Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire HD > Desire HD - Support and Troubleshooting

Like Tree14Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 18th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Htc desire hd - stuck on boot screen

Hi Guys,

Bit of a newbie here, I've looked through your forums and others, but pretty sure I've not come across the same problem I'm experiencing.

Basically my HTC won't start up, you press the power button and all you will get is the HTC logo, and sometimes it will just continuously restart but always get stuck on the same HTC logo startup screen.

I've not rooted or even attempted to mess around with any of the software/firmware, etc. So it can't be anything to do with that.

I've attempted to factory reset and recover the device through the android screen that you can get through holding down the volume button, but none of this has worked either.

I've had the phone for about 2 years, with no problems until now. I believe the version of android is 2.2 or 2.3. Not 100% sure though.

Can anyone help me???

Thanks,

Ben

Advertisements
ben1991 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Harry2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Black Forest
Posts: 5,185
 
Device(s): One X, Sensation, Desire HD, Xperia Tablet S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 622
Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,116 Posts
Default

Shut down the phone and remove the battery for several minutes.

Harry
__________________
Google Translate is to blame for my grammar
Harry2 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default

watching this with interest as my HD did a software update friday and niow is stuck in what i believe is the 'boot loop'''with just teh HTC logo. Tried the recovery liek you but its not having any of it.....so spent hours trying to understand hiow teh heck one does a refresh etc of the RUU which i gather is the way forward.....
greenwood03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 17,457
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 33,016
Thanked 15,025 Times in 7,377 Posts
Default

Welcome to the AndroidForums Ben and greenwood03.

I've reached-out to some fellow staffers in the hopes that they have some ideas that might be helpful to you.

No promises, but there's some smart folks that may pop in .

Cheers and thanks for signing-up with us here at AF.
scary alien is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 20th, 2012), scotty85 (November 19th, 2012)
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
 
Granite1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,092
 
Device(s): M8, Note2(Wife) EL TEvo(retired :()
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 12,414
Thanked 6,999 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default

Ok, lets give this a try.

The android screen you went to by holding the volume down and the power button, that is called the hboot, or bootloader screen. Has a picture of Andy riding a skateboard at the bottom.

OK, now while on this screen use the volume buttons to highlight RECOVERY , press power to select.

Wait a hot second until a red triangle with an exclamation mark appears, this is normal. This is the stock recovery.

Now press and hold both volume up and volume down and press and hold the power button all at the same time. You should be taken to another menu, this menu should have a few options. I don't have the HD, so your options may differ slightly.

In here there should be an option to Wipe or CLEAR CACHE, press power to select.

There should also be an option to CLEAR STORAGE, press power to select this as well.

Then select REBOOT, or just pull the battery and re-insert, then reboot.

See if that works, if not we may need to find a copy of the official RUU and get it on your SD card. From there we can flash it from the stock recovery, if it's indeed the official RUU with HTC's keys.

In the mean time, I'll PM our resident HTC guru...Scotty
__________________
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein
Granite1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Granite1 For This Useful Post:
ral (November 20th, 2012), scary alien (November 19th, 2012), scotty85 (November 19th, 2012)
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1991 View Post
Hi Guys,

Bit of a newbie here, I've looked through your forums and others, but pretty sure I've not come across the same problem I'm experiencing.

Basically my HTC won't start up, you press the power button and all you will get is the HTC logo, and sometimes it will just continuously restart but always get stuck on the same HTC logo startup screen.

I've not rooted or even attempted to mess around with any of the software/firmware, etc. So it can't be anything to do with that.

I've attempted to factory reset and recover the device through the android screen that you can get through holding down the volume button, but none of this has worked either.

I've had the phone for about 2 years, with no problems until now. I believe the version of android is 2.2 or 2.3. Not 100% sure though.

Can anyone help me???

Thanks,

Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood03 View Post
watching this with interest as my HD did a software update friday and niow is stuck in what i believe is the 'boot loop'''with just teh HTC logo. Tried the recovery liek you but its not having any of it.....so spent hours trying to understand hiow teh heck one does a refresh etc of the RUU which i gather is the way forward.....
definately try granites advice above.

if you are still not booting afterward, a couple of questions:

1)you are stable in the hboot screen(white,colored letters), correct?

2) are either of you experiencing 7 short vibrations when trying to boot?

the next step in attempting recovery would be to try and run an RUU to relfash factory software. since you are unrooted,and unmodified we will need to try and find a compatible ruu to run,since the phone will be doing several security checks.

if you can do the following,and post back the output,we can try and find the correct ruus for you to run.
Quote:
first download and install these drivers: revolutionary drivers

then,download this small file:
mini-adb.zip

-unzip it,and place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive(not inside a folder)

-open a cmd window(with win 7,click start bubble,type "command" or "cmd" in hte search box)

-now change to your mini-adb directory(assuming you didnt chagne the name). type in the black cmd window that opened on your PC:
cd c:\mini-adb

-pull the battery in your phone for a few seconds. hold volume down,then power. hold them both until you see the white/colored writing hboot screen

-select "fastboot" from the hboot menu with the vol rocker/power button

-in your cmd window type:
fastboot devices

it should output your phones serial number. if so youre good to go. if not,youre apparently having a driver issue. i usually recomend these drivers from Revolutionary: modified htc drivers download and install the drivers(you should just have to run that file). afterwards,unplug your phone,plug it back in. make sure its in fastboot. as soon as you get a result from "fastboot devices" your ready to procede to the next step.

-in your cmd window,type(or copy/paste,is much easier):
fastboot getvar all

-copy the info that outputs here. right click in your cmd window,click mark,highlight it all in white. hit enter. paste the info here. it will help us know which ruu for you to run.
Granite1 likes this.
__________________
The Delivery Guy
If someone has helped you,please click the THANKS button on that post.
Please post questions so others can benefit from the answers.
donate to my device fund
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 20th, 2012), damo99078 (November 20th, 2012), Granite1 (November 19th, 2012), ral (November 20th, 2012), sam22001 (December 28th, 2013), scary alien (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default thx

OK guys firstly - thanks for lending some wisdom, its appreciated! I followed the steps advised: cache/data-storage etc and nothing changed, still hangs on that initial HTC logo page.
The phone emits 1 vibration when tring to boot - just as it used to before this all went wrong.

here's the info copied from CMD as per instruction - ( for any recovery in case you need to know its windows xp sp3 that i'm using, and although the pc has card reader i am not able to access the micro sd card on this pc nor others that i have....can always buy an external reader if that makes any difference).

C:\Documents and Settings\mark>cd c:\mini-adb

C:\mini-adb>fastboot devices
HT0CMRX13730 fastboot

C:\mini-adb>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0027
INFOversion-baseband: 26.14.52.27
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: 0438
INFOversion-main: 3.13.161.5
INFOserialno: HT0CMRX13730
INFOimei: [removed by Mod]
INFOproduct: ace
INFOplatform: HBOOT-7230
INFOmodelid: PD9810000
INFOcidnum: VODAP001
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 4113mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 743ca94a
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
INFOregion-id: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.000s

Guys......obviously first and foremost hoping to get the phone working again, then will gladly listen to any advice about how/what to do to make life more simple to avoid these issues in the future!!!!
cheers
Mark
greenwood03 is offline  
Last edited by D-U-R-X; May 12th, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greenwood03 For This Useful Post:
damo99078 (November 20th, 2012), Granite1 (November 20th, 2012), ral (November 20th, 2012), scary alien (November 20th, 2012), scotty85 (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
ral
Senior Member
 
ral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,546
 
Device(s): BlackBerry Z10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 692
Thanked 955 Times in 569 Posts
Default

Thanks for the info. Scotty85 will drop by soon and can identify a good ROM for you based on the info you provided.
ral is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ral For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 20th, 2012), Granite1 (November 20th, 2012), sam22001 (December 28th, 2013), scary alien (November 20th, 2012), scotty85 (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood03 View Post
OK guys firstly - thanks for lending some wisdom, its appreciated! I followed the steps advised: cache/data-storage etc and nothing changed, still hangs on that initial HTC logo page.
The phone emits 1 vibration when tring to boot - just as it used to before this all went wrong.

here's the info copied from CMD as per instruction - ( for any recovery in case you need to know its windows xp sp3 that i'm using, and although the pc has card reader i am not able to access the micro sd card on this pc nor others that i have....can always buy an external reader if that makes any difference).

C:\Documents and Settings\mark>cd c:\mini-adb

C:\mini-adb>fastboot devices
HT0CMRX13730 fastboot

C:\mini-adb>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0027
INFOversion-baseband: 26.14.52.27
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: 0438
INFOversion-main: 3.13.161.5 <-must be this number or greater
INFOserialno: HT0CMRX13730
INFOimei: [removed by mod]
INFOproduct: ace
INFOplatform: HBOOT-7230
INFOmodelid: PD9810000
INFOcidnum: VODAP001 <-must be compatible with this CID
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 4113mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on <-this is what makes it difficult
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 743ca94a
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
INFOregion-id: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.000s

Guys......obviously first and foremost hoping to get the phone working again, then will gladly listen to any advice about how/what to do to make life more simple to avoid these issues in the future!!!!
cheers
Mark
in finding an ruu to run on a stock phone,2 important criteria must me met:
1) the main version must be equal to or higher than what you have
2) the rom must be compatible with your CID(carrier id)

i will do some more searching later,but a quick search in the usual spots doesnt show your exact ruu. if we cannot find it,we have a couple of options:
1)unlock the bootloader thru htcdev and install a recovery. we can enter a few adb commands with the phone in recovery,and change the main version to a lower number,so we can flash an older ruu

2)create a "gold card" so we can flash a different carriers RUU. there are a couple that are higher build numbers,but for different carriers here: Shipped ROMs unfortunately,youll need another android phone with an sd card to create the gold card.

gold card directions: HTC Desire: Updating To Froyo (Official OTA) For Network Branded Handsets | Mike Southby

3)combination of 1 and 2

in order to accomplish 1,we need to find an ruu with the same carrie id as yours. i.e.,the build number will contain the "161"... x.xx.161.x

im off to work,but ill search for ruus later if you guys dont have any luck. failing that,i can help if you want to procede with one of the other options above
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by D-U-R-X; May 12th, 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 20th, 2012), Granite1 (November 20th, 2012), ral (November 20th, 2012), scary alien (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
ral
Senior Member
 
ral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,546
 
Device(s): BlackBerry Z10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 692
Thanked 955 Times in 569 Posts
Default

Will see what I come up with. But will PM you any links I find. Much batting average at identifying the correct ROM is about 0.500. Great if it was a Baseball statistic... A bit iffy for this kind of work.
ral is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ral For This Useful Post:
scotty85 (November 20th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
ral
Senior Member
 
ral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,546
 
Device(s): BlackBerry Z10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 692
Thanked 955 Times in 569 Posts
Default

Have had no luck finding a ROM with main version higher than: 3.13.161.5
ral is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ral For This Useful Post:
scotty85 (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

How about one lower(containing the 161)?
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,785
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 11,293
Thanked 7,029 Times in 4,306 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
How about one lower(containing the 161)?
Would the 161 pertain to carrier branding? I believe that 405 is HTC unbranded, isn't it?
__________________
See something that needs Mod attention? Hit and let us know
Free online storage @ Dropbox - use my link & we both get 500MB extra (when you install Dropbox)
D-U-R-X is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-U-R-X For This Useful Post:
ral (November 20th, 2012), scotty85 (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Correct

Others may work,but if the build number cntains the 161 we could be 100% sure it woukd pass the cid check without a gold card
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 20th, 2012), Granite1 (November 20th, 2012), ral (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default

guys i'll trawl the net as best i can, but to save going off in the wrong direction i believe the '161' element refers to the fact\ that the RUU is UK Vodafone.....so we'relooking for an RUU that has the 161 part AND is the same version 3.13. ''161'' .5 or 'higher' - which part denotes higher/newer? the .5 or the 3.13?


Scotty....if all does fail would welcome some step by step pointers. i dont have easy access to another 'droid' based phone, so if a work around is indeed required ideally would prefer to avoid teh ghold card\ method, even if it means a couple of steps: regressing and then perhaps starting afresh once the phone is working.
greenwood03 is offline  
Last edited by greenwood03; November 20th, 2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: didnt see a new post whilst i was typing my reply
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greenwood03 For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (November 20th, 2012), scary alien (November 20th, 2012), scotty85 (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hi guys watching this with interest because im having the same problems as ben and greenwood. Did it happen to you guys when installing the prompted system update? I installed the update and from that point on all i get is the HTC logo
damo99078 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default

found this on htc dev site -
Desire HD
Vodafone
UK
MR
2.6.35
v2.3 88.5 MB 3.13.161.3
would that work as a downgrade?
still searching........
greenwood03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood03 View Post
guys i'll trawl the net as best i can, but to save going off in the wrong direction i believe the '161' element refers to the fact\ that the RUU is UK Vodafone.....so we'relooking for an RUU that has the 161 part AND is the same version 3.13. ''161'' .5 or 'higher' - which part denotes higher/newer? the .5 or the 3.13?


Scotty....if all does fail would welcome some step by step pointers. i dont have easy access to another 'droid' based phone, so if a work around is indeed required ideally would prefer to avoid teh ghold card\ method, even if it means a couple of steps: regressing and then perhaps starting afresh once the phone is working.
Anything with 161 in the build number could be utilitized,and we can check any vodaphone labled ruus
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood03 View Post
found this on htc dev site -
Desire HD
Vodafone
UK
MR
2.6.35
v2.3 88.5 MB 3.13.161.3
would that work as a downgrade?
still searching........

Yes! Can you provide a link?
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Damo - yes it died during a 'proper' update on friday.

Scotty.....i found it here, but now for some reason i can't access the right page! Developer Center at HTCdev i searched: desire, vodafone uk
greenwood03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

ooooooh.... Unfortunately, that is just the bootloader,not a full ruu
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood03 View Post
guys i'll trawl the net as best i can, but to save going off in the wrong direction i believe the '161' element refers to the fact\ that the RUU is UK Vodafone.....so we'relooking for an RUU that has the 161 part AND is the same version 3.13. ''161'' .5 or 'higher' - which part denotes higher/newer? the .5 or the 3.13?


Scotty....if all does fail would welcome some step by step pointers. i dont have easy access to another 'droid' based phone, so if a work around is indeed required ideally would prefer to avoid teh ghold card\ method, even if it means a couple of steps: regressing and then perhaps starting afresh once the phone is working.
in order for the ruu to mass the main version check,the whole thing will have to be numerically higher. for example:
3.13.161.5>3.13.161.3
3.13.468.2>3.13.161.5

ive been searching,and unable to come up with an ruu that contains "voda" in the name,or 161 in the build number. this is not looking so good for you to do a simple main version change

i will keep searching,but at this point it looks like your best option will be to make a gold card. that way,you have a couple higher ruus that will pass the main version check,and we can always lower it and try a lower different carrier version.

unfortunately,youll need an android phone to find the cid of the sd card that you want to use.

if you can make a gold card,then you can just try this ruu: Shipped ROMs

and if that fails,you could try this one: Shipped ROMs
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 20th, 2012), Granite1 (November 20th, 2012), scary alien (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
 
Granite1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,092
 
Device(s): M8, Note2(Wife) EL TEvo(retired :()
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 12,414
Thanked 6,999 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default

Hey Scotty, why don't we just get the bootloader unlocked, load a recovery and wipe the cache and dalvik cache, see if that works, then flash a rom from there if it doesn't?

I know the phone will still be S-on, so couldn't we just flash the kernel through fastboot after the rom install?


Also, is there a copy of the exact same RUU currently on the phone anywhere on the interwebz? We can flash it from the stock recovery if it's on the SD card.

I'm firing in 25 different directions right now, so I may not be making sense.
Granite1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Granite1 For This Useful Post:
scotty85 (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite1 View Post
Hey Scotty, why don't we just get the bootloader unlocked, load a recovery and wipe the cache and dalvik cache, see if that works, then flash a rom from there if it doesn't?

I know the phone will still be S-on, so couldn't we just flash the kernel through fastboot after the rom install?


Also, is there a copy of the exact same RUU currently on the phone anywhere on the interwebz? We can flash it from the stock recovery if it's on the SD card.

I'm firing in 25 different directions right now, so I may not be making sense.
yup,thats certainly an option. the stock recovery is able to wipe things that a custom recovery cannot,so its unlikely that wipes in recovery will do much different. a if something is fudged up with system or boot,then reflashing a rom would certainly fix it,but unfortunately its been my experince in these situations that is usually not the case.

unlocking the bootloader and installing a recovery are part of the master plan anyway as we can use adb in recovery to change the main version.

i was hoping to find an ruu we could use to downgrade to,prior to getting into the unlocking and recovery flashing,so as not to overwhelm with directions. however, its not looking so good for finding an ruu to work... not only can we not find his exact one,but we cant seem to find one that will pass his CID check at all!

greenwood03,for lack of other options at this point,if youd like to unlock your bootloader and flash a recovery while we try and find ruus,or figure out a way to make a gold card,you are certainly welcome to. we can then walk you thru flashing the rom and boot image.

below are some "universal" directions for htcdev unlock and flashing recovery. holler if you have questions about them,and use this for recovery:
PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.zip

the drivers you allready have,along with miniadb since you did the above comands to get us the "getvar all" output

you wont be able to follow exactly,as you dont have a bootable OS. that shouldnt be a big deal,you can unlock your bootloader and install recovery with the state that your phone is in. just skip over the commands that start "adb... "

Quote:
i sometimes refer folks to my rezound guide in other forums,so i decided to make a slightly more "universal" version that i could replicate in other forums,so everyone has a dedicated guide,and there are not accidents with accidental application of rezound specific details or files. devices i am familiar with i will try and tweak and add device specific recovery downloads/info. whatever device youre working on,please feel free to post in this thread,i will be happy to assist you

before we get started,however,be aware that htcdev does have its limitations. it can be used if you only wish to add root access to delete bloat and run a few root requiring apps,but IMO it is best used as a "steppig stone" to get root for downgrade,or for other exploits to run. if s-off is availble on any "downgradeable to" firmware,i do highly recomend to try and achieve that goal if you wish to activly flash roms. im happy to help with this,as well,if needed.

the basic steps will be:
1)unlock with htcdev
2)temporarily or permanently flash a recovery
3)flash root files

before you start,go ahead and download these files:
-mini-adb.zip: mini-adb.zip
-the latest custom recovery image of your choice, for your device(post if you need help finding one)
-superuser files: for froyo use superuser 3.07 (found on revolutionary public wiki). for GB or ICS,use the latest superSU from this thread on xda (the download link is where is says: CWM installable ZIP: CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip )
-go to HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader and register an account



1)unlock with htcdev





2)flash a recovery




3)flash superuser root files*




if your device has procedures to s-off,or procedures to downgrade to more exploitable firmware,you can procede with that now

if youre considering leaving htcdev unlock,read this if you want to flash roms: s-on and want to flash roms? READ THIS

s-off is better,and worth whatever extra efforts to achieve if available.

*hope it helps,holler if you have questions

donate to my device fund
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; November 20th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 21st, 2012), Granite1 (November 22nd, 2012), sam22001 (December 28th, 2013), scary alien (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
ral
Senior Member
 
ral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,546
 
Device(s): BlackBerry Z10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 692
Thanked 955 Times in 569 Posts
Default

Quote:
ive been searching,and unable to come up with an ruu that contains "voda" in the name,or 161 in the build number. this is not looking so good for you to do a simple main version change
Here is what I found so far:

VodafonROM.rar HTC Desire HD - Vodafone Branding wiederherstellen ohne RUU [Anleitung] - I don't know exactly what it is.

RUU_Ace_Sense30_S_hTC_Asia_WWE_3.13.707.4_R_Radio_ 12.65.60.29_26.14.04.28_M.exe LINK SHIP ROM (WWE) CHO HTC DESIRE HD ★ - Trang 3 - Wrong ROM but it is the only 3.13 I can find.
ral is offline  
Last edited by ral; November 20th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ral For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (November 22nd, 2012), scotty85 (November 21st, 2012)
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:51 AM   #26 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default

OK guys i have hit a wall......
i got into the cmd part of the initial process and got as far as asking for the 'token' - by cut/pasting the cmd fastbook oem ......
to be sure i tried: cut/pasting and then typing in case of any spaces/errors....all with the same result 'error'.

A search on the web shows that the desire HD according to htc dev site ( and a few other places) requires an HBOOT upgrade and that is currently where i'm stuck as i'm loathe to pick a solution that i'm not sure/confident will sort the problem in case i make things worse!

any thoughts?
greenwood03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:35 AM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default

mm possible solution. made a call to Voda to moan about the issue, seems they are prepared to send out a replacement handset - which astounds me as a/ i was prety sure i was out of warranty b/ i'd only just had an upgrade to an HTC One S which i had decided i didnt like and subsequently sold on........they took th imei number and checked what they had to and have told me a replacement will be here tomorrow - free. I will report back then.....as there's every chance that someone will wake up their end and realise their mistake?

should i get the new one i'll come back to you guys and see how best to bullet proof for the future, have ordered another sd reader and micro sd card so perhaps making a gold card/back up is the way forward? or perhaps there's other things i ought to do.

meanwhile......appreciate the guidance that you've been kind enough to give.
chrs
mark
greenwood03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:39 AM   #28 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood03 View Post
OK guys i have hit a wall......
i got into the cmd part of the initial process and got as far as asking for the 'token' - by cut/pasting the cmd fastbook oem ......
to be sure i tried: cut/pasting and then typing in case of any spaces/errors....all with the same result 'error'.

A search on the web shows that the desire HD according to htc dev site ( and a few other places) requires an HBOOT upgrade and that is currently where i'm stuck as i'm loathe to pick a solution that i'm not sure/confident will sort the problem in case i make things worse!

any thoughts?
what error are you recieving? copy/paste your entire cmd window here and we should be able to figure it out. your 2.00.0027 hboot should be htcdev compatible allready,you can verify by a big,pink **locked** at the top of the hboot screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral View Post
good find,ral. im trying to download the first one,but rapidshare is not cooperating the second is a step above the 3.13.468 i listed,and is a good candidate id we can make a gold card

edit:
finally! downloading... ill see ifn i can figure out wat it is when i get home from work. if its a vodaphone branded ruu,we may be in business
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; November 21st, 2012 at 06:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (November 22nd, 2012)
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:20 AM   #29 (permalink)
ral
Senior Member
 
ral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,546
 
Device(s): BlackBerry Z10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 692
Thanked 955 Times in 569 Posts
Default

Sorry, did not download it myself. Still on an old 512 kbps DSL connection at home and faster mobile connection has a data cap.
ral is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ral For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (November 22nd, 2012)
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Scott.
there is no pink 'locked' on that hboot screen/page........to be 100% clear. the info on that pages starts with the model ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL thru the other 5 other lines of text which ends with sep 7 2011 19.06:24
below that is the HBOOT and below that the yellowed vol up /down etc and below that the fastboot/recovery/factory reset/simlock/image crc

the error was this:
C:\mini-adb>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
... INFO[ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [ 0.016s]
finished. total time: 0.016s

C:\mini-adb>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
... INFO[ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [ 0.016s]
finished. total time: 0.016s

C:\mini-adb>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
... INFO[ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [ 0.016s]
finished. total time: 0.016s
greenwood03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:03 AM   #31 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

ahhh my apologies,guess you do not have a compatible hboot. You will need to download the hboot ruu from the htcdev website,and install it. Just run the ruu with the phone in fsdtboot.

Once you get the compatible hboot installed,you can procede with the unlock directions
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 21st, 2012), Granite1 (November 22nd, 2012), ral (November 21st, 2012), scary alien (November 21st, 2012)
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:09 AM   #32 (permalink)
ral
Senior Member
 
ral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,546
 
Device(s): BlackBerry Z10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 692
Thanked 955 Times in 569 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
ahhh my apologies,guess you do not have a compatible hboot. You will need to download the hboot ruu from the htcdev website,and install it. Just run the ruu with the phone in fsdtboot.

Once you get the compatible hboot installed,you can procede with the unlock directions
Okay... Now I am really convinced scotty85 is a HTC Engineer masquerading as a Guide.
ral is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hi again

Iv managed to make a goldcard and i downloaded RUU_Ace_Sense30_S_hTC_Asia_WWE_3.13.707.4_R_Radio_ 12.65.60.29_26.14.04.28_M.exe LINK SHIP ROM (WWE) CHO HTC DESIRE HD ★ - Trang 3

ive tried running this and nothing is happening so i have a couple of questions

1) Do i need to put anything on the gold card?
2) Is there a guide anywhere that can show the process using the gold card
damo99078 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:11 PM   #34 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral View Post
Okay... Now I am really convinced scotty85 is a HTC Engineer masquerading as a Guide.
whaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo99078 View Post
Hi again

Iv managed to make a goldcard and i downloaded RUU_Ace_Sense30_S_hTC_Asia_WWE_3.13.707.4_R_Radio_ 12.65.60.29_26.14.04.28_M.exe LINK SHIP ROM (WWE) CHO HTC DESIRE HD ★ - Trang 3

ive tried running this and nothing is happening so i have a couple of questions

1) Do i need to put anything on the gold card?
2) Is there a guide anywhere that can show the process using the gold card
have you done the steps in post#6? your situation may be entirely different,so we cant say for sure if the ruu youve downloaded is the best option or not.

you are running the utility on the PC,correct? if the utility does not start,there may be something running on the PC thats interfering with it,or you may have an incomplete or corrupt download.

if the utility is starting,and failing,then thats a different story.

im actually not 100% sure if the utility will work with the gold card. we may need to extract rom.zip from the utility and flash it from hboot on the phone,or from fastboot on the PC.

there isnt really a guide to using the gold card. its just a specially made sd card that tells the phone its OK to ignore the CID of the rom your about to flash. if running a .exe on the PC,or running rom.zip from the PC,the gold card just needs to be present in the phone.

if we are flashing rom.zip from the gold card,in hboot mode on the phone,then the gold card must also be formatted FAT32,and the rom must be named correctly (PD98IMG) and be a signed-by-htc .zip file(since the phone is s-on).

my flyer is not superCIDed,ill try in the next day or so to run a .exe file and see if it runs with the gold card in it. that way we will know for sure that you can use a .exe or not,and if it fails wether thats normal,or your gold card isnt made quite correctly
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; November 21st, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 22nd, 2012), Granite1 (November 22nd, 2012)
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood03 View Post
Scott.
there is no pink 'locked' on that hboot screen/page.......
any luck installing the htcdev hboot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post

edit:
finally! downloading... ill see ifn i can figure out wat it is when i get home from work. if its a vodaphone branded ruu,we may be in business
bAd news... the .rar file looks like someones vodaphone nandroid backup.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 22nd, 2012), Granite1 (November 22nd, 2012), ral (November 21st, 2012)
Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:35 AM   #36 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Scott, holding back from trying the hboot unlock for 24 hrs. as i mentioned it seems Voda are going to send a replacement handset and i don't want to do anything to create a potential issue with them saying that i've tampered with it !

However my gut tells me that they've made a mistake in saying they will replace, and that i'm either going to get a call saying 'sorry' .....or that teh handset that turns up will be teh wrong one ( ie/ a handset that matches the upgrade that i got rid of - One S ).........either way til i know what they are doing ( which should be today ) will hold back.

IF and its a big IF a desire hd handset arrives then my aim will be to do wahtever is necessary to make it easier to back up/reinstate should there be future issues........so watch this space. Meantime much appreciative of your advice and help...( all of you )....
greenwood03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenwood03 For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (November 22nd, 2012), scary alien (November 22nd, 2012)
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:41 AM   #37 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood03 View Post
Scott, holding back from trying the hboot unlock for 24 hrs. as i mentioned it seems Voda are going to send a replacement handset and i don't want to do anything to create a potential issue with them saying that i've tampered with it !

However my gut tells me that they've made a mistake in saying they will replace, and that i'm either going to get a call saying 'sorry' .....or that teh handset that turns up will be teh wrong one ( ie/ a handset that matches the upgrade that i got rid of - One S ).........either way til i know what they are doing ( which should be today ) will hold back.

IF and its a big IF a desire hd handset arrives then my aim will be to do wahtever is necessary to make it easier to back up/reinstate should there be future issues........so watch this space. Meantime much appreciative of your advice and help...( all of you )....
ahh gotcha! i must have missed wherever you mentioned that

i would defaintely recomend your course of action... if they will replace it,dont mess with it. in all honesty,i believe they should replace it,even if it technically is out of warranty,since their OTA seems to have fudged it up. let us know how it goes for you.

the others watching along,if the OTA was the cause of your prollems as well,id prolly get on the phone and see what htc or your carrier will do for you. its worth a shot!
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 22nd, 2012), Granite1 (November 22nd, 2012), scary alien (November 22nd, 2012)
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:15 AM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Default

well part 1 of the exchange is done......ie/ theyve taken my old device and left me with a replacement.....
i say part one as i still have an inkling that along the line they'll realise that they messed up and will perhaps try to charge me for the unit ( we'll see ).....
but technology isn't being kind to me.....because the replacement unit is going to have to go back tomorrow because as soon as i started using it it was apparent that the speaker is junk.....tinny resonance.....urrgh.

So Scott......come tomorrow i'll be looking for pointers on the best way to future proof this new phone.
unlock? just make a gold card? .......( new card reader and micro card should arrive tomorrow as well)......

again thx for the assistance....
mark
greenwood03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:26 AM   #39 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
whaaaaa


have you done the steps in post#6? your situation may be entirely different,so we cant say for sure if the ruu youve downloaded is the best option or not.

you are running the utility on the PC,correct? if the utility does not start,there may be something running on the PC thats interfering with it,or you may have an incomplete or corrupt download.

if the utility is starting,and failing,then thats a different story.
Yes iv followed the steps in post 6 in my figures are for the most part the same. the ones which differ are the ones you would expect such as the serial number and IMEI. Everything else is mostly the same. If it would help i can post the info so you can confirm this.

with regards to the RUU, i am running it on the PC and following the steps of the utility. When iv accepted the options it gives me the message "verifying phone information" this then disappears after 30 seconds and the utility shuts down without any error messages or warning.
damo99078 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:03 AM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

C:\mini-adb>fastboot devices
HT0CNRX07371 fastboot

C:\mini-adb>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0027
INFOversion-baseband: 26.14.52.27
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: 0438
INFOversion-main: 3.13.161.5
INFOserialno: HT0CNRX07371
INFOimei: [removed by mod]
INFOproduct: ace
INFOplatform: HBOOT-7230
INFOmodelid: PD9810000
INFOcidnum: VODAP001
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 4162mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 743ca94a
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
INFOregion-id: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.010s


Heres the information anyway. as you can see its pretty much exactly the same. On a different note i contacted HTC and my warranty expired like 1 month ago. Sucks lol.
damo99078 is offline  
Last edited by D-U-R-X; May 12th, 2014 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to damo99078 For This Useful Post:
scotty85 (November 22nd, 2012)
sponsored links
Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:19 AM   #41 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo99078 View Post
Yes iv followed the steps in post 6 in my figures are for the most part the same. the ones which differ are the ones you would expect such as the serial number and IMEI. Everything else is mostly the same. If it would help i can post the info so you can confirm this.

with regards to the RUU, i am running it on the PC and following the steps of the utility. When iv accepted the options it gives me the message "verifying phone information" this then disappears after 30 seconds and the utility shuts down without any error messages or warning.

Yiu might try redownloading it. Or you can extract Rom.zip and try putting that on the gold card.

If your gold card is made correctly,you shoukd be able to.flash that one
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
ral (November 22nd, 2012)
Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:23 AM   #42 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood03 View Post
well part 1 of the exchange is done......ie/ theyve taken my old device and left me with a replacement.....
i say part one as i still have an inkling that along the line they'll realise that they messed up and will perhaps try to charge me for the unit ( we'll see ).....
but technology isn't being kind to me.....because the replacement unit is going to have to go back tomorrow because as soon as i started using it it was apparent that the speaker is junk.....tinny resonance.....urrgh.

So Scott......come tomorrow i'll be looking for pointers on the best way to future proof this new phone.
unlock? just make a gold card? .......( new card reader and micro card should arrive tomorrow as well)......

again thx for the assistance....
mark

You could prolly get by with a gold card... But my personal recomendation would be s off and supercid. That way you will always be able to run ruus.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (November 22nd, 2012), ral (November 22nd, 2012)
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
 
Granite1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,092
 
Device(s): M8, Note2(Wife) EL TEvo(retired :()
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 12,414
Thanked 6,999 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
You could prolly get by with a gold card... But my personal recomendation would be s off and supercid. That way you will always be able to run ruus.
Yup, this would be my advice as well. Root with S-off allows flashing from the bootloader, so if you get in a jam, the bootloader can get you out of it.

Plus all of the additional benefits of rooting.
Granite1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Granite1 For This Useful Post:
ral (November 22nd, 2012), scotty85 (November 23rd, 2012)
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:58 AM   #44 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo99078 View Post
Yes iv followed the steps in post 6 in my figures are for the most part the same. the ones which differ are the ones you would expect such as the serial number and IMEI. Everything else is mostly the same. If it would help i can post the info so you can confirm this.

with regards to the RUU, i am running it on the PC and following the steps of the utility. When iv accepted the options it gives me the message "verifying phone information" this then disappears after 30 seconds and the utility shuts down without any error messages or warning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
Yiu might try redownloading it. Or you can extract Rom.zip and try putting that on the gold card.

If your gold card is made correctly,you shoukd be able to.flash that one
any luck? sorry for the short reply,i was in the midst of family thanksgiving activities.

if you cannot get the utility to update the phone,you can try extracting rom.zip in the following manner:
Quote:
the .exe utilities can be finicky,so if you have trouble getting it to run, you can extract "rom.zip" in the following manner:
-start the utility
-check the "i understand" box to move on to the next screen
-hide the utility temporarily out of site
-search your C drive for "rom.zip". you will find it in a temporary location(it will be in a different spot each time you run the utility)
-open the folder location,and transfer rom.zip to a safe location on your PC.
-unhide and cancel the utility,youre done with it.
-rom.zip can be renamed to PxxxIMG and flashed in hboot,from a FAT32 sd card
once you have rom.zip moved to a safe permanent location,you can rename it to PD98IMG and place it on your sd card. boot to hboot,and hopefully the utility will find the file and ask you to update.

if your gold card is made correctly,it will update all partitions(hopefully) and then prompt you to reboot.

try and make sure the battery is fully charged prior to starting,as it will not charge in hboot or fastboot.

let us know what happens if you try it
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 23rd, 2012), damo99078 (November 23rd, 2012), Granite1 (November 23rd, 2012), scary alien (November 23rd, 2012)
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:35 AM   #45 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hi thanks for the replies and apologies I took so long I've been busy at work. Iv tried extracting the Rom file but when I open the ruu and search for Rom.zip there's nothing there. Any suggestions?
damo99078 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:50 AM   #46 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo99078 View Post
Hi thanks for the replies and apologies I took so long I've been busy at work. Iv tried extracting the Rom file but when I open the ruu and search for Rom.zip there's nothing there. Any suggestions?
did you try these directions:
Quote:
the .exe utilities can be finicky,so if you have trouble getting it to run, you can extract "rom.zip" in the following manner:
-start the utility
-check the "i understand" box to move on to the next screen
-hide the utility temporarily out of site
-search your C drive for "rom.zip". you will find it in a temporary location(it will be in a different spot each time you run the utility)
-open the folder location,and transfer rom.zip to a safe location on your PC.
-unhide and cancel the utility,youre done with it.
-rom.zip can be renamed to PxxxIMG and flashed in hboot,from a FAT32 sd card
you need to run the utility,and then search your pc for rom.zip. its not as simple as extracting the ruu
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 23rd, 2012), damo99078 (November 23rd, 2012)
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM   #47 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
did you try these directions:


you need to run the utility,and then search your pc for rom.zip. its not as simple as extracting the ruu
Yes I've tries following the directions and it finds 1 Rom.zip on my c drive which it says last modified on 04/01/2012 so I don't think that's it. Also it is a compressed folder called Rom.zip not an actual file and when I click on it it says invalid
damo99078 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo99078 View Post
Yes I've tries following the directions and it finds 1 Rom.zip on my c drive which it says last modified on 04/01/2012 so I don't think that's it. Also it is a compressed folder called Rom.zip not an actual file and when I click on it it says invalid
other than the wierd date,that sounds right. was the folder in in a location something like "c:\users\%usrename%\appdata\temp\" ?

sorry if i confused you,rom.zip should be a compressed(zipped) file,and the invalid error is common when windows tries to open an official signed-and-zipped-by-htc file.

i typically use 7 zip to extract and examine rom.zip. you can verify this rom.zip is the one you need by using 7 zip or similar to extract it(make a copy,put it into a different location,and extract that,to protect the original) and then examine the android info text document. among other things,you should find the main version that matched the file were trying to flash(3.13.707.4)

once youve verified it,go ahead and put it onthe gold card,rename,and try and flash it.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 23rd, 2012), damo99078 (November 23rd, 2012), Granite1 (December 3rd, 2012)
Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:34 PM   #49 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default



As youve probably already guessed my phone is no longer an expensive paperweight. Would like to say a big thankyou to everyone who offered advice especially you scotty
scotty85 likes this.
damo99078 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to damo99078 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 24th, 2012), Granite1 (December 3rd, 2012), scary alien (November 23rd, 2012), scotty85 (November 23rd, 2012)
Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM   #50 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo99078 View Post


As youve probably already guessed my phone is no longer an expensive paperweight. Would like to say a big thankyou to everyone who offered advice especially you scotty
awsome! so i assume that you were able to rename rom.zip and flash from your gold card?

now that you are up and running,consider running the AAHK to become superCID and s-off. that way,it will be a lil easier to recover if you get into some sort of trouble again
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (November 24th, 2012), scary alien (November 23rd, 2012)
Reply
Tags
boot, desire hd, fix, htc, issues, problem, start up, startup


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire HD > Desire HD - Support and Troubleshooting

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.