Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MrsJennyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Female
Posts: 51
 
Device(s): Moto G
Carrier: Page Plus

Thanks: 18
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Notsure Choosing from among Verizon's offerings

Oh you don't know how much I loathe the idea of being a "which phone should I get" person, but I'm at my wits end.

I'm on Verizon and want to stay with Verizon. They have the most reliable coverage and broadest 4GLTE coverage in my area. It's time to renew my contract and get a new phone.

I've had a Motorola Droid 2 Global for two years now and it has turned into absolute crap. It never updated past Gingerbread and I don't know whether that has anything to do with the problems I have, but the thing has slowed down to the point where it often takes 15 seconds to connect when I make a phone call. It has slowed down in general, it's become very quirky, and some of my apps just don't seem to work right anymore. Could this have to do with the old operating system? Plus the screen is cracked. :-/

Anyway - I'm looking at the phones available and I've been lusting after the DNA or SGS3. But then I started thinking... What do I really want from a phone? I don't stream movies or music. I take snapshots of my kids and the occasional 90-second video of them. I don't play games on the phone other than Sudoku and Draw Something. I use apps like Gas Buddy, Astrid, Grocery King and the like. I text a lot and use the phone to tweet, browse the Internet (forums, cnn, etc), and Facebook myself to death. oh, and I tend to drop my phone a fair amount. :-/ Toddlers are very snatchy.

So I guess I don't really need the super-duperest phone out there. My main wish was to have the latest operating system possible so that I'm not several updates behind within 6-9 months. I can't believe some phones are still shipping with 2.3!! And it needs to be fast. I'm sick to death of lag, lag, lag. I like the idea of a bigger screen but I don't really want to get into tablet territory or anything.

I have been looking at Verizon's offerings until my eyes feel like they are bleeding. I still don't know what to do. I don't mind paying up to $200 but don't want to pay that if it's unnecessary. I don't think I feel confident enough to root or modify my phone. Maybe I could play around with that with the old Droid, but in the meantime I want stock. What do you think?

Heavy sigh,
Jenny

Advertisements
MrsJennyK is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default Re: Choosing from among Verizon's offerings

Hmm, I have the DNA and love it. I am very pleased with the camera on it, especially the video camera, and the screen is great, even if you aren't watching HD movies.

Although one thing to remember with it is it doesn't have expandable storage, so if you take a lot of pics and videos you will have to download them onto a PC to clear up space eventually.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntimonyER For This Useful Post:
breadnatty08 (February 4th, 2013), MrsJennyK (February 3rd, 2013)
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,225
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 14,742
Thanked 12,533 Times in 7,231 Posts
Default Re: Choosing from among Verizon's offerings

If you want updates, you want a nexus device. Unfortunately, Verizon just killed off the Gnex and Google didn't make a CDMA compatible nexus 4.

Big red seems to be one of the worst at getting devices android version updates quickly. They just announced the tbolt getting ics, after many users thought they had been long forgotten.

With updates slow, pick a device that you like "now", not one for something you hope it receives in the future. That way you'll never be disappointed.
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
MrsJennyK (February 3rd, 2013)
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MrsJennyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Female
Posts: 51
 
Device(s): Moto G
Carrier: Page Plus

Thanks: 18
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Does performance with apps, FB, and things as simple as connecting with the bluetooth feature in my car suffer for not having the latest OS? One of my main concerns is that it appears many of the not-the-latest phones still have 2.x when Android is already up to 4.x

I don't know why my current phone has turned into such a miserable little thing. It sometimes takes 15-20 seconds for it to connect a phone call. The bluetooth connection with my car is really iffy. Last week I wondered why I hardly had any texts from anyone, and then yesterday I suddenly had alerts for about 20 of them. They hadn't been coming through. I've assumed all of this is because of an old OS but maybe I'm wrong. I am only "allowed" to get a new phone once every couple of years (my husband thinks this is a ridiculous waste of money) which is why I'm feeling so OCD about it. If I make the wrong choice I'm stuck.

ETA: I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but I'm a SAHM and I connect to the Internet via wifi most of the time. I'm also sort of obsessed with having 4G LTE but that's really pretty silly of me.
MrsJennyK is online now  
Last edited by MrsJennyK; February 3rd, 2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added info
Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,225
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 14,742
Thanked 12,533 Times in 7,231 Posts
Default Re: Choosing from among Verizon's offerings

The texts/calling issues seem network related. I would give Verizon a call first and make sure there hasn't been any service disruptions in your area.
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MrsJennyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Female
Posts: 51
 
Device(s): Moto G
Carrier: Page Plus

Thanks: 18
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
The texts/calling issues seem network related. I would give Verizon a call first and make sure there hasn't been any service disruptions in your area.
It's been this way for months and months now, getting progressively worse as time goes by, so I don't think it's a network problem. It happens no matter where in the area I am too.
MrsJennyK is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 10,285
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 3,140
Thanked 6,952 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Re: Choosing from among Verizon's offerings

Have you ever factory reset your devices to see if that cleans things up a bit?

As for new devices, It might seem silly to spend a lot of money on a new device, but with the reality of 2 year contracts, you're going to want a device that stands a good chance of lasting that time frame. Buying a device that is older already puts you behind the curve hardware wise and lessens this chance. Either of those phones would seem like good choices, with the S3 being more versatile. The problem with the S3 is that we are probably 2-3 months away from the S4 being released. Also with the DNA, there are rumors of the HTC M7 showing up as being a great device too. Plus there are A LOT of people on this website that are anxious to learn more about this Google/Motorola X phone. Just more things to keep in mind if you think you can hold out a bit longer.
__________________
Site Rules/Guidelines / Meet the Team
If something needs attention, Report it .
If someone helped you, hit to show it.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
MrsJennyK (February 3rd, 2013)
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MrsJennyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Female
Posts: 51
 
Device(s): Moto G
Carrier: Page Plus

Thanks: 18
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I talked to Verizon today and even though my contract has ended, I'm on month-to-month right now and it doesn't increase my bill. This means I can really take my time in deciding on an upgrade. As for the rumored new devices coming out in the next few months, are they likely to come in at above the $200 mark w/contract? Would the SG3 or DNA likely go down in price at that time? That would definitely inform my decision.

I am now interested in doing a factory reset to see if that will reasonably extend the life of my D2G. It terrifies me though, so I've posted a "hold my hand for factory reset" thread in the D2G forum. :-)
MrsJennyK is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Schmear me up.
 
breadnatty08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: District of Columbia
Posts: 19,300
 
Device(s): LG G2, Moto G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7, HTC Flyer
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 6,287
Thanked 5,910 Times in 3,883 Posts
Default Re: Choosing from among Verizon's offerings

The Razr Maxx HD is also a fine choice. Given what you're using your phone for, a bleeding edge technology one doesn't seem necessary.
Doubt the M7 will come to Verizon since it's essentially the same as the DNA. I'd recommend at least waiting for MWC to see if anything amazing is announced.
__________________
New to the forum? Check out the FAQ
Haven't signed up? Join the best Android Forum out there!
Sign up here
breadnatty08 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 17,308
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 32,708
Thanked 14,914 Times in 7,301 Posts
Default

Hey there, Jenny--welcome to the AndroidForums!

Sounds like you're getting great advice up there from our awesome staff and membership.

Just thought I'd chime-in real quick with what I know used to be a problem with slow call-in or call-out times and that was the size of the call log history.

I never experienced this myself, but seem to remember this being a big issue on the Eris and that trimming the call log history seemed to help this (although it might actually just have been an issue with incoming calls taking a long time to pickup--I'm not 100% sure).

I've got my son's old D2G at home that I can check when I get home to see what the exact directions would be to try to clean that up to see if it might help. There are also call log trimming apps out there in the Play Market, but it might be better to try to do it manually from within your existing setup first.

I'll check that and get back with you if you would like.

Cheers!
scary alien is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MrsJennyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Female
Posts: 51
 
Device(s): Moto G
Carrier: Page Plus

Thanks: 18
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Wow - I've never heard of that or even thought of it! I'm trying to do a factory reset now to just start over. I'm guessing that should clear out the call log too.
MrsJennyK is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsJennyK For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (February 4th, 2013)
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 17,308
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 32,708
Thanked 14,914 Times in 7,301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJennyK View Post
Wow - I've never heard of that or even thought of it! I'm trying to do a factory reset now to just start over. I'm guessing that should clear out the call log too.
To clear the call history on the Droid 2 Global running Android 2.3.3:

- select the Dialer app
- select the Recent tab
- press the Menu button
- select the Clear List option

Hope that helps!

scary alien is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 81
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default Get any phone you want, then flash it!

Totally understand you wanting to stay with Verizon, but, why be limited to only the phones they offer? Find a CDMA phone that you like, and then have it flashed to Verizon by a professional phone flashing service! It's legal, and not only can it save you a lot of money, but you get just about any phone you want.

I.E. I've been on Boost Mobile. While I've generally be very happy with them, I live in the PNW and their coverage in rural areas is pretty abysmal. Nobody has better rural coverage than Verizon. So, I searched for what phone had the features I wanted (got the HTC Evo 4G LTE--found a new one on feeBay for $200) and then paid to have it flashed to Verizon. Now I'm prepaid, not locked into a contract, and I have a great phone that I really like but I'm using it on Verizon's network. I get unlimited web, text, and data for $50 a mo. with no contract.

DW
Droidwerks is offline  
Last edited by Droidwerks; February 8th, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 17,308
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 32,708
Thanked 14,914 Times in 7,301 Posts
Default

Just a quick note here that, typically, in the US, only the carriers themselves are legally allowed to flash a device to the destination network.

So, caveat emptor re. those flashing services .

Thanks!
scary alien is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 81
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary alien View Post
Just a quick note here that, typically, in the US, only the carriers themselves are legally allowed to flash a device to the destination network.

So, caveat emptor re. those flashing services .

Thanks!
While I'm new to rooting and flashing and by no means an expert, my research suggests that you're wrong when you say that only the carriers themselves are legally allowed to flash a phone.

It's my understanding that the DCMA ruling in July 2010 made it legal to unlock, root, and flash your phone. The essence of the ruling was that once you own the phone outright, you're free to do with it as you please in terms of what apps you can run and what carrier you choose to use.

See here: http://blogcritics.org/scitech/article/how-to-flash-or-reprogram-your/

The most recent change to the law that took effect 1/26/13 still allows for rooting, flashing, etc. except that now you are supposed to ask for permission from the original carrier. Note however that this DOES NOT APPLY to any phone sold before 1/26/13 as those phones are grandfathered in.

If anyone has any specific legal citations that show that phone flashing is illegal, I would very much like to see them.

DW
Droidwerks is offline  
Last edited by Droidwerks; February 11th, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,319
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,705
Thanked 57,136 Times in 22,960 Posts
Default

Ok, there's a lot of confusion here.

Jailbreaking iDevices came under dispute, so the Library of Congress said it wasn't an issue, but the warranty could be voided. Android rooting has gotten lumped into that, even though we don't jailbreak (and leave the DRM-protected ecosystem), we root (and in many cases, get more access to more DRM-[rptected content).

The removal of exemptions for carrier-locking of phones does not appear to apply to CDMA phones because of a) the wording the removal of the exemption and b) the fact that CDMA phones are not locked.

There is some dispute on this, with some saying that a phone identity transfer from a donor CDMA phone to a new one is legal, while others insist that if that process includes an ESN number change, it's never legal.

The laws and legal discussions on this go back several years and approach the size of a suburban phone directory.

Flashing is a term that comes from the fact that the so-called rom on smartphones is in fact nand-logic flash memory (read: like a USB stick) - and to flash means to install, and flashing means installing.

So - if we're going to discuss anything on this, let's please use clear terms -

- flashing ought not be used to mean something it doesn't

- unlocking does not apply to CDMA devices, but other factors may

- rooting is not at issue

- bootloader treatment also uses the term, unlocking, but that has nothing to do with GSM carrier locking

- transferring CDMA phone identities is not the same as cloning identities

- cloning is strictly illegal

- a number of services claim that they're working within the law

- a number of service firms have been sued out of existence by the carriers because they were shown to be in violation of the law

- Straight Talk may not be the best model in the world to use as an example here

- as things stand now, if your phone involves a GSM sim, depending on various factors, you may need carrier permission to unlock your phone (and in fact, they may do it for you)

And so while much of this is interesting, little applies to the question at hand.

If you want to try to change a CDMA's phone identity legally yourself, proceed with caution, despite the fact that Mr. Google will tell you how easy it is.

Hope this helps!
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (February 12th, 2013), scary alien (February 11th, 2013)
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,319
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,705
Thanked 57,136 Times in 22,960 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidwerks View Post
Totally understand you wanting to stay with Verizon, but, why be limited to only the phones they offer? Find a CDMA phone that you like, and then have it flashed to Verizon by a professional phone flashing service! It's legal, and not only can it save you a lot of money, but you get just about any phone you want.

I.E. I've been on Boost Mobile. While I've generally be very happy with them, I live in the PNW and their coverage in rural areas is pretty abysmal. Nobody has better rural coverage than Verizon. So, I searched for what phone had the features I wanted (got the HTC Evo 4G LTE--found a new one on feeBay for $200) and then paid to have it flashed to Verizon. Now I'm prepaid, not locked into a contract, and I have a great phone that I really like but I'm using it on Verizon's network. I get unlimited web, text, and data for $50 a mo. with no contract.

DW
If you're on Verizon using their services, fine. If you're on Boost using Verizon services, that's another matter entirely.

And note - just because someone claimed that their service was legal - only means that maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

That's nothing on you personally.

Without downloading everything to confirm - just seeing that no donor phone was involved - that's the age-old instructions for cloning - strictly illegal.
EarlyMon is online now  
Last edited by EarlyMon; February 11th, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
scary alien (February 11th, 2013)
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 81
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
If you're on Verizon using their services, fine. If you're on Boost using Verizon services, that's another matter entirely.

And note - just because someone claimed that their service was legal - only means that maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.
Very true! However, the company I used has been in business for 7 years, pays taxes, etc. and has only had 2 or 3 BBB complaints.


Quote:
Without downloading everything to confirm - just seeing that no donor phone was involved - that's the age-old instructions for cloning - strictly illegal.
The flashing company I used did use a donor phone.

DW
Droidwerks is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidwerks For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (February 12th, 2013), scary alien (February 11th, 2013)
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 81
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
Ok, there's a lot of confusion here.

Jailbreaking iDevices came under dispute, so the Library of Congress said it wasn't an issue, but the warranty could be voided. Android rooting has gotten lumped into that, even though we don't jailbreak (and leave the DRM-protected ecosystem), we root (and in many cases, get more access to more DRM-[rptected content).

The removal of exemptions for carrier-locking of phones does not appear to apply to CDMA phones because of a) the wording the removal of the exemption and b) the fact that CDMA phones are not locked.

There is some dispute on this, with some saying that a phone identity transfer from a donor CDMA phone to a new one is legal, while others insist that if that process includes an ESN number change, it's never legal.

The laws and legal discussions on this go back several years and approach the size of a suburban phone directory.

Flashing is a term that comes from the fact that the so-called rom on smartphones is in fact nand-logic flash memory (read: like a USB stick) - and to flash means to install, and flashing means installing.

So - if we're going to discuss anything on this, let's please use clear terms -

- flashing ought not be used to mean something it doesn't

- unlocking does not apply to CDMA devices, but other factors may

- rooting is not at issue

- bootloader treatment also uses the term, unlocking, but that has nothing to do with GSM carrier locking

- transferring CDMA phone identities is not the same as cloning identities

- cloning is strictly illegal

- a number of services claim that they're working within the law

- a number of service firms have been sued out of existence by the carriers because they were shown to be in violation of the law

- Straight Talk may not be the best model in the world to use as an example here

- as things stand now, if your phone involves a GSM sim, depending on various factors, you may need carrier permission to unlock your phone (and in fact, they may do it for you)

And so while much of this is interesting, little applies to the question at hand.

If you want to try to change a CDMA's phone identity legally yourself, proceed with caution, despite the fact that Mr. Google will tell you how easy it is.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for taking the time to clear up all these terms--much appreciated!
Droidwerks is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidwerks For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (February 12th, 2013), scary alien (February 11th, 2013)
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.