Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LucasV

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MrsJennyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Female
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Moto G
Carrier: Page Plus

Thanks: 17
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Notsure Straight Talk vs Page Plus

Based on information from answers to my previous post as well as from the constant, mind-numbing research I'm doing, I think I'm going to move from my way-too-expensive Verizon plan to either Page Plus or Straight talk.

I am not worried about unlimited anything. I use 150-200 talk minutes, fewer than 300 texts, and an average of 512mb of data per month.

I want to make sure that I am using Verizon's towers, because I have excellent coverage here and the others are spotty.

So.

Despite all of the reading I've done (and maybe because of it) I am really confused about what phones I can use with these services (and which phones to make sure I'm on Verizon towers).

I am going to buy a new/used/refurbished/whatever phone. I want something better than gingerbread. I don't stream data. Most of what I do is take pictures of my kids, send MMS & texts, check FB & email, read forums, check out CNN, and play logic games (sudoku, picross, etc). I'm on wifi at least 80-90% of the time.

I want the biggest screen I can get because, as much as I hate to admit it, my eyes are getting middle-aged.

I'd like to spend $200 or less on the phone. I hope that's reasonable.

With that in mind, how do I figure out the right combination of phone/carrier? Seriously guys, my brain is fried.

Jenny

MrsJennyK is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MrsJennyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Female
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Moto G
Carrier: Page Plus

Thanks: 17
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Well.

I just saw a commercial on TV for the Walmart plan where they said, "$40! $40! $40! on the T-Mobile network!"

What? So I am wrong about them using Verizon's towers? This is too much for me. This is why I've been so paralyzed by indecision for 6 months that I keep paying $145 a month!!!
MrsJennyK is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
jrccomputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Elk River, MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE; Samsung Galaxy S3; Kyocera Event ;Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Virgin Mobile US; AT&T

Thanks: 66
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJennyK View Post
Based on information from answers to my previous post as well as from the constant, mind-numbing research I'm doing, I think I'm going to move from my way-too-expensive Verizon plan to either Page Plus or Straight talk.

I am not worried about unlimited anything. I use 150-200 talk minutes, fewer than 300 texts, and an average of 512mb of data per month.

I want to make sure that I am using Verizon's towers, because I have excellent coverage here and the others are spotty.

So.

Despite all of the reading I've done (and maybe because of it) I am really confused about what phones I can use with these services (and which phones to make sure I'm on Verizon towers).

I am going to buy a new/used/refurbished/whatever phone. I want something better than gingerbread. I don't stream data. Most of what I do is take pictures of my kids, send MMS & texts, check FB & email, read forums, check out CNN, and play logic games (sudoku, picross, etc). I'm on wifi at least 80-90% of the time.

I want the biggest screen I can get because, as much as I hate to admit it, my eyes are getting middle-aged.

I'd like to spend $200 or less on the phone. I hope that's reasonable.

With that in mind, how do I figure out the right combination of phone/carrier? Seriously guys, my brain is fried.

Jenny
Check out net10 and check there list of phones on verizon then go to straight talk and try to find the same phones.

Samsung Galaxy Proclaim, LG Optimus ZIP, Samsung Galaxy S Showcase, Unimax U670C, Huawei Ascend Y and LG L38C use Verizon.

This one should be on verizon and is one of the best straight talk phones: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-LG-L86C-Optimus-Showtime-Prepaid-Smartphone/23573707


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJennyK View Post
Well.

I just saw a commercial on TV for the Walmart plan where they said, "$40! $40! $40! on the T-Mobile network!"

What? So I am wrong about them using Verizon's towers? This is too much for me. This is why I've been so paralyzed by indecision for 6 months that I keep paying $145 a month!!!
No, Walmart Family mobile is not straight talk you are getting that confused. Straight talk uses: Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile, and sprint. Family Mobile uses T-Mobile. PagePlus Is 100% Verizon. Straight talk is hit or miss and you need to do your research to get a verizon phone on straight talk.


If I were you I would go pageplus and buy a nice iphone or other verizon brand phone off ebay and activate it on pageplus.
jrccomputer is offline  
Last edited by jrccomputer; May 21st, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrccomputer For This Useful Post:
MrsJennyK (May 21st, 2013)
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
MrsJennyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Female
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Moto G
Carrier: Page Plus

Thanks: 17
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrccomputer View Post
This one should be on verizon and is one of the best straight talk phones: Straight Talk LG L86C Optimus Showtime Prepaid Smartphone: Cell Phones : Walmart.com

That looks pretty nice and has ICS. It's not Jelly Bean, but it's better than Gingerbread!



Quote:
Originally Posted by jrccomputer View Post
No, Walmart Family mobile is not straight talk you are getting that confused. Straight talk uses: Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile, and sprint. Family Mobile uses T-Mobile. PagePlus Is 100% Verizon. Straight talk is hit or miss and you need to do your research to get a verizon phone on straight talk.

Doh! I am relieved that I was wrong... I think.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jrccomputer View Post
If I were you I would go pageplus and buy a nice iphone or other verizon brand phone off ebay and activate it on pageplus.
Sounds like a good idea. What do you think about Nexus? I see one on CL in my area that says it's a new Verizon Nexus that is rooted, but that he can flash back (or something like that)

Verizon Galaxy Nexus MINT With images
MrsJennyK is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
jrccomputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Elk River, MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE; Samsung Galaxy S3; Kyocera Event ;Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Virgin Mobile US; AT&T

Thanks: 66
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJennyK View Post

That looks pretty nice and has ICS. It's not Jelly Bean, but it's better than Gingerbread!





Doh! I am relieved that I was wrong... I think.





Sounds like a good idea. What do you think about Nexus? I see one on CL in my area that says it's a new Verizon Nexus that is rooted, but that he can flash back (or something like that)

Verizon Galaxy Nexus MINT With images
If the nexus is cdma. It will work with page plus. If its gsm or lte it wont. Ask the seller if the nexus is cdma.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2
jrccomputer is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrccomputer For This Useful Post:
MrsJennyK (May 22nd, 2013)
Old July 19th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Google Nexus 4 phone

This phone will only work on T-mobile or AT&T. I had the Google Nexus for all of one week before having to mail it back. Although I loved the phone, the T-mobile (and AT&T) coverage in my area is sparse at best. Really wish the Nexus used CDMA so I could have brought it to straight talk...
vvjustbiz is offline  
Last edited by vvjustbiz; July 19th, 2013 at 05:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 10
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 7
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

My info is old but might still be helpful. Metro PCS, if you have it near you, uses Verizon's network. They'd adapt a Verizon-issued phone for $50 bucks, so you could use your same phone if you like it. Of course, if they don't serve your area, then just blow raspberries at this post and move on. :-)
SweetLorraine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
jrccomputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Elk River, MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 144
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE; Samsung Galaxy S3; Kyocera Event ;Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Virgin Mobile US; AT&T

Thanks: 66
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLorraine View Post
My info is old but might still be helpful. Metro PCS, if you have it near you, uses Verizon's network. They'd adapt a Verizon-issued phone for $50 bucks, so you could use your same phone if you like it. Of course, if they don't serve your area, then just blow raspberries at this post and move on. :-)
Yeah, that's old metro PCs uses and is owned by T-Mobile now.
jrccomputer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,213
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 545 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Page Plus won't support data on a smartphone. That mvno was intended for the kind of folks who cling to a Motorola StarTAC or a CDMA Nokia 5100-series phone in this day and age--they're the only prepaid service which still supports new activations with such old devices.
__________________
Device(s):
Samsung Galaxy S3 (Stock, rooted TouchWiz)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (non-rooted, stock)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (obsolete, slow, rooted)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 19
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Centura
Carrier: Straight Talk

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
Page Plus won't support data on a smartphone.
That's not true.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
jrccomputer likes this.
LucasV is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LucasV For This Useful Post:
jrccomputer (July 22nd, 2013)
sponsored links
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Salt lake city
Gender: Male
Posts: 5
 
Device(s): Samsung Illusion
Carrier: Pageplus

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I have pageplus with a samsung illusion from verizon. Data works great. Cheap plans. 29.95 for 1200 min 3000 texts and 500 mb.
jlyon801 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia , USA
Gender: Female
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): LG G2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ask if is cdma Vertizon because Sprint also uses cdma
Jillxz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.