(s): GSM Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4

Quote:
Your experiences may be good, but mine is not. The cost of buying a new phone is prohibitive, so such suggestions are facile and pointless.
In many ways the Streak is good, but if it will only sync online, it is seriously restricted. My telephone connection is poor, and WiFi is restricted, so I have to stand in the kitchen to get a signal, even though with the other computers they pick the signal up in my normal workplaces.
There is something wrong with this device, no matter how good some things may be, and rejecting criticisms does not lead to improvements.
I find the screen good when I can enlarge, but often this will not work. I guess that one of the issues is age-related - I have a bus pass, and despite reasonable eyesight it is difficult to read names on (eg) Google Maps - they don't grow as the view zooms. That, I imagine, is not unique to Dell.
I don't know if you still have the Streak but I just noticed, when I was poking around the latest update, an option from a previous update for text size in Google Maps.

Menu->More->Labs->Bigger Text

Google Maps updated to v5.8 - Adds photo uploads, my Places and more | Android Central

Google Maps updated with bubble buttons, Transit Navigation improvements | Android Central
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:15 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Rico said: "No room for streak haters in this forum."
Jack58 said: "Your in the minority. Since you don't like it, just get different phone instead of bashing it here"
I have had about 15 hours of phone link to Dell in India and even more with my computer on GoAssist, much not at my cost, only to learn that Dell Sync does not work any more, and will not do so. They are working on a solution, but even then they say that the synching will not work. I have a laptop which sees the Streak, and allows drag and drop transfers, and a (Dell) desktop that sees the Streak, but not the SD card, and does not communicate.

Mjw
And, lest there be some presumption about age-related-luddism, I have been using computers since 1981, and had the (to my mind still not truly matched) Psion hand-helds a couple of decades ago. I know what I expect from a hand-held computer, and currently this does not seem to work for me with the Streak.
If one computer (and clearly some on here) does work through USB Storage, I am mystified why the other doesn't.
I have learned
L years to rely on external providers as little as possible. You may be able to link through Google or some other online system for free at present, but the nature of the beast is to introduce charges or even completely abandon the products - I have a museum of once very good and now totally useless bits of jkit.
I bought the Streak to replace my Palm which is very good but old. I don't think it will do the same jobs, so I will probably have two devices side by side, as there are some things which are brill on the Streak.
I have downloaded 3rd-party software that allows me to sync the calendar with Windows calendar, and also software that organises the images in a way that allows me to examine them by alphabetic names rather than the internal gallery system, so I am not as totally frustrated as previously but.......
On the positive side, I have nothing but praise for the advisor at Dell's call centre. If a solution ahd been possible, I am sure he would have found it.
Mjw if you are still aroumd, wanna say I was kiddn, and all is ok?
Old October 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #43 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default new battery for my dell strike 5

i will have a reserve battery for my dell strike 5
its not for sale by dell \i bought bad immitation 2 hours and dead
has anybody good experience anywhere on the internet ???
Old October 26th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #44 (permalink)

Have you seen the new Galaxy Note! Bigger screen 5.3" Tablet/Phone! Picks up where Dell foolishly stepped off!

Samsung Galaxy Note Official Video - YouTube
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #45 (permalink)

That may very well be my next phone. Dell cut their own throat by not supporting the Streak 5 better.
The Following User Says Thank You to jack58 For This Useful Post:
Rico ANDROID (October 26th, 2011)
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack58 View Post
That may very well be my next phone. Dell cut their own throat by not supporting the Streak 5 better.

I feel the same way!!!! Theres another device i have my eyes on but dotn know if its available in the U.S. or ever will be...

Im not that up on the brand either..

ViewSonic ViewPad android tablet Phone 7 inch - YouTube

Dell Streak
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Calling the Dell Streak an "Android Phone" is entering a grey area - with a massive 5-inch screen the device is practically a tablet but it hauls cellular connectivity that make "phone" a perfectly acceptable categorization. By ... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Dell Streak (Mini 5)