Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire > Desire - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help\How to downgrade Gingerbread 2.3.3 to Froyo 2.2.1 on HTC Desire A8183?

Was just wondering if anyone knew how to do this?
I'm not fussed whether I have to root the device or not, I've got a bit of experience in this, just not quite enough to work this out, I've found so many Gingerbread downgrade guides for just about every other make of android device, just not my own.

My reason for wanting to downgrade is that I can't root via unrevoked and flash Amon RA Recovery because unrevoked only currently supports froyo.
Another thing, no matter what I do, my SD Card will not mount, meaning I have to do everything straight from my computer to my Desire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Device: HTC Desire A8183
Carrier: Telstra
Country / Language: English / Australia
OS / Browser / build number : Gingerbread 2.3.3 / Webkit-533.1 / 3.14.405.1 CL96875 release-keys

JK98062 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rastaman-FB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 6,113
 
Device(s): HTC Desire (depreciated) Blue Galaxy s3 (international)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 114
Thanked 1,016 Times in 838 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98062 View Post
Was just wondering if anyone knew how to do this?
I'm not fussed whether I have to root the device or not, I've got a bit of experience in this, just not quite enough to work this out, I've found so many Gingerbread downgrade guides for just about every other make of android device, just not my own.

My reason for wanting to downgrade is that I can't root via unrevoked and flash Amon RA Recovery because unrevoked only currently supports froyo.
Another thing, no matter what I do, my SD Card will not mount, meaning I have to do everything straight from my computer to my Desire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Device: HTC Desire A8183
Carrier: Telstra
Country / Language: English / Australia
OS / Browser / build number : Gingerbread 2.3.3 / Webkit-533.1 / 3.14.405.1 CL96875 release-keys
all you needed to do was read our guides.
2.3.3 cannot be rooted by unrevoked. however there is a tool called revolutionary that will s-off the device and then you can manually flash amonRA via fastboot.
once this is dont you can do 1 of 2 things, flash a rooted rom of choice or root the current rom by flashing the superuser zip file onthe unrevoked wiki page
__________________
Samsung Galaxy S3 (playing with roms still)
Siyah Kernel

Rastaman-FB is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rastaman-FB For This Useful Post:
JK98062 (January 13th, 2012)
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Reply

Could you please refer me to an appropriate guide? I looked, but had no luck finding a suitable guide for my situation.
I have already 'S-OFF'd my phone, if that helps.
JK98062 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

All out guides are linked in the sticky thread "All about rooting". You're looking for the one with "revolutionary" in the title.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SUroot For This Useful Post:
JK98062 (January 13th, 2012)
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rastaman-FB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 6,113
 
Device(s): HTC Desire (depreciated) Blue Galaxy s3 (international)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 114
Thanked 1,016 Times in 838 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98062 View Post
Could you please refer me to an appropriate guide? I looked, but had no luck finding a suitable guide for my situation.
I have already 'S-OFF'd my phone, if that helps.
if youve already s-offed you phone im guessing you used revolutionary
did you read their wiki on flashing super user. they give you the file to download.

all you have to do is download amonRA 2.0.1 from our tools thread and use fastboot to flash it

there is a fastboot faq showing you how to get and use fastboot correctly


we urge people to read through all of the guides as suddenly everything falls into place and you will become and instant guru

i aint lying either
Rastaman-FB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

just did what you said, Rastaman, worked like a charm, thankyou.

also, is there a way to root my phone? all the guides I've seen have all suggested the use of an SD Card, still currently running Gingerbread 2.3.3, soon to be CM7.
JK98062 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

Please just read the guide in the "All bout rooting" that I have already mentioned!
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rastaman-FB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 6,113
 
Device(s): HTC Desire (depreciated) Blue Galaxy s3 (international)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 114
Thanked 1,016 Times in 838 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98062 View Post
just did what you said, Rastaman, worked like a charm, thankyou.

also, is there a way to root my phone? all the guides I've seen have all suggested the use of an SD Card, still currently running Gingerbread 2.3.3, soon to be CM7.
as stated above, in "our" guides, no one elses we go through all eventualities
I also mentioned on this same page that if you just want to root your current rom, you download the superuser zip (su) from the revolutionary wiki and flash it from recovery (after taking a backup)
Rastaman-FB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
desire, gingerbread 2.3.3 to froyo 2.2.1, gingerbread to froyo, htc desire, htc desire downgrade


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire > Desire - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.