Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mouettte641's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Optimus G/One X+/Galaxy S3 ?

I'm at the end of my contract with Bell in Canada and need a new phone. I don't mind switching to another carrier if needed, but would prefer not. I currently own an iPhone 3GS.

I'm torn between the Optimus G, HTC One X+ and Galaxy S3. I need at least 32GB, so no Nexus. I use my phone for browsing, light gaming (think Angry Birds, not super hi-tech 3D stuff), texting, watching videos, music. I want something relatively futureproof, since we're stuck with 3 year contracts.

My comments on each phone :

Optimus G : except for the notification LED around the Power button, I like the design. I also like the Q-Slide function and the UI in general. Technically the best phone spec-wise with a quad core processor and 2GB RAM. Not a lot of cases available as of right now. Available next Monday.

One X+: I don't like the design that much, but it looks solid to me. Great screen and camera, which is something I like. Apparently multitasking is sketchy? Beats audio could be a nice feature since I use my phone as a music player. Available before the end of the year and I would have to switch from Bell to Telus.

Galaxy S3 : A bit larger than the other phones, which is not great with my smallish hands. Slightly older hardware (no quad core). Removable battery could be useful. I like all those gestures like the tap on the top of the phone. Available right now.


So, which one should I get ?

mouettte641 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettte641 View Post
I'm at the end of my contract with Bell in Canada and need a new phone. I don't mind switching to another carrier if needed, but would prefer not. I currently own an iPhone 3GS.

I'm torn between the Optimus G, HTC One X+ and Galaxy S3. I need at least 32GB, so no Nexus. I use my phone for browsing, light gaming (think Angry Birds, not super hi-tech 3D stuff), texting, watching videos, music. I want something relatively futureproof, since we're stuck with 3 year contracts.

My comments on each phone :

Optimus G : except for the notification LED around the Power button, I like the design. I also like the Q-Slide function and the UI in general. Technically the best phone spec-wise with a quad core processor and 2GB RAM. Not a lot of cases available as of right now. Available next Monday.

One X+: I don't like the design that much, but it looks solid to me. Great screen and camera, which is something I like. Apparently multitasking is sketchy? Beats audio could be a nice feature since I use my phone as a music player. Available before the end of the year and I would have to switch from Bell to Telus.

Galaxy S3 : A bit larger than the other phones, which is not great with my smallish hands. Slightly older hardware (no quad core). Removable battery could be useful. I like all those gestures like the tap on the top of the phone. Available right now.


So, which one should I get ?
I'd get the LG Nexus 4 over all those phones.

In terms of reliability (1 being the best, 3 being the worst):
1. Samsung Galaxy S3
2. LG Optimus G
3. HTC One X+
Ingenieur7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Need Beer and Mustard
 
breadnatty08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: District of Columbia
Posts: 17,773
 
Device(s): LG G2, Moto G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7, HTC Flyer
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,735
Thanked 5,421 Times in 3,574 Posts
Default

If storage is the most important feature, I would choose an S3. It's the only one with an SD Card slot.
__________________
New to the forum? Check out the FAQ
Haven't signed up? Join the best Android Forum out there!
Sign up here
breadnatty08 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mouettte641's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnatty08 View Post
If storage is the most important feature, I would choose an S3. It's the only one with an SD Card slot.
Actually, the AT&T model (which is what we're getting up here, I think) of the LG also has a SD Card slot. The 64GB of the HTC would be enough too.
mouettte641 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 446
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 92 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenieur7 View Post
I'd get the LG Nexus 4 over all those phones.

In terms of reliability (1 being the best, 3 being the worst):
1. Samsung Galaxy S3
2. LG Optimus G
3. HTC One X+
What is this based from? Personal Opinion?

HTC's build quality and support are excellent and have been solid throughout the run of their flagship phones.. EVO, EVO 3D, EVO 4G, HTC One X+ these are flagship not the side EVO knockoffs or inspires or what not. Samsung matches these qualities fairly well. LG has yet to prove themselves in this industry.. although this doesn't mean anything.
__________________
www.MustangEvolution.com
SaleenFiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mouettte641's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
HTC's build quality and support are excellent and have been solid throughout the run of their flagship phones.. EVO, EVO 3D, EVO 4G, HTC One X+ these are flagship not the side EVO knockoffs or inspires or what not. Samsung matches these qualities fairly well. LG has yet to prove themselves in this industry.. although this doesn't mean anything.

I handled the HTC One X and it felt better in my hand than the S3. It looked more solid. I'm not a fan the camera bump however. Can't say anything about the LG, it isn't released here yet.

Like you said, LG still have to prove themselves, but if Google can trust them, I guess I can trust them too.
mouettte641 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Killer Psychologist
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,782
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SIII mini (i8190)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 140
Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,942 Posts
Default

I'd prefer the HTC in terms of build quality, but in terms of software I prefer Samsung. As for LG, honestly I'd rather stay away from them. An LG Nexus is well and good enough simply because its a Nexus and Google will handle software development. But if we're talking about branded devices here, LG sucks. Their Android flavor sucks IMO and does not make the most out of the hardware given it. Spec for spec, historically speaking, same spec'd phones for Samsung and HTC outperformed LG. There is a reason why those two sell loads more than LG, and that's because they're more reliable.
__________________
https://shared.com?ref=51950 100GB free storage. WOW.

Worried about your health? Take the True Health Assessment now! Click HERE
chanchan05 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mouettte641's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Do a quad core processor really matters in the long run? I was minded on buying a quad core LTE phone, hoping it would still be relevant in two years.
mouettte641 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Killer Psychologist
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,782
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SIII mini (i8190)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 140
Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,942 Posts
Default

It depends on the quad core. Mainly you see, the dual core A15 on the SIII is actually as powerful as the quad core A9s you see on the OneX and the international SIII because these are newer generation processors (which makes the Optimus G's quad A15s that much more powerful).

However, multiple core processors would really only matter depending on what you do with your device. My single core Galaxy S is still running happily even after two years, and mainly the only things it can't run well anymore are the newer games. So in your place, mainly due to LG's own history on unreliability and late updates (its dual core Optimus 2X actually got the Gingerbread update one year after the Galaxy S did), I'd pick the SIII or the OneX over it.
chanchan05 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanchan05 For This Useful Post:
mouettte641 (November 8th, 2012)
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default

The SGS3 is the best choice IMO. Why do you think the SGS3 is the only real seller in the Android market right now? It's because it's reliable, has gotten the best reviews from tech experts and is the most ergonomic and appealing to consumers.

I would stay clear of the Optimus G because it has LG software. If you want the Optimus G, get the LG Nexus 4. Exactly the same phone but with Google optimized software. And you never have to worry about Android updates.

Whatever you do don't get the HTC One X+. HTC phones have many problems like WiFi death grip (basically can't connect to the Internet sometimes) because of poor antenna build quality, not very ergonomic and can only record videos at 19 FPS not 30 FPS because of poor camera build quality.
Ingenieur7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingenieur7 For This Useful Post:
mouettte641 (November 12th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mouettte641's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenieur7 View Post
The SGS3 is the best choice IMO. Why do you think the SGS3 is the only real seller in the Android market right now? It's because it's reliable, has gotten the best reviews from tech experts and is the most ergonomic and appealing to consumers.

I would stay clear of the Optimus G because it has LG software. If you want the Optimus G, get the LG Nexus 4. Exactly the same phone but with Google optimized software. And you never have to worry about Android updates.

Whatever you do don't get the HTC One X+. HTC phones have many problems like WiFi death grip (basically can't connect to the Internet sometimes) because of poor antenna build quality, not very ergonomic and can only record videos at 19 FPS not 30 FPS because of poor camera build quality.
The Nexus 4 isn't exactly the same phone. The lack of removal storage (or decent capacity) is a big deal breaker for me.

I didn't know these things about the HTC. I guess I'll go with the Samsung.
mouettte641 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Hadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dimension Jumping
Posts: 11,547
 
Device(s): HTC One (S-Off), HTC Desire (retired)
Carrier: Orange UK

Thanks: 2,153
Thanked 4,783 Times in 3,475 Posts
Default

As it was the One X+ you were interested in then problems of early One X models may not apply. In fact a couple of reviews I've read explicitly said there were no "death grip" effects. No idea about video as that doesn't interest me and so I skip that part of reviews.
__________________
Forum Rules & Guidelines - Android Forums FAQ
If a post helps you, use the Thanks! button.
Spam or offensive? Don't respond, report it /!\
Hadron is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mouettte641's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I didn't use the video camera on my phone that much since the resolution was poor and my Panasonic camera filmed in 720p, but if the phone can do HD videos, there's no way I would be happy with 19 fps.


While we're on the subject of death grips, I use my phone with my left hand, would that cause any problems with the Galaxy S III or HTC One X ?
mouettte641 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Hadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dimension Jumping
Posts: 11,547
 
Device(s): HTC One (S-Off), HTC Desire (retired)
Carrier: Orange UK

Thanks: 2,153
Thanked 4,783 Times in 3,475 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettte641 View Post
I didn't use the video camera on my phone that much since the resolution was poor and my Panasonic camera filmed in 720p, but if the phone can do HD videos, there's no way I would be happy with 19 fps.
OK, I gave in and read the "video recording" section of the GSMarena review, and the first thing it says is:

"The One X+ records 1080p or 720p videos at 28fps and it can snap photos simultaneously."
Hadron is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 446
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 92 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenieur7 View Post
Whatever you do don't get the HTC One X+. HTC phones have many problems like WiFi death grip (basically can't connect to the Internet sometimes) because of poor antenna build quality, not very ergonomic and can only record videos at 19 FPS not 30 FPS because of poor camera build quality.
The video recording quality is great. It doesn't record at 19fps and the camera has plenty of great feature. Haven't heard of or ever experienced the WiFi deathgrip.
SaleenFiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 446
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 92 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettte641 View Post
I didn't use the video camera on my phone that much since the resolution was poor and my Panasonic camera filmed in 720p, but if the phone can do HD videos, there's no way I would be happy with 19 fps.


While we're on the subject of death grips, I use my phone with my left hand, would that cause any problems with the Galaxy S III or HTC One X ?

I am also a lefty. No problems here on the One X or EVO 4G LTE.
SaleenFiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mouettte641's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Going to the store tonight. I'll try to play with each phone to see which one I like better.
mouettte641 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettte641 View Post
Going to the store tonight. I'll try to play with each phone to see which one I like better.
Just remember that HTC has more QC issues than Samsung.

I suspect the WiFi death grip issue exists with the One X+.
Ingenieur7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mouettte641's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Only had the time to play with the Optimus G, I couldn't compare with the others. I was able to try a S III, but they were locked to the table, so I couldn't test the feeling in my hand. The HTC wasn't available for demonstration, I couldn't test the UI.

My impressions with the LG were quite favorable. Wasn't impressed by the 8MP camera (pictures looked a bit washed), but I liked the UI in general, more than TouchWiz. The phone reacted quickly and smoothly. Really liked the size and feel of the device, except maybe for the sharp edges around the phone. I'll be putting it in a case anyway. No expandable storage, comes with 32GB. Phone is $129 with a 3-year contract.

LG or not, it's a tempting phone.

The Samsung is $159 for the 16GB with a 3-year contract, but it sometimes drop to $0. No word on the One X+, but the regular One X is $99.

Waiting for potential Black Friday sales to take a decision.
mouettte641 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 446
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 92 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenieur7 View Post
Just remember that HTC has more QC issues than Samsung.

I suspect the WiFi death grip issue exists with the One X+.
On what statistics are you basing this from?

BTW I spent almost 30 mins last night messing around with my girlfriends One X and My EVO LTE trying to create a 'Wifi Death Grip' I used apps such as WiFi analyzer and speedtest and found no difference whether I wrapped my whole body around the phone or Palmer it in my hand in anyway. This.may have been an.issue in a few people's phones but this I not a problem on every model.
SaleenFiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 15th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mouettte641's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Samsung Galaxy Note 2ís multi-window feature coming to Galaxy S3

If this is true, I'm buying the Samsung.
mouettte641 is offline  
Last edited by mouettte641; November 15th, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Killer Psychologist
 
chanchan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,782
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SL (I9003), Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (P6200), Samsung Galaxy SIII mini (i8190)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 140
Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,942 Posts
Default

LG Optimus G v Samsung Galaxy S III: Beast wars - GSMArena.com

You may want to read this. Despite the newer more powerful chipset, the Optimus G disappointed the guys at GSMArena. They were expecting something far better, not something that the 5month old SGSIII can still actually compete against with the performance actually being negligible. And to add the fact that LG completely sucks at giving device updates, I'd still say stay away from them.
chanchan05 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
bell, canada, galaxy s3, one x+, optimus g


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.