Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree36Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #1201 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 54
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

it's the same of motorola xt532 without flash light and front camera.

chamaruco is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1202 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 54
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

some photos of new samsung y duo https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.381256288559722.93600.100000260616800&type= 3
chamaruco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #1203 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): HTC incredible S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default lenovo a60 RAM and ROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha_indian View Post
Got my Lenovo A60 two days and been playing with it ever since. Must say it is pretty good. Accessories are pretty OK and comes with only 1 battery. I thought chinese phones always include one extra battery... nevertheless it works for almost two days. Most things are as advertized but RAM is only displayed as 200MB which might become a serious handicap when you install a few applications .

Has chinese app called MobileUncle that refuses to go away. Don't know what it is supposed to do. Sound quality is pretty decent. Wifi works fine, Camera is quite decent, All in all a better phone than the nameless phone that i had earlier. Still need to check the video call capabilities.. but i am quite pleased anyway!
I noticed the same thing just yesterday on my rooted lenovo a60. on most sites it says that the a60 has 256MB RAM , but mine only displays 152 used out of 202 RAM. Right now I'm wondering whether it came with 202 or whether my rooting had something to do with it..

AND the internal storage shows only 220 mb max..
whattosee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #1204 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 126
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattosee View Post
I noticed the same thing just yesterday on my rooted lenovo a60. on most sites it says that the a60 has 256MB RAM , but mine only displays 152 used out of 202 RAM. Right now I'm wondering whether it came with 202 or whether my rooting had something to do with it..

AND the internal storage shows only 220 mb max..
Perhaps the most asked and answered Android question

Some of the RAM and ROM are used by the system and radio and therefor not available to the user.

Also it is not technical possible to install 202 MB of RAM, as RAM comes in modules of 128, 256, 512, 1024 and so on. So if 202 MB is available the minimum installed size must be 256
EmilF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #1205 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Crake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 79
 
Device(s): Gigabyte GSmart G1345
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Why can't i see the 25th page ??
Crake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #1206 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum
 
lunatic59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,724
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1 (retired), Nook Color, Asus Transformer.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 7,582
Thanked 12,256 Times in 6,736 Posts
Default

This is the first post in the thread. If you can view it then you can see all the pages.
__________________
_
If the information is useful, Like the post, if the person was helpful, Thank the member.
RULES: Lest we forget | This part of signature intentionally left blank.
_________________________________________________

No Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers were harmed in the composition of this message.
lunatic59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #1207 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've had the same problem (viewing page 25) using Firefox. Have no problems with other browsers, I'm using IE to view it now. Think the same happened on page 15 of this thread. Once went to page 16 could again successfully view it in Firefox.
Cup24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1208 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Crake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 79
 
Device(s): Gigabyte GSmart G1345
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Yes, it is bizarre!
I only can see the page 25 on IE, no chance on firefox!!!
Crake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1209 (permalink)
Member
 
The Solutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crake View Post
Yes, it is bizarre!
I only can see the page 25 on IE, no chance on firefox!!!
It's just math

You will see only 25 pages @50 posts per page.

I'm seeing 61 pages because I'm using 20 posts per page.

Check your board's setting.
The Solutor is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Solutor For This Useful Post:
Cup24 (March 14th, 2012)
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #1210 (permalink)
Member
 
catty62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): ZTE U960
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 84 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jianing View Post
which dual sim phone should i get?
I have tried several, and now I have ZTE U960, nice and with very good performance ... but there are many other ...
catty62 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #1211 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Crake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 79
 
Device(s): Gigabyte GSmart G1345
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
It's just math

You will see only 25 pages @50 posts per page.

I'm seeing 61 pages because I'm using 20 posts per page.

Check your board's setting.
No, My friend.

Unfortunately i really can't see or change to the 25th page of this topic on firefox.
Believe that my board definitions are ok.
Crake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1212 (permalink)
Member
 
The Solutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crake View Post
No, My friend.

Unfortunately i really can't see or change to the 25th page of this topic on firefox.
Believe that my board definitions are ok.

I'm posting this message with firefox, tried also waterfox and I can see the last page w/o any problem.
The Solutor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1213 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Crake do as Solutor suggested and change to 20 posts per page on the forums (ie click on "user CP" top left, then "edit Options" under "Settings and Options" in left column, then change "Number of Posts per Page" to 20) and you'll be able to see all replies in Firefox; although you'll now have 61 pages in the thread. Have no idea why the default setting doesn't work for us though.
Cup24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #1214 (permalink)
Member
 
catty62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): ZTE U960
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 84 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup24 View Post
Crake do as Solutor suggested and change to 20 posts per page on the forums (ie click on "user CP" top left, then "edit Options" under "Settings and Options" in left column, then change "Number of Posts per Page" to 20) and you'll be able to see all replies in Firefox; although you'll now have 61 pages in the thread. Have no idea why the default setting doesn't work for us though.
I use firefox with the default setting and it is working fine for me ...
catty62 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #1215 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Davao Region, Philippines
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): EtoTalk AT&T G11i Pro
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty62 View Post
I use firefox with the default setting and it is working fine for me ...
I doubt that it's a problem with Firefox (which is what I'm using), but I wonder whether your ISP's proxy is failing in some strange way?
PeterBell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #1216 (permalink)
Member
 
The Solutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBell View Post
I doubt that it's a problem with Firefox (which is what I'm using), but I wonder whether your ISP's proxy is failing in some strange way?
More likely is a corrupted cokie,, usually logging out and then relogging in, is enough to solve this kind of problems, sometime the cokie must be deleted manually
The Solutor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #1217 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Crake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 79
 
Device(s): Gigabyte GSmart G1345
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Only worked for me changing the number of posts to 20, 30 or even 40.
Also tried to manually remove the cookie, but didn't work again!

Anyway thanks, because i can now see the last page.
Crake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1218 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 678
 
Device(s): TF700T, Nexus 7.2, Moto G, Xperia M, Xperia Acro S, Xperia Ray
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 102 Times in 90 Posts
Default

For the LG P698, how much internal storage is available for apps? Also, how's the battery life? Is it actually dual standby?
rui-no-onna is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #1219 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just posted in another thread about a new phone I've been playing with, the Maxwest Android-3600. Very cool 3.5 inch screen Android 2.2.1 phone with simultaneous dual sim cards. I see the phone also comes in crazy yellow Anyway, nice case, 2 Nokia-style 1800mah batteries etc etc. It looks like there is also a 3200 version with a smaller screen and 1 battery.
gsmpreacher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #1220 (permalink)
Member
 
The Solutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
Default

The yellow one is really cool.
The Solutor is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Solutor For This Useful Post:
gsmpreacher (March 19th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old March 19th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1221 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Crake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 79
 
Device(s): Gigabyte GSmart G1345
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

With that CPU i don't even want to look at him!!!
Crake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #1222 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 126
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmpreacher View Post
Just posted in another thread about a new phone I've been playing with, the Maxwest Android-3600. Very cool 3.5 inch screen Android 2.2.1 phone with simultaneous dual sim cards. I see the phone also comes in crazy yellow Anyway, nice case, 2 Nokia-style 1800mah batteries etc etc. It looks like there is also a 3200 version with a smaller screen and 1 battery.
Its Media Tek 6516 chip, that means:
- NOT dual sim active
- No 3G support
- Crap performance - outdated and slow CPU
EmilF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #1223 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilF View Post
Its Media Tek 6516 chip, that means:
- NOT dual sim active
- No 3G support
- Crap performance - outdated and slow CPU
And you'd be wrong... After testing, I have simultaneous active Dual SIM support and no trouble using 3G here in the USA.

As far as the processor, sure it's not a gigaherz dual-core monster, but not everyone needs a powerhouse or pay $500 for a phone. For normal everyday use and with the Android software I use, the processor works as advertised and for under $160 US delivered.

Not defending... just comparing.
gsmpreacher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #1224 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBell View Post
Absolutely sure! You don't know how things work here in Philippines - there's no way that the package would have been released if there was a charge to pay.

Now my wife wants me to order another G11i Pro for her!
so have you ordered one for your wife now? and how did it go then?
fazaragoza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:30 AM   #1225 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Davao Region, Philippines
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): EtoTalk AT&T G11i Pro
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazaragoza View Post
so have you ordered one for your wife now? and how did it go then?
No, I've resisted ordering one for my wife ... so far. I think that she really wants a dual sim version of the Samsung Galaxy SII. In the meanwhile I did buy her a Galaxy Tab 7.7 - the new one with the Super Amoled display. She's currently using that as a phone, together with her old Nokia N97mini.

Oh, and just to confirm - I have never received any demand for import duty, or any other taxes, on the G11i Pro. ... and the phone just keeps getting better and better with each new modified ROM released by Bruno.
PeterBell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 12:52 PM   #1226 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 678
 
Device(s): TF700T, Nexus 7.2, Moto G, Xperia M, Xperia Acro S, Xperia Ray
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 102 Times in 90 Posts
Default

For G11i Pro users, how is the battery life? Also, how much internal storage is user-accessible?

And are there any other places aside from etowalk/etotalk to buy it from? Shipping to the US from those sites is $100 per phone.
rui-no-onna is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 03:24 PM   #1227 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 126
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmpreacher View Post
And you'd be wrong... After testing, I have simultaneous active Dual SIM support and no trouble using 3G here in the USA.

As far as the processor, sure it's not a gigaherz dual-core monster, but not everyone needs a powerhouse or pay $500 for a phone. For normal everyday use and with the Android software I use, the processor works as advertised and for under $160 US delivered.

Not defending... just comparing.
It is not dual sim active but dual sim standby. It is not the same.

Don't know what you got working, but the chipset MT6516 does not support 3G, that is a fact (MT6516) - have you tested the download speed?

About the speed and user experience, I guess it depends on the user. I have had a 6516 phone - it works, but it is slow. Compared to the fact that you can get the Lenovo A60 with a better chipcet for 140$, I would not rate this phone as a good buy...

And this is not meanth as an attach, it is just important to get the fact right
EmilF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:09 PM   #1228 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBell View Post
No, I've resisted ordering one for my wife ... so far. I think that she really wants a dual sim version of the Samsung Galaxy SII. In the meanwhile I did buy her a Galaxy Tab 7.7 - the new one with the Super Amoled display. She's currently using that as a phone, together with her old Nokia N97mini.

Oh, and just to confirm - I have never received any demand for import duty, or any other taxes, on the G11i Pro. ... and the phone just keeps getting better and better with each new modified ROM released by Bruno.
yeah ive been keeping tabs on Bruno's but right now im using Lenovo A60 (with some of bruno's enhancements and might decide to wait for the latest MTK phone that I guess bruno will be switching to.

BTW, i suggest you buy your wife Samsung Galaxy Y Duo (touch screen) or Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duo (qwerty). they come in dual sims!!! and available locally now! at around 8 or 9k.

Just my few cents worth.

fazaragoza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1229 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Davao Region, Philippines
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): EtoTalk AT&T G11i Pro
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post
For G11i Pro users, how is the battery life?
That does depend on configuration and use. I keep a charger by my bedside, and recharge every night. However, when I have forgotten to charge, I have seen battery levels of 65% after 24 hours.

If my daughter plays Angry Birds, it can go flat in a few hours.

Quote:
Also, how much internal storage is user-accessible?
Available RAM is 446.6MB. ROM is 220.1MB (but this probably depends on what ROM Image is loaded - I have Bruno's v3.3 installed)

Quote:
And are there any other places aside from etowalk/etotalk to buy it from? Shipping to the US from those sites is $100 per phone.
I wouldn't know ... but I'm sure that there is more than one copy of the HTC Incredible S - how would you know that it is exactly the same as that offered by etotalk? For instance, this one seems to match description, but the internals look completely different: Wholesale MTK6573 G11 Pro G11i Android 2.3 OS 4.0 inch Capacitive screen Dual sim GSM+WCDMA 3G cell phone +8GB card
PeterBell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:20 AM   #1230 (permalink)
Member
 
The Solutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post
For G11i Pro users, how is the battery life?
In my experience with the MT6573 based phones the battery life is incredibly good when the phone is in standby (you can leave the phone a whole night with almost no battery drain), and incredibly bad when the phone is used (something like 30% or even more for every hour of browser usage)..

For comparison my ZTE U960 drains 20% overnight (like any decent single SIM smartphone), but on the real usage drains something like 10/15% for every hour of Internet browsing

BTW is not all due to the CPU/display consumption, the fake batteries have a part on those numbers.

Usually the cheap clones are coming with batteries that are relabeled 1000mAh batteries.

So, when is possible, a true battery from mugen or from the cloned phone, can make the phone usable.

BTW I don't know if there's any replacement battery for the G11 (the HD7 and the HD9 will work with the batteries meant for the original HTC HD2)
The Solutor is offline  
Last edited by The Solutor; March 22nd, 2012 at 04:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1231 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 678
 
Device(s): TF700T, Nexus 7.2, Moto G, Xperia M, Xperia Acro S, Xperia Ray
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 102 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBell View Post
That does depend on configuration and use. I keep a charger by my bedside, and recharge every night. However, when I have forgotten to charge, I have seen battery levels of 65% after 24 hours.

If my daughter plays Angry Birds, it can go flat in a few hours.

Available RAM is 446.6MB. ROM is 220.1MB (but this probably depends on what ROM Image is loaded - I have Bruno's v3.3 installed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
In my experience with the MT6573 based phones the battery life is incredibly good when the phone is in standby (you can leave the phone a whole night with almost no battery drain), and incredibly bad when the phone is used (something like 30% or even more for every hour of browser usage)..

For comparison my ZTE U960 drains 20% overnight (like any decent single SIM smartphone), but on the real usage drains something like 10/15% for every hour of Internet browsing
Thank you both for the info! Looks like battery life might even be better than the LG Optimus One. I'm mostly concerned with standby use. When I'm out and about, it'll probably only be used for texting anyway (seriously, none of my friends even bother to answer phone calls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBell View Post
I wouldn't know ... but I'm sure that there is more than one copy of the HTC Incredible S - how would you know that it is exactly the same as that offered by etotalk? For instance, this one seems to match description, but the internals look completely different: Wholesale MTK6573 G11 Pro G11i Android 2.3 OS 4.0 inch Capacitive screen Dual sim GSM+WCDMA 3G cell phone +8GB card
That's a good point. Maybe I can just have the phone delivered to my grandmother in the Philippines to save on shipping. We'll be going to her place directly from the airport anyway. How long did shipping to the Philippines take?

I'm also wondering if I should wait for the MT6575 phones to be released. I don't need the phone right away. I'm quite happy with my Nexus S. I'll only need a dual-SIM when the family goes on vacation to the Philippines during Christmas time. Last time I went home, I was carrying 2 phones with me, one for Globe and one for Smart and I also bought a couple of Globe Tattoo 3G USB adaptors for my brother and mine's laptops. I think having just one dual-SIM Android device with hotspot capability would be a lot more convenient on my next visit.

Another nice thing with going Android, I could opt to use either the Globe or Smart SIM for mobile data depending on which network gives me better speeds/more reliable connection. That reminds me, for the hotspot feature, can you use either SIM card or does it have to be SIM 1?
rui-no-onna is offline  
Last edited by rui-no-onna; March 22nd, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1232 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Davao Region, Philippines
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): EtoTalk AT&T G11i Pro
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post
That's a good point. Maybe I can just have the phone delivered to my grandmother in the Philippines to save on shipping. We'll be going to her place directly from the airport anyway. How long did shipping to the Philippines take?
I had it sent by EMS. Quoted delivery time was 10 days, which meant it should have arrived on December 24, but it actually arrived just after Christmas. It seemed to spend one week in China, going nowhere!

Quote:
I'm also wondering if I should wait for the MT6575 phones to be released. I don't need the phone right away. I'm quite happy with my Nexus S. I'll only need a dual-SIM when the family goes on vacation to the Philippines during Christmas time.
If you really don't need it till Christmas, I suggest that you wait before ordering. The new models are due out any day now ... wait and see what Bruno supports. There may even be a further generation by then!

Where in Phils? Luzon? I'm in Davao del Norte, Mindanao.

Quote:
Last time I went home, I was carrying 2 phones with me, one for Globe and one for Smart and I also bought a couple of Globe Tattoo 3G USB adaptors for my brother and mine's laptops. I think having just one dual-SIM Android device with hotspot capability would be a lot more convenient on my next visit.

Another nice thing with going Android, I could opt to use either the Globe or Smart SIM for mobile data depending on which network gives me better speeds/more reliable connection. That reminds me, for the hotspot feature, can you use either SIM card or does it have to be SIM 1?
I haven't actually tried the hotspot - I'll try to find time to test this.
PeterBell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:43 PM   #1233 (permalink)
Member
 
The Solutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBell View Post
I haven't actually tried the hotspot - I'll try to find time to test this.
The hotspot works as expected, btw the problem of MT6573 phones (SIM 2 unreachable while data are transferred ) make useless either the dual SIM or the hotspot functionality.

That problem is already a dealbreaker on an android phone itself, that transfers data more often than not, but in a tethered configuration the sim 2 will be practically never reachable.

I really hope this will be fixed on the upcoming MT6575 chipset.

@rui-no-onna

If you need the hotspot functionality is better to look at the Qualcomm based phones: the U960 is obviously unaffected because is a full dual radio phone, but (AFAIK) even the cheap clones based on the MSM7227 aren't affected
The Solutor is offline  
Last edited by The Solutor; March 22nd, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:11 AM   #1234 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
The hotspot works as expected, btw the problem of MT6573 phones (SIM 2 unreachable while data are transferred ) make useless either the dual SIM or the hotspot functionality.

That problem is already a dealbreaker on an android phone itself, that transfers data more often than not, but in a tethered configuration the sim 2 will be practically never reachable.

I really hope this will be fixed on the upcoming MT6575 chipset.

@rui-no-onna

If you need the hotspot functionality is better to look at the Qualcomm based phones: the U960 is obviously unaffected because is a full dual radio phone, but (AFAIK) even the cheap clones based on the MSM7227 aren't affected
AFAIK the latest rom of bruno has fixed that issue. even if SIM1 is in use, sim 2 can already be contacted. before, the data gets disconnected so that you can answer calls on SIM2. Same if calling SIM1. though i have not yet bought the HTC clone supported by Bruno.

I will be waiting for the latest 6575 handsets but i doubt if the price will be same as the 6573s
fazaragoza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:34 AM   #1235 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 678
 
Device(s): TF700T, Nexus 7.2, Moto G, Xperia M, Xperia Acro S, Xperia Ray
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 102 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBell View Post
I had it sent by EMS. Quoted delivery time was 10 days, which meant it should have arrived on December 24, but it actually arrived just after Christmas. It seemed to spend one week in China, going nowhere!

Where in Phils? Luzon? I'm in Davao del Norte, Mindanao.
Looks like I best order it a month in advance then. Yep, in Luzon. Quezon City. Interesting though, just checked etotalk website and shipping prices to the US have dropped. Perhaps they just had a weird bug before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBell View Post
If you really don't need it till Christmas, I suggest that you wait before ordering. The new models are due out any day now ... wait and see what Bruno supports. There may even be a further generation by then!
Yeah. That's what I was thinking. Besides, with the savings on shipping, even if the MT6575's do cost a bit more than the MT6573's, total would likely be just a little bit more than if I had the G11i Pro shipped to the US. At the very least, I think waiting will lower prices on current models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBell View Post
I haven't actually tried the hotspot - I'll try to find time to test this.
Thank you.

@The Solutor
That ZTE U960 certainly looks nice. A bit pricey, though. Since this is just a back-up phone, I'm limiting myself to $350 total (including shipping) so the U960 is out unless the price drops.
rui-no-onna is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1236 (permalink)
Member
 
The Solutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post

@The Solutor
That ZTE U960 certainly looks nice. A bit pricey, though. Since this is just a back-up phone, I'm limiting myself to $350 total (including shipping) so the U960 is out unless the price drops.
I don't want to advertise that phone, just pointing out that is a phone in it's own class, speaking about the dual sim world. It's surely too much for a second phone.

Btw If it's a backup why not consider a good featurephone instead of a cheap smartphone to stay in the budget ?
The Solutor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:11 AM   #1237 (permalink)
Member
 
The Solutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazaragoza View Post
AFAIK the latest rom of bruno has fixed that issue. even if SIM1 is in use, sim 2 can already be contacted. before, the data gets disconnected so that you can answer calls on SIM2. Same if calling SIM1. though i have not yet bought the HTC clone supported by Bruno.
Good to know, if it's true.

BTW i guess that bruno has nothing to do with this.

Likely mediatek has released an improved baseband, otherwise could be hard to believe that bruno itself fixed something that Philips, Lenovo, Alcatel and so on were unable to fix.

Possible, but basebands requires very high skills on a tiny bit of tech.
The Solutor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:27 PM   #1238 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 678
 
Device(s): TF700T, Nexus 7.2, Moto G, Xperia M, Xperia Acro S, Xperia Ray
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 102 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
I don't want to advertise that phone, just pointing out that is a phone in it's own class, speaking about the dual sim world. It's surely too much for a second phone.
Lol, it won't even be second. Right now, my primary is an iPhone 4 and back-up phones (that are in active use) are Samsung Nexus S, Samsung Galaxy S 4G, Sony Xperia Ray, LG Thrive and LG Quantum so that would make whatever I buy... seventh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
Btw If it's a backup why not consider a good featurephone instead of a cheap smartphone to stay in the budget ?
I would want access to certain Google services such as contact syncing and Google Voice (using GrooVe IP for voice calls and the official app for voicemail and SMS) as well as access to certain apps (e.g. Mantano Reader, Dropbox, Kindle). I also want wi-fi hotspot support so I don't have to get separate SIM cards and 3G USB adapters for our laptops.

Android is already familiar to me. With feature phones, I'd have to research which ones would have the features I want. Even then, I'd still probably lose access to favorite apps and the interface could be something I absolutely hate. Even my mom finds Android's interface easier to use compared to her short-lived Nokia C3 and that's saying a lot since she dislikes Android.

Dual SIM Android phones might be pricier compared to feature phones but I find the disparity acceptable for the convenience it offers. Now if the minimum for a dual SIM Android is $400, then I'd be looking at other options (including carrying two phones with me all the time).
rui-no-onna is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #1239 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: J15 M6, UK
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Galaxy S, HDC A9100
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkJC View Post
Thanks for your help Solutor, got the ZTE U960 running perfectly now. All in all its a pretty damn good phone - certainly the only choice if you want to use 2 european 3G GSM cards, nothing else available comes close.

All works as expected, the only positives and negatives that stand out for me are:

- would have liked a better quality screen. Its okay, but obviously not up to iPhone resolutions.
+ Battery much better than expected, really can do nearly 2 days with everything left on.
- Feels a bit plastic & cheap, wish it didn't have the logo's then it would look a lot better.
+ Dual sim management is very good, although it took me a while to realise that 3G only works in SIM2 when you are using 2 GSM sims.
- Have had one or 2 crashes playing games
+ Finally a dual sim phone with enough storage not to have to move all apps to SD!
- slow start up. Also sometimes lags a bit, although only temporarily.

Its the first dual sim phone that I'm actually going to keep using rather than throwing in the back of a drawer in frustration, so finally i'm only carrying one phone instead of my Desire Z & 4s :-)

Anyone one want to buy an HDC A9100 or an H7000? They're not much use as phones, but they make nice paper weights.
Hi

Got a HDC A9100 - really like it.

What benefits of U960 stand out over a9100

How much did you pay for U960?

Any other phones considered better than A9100?

Thanks
ABARKIE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #1240 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 32
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilF View Post
Its Media Tek 6516 chip, that means:
- NOT dual sim active
- No 3G support
- Crap performance - outdated and slow CPU
I agree 100%
cha_indian is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #1241 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 32
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Does anybody know how to root Lenovo A60 so that i can remove unwanted chinese applications ? Also the GPS is not working.....how to fix these issues?

thanks,
cha_indian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #1242 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
NeWbIe_vlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Samsung Grand
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Lenovo A750

I'm following this phone and the ZTE U960, the last is more expensive and the first is my prefferred.

I have a question from buy on etotalk, what the meaning of select the phone with de keyboard language or rooted or with market.

If I no select any option I couldn't root, put market or install a spanish keyboard?

What did you recommend?

Thank you
NeWbIe_vlc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1243 (permalink)
Member
 
The Solutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABARKIE View Post
Hi

Got a HDC A9100 - really like it.

What benefits of U960 stand out over a9100
Maybe true phone with true batteries v.s. fake phone with fake batteries ?


Quote:
Any other phones considered better than A9100?
Anything from the upcoming generation, like the zopo zp100, lenovo a750 and all the announced or already released phones with the new MTK cpu (mt 6575)
The Solutor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #1244 (permalink)
Member
 
The Solutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeWbIe_vlc View Post
I'm following this phone and the ZTE U960, the last is more expensive and the first is my prefferred.

I have a question from buy on etotalk, what the meaning of select the phone with de keyboard language or rooted or with market.

If I no select any option I couldn't root, put market or install a spanish keyboard?

What did you recommend?

Thank you
It depends on your skill with android and computers in general.

Rooting the phone is easy enough but, on the other hand the price asked to root the phone, install android market and so on, is not so pricey
The Solutor is offline  
Last edited by The Solutor; March 25th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #1245 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Davao Region, Philippines
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): EtoTalk AT&T G11i Pro
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazaragoza View Post
yeah ive been keeping tabs on Bruno's but right now im using Lenovo A60 (with some of bruno's enhancements and might decide to wait for the latest MTK phone that I guess bruno will be switching to.
Indeed, he's already made that intention known to me ... I'm waiting to see which model he chooses.

Quote:
BTW, i suggest you buy your wife Samsung Galaxy Y Duo (touch screen) or Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duo (qwerty). they come in dual sims!!! and available locally now! at around 8 or 9k.
Yes, we'd already had our eye on the Galaxy y Duos, and have already seen it in Davao (not yet in Tagum) - the only drawback is the small (and low resolution) screen.
PeterBell is offline  
Last edited by PeterBell; March 25th, 2012 at 04:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #1246 (permalink)
Member
 
The Solutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 124 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Starting from today the U960 has its own room thanks to the staff for the (unexpected) decision.

So that's the place for any question related specifically to that phone.
The Solutor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #1247 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha_indian View Post
Does anybody know how to root Lenovo A60 so that i can remove unwanted chinese applications ? Also the GPS is not working.....how to fix these issues?

thanks,
go to symbianize.com you have Lenovo A60 support there and there is a set of instructions on how to root your phone.
fazaragoza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #1248 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
Good to know, if it's true.

BTW i guess that bruno has nothing to do with this.

Likely mediatek has released an improved baseband, otherwise could be hard to believe that bruno itself fixed something that Philips, Lenovo, Alcatel and so on were unable to fix.

Possible, but basebands requires very high skills on a tiny bit of tech.
I guess youre right but not sure if that can be applicable to other phones like my Lenovo A60. Dont know where in the OS side it is located so that if it can be ported, then it can be applied to other OS as well.

Any idea?
fazaragoza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #1249 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): Wildfire, iphone4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi all, just a quick post and review on the Alcatel 918D I have owned now for a month.

Got it from Ebay Germany for 120 Euros + shipping, and I have to say I'm impressed by this cheapo little dual sim device.

Fairly good quality feel
Good battery time.
Great screen (well for the size, beats my old HTC wildfire by far)
Decent speed (again, beats the wildfire)
Good size and fairly lightweight...

So to the minus.

The provided headset is pretty crap.
Rumors about some apps not working (allthough haven't found one)
Bloatware that comes preinstalled.

Hope it helps some of you .

Best regards
The Swede
smygarn76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #1250 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi everyone
For those who still look for a chinese Dual SIM mobiles seller, you can buy them also at:
Buy Chinese Mobile Phones, Android Tablet & Apple Ipad, Car DVD Player
They seems to be Canadian (read about us) and they offer free shipping for the same etotalk stars like ZTE U960, Lenovo A60, P70, A750 or Hisense HS-U8 or even the new Zopo ZP100.
I've never bought anything from them so I cannot say a word in favor or against. I am just leaving this info. Maybe someone can leave its experience with them. By the way, I don't work for them neither.
Regards
DaniSP
DaniSP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Lounge > Device/Carrier Comparisons
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://androidforums.com/device-carrier-comparisons/73649-best-dual-sim-android-phone.html
Posted By For Type Date
DX900 competitors - ACER Users / ETEN Users Forum - Page 40 This thread Refback April 3rd, 2012 02:16 PM
User Manual Free Download — Gadget Owner's manual This thread Refback January 2nd, 2012 11:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.