Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid > Droid - All Things Root
Droid - All Things Root Rooting, ROMS, Overclocking, etc.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 40
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Error: Device not found (adb issue)

K my frustration level is definitely climbing.

I've checked and don't see anything related to this specific issue.

I'm following the step by step instructions on RootYourDroid. Have tried both the custom recovery image (adb shell is what's getting me that message) and the busybox instructions. Each time, in the adb window when I try either option I get an "error: device not found" After doing some research, I found info saying it likely had something to do with the debugging drivers. So I uninstalled them, reinstalled them and went through that whole process again. Tried both the busybox and custom recovery image steps. Still getting the error message.

Anyone have any experience with this issue that might be willing to sling some help my way?

MK_9 is offline  
Last edited by MK_9; March 2nd, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Superuser
 
Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,635
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Sensation 4G, Nexus S, Droid X, XOOM 4G, Touchpad
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 134
Thanked 2,145 Times in 699 Posts
Default

Do you have USB debugging enabled under your settings, application, development?
__________________
Overclocked Rooted Droid X with ApeX


Fabolous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 40
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabolous View Post
Do you have USB debugging enabled under your settings, application, development?
I do.
MK_9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 134
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 227 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK-9 View Post
I do.
this may sound like a dumb question but do you have the motorola drivers?

32bit version:
http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Common/Drivers%20and%20Plug%20ins/USB_Drivers_32_bit_4.2.0.zip

64bit version:
http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Common/Drivers%20and%20Plug%20ins/USB_Drivers_64_bit_4.2.0.zip
DiegoMejia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 40
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoMejia View Post
Yes, have those as well.
MK_9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vincentp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,640
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 59 Times in 50 Posts
Send a message via AIM to vincentp
Default

I'm stumped. I had the same problem when I first installed ADB, but installing the Motorola drivers fixed it.

"adb devices" doesn't list anything? Did you check to make sure the drivers are properly installed? They should show up in Device Manager under ADB interface or something like that.
__________________
The following statement is true
The previous statement is false
vincentp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
esocid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 122
 
Device(s): Moto Droid (40/09) with Cyanogenmod 6.0 Clockwork recovery 2.5.0.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

This happpened with me, but when using rds lite. It wouldn't recognize it, so I uninstalled drivers, rebooted, reinstalled and tried a different usb port and it started working again. So try another port.
esocid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 40
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esocid View Post
This happpened with me, but when using rds lite. It wouldn't recognize it, so I uninstalled drivers, rebooted, reinstalled and tried a different usb port and it started working again. So try another port.
K tried this. No longer getting that message and adb is showing in the device manager.

Unfortunately now, I'm getting a permission denied message when I try to copy the flash_image file.
MK_9 is offline  
Last edited by MK_9; March 3rd, 2010 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
esocid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 122
 
Device(s): Moto Droid (40/09) with Cyanogenmod 6.0 Clockwork recovery 2.5.0.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Copying it to where? Certain directories will require root access. So type su first. If it just sits there you may have to look at your phone and press allow in the little permission box that pops up.
esocid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
natediddy1120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ky
Posts: 16
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid, HTC Droid Incredible 2, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sforbes41@gmail.com
Default

To the OP, are you using Windows? Or Linux or something...
natediddy1120 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I stumbled on the solution -- had the same problem

Below is the content of the text file named "adb_has_moved.txt
You will find it in the following path:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools
or
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools
=============================================

---The adb tool has moved to platform-tools/

If you don't see this directory in your SDK,
launch the SDK and AVD Manager (execute the android tool)
and install "Android SDK Platform-tools"

Please also update your PATH environment variable to
include the platform-tools/ directory, so you can
execute adb from any location.---

==============================================

adb shell Solution:

I am assuming you have downloaded and installed Java JDK (not JRE) and Android SDK.

Open your environment variables. How?
Right-click My Computer, properties, advanced system settings, environment variables.

Now update your adb path as follows:

In the System Variables group, double-click path
1. scroll to the end of the environment string
2. Type ;
3. type C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
** Please note that the path is case sensitive

If you have a 64 bit system
3. type C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

4. click ok, ok

Now your adb shell will work flawlessly.

If it worked for you (I know it will), a little thank you will be proper.
SagayIam is offline  
Last edited by SagayIam; January 15th, 2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: To add my device
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had similar problem.. my device *some times* does not get detected.
But, it works fine after restarting the computer - which was real pain!

Following steps worked for me, with which we can avoid restarting of computer:
1. Start -> run: type "services.msc" and enter
2. Search for "FsUsbExService" -> right click restart.
3. Restart adb server
Open command prompt (Start -> run "cmd" and enter)
<Go to "platform-tools" dir OR add this to system's PATH variable>
adb kill-server
adb start-server

Hope it works!
chbhargava is offline  
Last edited by chbhargava; February 12th, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagayIam View Post
Below is the content of the text file named "adb_has_moved.txt
You will find it in the following path:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools
or
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools
=============================================

---The adb tool has moved to platform-tools/

If you don't see this directory in your SDK,
launch the SDK and AVD Manager (execute the android tool)
and install "Android SDK Platform-tools"

Please also update your PATH environment variable to
include the platform-tools/ directory, so you can
execute adb from any location.---

==============================================

adb shell Solution:

I am assuming you have downloaded and installed Java JDK (not JRE) and Android SDK.

Open your environment variables. How?
Right-click My Computer, properties, advanced system settings, environment variables.

Now update your adb path as follows:

In the System Variables group, double-click path
1. scroll to the end of the environment string
2. Type ;
3. type C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
** Please note that the path is case sensitive

If you have a 64 bit system
3. type C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

4. click ok, ok

Now your adb shell will work flawlessly.

If it worked for you (I know it will), a little thank you will be proper.
But,I have different path for sdk (E:sdk/...).when I set that path error occured 'Failed to set data for path'.
I used adb devices command to check device it gave me name of device connected.
what to do now?Please help me
Thanks in advance.
androiddev561 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid > Droid - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.