My phone was rooted with unrevoked3. I tried to install one of the modaco ROMS and did not realise that it was incompatible with my phone because my Desire has a newer type of screen (not amoled) but SLCD.
This caused the phone screen to go black on startup and be unresponsive. It was frightening because at first the HTC bootscreen (green HTC on white) had black streaks through it , then goes black. But don't worry it is easily redeemed in below instructions.
You need the latest ROM in zip form, put onto your phone and run recovery. Sweet as suzi, you will be debranded (if you were in the process of doing this , remember to make your gold card).
1. Desire screen not switching on at all even though phone switches on.
2. Phone boots but doesn't go beyond bootloader/recovery/fastboot
3. Can get into recovery even though nothing comes on screen (test: press volume down and power. Wait for 10 seconds. Press volume down. Press power. Phone should vibrate. Wait 20 seconds. Phone should now be in recovery mode.)
4. Can get into fastboot (back+power)
5. No goldcard
CAUSE of ORIGINAL AUTHOR'S ISSUE:
I had Aura Sense7.9+AlphaRev S-Off. Cause::Ran a very old RUU just because I wanted to bring things back to stock. The RUU overwrote my HBOOT from 0.93 to god knows what. Turned out, the RUU was for amoled screens and not for SLCD screen. So even though the phone turned on, the screen never did.
1. Make sure you have HTC Sync drivers installed. Install HTC Sync and then just remove the application and not the drivers. I also installed the unrevoked hboot drivers. Do the same.
2. Get Android SDK http://dl.google.com/android/android...07-windows.zip
3. Check that your phone is recognized in recovery and fastboot by your system once drivers are installed -- once you install the drivers, boot into recovery (point 3 of issue -- you should hear beeps in win7 signalling a device connection). Open android_sdk/tool directory in command line and type 'adb devices'. Your device should come up. Similarly take phone into fastboot, and then in command line type 'fastboot devices' your phone should come up.
4.Switch off phone after test. Next, take phone into recovery mode and create gold card. Follow http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/10/how...te-a-goldcard/
or use the Gold Card Tool . The last part of the Gold Card Tool (Patch MMC) didn't work for me so I used the hex editor manually. Make sure you start with the SD Card that came with your phone. I tried 2 cards and it didn't work. Just the SD Card with the phone did!
5. After gold card is made, download 'RUU_Bravo_Froyo_hTC_Asia_WWE_2.13.707.1_Radio_32. 44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2_release_143921_signed' RUU from shipped-roms. This is the latest RUU that I could find for SLCD screen.
6. Run RUU and if your gold card is correct, you should sail right through. and be greeted by a working Desire.
Inspired from this article:
[SOLVED] Desire.SLCD.Bricked.Help - Android @ MoDaCo
NOTES: if you have any problem with this - I am happy to help you just leave a message. It is all self-explanatory though.