Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Dell Streak (Mini 5)

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 30th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thumbs up Buying a Dell 5 as a Tablet (NOT phone)?

I'm looking for a good small tablet solution. I was looking at an archos 5 (old, but cheap), but now I'm looking at the Dell Streak.

There are just three things I want from a tablet. The ability to read e-books, portability (smaller = better), and GPS.

What concerns me is... without a phone contract, will the Dell Streak GPS function? And could I potentially experience any other problems?

Cheers in advance!

Rich

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

Streak 5 is more of a large phone than a tablet. Samsung Note is better but is very expensive. Streak has lowered the price. Latest OS for Streak is 2.3 which is good. It's hard to text Streak with one hand but I like reading text on Streak than the iPhone-size phones.

I do have some problems with Streak but probably with 2.3 OS. Overall, Streak is fine. Camera seems better than iPhone but according to reviews, iPhone 4S is better.
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note N7000, Dell Strek mini 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythiran View Post
I'm looking for a good small tablet solution. I was looking at an archos 5 (old, but cheap), but now I'm looking at the Dell Streak.

There are just three things I want from a tablet. The ability to read e-books,
For reading eBooks the Dell is really good! I've read loads of eBooks on mine.

Quote:
portability (smaller = better)
Fits perfectly into your back trouser pocket, shirt pocket, etc. Although it looks pretty big, it really isn't, especially if you compare it to an eBook reader, Kindle, Kobo, etc.

Quote:
GPS.

What concerns me is... without a phone contract, will the Dell Streak GPS function?
Not 100% on this but I don't think it will. I think the actual GPS function would be fine but the maps will need to be downloaded from the internet and without a service provider (or WiFi access) I doubt it'd be possible.

2 out of 3 aint bad, hope it helps
Last edited by Gr13zly; May 14th, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr13zly View Post
For reading eBooks the Dell is really good! I've read loads of eBooks on mine.

Fits perfectly into your back trouser pocket, shirt pocket, etc. Although it looks pretty big, it really isn't, especially if you compare it to an eBook reader, Kindle, Kobo, etc.

Not 100% on this but I don't think it will. I think the actual GPS function would be fine but the maps will need to be downloaded from the internet and without a service provider (or WiFi access) I doubt it'd be possible.

2 out of 3 aint bad, hope it helps

i have used my streak for the same things you listed and it worked perfectly for those things but you will have to preload maps via wifi before leaving for trips and maybe stopping at a couple of mcmaps to get updates
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S2, AT&T Note, Galaxy 7.0+
Carrier: T-Mobile

Check out the 5" Samsung Galaxy Player. GPS works fine if you preload it over wifi, form factor is great, speaker is super loud, screen looks fine if you keep the brightness up a bit. I got mine on woot for 170, the US models have 2.3 and run somewhere in the low 200's. My only beef is that there's not a 3g version like the bigger tablets.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): GALAXY NOTE 2 .(aka T.E.D.6)....ROOTED!
Carrier: A Bentley Carries Me

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckendzierski View Post
i have used my streak for the same things you listed and it worked perfectly for those things but you will have to preload maps via wifi before leaving for trips and maybe stopping at a couple of mcmaps to get updates
I am a die-hard Dell Streaker too! I live in mine! I use mine curently for all of what was posted here. My tab/phone (the original tab/phone that didnt get the recognition it duely desreves) is still doing its thing even to this day!

Dell Streak
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Calling the Dell Streak an "Android Phone" is entering a grey area - with a massive 5-inch screen the device is practically a tablet but it hauls cellular connectivity that make "phone" a perfectly acceptable categorization. By ... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Dell Streak (Mini 5)