Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 206
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D, Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 95
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default Walmart $40 family plan

My girlfriend bought the starter kit for $25. Now she needs a phone. I told her to get the N4 from Google play (thanks guys). The thing I noticed though, is this plan has unlimited talk, text and web but no mention of data although the employee that helped her said it was included. I don't think he knew what he was talking about. Can she download and use apps like weather navigation etc with this plan? Can she return the starter kit?

siggy1964 is offline  
Last edited by siggy1964; February 19th, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shelliewnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 846
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 :), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, Pantech Burst updated to ICS (retired)
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 214
Thanked 193 Times in 159 Posts
Default

No, that plan is meant for a dumb phone, I had that plan for a little over a year. You want the 75/mo plan for data
shelliewnj is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shelliewnj For This Useful Post:
siggy1964 (February 19th, 2013)
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ExtremeNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: STL
Gender: Male
Posts: 744
 
Device(s): SGS 3, HTC Glacier, Skypad A2, Viewsonic G Tab
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 51
Thanked 237 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggy1964 View Post
My girlfriend bought the starter kit for $25. Now she needs a phone. I told her to get the N4 from Google play (thanks guys). The thing I noticed though, is this plan has unlimited talk, text and web but no mention of data although the employee that helped her said it was included. I don't think he knew what he was talking about. Can she download and use apps like weather navigation etc with this plan? Can she return the starter kit?
Straight Talk.
Runs on T-Mobile or AT&T. $45 per month unlimited everything.
__________________
The Commandments of Android
1) Open RAM is wasted RAM - Don't use Task Killers
2) Cheap devices are cheap for a reason. Don't expect high end performance.
3) Boot Loop = Wipe.
4) There are no viruses for android.
ExtremeNerd is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ExtremeNerd For This Useful Post:
siggy1964 (February 20th, 2013)
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
thewalkingdead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Walmart $40 family plan

I've never heard of the Walmart family deal that you've mentioned but I do know a lot about straight talk plans that they sell because I've been using it for about 6 months now. Straight talk has many different plans but the best ones are their $45/mo plan with unlimited everything (talk, text, picture mail, data etc). They also have an unlimited everything international version for $60. Straight talk also has another plan that cost $30/mo but it isn't unlimited everything. The best part of straight talk is that they sell their own phones or you can bring your own. Their service is compatible with at&t and t mobile or any unlocked phone.
thewalkingdead is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thewalkingdead For This Useful Post:
siggy1964 (February 20th, 2013)
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hstroph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, rooted Android 4.4
Carrier: net10 MVNO w/ T-Mobile SIM

Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeNerd View Post
Straight Talk.
Runs on T-Mobile or AT&T. $45 per month unlimited everything.
My net10 $50/month "unlimited everything" on an AT&T SIM just informed me via text message this morning that as of March 01 2013, data will be limited to 1.5GB per 30 days.

I was already considering Straight Talk just for the $60/year savings over net10, and the 2-hour "hold" time I suffer whenever help is needed. Yesterday when I finally made net10 contact for help restoring data connection APN settings, the support person told me that net10.com, straighttalk.com and tracfone.com are all the same Tracfone-owned service.

I assume that now the "Unlimited" Straight Talk is also limited to 1.5GB/30-days.
hstroph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Resident Air Bender
 
DragonSlayer95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,382
 
Device(s): Moto G, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,940
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,800 Posts
DragonSlayer8724
Default Re: Walmart $40 family plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstroph View Post
My net10 $50/month "unlimited everything" on an AT&T SIM just informed me via text message this morning that as of March 01 2013, data will be limited to 1.5GB per 30 days.

I was already considering Straight Talk just for the $60/year savings over net10, and the 2-hour "hold" time I suffer whenever help is needed. Yesterday when I finally made net10 contact for help restoring data connection APN settings, the support person told me that net10.com, straighttalk.com and tracfone.com are all the same Tracfone-owned service.

I assume that now the "Unlimited" Straight Talk is also limited to 1.5GB/30-days.
Net 10 and straight talk are kinda like the same now if they limit you to 1.5 gigs per month now.

Way I'm thinking, after 1.5 gigs, you would start receiving edge speeds (1xrtt) rather than 3g.

Straight Talk, it's similar but they limit you to 100mb per day then you get kicked down to 1xrtt data speeds.

So if you think about it, neither is unlimited as claimed.
__________________
Has someone helped you? Dont forget to hit the "thanks" button!
Seen an offense or bad post? Hit the /!\ button!
DragonSlayer95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 206
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D, Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 95
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

She took it back today no questions asked
siggy1964 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hstroph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, rooted Android 4.4
Carrier: net10 MVNO w/ T-Mobile SIM

Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer95 View Post
Net 10 and straight talk are kinda like the same now if they limit you to 1.5 gigs per month now.

Way I'm thinking, after 1.5 gigs, you would start receiving edge speeds (1xrtt) rather than 3g.

Straight Talk, it's similar but they limit you to 100mb per day then you get kicked down to 1xrtt data speeds.

So if you think about it, neither is unlimited as claimed.
From late Nov. 2012 until now, I've been using ~2GB/1.5-week with no bandwidth throttling on the AT&T SIM net10 "Unlimited" 30-day plan.

It looks like I'm in a T-mobile coverage area for the majority of my travels, so I've requested the no-cost T-Mobile SIM from net10.

Since Straight Talk also offers T-Mobile SIM service, I may just drop net10 come end-of-service. Yes, they're both Tracfone services, but ST T-Mobile "Unlimited" at $45/30-days is better than net10 T-Mobile "Unlimited" at $50, all else being equal and not considering your "Way I'm thinking" qualification which has no real validity without further technical justification.

The free-market unlocked GSM philosophy of the Nexus 4 absolutely rules.
hstroph is offline  
Last edited by hstroph; February 20th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Resident Air Bender
 
DragonSlayer95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,382
 
Device(s): Moto G, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,940
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,800 Posts
DragonSlayer8724
Default Re: Walmart $40 family plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstroph View Post
From late Nov. 2012 until now, I've been using ~2GB/1.5-week with no bandwidth throttling on the AT&T SIM net10 "Unlimited" 30-day plan.

It looks like I'm in a T-mobile coverage area for the majority of my travels, so I've requested the no-cost T-Mobile SIM from net10.

Since Straight Talk also offers T-Mobile SIM service, I may just drop net10 come end-of-service.

The unlocked GSM philosophy of the Nexus 4 absolutely rules.
If you do that, keep in mind that straight talk does throttle the data speeds to a crawl after you use up 100mb each day.
DragonSlayer95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hstroph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, rooted Android 4.4
Carrier: net10 MVNO w/ T-Mobile SIM

Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer95 View Post
If you do that, keep in mind that straight talk does throttle the data speeds to a crawl after you use up 100mb each day.
I will do so, but where do{es} the Straight Talk "Terms & Conditions" state it for their T-Mobile SIM, or even AT&T for that matter? My weekly Titanium Backup uploaded to box.net uses ~1GB.
hstroph is offline  
Last edited by hstroph; February 20th, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
thewalkingdead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Walmart $40 family plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstroph View Post
I will do so, but where do{es} the Straight Talk "Terms & Conditions" state it for their T-Mobile SIM, or even AT&T for that matter? My weekly Titanium Backup uploaded to box.net uses ~1GB.
Hey did you know that box.com (name changed) is now offering a free 50gb account? They also have it set up so that you can share your folders with other users so if you were to make multiple accounts and link them together you'll in essence have a free for life 1TB account. I already did this and it works. Just Google box.com free 50gb and see for yourself. Let me know if you can't find the link because I have it bookmarked.
thewalkingdead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ExtremeNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: STL
Gender: Male
Posts: 744
 
Device(s): SGS 3, HTC Glacier, Skypad A2, Viewsonic G Tab
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 51
Thanked 237 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstroph View Post
I will do so, but where do{es} the Straight Talk "Terms & Conditions" state it for their T-Mobile SIM, or even AT&T for that matter? My weekly Titanium Backup uploaded to box.net uses ~1GB.
I've never seen this in their T&C before either, but I have been throttled. Luckily, I was using VOiP, so I then ported the number to a SIM to get rid of it. Huge inconvenience.

I thought their limit was 5gb per month. Now I have to go back and look to make sure I don't go over....
ExtremeNerd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Resident Air Bender
 
DragonSlayer95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,382
 
Device(s): Moto G, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,940
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,800 Posts
DragonSlayer8724
Default Re: Walmart $40 family plan

I never seen it in their ToS, but I've read many many users complain about being throttled for going over 100mb per day for several days in a row and especially being kicked off of ST for streaming a lot as well.
DragonSlayer95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hstroph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, rooted Android 4.4
Carrier: net10 MVNO w/ T-Mobile SIM

Thanks: 20
Thanked 77 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer95 View Post
I never seen it in their ToS, but I've read many many users complain about being throttled for going over 100mb per day for several days in a row and especially being kicked off of ST for streaming a lot as well.
So have I, but nobody ever seems to have claimed to have challenged the arbitrary bandwidth reduction. Any T&C/ToS (Terms & Conditions/Terms of Service) is legally a two-way contract, "without prior notice" notwithstanding. Such throttling (as it seems in the language) should be strictly temporary according to dynamic network capacity, not for the remaining term of the 30-day contract according to individual bandwidth measure with plainly-stated "Unlimited" service.

It sounds like the makings of a class-action lawsuit if we could find a competent lawyer perhaps using the same service and who isn't greedy ... good luck on that last requirement.

We need to keep these providers honest, and taking business to competitors month-to-month with an unlocked GSM phone holds great promise. The problem now seems to be that Net10, Tracfone and Straight Talk are one and the same package provider (all owned by Tracfone, a wholly-owned subsidiary of America Movil, S.A.B. de C.V., stock symbol AMX) utilizing AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs, which limits truly functional choices.

It's looking like the telephone monopoly(ies) of last century is/are still rearing an ugly head, albeit with a different party mask.
hstroph is offline  
Last edited by hstroph; February 21st, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.