Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid > Droid - All Things Root
Droid - All Things Root Rooting, ROMS, Overclocking, etc.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default Rooting the Droid without rsd lite up to and including FRG83D

This works for rooting all the stock builds released for droid so far....up to FRG83D

I started a new thread about this because its a very different method than the one use in this thread and I didnt want the methods to be confused. This method is safer imo as it does not require flashing sbf files.

This method was originally used to root the Droid2

First off All credit goes to Sebastian Krahmer at C skills. Please see fit to donate via Paypal to 7-4-3-C@web.de

Credit for the tutorial goes to karnovaran at xda. You can find his original thread here. I have changed the directions a little to make them slightly easier and suited for the Droid1.

Whats needed
ADB for instructions on setting up adb see this video by unlockr
Current Motorola Drivers
Rageagainstthecage

1.) Enable usb debugging if you dont already have it enabled




2.) Extract rageagainstthecage.zip to c:\droidroot
3.) Connect your phone to the computer via usb cable
4.) on the computer open the command prompt. (In the start menu under accessories)
5.) cd to your adb tools directory. For most the command would look like this cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
6.) adb devices (This should list a device as a long number under list of devices. If it doesnt something is wrong.)
7.) adb push c:\droidroot\rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp
8.) adb shell
9.) cd /data/local/tmp
10.) chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
11.) ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin (This can take a minutes just let it go until you are returned to your adb tools folder)
12.) adb devices
13.) adb shell (you should now see a # instead of a $)
14.) mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
15.) exit
16.) adb push c:\droidroot\Superuser.apk /system/app
17.) adb push c:\droidroot\su /system/bin
18.) adb push c:\droidroot\busybox /system/bin
19.) adb shell
20.) chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
21.) chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
22.) mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.disabled Note if you are on a build earlier than froyo this step will fail. That is fine and expected.
23.) mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
24.) rm /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
25.) exit

I would suggest rebooting your phone but its not required.

__________________
I take no responsibility for what you do to your phone. I only offer advice.
OMJ is offline  
Last edited by OMJ; December 14th, 2010 at 07:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to OMJ For This Useful Post:
45droid (March 14th, 2011), androidlover14 (September 8th, 2010), boster (March 17th, 2011), capndroid (January 8th, 2011), cbernardo13 (July 14th, 2012), cc9703 (September 15th, 2010), chevboy_0 (September 30th, 2010), connor11493 (February 21st, 2011), cranky_dan (September 11th, 2010), darkcyber (August 20th, 2011), ecuSAVAGEpirate (September 17th, 2010), Esabasard (March 23rd, 2011), FatherPhoenix (March 5th, 2011), Frank Grimes (September 20th, 2010), furyfrog (May 13th, 2011), gallandof (September 8th, 2010), JM33 (January 31st, 2011), johnlgalt (January 2nd, 2011), Kn1nJa (January 25th, 2011), Lock-N-Load (September 16th, 2010), mrterry (March 15th, 2011), myko14 (October 18th, 2010), Poloki (September 29th, 2010), RandyF (February 18th, 2012), RDKamikaze (September 10th, 2010), rparra14 (March 17th, 2011), skeezicks (September 8th, 2010), Smallcurd (September 10th, 2010), sonikdx (September 26th, 2010), sooper_droid12 (April 3rd, 2011), sridvijay (September 19th, 2010), sternman318 (February 11th, 2011), Stigy (November 1st, 2011), teddyearp (August 20th, 2011), Terrorskull (September 20th, 2010), The FlyerFly (January 1st, 2011), thepimphand21 (September 22nd, 2010), Tugdaturtle (September 13th, 2010), XJweber (September 30th, 2010), YankeeDudeL (September 27th, 2010)
sponsored links
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

So if all I want to start is my current froyo update I just got a couple days ago, rooted, this will do the trick? I dont need a custom rom?
omegasport20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegasport20 View Post
So if all I want to start is my current froyo update I just got a couple days ago, rooted, this will do the trick? I dont need a custom rom?
thats correct
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gallandof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: south of boston
Posts: 1,927
 
Device(s): Droid x CM7, droid 1 CM7, Dinc 2, Droid Razr rooted debloated, Galaxy Nexus rooted&unlocked, xoom, d
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 161
Thanked 335 Times in 214 Posts
michael.cristoferi@gmail
Default

is this in windows or linux? im wanting to root my co workers hpone but cant DL RSD lite
gallandof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandof View Post
is this in windows or linux? im wanting to root my co workers hpone but cant DL RSD lite
its windows
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gallandof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: south of boston
Posts: 1,927
 
Device(s): Droid x CM7, droid 1 CM7, Dinc 2, Droid Razr rooted debloated, Galaxy Nexus rooted&unlocked, xoom, d
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 161
Thanked 335 Times in 214 Posts
michael.cristoferi@gmail
Default

thanks worked like a charm! can I go installing custom roms for them now? or is this simply root access.
gallandof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandof View Post
thanks worked like a charm! can I go installing custom roms for them now? or is this simply root access.
you can flash custom roms although there is 1 annoyance right now, if you put a custom recovery on reboot before flashing a rom the stock recovery will come back. I meant to add the fix for it into the guide but forgot. Give me like 5 minutes to make sure this works and then I will tell you how to do it. Its real simple
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 108
 
Device(s): Galaxy S III
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Great work OMJ

I can't find you're original thread, but maybe you should also put the steps to disable the "flash stock recovery" scripts? Not sure if possible in the adb shell, but I think the easiest would be something like mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.disabled

edit: never mind just saw your post
patch is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to patch For This Useful Post:
OMJ (September 8th, 2010)
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gallandof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: south of boston
Posts: 1,927
 
Device(s): Droid x CM7, droid 1 CM7, Dinc 2, Droid Razr rooted debloated, Galaxy Nexus rooted&unlocked, xoom, d
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 161
Thanked 335 Times in 214 Posts
michael.cristoferi@gmail
Default

thank you very much, the person will probably never get into the custom recovery but they want the revolution theme i have so I am rooting it for them to make our day at work go by faster
gallandof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch View Post
Great work OMJ

I can't find you're original thread, but maybe you should also put the steps to disable the "flash stock recovery" scripts? Not sure if possible in the adb shell, but I think the easiest would be something like mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.disabled

edit: never mind just saw your post
thats the exact command I am using. Just had to try it on my own phone first
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

ok for anyone who used this guide before 225pm eastern time on sept 8 2010 do the following


Hook you phone back up to usb.
open command prompt and cd to you adb tools folder
Then type the following commands
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.disabled
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
exit


that just makes it so you can flash custom recoveries anyone doing this guide after the specified time its already part of the guide.
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMJ For This Useful Post:
gallandof (September 8th, 2010), stephejo (September 8th, 2010)
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 59
 
Device(s): Moto Droid 2 Global Stock
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
ok for anyone who used this guide before 225pm eastern time on sept 8 2010 do the following


Hook you phone back up to usb.
open command prompt and cd to you adb tools folder
Then type the following commands
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.disabled
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
exit


that just makes it so you can flash custom recoveries anyone doing this guide after the specified time its already part of the guide.

Is there a way in SDB terminal to verify that the following took effect? When I ran the original commands, I got an error on the recovery-from-boot.p.disabled line that said file or directory not found??

Thanks
stephejo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephejo View Post
Is there a way in SDB terminal to verify that the following took effect? When I ran the original commands, I got an error on the recovery-from-boot.p.disabled line that said file or directory not found??

Thanks
flash a custom recovery then boot into recovery. Then reboot into the os and then reboot into recovery a second time. If its still the custom recovery the second time then it worked. If its back to stock recovery the second time then something is wrong.
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMJ For This Useful Post:
stephejo (September 10th, 2010)
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Procedures seem to work fine. For those of us using windows XP, the file in step 5 is located at c:\AndroidSDK\tools I had previously rooted using Easyroot and ROM Manager, but kept the stock FRG01D. When I upgraded to FRG22D thru a thread on this forum, I unfortunately did not know enough to investigate the possibility of losing root........ which I did after this upgrade. Having re-rooted using the thread above, will my rom and rooting applications be usable?
evrdayhero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Having problems

Ok, I followed the instructions to the word and I seem to fail when I get to the PUSH command. The file is not transferring to my phone. Some help here please. What am I missing?
CidGrad90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidGrad90 View Post
Ok, I followed the instructions to the word and I seem to fail when I get to the PUSH command. The file is not transferring to my phone. Some help here please. What am I missing?
what error are you getting when you try to push?
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidGrad90 View Post
Ok, I followed the instructions to the word and I seem to fail when I get to the PUSH command. The file is not transferring to my phone. Some help here please. What am I missing?
Watch the spaces before the forward slashes in the commands........ they are hard to spot. I had the same problem initially.
evrdayhero is offline  
Last edited by evrdayhero; September 8th, 2010 at 07:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
what error are you getting when you try to push?
No error really, but the message XXX KB/s (0 bytes in 5392.000s)
CidGrad90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrdayhero View Post
Watch the spaces before the forward slashes in the commands........ they are hard to spot. I had the same problem initially.
I don't have an issue with spaces, I am somewhat of an advanced DOS user from the days before Windows. I know about entering commands via the cmd window.

When I PUSH rageagainstthecage, it doesn't copy. When I do superuser and su I get an error message stating failed to copy: read-only file system
CidGrad90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidGrad90 View Post
I don't have an issue with spaces, I am somewhat of an advanced DOS user from the days before Windows. I know about entering commands via the cmd window.

When I PUSH rageagainstthecage, it doesn't copy. When I do superuser and su I get an error message stating failed to copy: read-only file system
without rageagainstthecage you wont be able to push the other files. Are you sure rageagainstthecage isnt pushing? what happens when you try steps 10 and 11?
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
without rageagainstthecage you wont be able to push the other files. Are you sure rageagainstthecage isnt pushing? what happens when you try steps 10 and 11?
I am not sure what is going on, but after through the steps multiple times, it finally started to work. Originally when I got to steps 10 and 11, I got an error, when I went through it again (to relate the error message here), everything worked.

Looks like I now have a rooted phone. Thanks.
CidGrad90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidGrad90 View Post
I am not sure what is going on, but after through the steps multiple times, it finally started to work. Originally when I got to steps 10 and 11, I got an error, when I went through it again (to relate the error message here), everything worked.

Looks like I now have a rooted phone. Thanks.
no problem glad you got it figured out
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I to am getting the error with step 16 it says failed to copy.....read-only file system
omegasport20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
skeezicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 35
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Wow! Unhappily, I lost root when Verizon pushed FRG22D to my phone. Your rooting method is straightforward and easy as pie. Mega thanks! It's a relief to be rooted again. No, I'm not constantly swapping ROMs and themes and stuff, but I really appreciate the extra security of running Backup Pro with superuser permissions and having full access to Titanium Backup. Bravo!

I'm curious, though: why do you think this method is safer than using SPrecovery, spf lite, and flashing sbf files? I've never followed that route, and perhaps the straightforwardness of the method you detail in this thread answers my question. But I was wondering what you meant by that?
skeezicks is offline  
Last edited by skeezicks; September 8th, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Ok I think it works now. I was putting a space where there sahouldnt have been lol. I have an app that's called superuser now so I'm guessing its rooted. Sorry I'm a noob at this.
omegasport20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezicks View Post
Wow! Unhappily, I lost root when Verizon pushed FRG22D to my phone. Your rooting method is straightforward and easy as pie. Mega thanks! It's a relief to be rooted again. No, I'm not constantly swapping ROMs and themes and stuff, but I really appreciate the extra security of running Backup Pro with superuser permissions and having full access to Titanium Backup. Bravo!

I'm curious, though: why do you think this method is safer than using SPrecovery, spf lite, and flashing sbf files? I've never followed that route, and perhaps the straightforwardness of the method you detail in this thread answers my question. But I was wondering what you meant by that?
flashing sbf files can cause more problems. Lots of people get stuck in bootloops after flashing sbfs and some can be hard to get out of. This method doesnt have that risk. If you follow the directions there is really no way to get stuck in a bootloop or have any other major problem.
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Great guide. I'm all rooted now, only problem is I can't boot into recovery mode - It' gets stuck at the icon with the exclamation point. Normal boot works fine. I have superuser priveleges (checked by typing su into terminal).

the ./rage command didnt' work the first time, but worked fine the second time. I also accidentally pushed the rage.bin to /data/local/tmp\ , so now theres a tmp\ directory (in addition to the normal tmp directory). Found a forum with a few other people having similar problems, but no solution that worked.

I started with verizon froyo.

Was hoping to load a custom rom - Any ideas?
bilfdoffle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
RDKamikaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Unknown
Posts: 250
 
Device(s): Bionic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 57 Times in 30 Posts
Question

Technically after installing the ADB and such, couldn't you just make a batch file to do the work for you?

Example (has pauses and confirmations in noted places from original tut):

Code:
@echo off
echo If any part of this batch file fails or goes against comments listed, log where you are and exit the batch file immediately.
pause
cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
adb devices
echo This should list a device as a long number under list of devices. If it doesnt something is wrong.
pause
adb push c:\droidroot\rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
echo This next step can take a minute, just let it go until you are returned to your adb tools folder.
pause
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
pause
adb devices
adb shell
echo You should now see a # instead of a $
pause
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
exit
adb push c:\droidroot\Superuser.apk /system/app
adb push c:\droidroot\su /system/bin
adb push c:\droidroot\busybox /system/bin
adb shell
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
echo Note if you are on a build earlier than froyo this next step will fail. That is fine and expected.
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.disabled
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
rm /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
echo I would suggest rebooting your phone but its not required.
pause
exit

EDIT: If you guys like this idea then I can make a command-based yes/no style batch file (prettier version) or even a VBscript that does all the work and just asks simple prompts (such as continue? Y/N, directory for ADB, etc.). What do you all think? Yeah? Rooting made a shade easier?


EDIT#2: Why is step #15 exit? Won't that just close cmd?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
RDKamikaze is offline  
Last edited by RDKamikaze; September 10th, 2010 at 02:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RDKamikaze For This Useful Post:
OMJ (September 10th, 2010)
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilfdoffle View Post
Great guide. I'm all rooted now, only problem is I can't boot into recovery mode - It' gets stuck at the icon with the exclamation point. Normal boot works fine. I have superuser priveleges (checked by typing su into terminal).

the ./rage command didnt' work the first time, but worked fine the second time. I also accidentally pushed the rage.bin to /data/local/tmp\ , so now theres a tmp\ directory (in addition to the normal tmp directory). Found a forum with a few other people having similar problems, but no solution that worked.

I started with verizon froyo.

Was hoping to load a custom rom - Any ideas?

you need to flash a custom recovery. Rom Manager will do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKamikaze View Post
Technically after installing the ADB and such, couldn't you just make a batch file to do the work for you?

Example (has pauses and confirmations in noted places from original tut):

Code:
@echo off
echo If any part of this batch file fails or goes against comments listed, log where you are and exit the batch file immediately.
pause
cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
adb devices
echo This should list a device as a long number under list of devices. If it doesnt something is wrong.
pause
adb push c:\droidroot\rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
echo This next step can take a minute, just let it go until you are returned to your adb tools folder.
pause
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
pause
adb devices
adb shell
echo You should now see a # instead of a $
pause
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
exit
adb push c:\droidroot\Superuser.apk /system/app
adb push c:\droidroot\su /system/bin
adb push c:\droidroot\busybox /system/bin
adb shell
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
echo Note if you are on a build earlier than froyo this next step will fail. That is fine and expected.
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.disabled
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
rm /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
echo I would suggest rebooting your phone but its not required.
pause
exit

EDIT: If you guys like this idea then I can make a command-based yes/no style batch file (prettier version) or even a VBscript that does all the work and just asks simple prompts (such as continue? Y/N, directory for ADB, etc.). What do you all think? Yeah? Rooting made a shade easier?


EDIT#2: Why is step #15 exit? Won't that just close cmd?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
a batch file would be great. would eliminate the possibility for mistyped commands.

Step 15 is exit to get out of abd shell and back to the regular command prompt. You cant adb push when in shell.

edit: The only possible issue I see with this would be step 5. If someone has adb in a different directory this wouldnt work.
edit again: nm I noticed you covered that
OMJ is offline  
Last edited by OMJ; September 10th, 2010 at 07:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
RDKamikaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Unknown
Posts: 250
 
Device(s): Bionic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 57 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Thanks for the info. Would you mind if I PM'd you with updates/questions/etc. on this batch file until we both deem it to be complete? For the input variant on where adb is, the only command I know is to use VBscript but I'll google to see if there's a batch variable option
RDKamikaze is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #31 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKamikaze View Post
Thanks for the info. Would you mind if I PM'd you with updates/questions/etc. on this batch file until we both deem it to be complete? For the input variant on where adb is, the only command I know is to use VBscript but I'll google to see if there's a batch variable option
yea pm me and we can get it figured out.
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMJ For This Useful Post:
Smallcurd (September 10th, 2010)
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #32 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you Sebastian Krahmer, karnovaran, and OMJ. Never rooted a phone before, followed directions step by step and copy and pasted all the commands and not a single problem (it gave an error or message on one of the commands, but it also said that same line fails for some but doesn't effect the process, which it didn't). Very good directions especially for someone who has never rooted a phone before.

If you follow it EXACTLY you shouldn't have any problems like me.

Thanks again and thanked.
Smallcurd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lock-N-Load's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: WestSiiiide
Posts: 2,309
 
Device(s): Moto Droid VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 197 Times in 151 Posts
Default

OMJ -

you should edit the title to include FRG22D since many needing this are FRG22D people and the title is kinda vague. doing that might steer them to it quicker.
__________________
/** SGS3 (rooted & stock ROM) **/
/** Asus Prime TF201 (rooted & mildly OC'd) BRICKED BY THE ASUS OTA JB UPATE!**/
/** OG Droid (rooted & OC'd & all hacked up) **/
Lock-N-Load is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #34 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load View Post
OMJ -

you should edit the title to include FRG22D since many needing this are FRG22D people and the title is kinda vague. doing that might steer them to it quicker.
yea Ive changed the title of this thread a few times. Just did it again.
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 108
 
Device(s): Galaxy S III
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Batch file is good idea guys, but I don't think it work since after you use adb shell you're using that interpreter, not the windows commmand shell...

Haven't used these tools, but you need to see how adb shell will allow you to pass scripts... for example, you might be able to do something like: adb shell < adbshellcommands.txt... or you might need multiple adb shell with commands afterwards, from what I found -- check this out Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers
patch is offline  
Last edited by patch; September 10th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to patch For This Useful Post:
OMJ (September 10th, 2010)
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #36 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch View Post
Batch file is good idea guys, but I don't think it work since after you use adb shell you're using that interpreter, not the windows commmand shell...

Haven't used these tools, but you need to see how adb shell will allow you to pass scripts... for example, you might be able to do something like: adb shell < adbshellcommands.txt... or you might need multiple adb shell with commands afterwards, from what I found -- check this out Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers
ugh...hopefully we can get something to work.

I think this will still be workable just some more commands.
OMJ is offline  
Last edited by OMJ; September 10th, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
RDKamikaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Unknown
Posts: 250
 
Device(s): Bionic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 57 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch View Post
Batch file is good idea guys, but I don't think it work since after you use adb shell you're using that interpreter, not the windows commmand shell...

Haven't used these tools, but you need to see how adb shell will allow you to pass scripts... for example, you might be able to do something like: adb shell < adbshellcommands.txt... or you might need multiple adb shell with commands afterwards, from what I found -- check this out Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers
patch, how much do you know about cmd? Maybe we can bash our heads together here and see what solutions we can draw up.

I have a batch file made and ready to test, I'm just passing it through OMJ first before posting. Maybe he will confirm whether adb shell will work or not.

The way I look at it is if adb shell will work in normal cmd, why not in a batch file? It's the same thing, just automated parts. If not a batch file, what about VBScript?
RDKamikaze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 189
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR MAXX; Droid Bionic; Droid 1, 800 mHz UD 3.3.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I'm new to rooting and I'm wondering why this is better than using RSD lite. How related is this to the rooting instructions I found here Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Is one better or worse?
djembeman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #39 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When I enter this command on line 14, this is what happens, is that normal?
$ mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mount: Operation not permitted


Nevermind, i rebooted my phone and started from scratch. the adb shell didnt go to # like it was supposed to. It now works.
LocoWTF is offline  
Last edited by LocoWTF; September 11th, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 189
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR MAXX; Droid Bionic; Droid 1, 800 mHz UD 3.3.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Step 12 tells me permission denied. What is wrong? Seem to be stuck at the $

Has anything happened to my phone yet. Can I just stop now and forget about this for a while?

Update: Oh... I just not have waited long enough. I have Norton installed and it scanned SuperUser succesfully after I did the push for that. Didn't expect it to be so real time.

I rebooted my phone and my Launcher Force closed, but I read somewhere that when rooting it may take a few restarts for things to work perfectly. I have the Super User icon, but is there another way to confirm that I'm rooted?

Great instructions by the way. I have been nervous to root and just decided to take the plunge. Thank you very much for this post. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
djembeman is offline  
Last edited by djembeman; September 11th, 2010 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 11th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 162
 
Device(s): Rooted Moto Droid, Moto Xoom JB, Rooted Moto Droid 2G, Rooted Gtab (VeganGinger), ...formerly Treo,
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 23
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

OMJ et all: THANKS for all the research and effort. It's greatly appreciated!

Earlier this year (back in January) I jumped into rooting my droid without investigating safety nets (like nandroid backups) and ultimately borfed my phone with a mis-typed command. I'm not gonna make that mistake again. I'm ready to root again (isn't that a song title?) but do not want to rush in foolishly.

In this pre-frg22 thread, you and your co-rooting-gurus advocate doing a backup. But in this thread you don't. Howcum?

Thanks!
Dan
cranky_dan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
RDKamikaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Unknown
Posts: 250
 
Device(s): Bionic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 57 Times in 30 Posts
Default

@cranky-dan - I think he didn't mention to do a nandroid backup for one of the following two reasons:
1. He just forgot to mention it because it's always a good idea!
2. He might have thought because this method is 100% reversible and easy to start if you got into a hiccup spot (making it virtually impossible to brick your phone as long as it's charged) that there was no need to do the long process of a nandroid backup.

If you want to know how to remove the root, feel free to mention it! I got the code to test mine from the OP
RDKamikaze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 162
 
Device(s): Rooted Moto Droid, Moto Xoom JB, Rooted Moto Droid 2G, Rooted Gtab (VeganGinger), ...formerly Treo,
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 23
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

That makes sense. I had hoped that you were gonna say something like that.

Thanks!
Dan

see you on the other side.
cranky_dan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #44 (permalink)
OMJ
Bazinga
Thread Author (OP)
 
OMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,288
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt, Fascinate, Nook
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 831 Times in 456 Posts
OMJ.Droid@gmail.com
Default

the reason this thread says nothing about making a backup is because this method does not require or even explain how to get a custom recovery. A custom recovery is required for nandroid backups. If you want to make a backup just download rom manager flash clockworkmod recovery and make a backup. Rom Manager makes it all easy and painless.
OMJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMJ For This Useful Post:
djembeman (October 2nd, 2010)
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 162
 
Device(s): Rooted Moto Droid, Moto Xoom JB, Rooted Moto Droid 2G, Rooted Gtab (VeganGinger), ...formerly Treo,
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 23
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Thanks, OMJ. I'm there, dude. I had a few weird things happen tho.

Initially, at the second shell command, I had the '$' prompt. Things would not proceed from there. I had to start over a buncha times untill my prompt changed to '#'. From there it went much better until that last stretch in shell, 'cause shell would just bounce me out to cmd in the middle of entering (and double-checking) commands. I'd 'adb devices' to make sure the phone was still there and keep going.

All in all, it took me about 45 minutes to an hour to work thru it.

Thanks again to you and all the unseen helpers: Sebastian Krahmer, CRpercodani, UBRocked, and whoever else. This is a great board!

Dan
cranky_dan is offline  
Last edited by cranky_dan; September 12th, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 40
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

The Rageagainstthecage download link doesn't work. Can you fix it?
Nuance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 189
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR MAXX; Droid Bionic; Droid 1, 800 mHz UD 3.3.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
the reason this thread says nothing about making a backup is because this method does not require or even explain how to get a custom recovery. A custom recovery is required for nandroid backups. If you want to make a backup just download rom manager flash clockworkmod recovery and make a backup. Rom Manager makes it all easy and painless.
Is this something recommended or essential? I'm new to rooting here, as of yesterday I have my first rooted phone (Droid 1). I would assume that using Rom Manager to flash clockworkmod recovery would allow me to go back to stock rooted 2.2 FRG22D if I tried to flash a custom ROM.

I tried some things within' ROM manager: I flashed clockworkmod recovery and tried to do "Backup Current ROM" and it failed.

Is there a guide that I can follow for the D1 that will explain Rom Manager and how to use it?

Thanks for the help!
djembeman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 189
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR MAXX; Droid Bionic; Droid 1, 800 mHz UD 3.3.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Default

OK, so I tried again and noticed some of the other options while in the recovery menu. I noticed Nandroid listed... I selected Nandroid and it's doing the backup. I would guess that something is broke in the Rom Manager when it tries to initiate the backup with one click.

Maybe there is just a setting I need to change? Anyways, I have my first Nandroid backup now, which I guess should be step 1 to flashing custom ROMs?
djembeman is offline  
Last edited by djembeman; September 12th, 2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: more info/questions
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 162
 
Device(s): Rooted Moto Droid, Moto Xoom JB, Rooted Moto Droid 2G, Rooted Gtab (VeganGinger), ...formerly Treo,
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 23
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I had the same thing happen...backup failed. I can't remember what it said exactly, but it referred me to a bit.ly url that was broken. Nice, huh?

After googling, I found someone that had run into the same prob as me. In rom manager, they (at the recommendation of the broken bit.ly link) repaired permissions and re-booted. That did nothing for me.

But I also found another forum that said choose the 'reboot into recovery' option. I tried that. Got the recovery screen, exited recovery, and the phone started up. Then I chose backup current rom, and it worked.

I feel sorta bulletproof now.

But, be aware the backup you'll make is of a rooted phone. Same as mine. Just so ya know.

Good luck.
Dan

djembeman...r u in Idaho?
cranky_dan is offline  
Last edited by cranky_dan; September 12th, 2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: to revise
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 162
 
Device(s): Rooted Moto Droid, Moto Xoom JB, Rooted Moto Droid 2G, Rooted Gtab (VeganGinger), ...formerly Treo,
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 23
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
The Rageagainstthecage download link doesn't work. Can you fix it?
I just tried this link and it works for me.
cranky_dan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid > Droid - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.