Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dibblebill
  • 2 Post By ouch1976

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default Suggestions on a new 10" tablet?

I have an Acer Iconia a500 and its still going strong (ANDROID 4.2 REPRESENT and all that). However, its getting on in age, and there's bugs w/ 4.2 on the Tegra 2 chipset.

Here's why I bought taht Iconia. 10" tablet with 720p screen... The full USB port at the time was a must, no longer is a must-have. Build quality was and still is good. Also, open platform. Alas, official support has ended and I'm tooling with mostly stable (good enough for daily use ) 4.2.1 ROM's.

Here's my requirements.
-It must be 10"
-Definitely want it to be $499 or below.
-Heavily skinned tablets are not a consideration unless its easy to root and replace the ROM
-Rootability (Can it be rooted, and does it stick?)
-Do NOT want a 3G tablet, or 4G

Would LIKE but not required:
-MicroSD card slot (Not required... Streaming media and cloud storage offset normal use, use it for Titanium backup mostly)
-CM10 availability
-Full-sized USB port, or a microUSB that has a full USB adapter (adapter can be separate), as I use it with cameras, keyboards, etc sometimes (though again, not required... WiFi, cloud storage, Bluetooth, etc)


What suggestions do you guys have? Also, should I hold out for Android 5 (Key Lime Pie) and/or Tegra 4, at this point?

__________________
Lord of the Snark™
ROM's:
Tempest [OmniROM] 4.4 (Manta) (m7att)
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,369
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,837 Times in 3,296 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibblebill View Post
I have an Acer Iconia a500 and its still going strong (ANDROID 4.2 REPRESENT and all that). However, its getting on in age, and there's bugs w/ 4.2 on the Tegra 2 chipset.

Here's why I bought taht Iconia. 10" tablet with 720p screen... The full USB port at the time was a must, no longer is a must-have. Build quality was and still is good. Also, open platform. Alas, official support has ended and I'm tooling with mostly stable (good enough for daily use ) 4.2.1 ROM's.

Here's my requirements.
-It must be 10"
-Definitely want it to be $499 or below.
-Heavily skinned tablets are not a consideration unless its easy to root and replace the ROM
-Rootability (Can it be rooted, and does it stick?)
-Do NOT want a 3G tablet, or 4G

Would LIKE but not required:
-MicroSD card slot (Not required... Streaming media and cloud storage offset normal use, use it for Titanium backup mostly)
-CM10 availability
-Full-sized USB port, or a microUSB that has a full USB adapter (adapter can be separate), as I use it with cameras, keyboards, etc sometimes (though again, not required... WiFi, cloud storage, Bluetooth, etc)


What suggestions do you guys have? Also, should I hold out for Android 5 (Key Lime Pie) and/or Tegra 4, at this point?
It sounds like the Nexus 10 is almost the perfect device for you. Outside of the micro sd card, it has EVERYTHING you desire. No skin whatsoever, is 10", starts at 399 for 16gb, 499 for 32gb, is quite possibly the easiest tablet(along with Nexus 7) for rooting and romming, it has CM 10.1, no cell radio, and has a micro usb instead of a proprietary port. Because of this, you can buy a USB OTG cable to allow you to mount usb storage or other usb devices.
__________________
Site Rules/Guidelines / Meet the Team
If something needs attention, Report it .
If someone helped you, hit to show it.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (February 6th, 2013)
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

to be honest i would wait and see what comes out of the MWC in a few weeks. i know that asus and samsung will be announcing new tablets then.

but as of now i would think that google's nexus 10, asus transformer infinity, and samsung's note 10.1 are great devices. now none of them have a usb port built in. the note has an adapter that you can plug into the charge port to get usb. the infinity has the keyboard dock that has a full usb port. not sure about an adapter for the nexus 10 though.
__________________
“The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.”.......Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe
“I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be.”.......Douglas Adams
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shelliewnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 846
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 :), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, Pantech Burst updated to ICS (retired)
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 214
Thanked 193 Times in 159 Posts
Default

I am slowly becoming a samsung fangirl, so i vote for the tab 2 10". i have the 7" and love it. it comes in 16 and 32 from what i understand, and also has a micro sd slot. no micro usb tho.
shelliewnj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelliewnj View Post
I am slowly becoming a samsung fangirl, so i vote for the tab 2 10". i have the 7" and love it. it comes in 16 and 32 from what i understand, and also has a micro sd slot. no micro usb tho.
for the price of the tab 2 10. it is a good deal. but the note 10.1 is much better then the tab 2. i mean quad core vs a dual core. the note is going to be more faster. plus the note has photoshop and the s pen which is integrated into the tablet really well.

the note 3 is supposed to be announced during the MWC coming up. i'm curious to what the specs on it will be.
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

Question on the Note 2: What is its retail/Where do I find a new one w/ the pen and premium suite (and cost)? I can only find refurbs. So far it looks like the Note 10.1 or the Nexus 10.
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibblebill View Post
Question on the Note 2: What is its retail/Where do I find a new one w/ the pen and premium suite (and cost)? I can only find refurbs. So far it looks like the Note 10.1 or the Nexus 10.
the s pen will only work with a note 10.1 and will not work with the tab 2

here is the Samsung - Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with 16GB Memory - Titanium Silver
ocnbrze is offline  
Last edited by ocnbrze; February 6th, 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnbrze View Post
the s pen will only work with a note 10.1 and will not work with the tab 2

here is the Samsung - Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with 16GB Memory - Titanium Silver
My mistake. The new (not refurb, though if I were guaranteed the refurb included the pen I'd consider it) Note 10.1 is the one I'm having trouble finding... I keep coming across refurbs. Do all refurbs have to come with the pen?
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibblebill View Post
My mistake. The new (not refurb, though if I were guaranteed the refurb included the pen I'd consider it) Note 10.1 is the one I'm having trouble finding... I keep coming across refurbs. Do all refurbs have to come with the pen?
Samsung - Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet with 16GB Memory - Deep Gray
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ocnbrze For This Useful Post:
dibblebill (February 6th, 2013)
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

Thanks. I saw tihs one, as well.

Samsung Refurbished Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet with 16GB Memory GT-N8013-EA16ARB - Best Buy

I may go for a refurb model. I've never purchased refurb phones/tabs, just desktops... Should I avoid refurb, or is premature MMC death not an issue?
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

i would stay away from refurbs, but that is up to you. you still have manufacturer's warranty and you could get the geek squad protection just in case. but they can more of a headache if you do get a lemon. new ones, i think there is less chance of getting a lemon IMHO.
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ocnbrze For This Useful Post:
dibblebill (February 6th, 2013)
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

At that price tag... I'm going to wait a few months. Want to see if KLP debuts this spring, and if a new Nexus 10 running KLP debuts. Then, hoping it retains the current $399 price tag and gets new specs, I may get it. If not, maybe a new Note will make the current 10.1 come down in price. However, it'll def. be eitehr a Nexus 10 or Note 10.1... The Note is skinned, but in a good way.
ocnbrze likes this.
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dibblebill For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (February 6th, 2013)
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

yeah i would wait at least until after MWC, we will know more about some of the new tablets coming out.

and keep in mind that the nexus 10 or any nexus device is very easy to root. once KLP source code is released you will see roms available with KLP before the actual release.

not sure on how rootable the samsung note is or will be.
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ocnbrze For This Useful Post:
dibblebill (February 6th, 2013)
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

The Note is rootable and already has CM distro's. I just wouldn't, because I really, really like that window feature...

More likely will be the Nexus 10. I'd LOVE to get my fiancee the Note 10.1 for an anniversary, but that's too pricey (she just got a Asus TF300 off of Woot anyway), even though she'd love sketching on it... We'll see.

EDIT: Belay that. Just in time for my next paycheck!
dibblebill is online now  
Last edited by dibblebill; February 6th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dibblebill For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (February 6th, 2013)
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

Mobile World Congress Feb 25-28,2013 Preview
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ocnbrze For This Useful Post:
dibblebill (February 6th, 2013)
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnbrze View Post
yeah... My quesiton was a derp one. I googled it immediately and had my answer (hence the edit ) Thanks anyway! I'll wait and see... Maybe grab a new Nexus this summer. I love the ported ROM's, but if I can get a Nexus KLP factory, I'd rather do that than have a ported one. More stable.
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dibblebill For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (February 6th, 2013)
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

Update: Went to Best Buy and played with the Note 10.1. LOVE the S Pen... Not enough to justify +$100 (that and Window and Photoshop not enough at ALL) extra, when I can get a Nexus 10 32GB for the same price.
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

did you play with the transformer infinity? it is the one i have and i love it. i also bought thre keyboard dock as well. i use it more then i do my laptop.

but yeah the nexus 10 is a great tablet.
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnbrze View Post
did you play with the transformer infinity? it is the one i have and i love it. i also bought thre keyboard dock as well. i use it more then i do my laptop.

but yeah the nexus 10 is a great tablet.
I did, but I've seen horror stories about cracked screens via the dock. I was sorely tempted by it (sans dock). But the higher DPI of the Nexus 10 swayed me this time. Asus powers my laptop (n56V) and my desktop (Sabertooth X58)
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

really? i have not heard of those. my dock kicks ass!!!!!! when i first got it, i freaked my friends out by detaching it and showing them that it is not a computer but a tablet.

plus with the dock i get almost 15 hours of battery life with a heavy amount of streaming music, watching movies, and surfing on the net. plus the usb port is amazing!!!!! i can attach my ps3 controller and play some of my games with it. not to mention that i can use my portable hard drive to swap files and stuff if i need it.

the keyboard dock is the main reason why i bought the infinity. however, the nexus 10 was second in my book and then the note 10.1 would be next.
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnbrze View Post
really? i have not heard of those. my dock kicks ass!!!!!! when i first got it, i freaked my friends out by detaching it and showing them that it is not a computer but a tablet.

plus with the dock i get almost 15 hours of battery life with a heavy amount of streaming music, watching movies, and surfing on the net. plus the usb port is amazing!!!!! i can attach my ps3 controller and play some of my games with it. not to mention that i can use my portable hard drive to swap files and stuff if i need it.

the keyboard dock is the main reason why i bought the infinity. however, the nexus 10 was second in my book and then the note 10.1 would be next.
That heirarchy is almost what I came to. What I kept seeing with the TF700 and the TF300 my fiancee just got was that the dock woudl crack the screen, sometimes while closed, sometimes while left open for extended periods of itme. Because honestly, I love hte idea of the 15 hour 'netbook' But for what I do with my hardware, the Nexus is probably best since I put it through a lot. My Acer's gone through 4-5 ROM's, 3 boot loaders, 8 recoveries, etc...
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,369
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,837 Times in 3,296 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibblebill View Post
That heirarchy is almost what I came to. What I kept seeing with the TF700 and the TF300 my fiancee just got was that the dock woudl crack the screen, sometimes while closed, sometimes while left open for extended periods of itme. Because honestly, I love hte idea of the 15 hour 'netbook' But for what I do with my hardware, the Nexus is probably best since I put it through a lot. My Acer's gone through 4-5 ROM's, 3 boot loaders, 8 recoveries, etc...
I've owned both the TF700(still do) and TF201 with a dock, and I never cracked my screen while closing it. There are little guards to prevent this located on the keyboard so that it's not flush against the keys. Unfortunately, the TF700 doesn't quite last 15 hours, only about 8-10 because the 1080p screen uses a lot of juice. The Tf201 was much better because it was only 720p and it would last close to 20 hours.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
I've owned both the TF700(still do) and TF201 with a dock, and I never cracked my screen while closing it. There are little guards to prevent this located on the keyboard so that it's not flush against the keys. Unfortunately, the TF700 doesn't quite last 15 hours, only about 8-10 because the 1080p screen uses a lot of juice. The Tf201 was much better because it was only 720p and it would last close to 20 hours.
Strange. I wonder what people were doing, then. I was seeing reports (granted, mostly of the TF300) where it'd be sitting in the dock, they'd go to bed, and wake up with it cracked, stuff like that. I'll save up and in a year or two, upgrade my fiancee with Asus's newest if she lieks it
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

OK LOL well lets see what comes out at MWC. there is supposed to be a new nexus 10 to come out. its only a rumor so we shall see in a bit.
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,369
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,837 Times in 3,296 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Asus has a really nifty new tablet coming out soon, but it's kind of on the large side and might be rather expensive. The AIO will be a full fledged laptop/tablet combo with the ability to dual boot both android and windows 8.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (February 7th, 2013)
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
Asus has a really nifty new tablet coming out soon, but it's kind of on the large side and might be rather expensive. The AIO will be a full fledged laptop/tablet combo with the ability to dual boot both android and windows 8.
OHHHHHH THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!!! gonna have to keep my on that one.
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,369
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,837 Times in 3,296 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnbrze View Post
OHHHHHH THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!!! gonna have to keep my on that one.
The only problem is that the screen is going to be 18.4 inches. It is a transformer so there will be a keyboard dock option, or tablet only mode without using the keyboard. But other than that, it seems awesome.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (February 7th, 2013)
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnbrze View Post
OK LOL well lets see what comes out at MWC. there is supposed to be a new nexus 10 to come out. its only a rumor so we shall see in a bit.
Indeed. I'll wait and see.

Ideally, I'd love an Asus Taichi booting JB or KLP...
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dibblebill For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (February 7th, 2013)
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Suggestions on a new 10" tablet?

Not exactly portable when its twice the normal size. I cudnt imagine carrying it around in my hands
Keynith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ouch1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 535
 
Device(s): HTC One, LG G Pad 8.3, Rooted Motoactv
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 76
Thanked 88 Times in 80 Posts
Default

I might be a little late to this party, but I'd like to add my two cents.

I've owned the TF201, the TF700, and the Galaxy Note 10.1 (along with the Lenovo K1, Sony Tablet S, Galaxy 7 Plus, Galaxy Tab 2 7", and the Nexus 7). I buy/sell/trade them all through craigslist, use them for a few weeks, and then punt them. After trying all of them, I keep coming back to the TF201.

I don't understand why the Prime gets such a bad rap. Yes, the GPS is unusable. But otherwise, it's an awesome device. It's the thinnest of the bunch, the aluminum backing makes it feel super-strong, and the display beats everything out there besides the TF700. But the lower resolution screen translates into a faster tablet because the processor doesn't have to push all those extra pixels. So the TF201 is actually faster in some respects than the TF700. Asus provides as close to stock Android as you're going to find. And the docking station really does add a different dimension to either Asus tablet.

The Note 10.1 is a really nice looking device, the S-Pen is cool (although I didn't use it much), and the front facing speakers should be built into all future tablets. But, Samsung skins the hell out of the device and the plastic back make the tablets feel really cheap, especially when compared to the Transformers. The Note 10.1 can be rooted and I think the dev community is pretty strong, but the Asus dev community is probably stronger imo.

So, to sum it all up, I'm still partial to the Prime. I'm dying to get my hands on the Nexus 10 because I assume that's the best of everything right now, but $400 is too rich for my blood right now and I haven't been able to score a used one on CL yet. I'm also scared away because I really like having an option for expandable storage. But, it's only a matter of time before I find one. And probably by the time I get one, a newer/faster/better tablet will already be released.

Good luck on your search. I hope this helps.
ocnbrze and dibblebill like this.
ouch1976 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #31 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,369
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,837 Times in 3,296 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Suggestions on a new 10" tablet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouch1976 View Post
I might be a little late to this party, but I'd like to add my two cents.

I've owned the TF201, the TF700, and the Galaxy Note 10.1 (along with the Lenovo K1, Sony Tablet S, Galaxy 7 Plus, Galaxy Tab 2 7", and the Nexus 7). I buy/sell/trade them all through craigslist, use them for a few weeks, and then punt them. After trying all of them, I keep coming back to the TF201.

I don't understand why the Prime gets such a bad rap. Yes, the GPS is unusable. But otherwise, it's an awesome device. It's the thinnest of the bunch, the aluminum backing makes it feel super-strong, and the display beats everything out there besides the TF700. But the lower resolution screen translates into a faster tablet because the processor doesn't have to push all those extra pixels. So the TF201 is actually faster in some respects than the TF700. Asus provides as close to stock Android as you're going to find. And the docking station really does add a different dimension to either Asus tablet.

The Note 10.1 is a really nice looking device, the S-Pen is cool (although I didn't use it much), and the front facing speakers should be built into all future tablets. But, Samsung skins the hell out of the device and the plastic back make the tablets feel really cheap, especially when compared to the Transformers. The Note 10.1 can be rooted and I think the dev community is pretty strong, but the Asus dev community is probably stronger imo.

So, to sum it all up, I'm still partial to the Prime. I'm dying to get my hands on the Nexus 10 because I assume that's the best of everything right now, but $400 is too rich for my blood right now and I haven't been able to score a used one on CL yet. I'm also scared away because I really like having an option for expandable storage. But, it's only a matter of time before I find one. And probably by the time I get one, a newer/faster/better tablet will already be released.

Good luck on your search. I hope this helps.
Personally, I think I liked the 201 more than the 700 and kind of regret upgrading. The much greater battery life was worth more than the 1080p screen imo.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #32 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,552
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

my prime sucked!!!!! it was slow and lagged. i kept getting crashes and a lot of my apps were force closing on me all the time. unfortunately(or fortunately) the prime took a spill off of my table when my dumb dog got a little too excited. i had geek squad protection and they ended up replacing the tablet with an infinity.....i could never be happier.
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,369
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,837 Times in 3,296 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Suggestions on a new 10" tablet?

They're both very good from my experience, I'm just not very impressed with battery life on the infinity and the lag that came from the 1080p screen combined with the I/O bugs of earlier builds compared to the prime. Going from averaging 20 hours to about 8 hours is a dramatic drop.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ouch1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 535
 
Device(s): HTC One, LG G Pad 8.3, Rooted Motoactv
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 76
Thanked 88 Times in 80 Posts
Default

I must've lucked out with my Prime. I've never had any issues with it (knock on wood!).
ouch1976 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ouch1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 535
 
Device(s): HTC One, LG G Pad 8.3, Rooted Motoactv
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 76
Thanked 88 Times in 80 Posts
Default

And the Prime on JB doesn't lag at all...
ouch1976 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dibblebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,807
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, HTC One, Galaxy Victory, Ouya, HTC Dream, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 198
Thanked 304 Times in 246 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dibblebill Send a message via Yahoo to dibblebill
Default

So 3 months and much anguish later and I have a working Nexus 10. Its everything I could've hoped for, and more. Finally a tab with dozens of official ROM's instead of dozens of unofficial, half-functional ones
dibblebill is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.