Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid X > Droid X - All Things Root
Droid X - All Things Root Rooting, ROMS, Overclocking, etc.

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
emaN resU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 203
 
Device(s): Droid X, WiFi Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 258
Thanked 163 Times in 64 Posts
Default

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Well, I agree with most of your rant. I also purchased the X hoping it would be cracked. But, that's on us. We decided to take a chance and it didn't pay off. So, does that make "us" sheep as well?
While most of us will probably move towards the devices and providers that are less locked, most users don't know or care about the same things we do.
It sucks, but as long as greed rules the business world (and a hint; it always will), we will just have to research our devices more carefully. I don't think we can make enough of an impact on their sales to get any attention.

Anyway, {hug}yawdapaah{/hug} just try and make the best of the current situation.

emaN resU is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #52 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
yawdapaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 900
 
Device(s): VZW Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 81
Thanked 437 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Lol, we all bought the DX hoping for a "miracle". At the time, I don't think anyone locked phones down to that extent so it was a relative unknown. Now we know; making that same "mistake" is, well .

Hugs? Yes please :3
yawdapaah is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yawdapaah For This Useful Post:
emaN resU (March 24th, 2011)
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #53 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
1. he can't sideload apps so he can't install that cool email app I'm using.
2. he can't root the phone and tether (a primary reason for buying the phone) because AT&T will automatically ad the tether plan to your bill,
and more.
i believe BOTH of those issues have been tackled by Atrix devs at this point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
We're gonna get screwed till we do something about it; but we (collectively) don't. In the end, I blame the SHEEP - who refuse to think about the over-arching reasons behind what the carriers and OEMs are doing - and the sell outs - who justify or try to minimize the importance of kernels or whatever. Next, it will be a method to prevent you from rooting, then which maps app you can use or something else. And you'll keep ignoring/justifying it till you cede ALL your rights to the corporations and wake up to find out that you have nothing left.
this is where i have to respectfully disagree with you...you're walking a very thin line with regards to consumer rights, and what we are and are not allowed to do with the products we "own."

- Now, we are quite lucky in regards to mobile phones that the iPhone jailbreak cases have allowed people free reign as far as what they can, and can not modify on their phones, but that is largely IMO, because Apple didn't push as hard as they could have.

- On the other hand, the hackers/devs (Geohot in particular) are going to lose their current case against Sony regarding the PS3...and while the mobile phone precedent has already been set by the jailbreaking cases, the PS3 hack is going to go completely in the other direction and the DMCA is going to be upheld...potentially setting a superseding precedent.

- I don't support the companies in locking down their phones, but at the same time i can't fault them for it. They are protecting their intellectual property. A group of people worked very hard, and spent a lot of money developing the hardware and software that comes in our X's out of the box, and they are simply trying to protect the investment on their end...

- I do completely understand your point...but what i don't think you're realizing is that when you take the stance you are taking is that you end up looking just as bad as the manufacturer, just on the other end of the spectrum.

- I wish we had the choice of unlocking the bootloader...leaving those that make that choice to fend for themselves (no returns, no warranty, no service etc...)but i don't see it happening...
__________________
- Samsung Galaxy SIII (Blue32) - SynergyROM JellyBean - Nova Launcher -
- Droid X - Liberty3 - Overclocked @ 1.15ghz - LauncherPro Plus -


Questions about rooting/modding your VZW Samsung Galaxy S3? Go Here
Metfanant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #54 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuck002 View Post
Yep, and I still have the issue of widgets jumping around and doubling. It's random though, and they typically jump around on a reboot. Otherwise I love GL, and it's not a big enough deal to keep me from using it. I just delete the offending widget and re-add it where its supposed to be.
Have you tried downloading the new go launcher, and in go launcher's preferences, try doing clean rubbish in advanced settings. I had that problem a few updates ago in go launcher, but it's been working flawlessly now...and i'm running apex 1.4.1
dvschnk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #55 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bbuck002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 620
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 126
Thanked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvschnk View Post
Have you tried downloading the new go launcher, and in go launcher's preferences, try doing clean rubbish in advanced settings. I had that problem a few updates ago in go launcher, but it's been working flawlessly now...and i'm running apex 1.4.1
Yeah I just saw there is another new update since I had posted that. Haven't had a chance to dl and apply said clean rubbish. Will do that soon, let it settle in and report back.

As for the argument of locking the phone and the carriers input on that aspect. Here's an important piece of information we are all forgetting, and I just put together coherently in another post. If you buy your device on contract, and receive a subsidized phone (like most of us probably did and got our phones with a NE2 or other upgrade offer) for 150-200 bucks or whatever you paid, then Verizon owns more of your phone than you do. Remember, the full retail of these devices is over $500. When we get them for $150, Verizon is essentially PAYING the other $350+ dollars to get us into two year contracts with them. Yes, I know they aren't paying retail prices, BUT they aren't charging the users retail prices either. Motorola created the device and they will get their money, they don't care who from. This then actually gives VZW the right to pretty much do whatever they want with the devices. If you look at it this way (and I'm sure more than one person is going to have a hissy fit over what I'm saying), then the phones are more Verizon's than ours. Does that suck, definitely. Is it going to change, no way. Do I agree with it, absolutely not. I'm just trying to look at it from every angle. And, unfortunately, none of those angles look good for us, the consumer. Especially, the relatively small percentage of us who want to do interesting things with our devices. If you want total freedom from locked bootloaders and carrier decisions, then you really only have one choice, and that's the Nexus.

Don't forget also, that just a couple of weeks ago, it came through the pipeline that Moto was possibly walking back a bit on their locked bootloaders policy. I think they do understand that we have a very intellegent, vibrant community here that could be used more to their advantage. Hopefully the rumors are also true that the next Nexus is going to be a Moto device. B/c let's face it, Moto's got some of the best build properties of all the companies. I haven't liked any of the Samsung or HTC devices as much when compared to the solid building of X. And the X comes from a long line of solidly built devices. I know everyone hates the locked bootloader, and I do too. It goes against the very nature of Openness. But, they have the right to protect their intellectual property. I say our argument should be "We don't want you intellectual property. We want our own."

Ok, I know that was long, but hopefully there is some good insight in there.

Peace out and Pura Vida!

Brian
bbuck002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ECFfighter7232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,493
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt-I Haz the 4G's! Girlfriend has my old Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 345 Times in 210 Posts
ecffighter7232
Default

Rumor: Gingerbread for DROID X Rolling Out this Sunday? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

anyone want to place bets? lol
__________________
Gtalk is the same as my sn.
PHoldridge7232 on twitter
ECFfighter7232 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #57 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bbuck002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 620
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 126
Thanked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Default

if the rumor came out of the devs IRC channel then my bet is...not a chance in hell will it hit sunday.

hehe

on a more serious note, if this does start hitting on Sunday, what's the best upgrade path? Would I just need to flash the maderstock.zip and then start looking for the update? Or is there more I need to do? I might have frozen some bloat with TIBU but I can easily take care of that.
bbuck002 is offline  
Last edited by bbuck002; March 24th, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bouchigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 3,756
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Droid X running Liberty 3v2.0 with ICS theme, and HP Touchpad with CM7 Alpha 2.1 and H
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 317
Thanked 1,273 Times in 782 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECFfighter7232 View Post
Maybe the are trying to beat that EOL date 3/31/11, so if they no longer do any updates/upgrades after this, they can claim they supported the X until the planned EOL.......hmmmmmm
bouchigo is offline  
Last edited by bouchigo; March 24th, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #59 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ECFfighter7232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,493
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt-I Haz the 4G's! Girlfriend has my old Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 345 Times in 210 Posts
ecffighter7232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouchigo View Post
Maybe the are trying to beat that EOL date 3/3/11, so if they no longer do any updates/upgrades after this, they can claim they supported the X until the planned EOL.......hmmmmmm
hahahaha wouldnt suprise me with the way verizon's been acting recently
ECFfighter7232 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #60 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Kevmueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 766
 
Device(s): Mine - The Nexus, Wife - Droid Bionic, Son - DroidX
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 122
Thanked 147 Times in 119 Posts
Default

On March 21st P3Droid tweeted that Droidx will be getting gingerbread soonish and then later that night said he does not have a timetable and that is up to vzw/Moto but it is stable now.

So now with another report maybe just maybe this is getting closer. After this past weekend I am not going to be staying up Sunday night and trying to pull this down at midnight. I also remember hearing that it was hard to root, so I will want to make sure that someone has a way to root it before making that jump.
__________________
> Samsung Nexus - Rooted and Unlocked
> Huawei Ideos S7 Tablet leaked 2.2 with Stable 1.2
Kevmueller is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #61 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
yawdapaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 900
 
Device(s): VZW Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 81
Thanked 437 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfanant
i believe BOTH of those issues have been tackled by Atrix devs at this point...
At this point, he's even afraid of rooting the phone. Not sure what other "surprises" are coming. Either way, he'll never tether with his phone (not debating the merits of free tethering) although it was one of his primary reasons for getting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfanant
this is where i have to respectfully disagree with you...you're walking a very thin line with regards to consumer rights, and what we are and are not allowed to do with the products we "own."
You're right, it's a thin line to walk. But the corporations have enough muscle and money to think about their own rights. We, as consumers, should worry about ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfanant
Now, we are quite lucky in regards to mobile phones that the iPhone jailbreak cases have allowed people free reign as far as what they can, and can not modify on their phones, but that is largely IMO, because Apple didn't push as hard as they could have.
True, but Apple may have realized that a) this is a small percentage of users b) that people are still buying their stuff every cycle wether they jailbreak or not. I don't know too much about iphones though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfanant
On the other hand, the hackers/devs (Geohot in particular) are going to lose their current case against Sony regarding the PS3...and while the mobile phone precedent has already been set by the jailbreaking cases, the PS3 hack is going to go completely in the other direction and the DMCA is going to be upheld...potentially setting a superseding precedent.
Geohot is going to lose because there is no public outcry about the scam Sony is pulling. With the jailbreaking issue, there so much noise on the issue; even Engadget was making hey about it (if I remember correctly).

Xbox bans you for piracy. A lot of guys got banned cos they had Super Street Fighter 4 early on Xbox. I believe they ban your IP as well. Sony could take the same route to avoid piracy. However, when someone pays $600 for a PS3 that comes with the other OS option (not to mention PS2 compatibility) and then you take that option from them . And no PS2 or PS1 compatibility? I just want to play FF7 again. Also, some researchers want to leverage the power of the PS3 for research (just like the US military) but I digress.

Sony didn't fix the problem, they just screwed us over. Yet the screw'ees seem to be on the side of the screw'er (I'm not talking about you). I've even heard some people call Geohot a jackass when they barely know what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfanant
I don't support the companies in locking down their phones, but at the same time i can't fault them for it. They are protecting their intellectual property. A group of people worked very hard, and spent a lot of money developing the hardware and software that comes in our X's out of the box, and they are simply trying to protect the investment on their end...
Everyone is entitled to protect their intellectual property, but that's not what the efuse is doing. Is there any part of the DX (OS, code, customizations) that is "protected" from the end user? You can access every file (I think). Wouldn't a better way be to prevent root or ADB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfanant
I do completely understand your point...but what i don't think you're realizing is that when you take the stance you are taking is that you end up looking just as bad as the manufacturer, just on the other end of the spectrum.
Again, I don't think about the OEM's rights because they have lawyers to do that. We should try to get them to meet us at some undertandable middle ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfanant
I wish we had the choice of unlocking the bootloader...leaving those that make that choice to fend for themselves (no returns, no warranty, no service etc...)but i don't see it happening...
It won't happen because there's no push for it. Most people don't know and many of us who know don't care.
yawdapaah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #62 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
yawdapaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 900
 
Device(s): VZW Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 81
Thanked 437 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuck002 View Post
If you buy your device on contract, and receive a subsidized phone (like most of us probably did and got our phones with a NE2 or other upgrade offer) for 150-200 bucks or whatever you paid, then Verizon owns more of your phone than you do. Remember, the full retail of these devices is over $500. When we get them for $150, Verizon is essentially PAYING the other $350+ dollars to get us into two year contracts with them.
They are paying us for a commitment. Essentially, they're passing on (what might be a fraction, who knows) the discount they get from Moto to ensure that you'll pay them a MINIMUM of $2010.53 (7% tax) over the period of two years.
yawdapaah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #63 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bbuck002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 620
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 126
Thanked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Thats exactly what I said, in different words. They subsidize the phone to lock us into contracts. Ccuz really, how many of us are gonna pay 500+ dollars every year or two for a new phone. If that were the case, I'd probably still be rocking my Star Tac...
bbuck002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #64 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
Geohot is going to lose because there is no public outcry about the scam Sony is pulling. With the jailbreaking issue, there so much noise on the issue; even Engadget was making hey about it (if I remember correctly).
see, i personally think Geo is going to lose because his exploits have led to piracy on the console...while he may not have done it himself, he provided the keys to the front door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
Xbox bans you for piracy. A lot of guys got banned cos they had Super Street Fighter 4 early on Xbox. I believe they ban your IP as well. Sony could take the same route to avoid piracy.
Sony has been banning consoles as well...not as widespread as Microsoft, but they are...and they are blocking PSN access...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
However, when someone pays $600 for a PS3 that comes with the other OS option (not to mention PS2 compatibility) and then you take that option from them . And no PS2 or PS1 compatibility? I just want to play FF7 again. Also, some researchers want to leverage the power of the PS3 for research (just like the US military) but I digress.
as for PS2 compatibility, its a whole different ballgame...You have to remember that the original PS3 literally had a PS2 on the motherboard...all of the hardware (CPU/GPU) was present...this raises costs...people cried for a cheaper console...first move was to remove the CPU and emulate that with the cell processor...further cost cutting led to the GPU being removed as well...hence, no more PS2 support...

PS1 compatibility still works 100% on ALL PS3 systems...so your FFVII should work completely...its also available on the PSN as a download...

OtherOS is a nightmare...i think the biggest issue here is that was where hackers were trying to get in first...and OtherOS was not a "supported" feature...meaning Sony is not going to provide support for Ubuntu, or any other linux distro...so instead of creating patches for the various issues caused by different distros...they closed the door completely by removing the feature...or you could stay on an old firmware and choose to lose access to the PSN

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
Sony didn't fix the problem, they just screwed us over. Yet the screw'ees seem to be on the side of the screw'er (I'm not talking about you). I've even heard some people call Geohot a jackass when they barely know what's going on.
i find Geo to be a jackass because of the way he handles himself...



Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
Everyone is entitled to protect their intellectual property, but that's not what the efuse is doing. Is there any part of the DX (OS, code, customizations) that is "protected" from the end user? You can access every file (I think). Wouldn't a better way be to prevent root or ADB?
oh i completely agree...im just saying i can see where Moto is coming from...and i can see why the other manufacturers are seriously considering this...



Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
Again, I don't think about the OEM's rights because they have lawyers to do that. We should try to get them to meet us at some undertandable middle ground.
that is a good point as well




Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
It won't happen because there's no push for it. Most people don't know and many of us who know don't care.
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuck002 View Post
If that were the case, I'd probably still be rocking my Star Tac...
wait...its not cool to still use the Star Tac??!!
Metfanant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #65 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
yawdapaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 900
 
Device(s): VZW Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 81
Thanked 437 Times in 257 Posts
Default

@bbuck:
Lol, I had a Star Tac too.
I wasn't trying to disprove what you said. Just wanted to point out that Verizon is (probably) not moving heaven and earth to give us free money.

-------------
@Metfanant:
The other OS feature was part of the purchase though. Users were forced to upgrade and give up that feature or lose PSN (two paid for features). You can't play most games or Blu Rays without updating.

Geohot was never (in my knowledge) a fan of piracy; didn't he discourage it in his firmware? Eitherway, if corporations can strip away features at a whim what's next? Vunerability in Flash so no flash on MotoBlur? Or come up with a reason to get rid of Google Search in favor of something else?
yawdapaah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #66 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
@Metfanant:
The other OS feature was part of the purchase though. Users were forced to upgrade and give up that feature or lose PSN (two paid for features). You can't play most games or Blu Rays without updating.
yes it was a paid feature...but of course you have the option to not agree to the ToS/EULA before you create an account...within said agreement it explains that Sony reserves the right to do this...

is it a crap move? absolutely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
Geohot was never (in my knowledge) a fan of piracy; didn't he discourage it in his firmware? Eitherway, if corporations can strip away features at a whim what's next? Vunerability in Flash so no flash on MotoBlur? Or come up with a reason to get rid of Google Search in favor of something else?
correct, he is outwardly against piracy...but he gave the pirates the keys to unlock the OS...
Metfanant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #67 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
yawdapaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 900
 
Device(s): VZW Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 81
Thanked 437 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
but of course you have the option to not agree to the ToS/EULA before you create an account...within said agreement it explains that Sony reserves the right to do this...
Precisely. Sony reserves the right to do this and therein lies the problem. What rights are reserved for us? To not use PSN? Either way, you're forced to give up something you paid for. Theoretically, Sony also reserves the right to charge for PSN at anytime.

Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point cos I get where you're coming from. Good discussion .

On topic: seems like GB is right around the corner. Hope P3droid for some way to root it.
yawdapaah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #68 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
Precisely. Sony reserves the right to do this and therein lies the problem. What rights are reserved for us? To not use PSN? Either way, you're forced to give up something you paid for. Theoretically, Sony also reserves the right to charge for PSN at anytime.

Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point cos I get where you're coming from. Good discussion .
agree completely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawdapaah View Post
On topic: seems like GB is right around the corner. Hope P3droid for some way to root it.
yes, seems like its coming up rather soon...and all signs point to it being a very smooth experience...if it is, i can see it as the reason why 3.4.2 was never pushed out publicly...P3Droid has said he quite liked the "new" Blur...i just hope it runs smooth and snappy and that we get root quickly...

also, im hoping some of the top devs either stick around, or possibly come back (unlikely) to make some ROMS for Ginger...

and speaking of Ginger...WTF is up with Moto basically abandoning the D2??...according to P3 he doesn't think there will be a release of Ginger for the D2, or at the very least he has not seen it...

i feel bad for those that jumped on the D2 before the D2G came out...
Metfanant is offline  
Last edited by Metfanant; March 24th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

just wanted to bump the thread with....


Quote:
P3Droid



wish me luck evryone, going to grab a drink and try to root GB on my X
Metfanant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 359
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 58 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
just wanted to bump the thread with....
I think he removed the post.
theineffablebob is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bouchigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 3,756
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Droid X running Liberty 3v2.0 with ICS theme, and HP Touchpad with CM7 Alpha 2.1 and H
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 317
Thanked 1,273 Times in 782 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theineffablebob View Post
I think he removed the post.

Nope, it's still there
bouchigo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theineffablebob View Post
I think he removed the post.
definitelystill there
Metfanant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 359
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 58 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Ok, that was weird. I had to login to Twitter for it to show the latest tweets from P3Droid. I see it now.

Twitter / P3Droid: wish me luck evryone, goin ...
theineffablebob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #74 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

off topic, but again...DAMN he is adamant that the D2 is dead in the water...i guess i should have known this when the Global was released...but damn it sucks for those people with that phone...i have 4 or 5 friends that have it...

to think that a phone that came out a month AFTER the X won't be getting this update (at least the way P3 makes it seem) really sucks...

this is what happens when you have a manufacturer pushing out so many different phones so close to eachother...they need to let their phones mature like the OG Droid did...its really off putting when your manufacturer releases a new phone months after they released another...

i personally think the DX2 and D3 (if released this year) is a stupid move by Moto...They should ride the Bionic for the next year and release the DX2/D3 NEXT year when those that bought the original X and D2 are ready for new contracts...
Metfanant is offline  
Last edited by Metfanant; March 25th, 2011 at 12:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #75 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
yawdapaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 900
 
Device(s): VZW Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 81
Thanked 437 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Seems like P3droid couldn't root GB yet. If anyone has an idea about how to root, please contact him asap.
yawdapaah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #76 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bcltoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Gender: Male
Posts: 656
 
Device(s): Moto X
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 130
Thanked 135 Times in 112 Posts
Default

I did not read all the post's in this thread but what do you do if your rooted and you don't want the update. My phone is perfect right now and don't want moto or verizon to muff it up.
bcltoys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #77 (permalink)
Member
 
BIG CAT 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 435
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
I did not read all the post's in this thread but what do you do if your rooted and you don't want the update. My phone is perfect right now and don't want moto or verizon to muff it up.
If you are rooted and rommed then you don't have to worry about the update coming through to my knowledge. If you were to flash back (stock) then there is a possibility that it may come through for you to dl.

I, myself will wait to see what the deal is with GB before I go to it. I am on Fission right now and it is the best Rom I have run and I have pretty much tried them all.....
BIG CAT 7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #78 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,335
 
Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 89
Thanked 1,543 Times in 794 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
I did not read all the post's in this thread but what do you do if your rooted and you don't want the update. My phone is perfect right now and don't want moto or verizon to muff it up.
If you want to be sure, use Root Explorer or a similar application to navigate to /system/app and rename BlurUpdater.apk to BlurUpdater.bak. Boom, no more update.

If you've modified your system, the update will fail and not change anything anyway... but to be sure, just rename the apk above and it'll remove the update capability entirely.
binary visions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #79 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bcltoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Gender: Male
Posts: 656
 
Device(s): Moto X
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 130
Thanked 135 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Yup rooted and running apex 1.3.1 didn't even want to chance going to 1.4.1.
bcltoys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #80 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 612
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 66 Times in 57 Posts
Default

I will be waiting to see as well. If it gets rooted and there is any possibility to flash back to 340 then I will likely give it a go pretty soon after it launches.
Flying_Hellfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #81 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Kevmueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 766
 
Device(s): Mine - The Nexus, Wife - Droid Bionic, Son - DroidX
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 122
Thanked 147 Times in 119 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT 7 View Post
If you are rooted and rommed then you don't have to worry about the update coming through to my knowledge. If you were to flash back (stock) then there is a possibility that it may come through for you to dl.

I, myself will wait to see what the deal is with GB before I go to it. I am on Fission right now and it is the best Rom I have run and I have pretty much tried them all.....
+1 on this!
I will not be jumping right away. I am want make sure we can get root access (I think it will happen). I also want to know if there is a way to get back to 2.2.340 if 2.3 is not all it is said to be. Lastly would like to hear all the problems that others are having first. It will take the developers a little time to get some custom ROMs out on Gingerbread anyway.
Kevmueller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #82 (permalink)
Member
 
BIG CAT 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 435
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Hellfish View Post
I will be waiting to see as well. If it gets rooted and there is any possibility to flash back to 340 then I will likely give it a go pretty soon after it launches.
Right, I want to wait to see if they will get root first and then consider it. Cause I think once you go to GB there ain't no going back to .340. Right now my phone is just the way I like it and I am more than willing to wait it out a bit longer till root is established as well as a couple custom roms...
BIG CAT 7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #83 (permalink)
Member
 
BIG CAT 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 435
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevmueller View Post
+1 on this!
I will not be jumping right away. I am want make sure we can get root access (I think it will happen). I also want to know if there is a way to get back to 2.2.340 if 2.3 is not all it is said to be. Lastly would like to hear all the problems that others are having first. It will take the developers a little time to get some custom ROMs out on Gingerbread anyway.
Were you standing over my shoulder while I was typing, lol....
BIG CAT 7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #84 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ECFfighter7232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,493
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt-I Haz the 4G's! Girlfriend has my old Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 345 Times in 210 Posts
ecffighter7232
Default

you know what else I kinda find weird... why was the last leaked blur build (3.4.2) never pushed out?
I mean, i understand that it was a leak like the 2.3.9 and 2.3.13 that were never released but those were minimal changes from them to the 2.3.15 that we got. same with .320 to .340, minimal changes.
but 3.4.2 had some much bigger changes then what we are on now (the profiles) and I guess was just abandoned?
not that im complaining, I just thought it was odd that it is getting skipped right over
ECFfighter7232 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #85 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bcltoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Gender: Male
Posts: 656
 
Device(s): Moto X
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 130
Thanked 135 Times in 112 Posts
Default

With my eris that is rooted also when the update was sent out I just hit the update button and the notification just disappeared.
bcltoys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #86 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,335
 
Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 89
Thanked 1,543 Times in 794 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECFfighter7232 View Post
you know what else I kinda find weird... why was the last leaked blur build (3.4.2) never pushed out?
I mean, i understand that it was a leak like the 2.3.9 and 2.3.13 that were never released but those were minimal changes from them to the 2.3.15 that we got. same with .320 to .340, minimal changes.
but 3.4.2 had some much bigger changes then what we are on now (the profiles) and I guess was just abandoned?
not that im complaining, I just thought it was odd that it is getting skipped right over
Most likely, 3.4.2 was just the Blur framework that was being developed for the Gingerbread release.

There are two things that are being released every time Moto does an update. First is the OS, updated with the drivers etc. to make it work on the phone. Second is the Blur framework. It's not unusual for development companies to do "feature" work on an old software platform while the new platform is being worked on. So that's what you saw in 3.4.2 - feature work done on an old platform so development and testing could continue, while the new OS was being polished and stabilized.

We do this all the time where I work. A new platform release is being developed, but you don't want to stop feature development just because the platform team is still working, so feature development continues on the old platform, and is ported over to the new platform when it's available.
binary visions is offline  
Last edited by binary visions; March 25th, 2011 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to binary visions For This Useful Post:
ECFfighter7232 (March 25th, 2011)
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #87 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ECFfighter7232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,493
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt-I Haz the 4G's! Girlfriend has my old Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 345 Times in 210 Posts
ecffighter7232
Default

that makes a lot of sense. thanks
ECFfighter7232 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #88 (permalink)
Member
 
BIG CAT 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 435
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
Default

It is weird though because I would think they would have dropped this news on Verizon's site or Motorola's... I mean we haven't heard anything.. That leads me to believe there won't be GB anytime soon....
BIG CAT 7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #89 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT 7 View Post
It is weird though because I would think they would have dropped this news on Verizon's site or Motorola's... I mean we haven't heard anything.. That leads me to believe there won't be GB anytime soon....
nah...they didn't really advertise Froyo either...the only reason Froyo got as much attention as it did (in relation to the X) was because rumors were swirling that the X would be the first phone to ship with 2.2...and because it wasn't they made a big deal about the update coming in "summer"
Metfanant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #90 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Kevmueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 766
 
Device(s): Mine - The Nexus, Wife - Droid Bionic, Son - DroidX
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 122
Thanked 147 Times in 119 Posts
Default

From a marketing standpoint why would they want to do this. Remember back to the end of summer whenever was up in arms that Froyo was not out yet and because Verizon gave dates people were freaking out, heck there were debates to when summer ended on here.

After that if I was Verizon I would work on something and surprise everyone with the update. The PR Version would get is wow, we got this update this is great. If Verizon would have said they will have it out by the end of winter everyone would be pissed because that ended this past week and everyone would be like, about time, what took them so long!

I remember getting my X they said it would ship in 3 weeks, I was not happy, but I knew that, then when it shipped in 4 days I was like alright that is what I am talking about thanks Verizon, great job.
Kevmueller is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #91 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevmueller View Post
From a marketing standpoint why would they want to do this. Remember back to the end of summer whenever was up in arms that Froyo was not out yet and because Verizon gave dates people were freaking out, heck there were debates to when summer ended on here.

After that if I was Verizon I would work on something and surprise everyone with the update. The PR Version would get is wow, we got this update this is great. If Verizon would have said they will have it out by the end of winter everyone would be pissed because that ended this past week and everyone would be like, about time, what took them so long!

I remember getting my X they said it would ship in 3 weeks, I was not happy, but I knew that, then when it shipped in 4 days I was like alright that is what I am talking about thanks Verizon, great job.
there may be an official press release in the days leading up to release...but i wouldn't expect any official word from VZW any sooner than a few days before the roll out, if at all...
Metfanant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #92 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

P3Droid P3Droid

Pay attention to TBH folks if you want to know moto news, but GB coming soon, in vzw language that is less than 6 wks
Metfanant is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Metfanant For This Useful Post:
mruno (March 25th, 2011)
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #93 (permalink)
faber78
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

from twitter link;
Droid X Gingerbread (2.3.3) - PreRelease Thread
 
Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #94 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,333
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 153 Times in 119 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDroid View Post
x2
Although P3Droid is a lot more trustworthy then nenod@$$ I'm gonna be a bit more skeptical about things they announce.
Considering that neno has ZERO credibility now that not hard to do but I've never seen P3 mislead anyone and what he says has always come true that I can remember.
Piiman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #95 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,333
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 153 Times in 119 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevmueller View Post
They would never go for this, but I would love to see them sell the locked versions, which 90%+ of the people would buy. But have a unlocked version that if you buy it is yours and there are no returns. If you break it you've bought it. This would be a way to make everyone happy, but I am sure it would not be cost effective for the carriers so it will never happen.
why do you think it would be cost effective for the carriers? They don't get stuck supporting a phone they would have to otherwise. The way it is now we can still break the phone but Moto tries to prevent us from fixing them. (by changing keys so that sbf files are rendered useless.) Seems to be a little stupid and counter productive on their part to me.

Sell us an unlocked version and supply the tools needs to re flash the phone and everyone is happy, except possible VZW because they won't be able to trick ppl into buy VZ nav or enforce partnership deal with the ones that have said phone. But they can't do it now anyways so whats the difference?
Piiman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #96 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faber78 View Post
great news! i'll be jumping on this as soon as its available i think...from what im gathering, this build is just plain money...ill deal with the fact that we have no root for the time being
Metfanant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #97 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,333
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 153 Times in 119 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuck002 View Post
Yeah I just saw there is another new update since I had posted that. Haven't had a chance to dl and apply said clean rubbish. Will do that soon, let it settle in and report back.

As for the argument of locking the phone and the carriers input on that aspect. Here's an important piece of information we are all forgetting, and I just put together coherently in another post. If you buy your device on contract, and receive a subsidized phone (like most of us probably did and got our phones with a NE2 or other upgrade offer) for 150-200 bucks or whatever you paid, then Verizon owns more of your phone than you do. Remember, the full retail of these devices is over $500. When we get them for $150, Verizon is essentially PAYING the other $350+ dollars to get us into two year contracts with them. Yes, I know they aren't paying retail prices, BUT they aren't charging the users retail prices either. Motorola created the device and they will get their money, they don't care who from. This then actually gives VZW the right to pretty much do whatever they want with the devices. If you look at it this way (and I'm sure more than one person is going to have a hissy fit over what I'm saying), then the phones are more Verizon's than ours. Does that suck, definitely. Is it going to change, no way. Do I agree with it, absolutely not. I'm just trying to look at it from every angle. And, unfortunately, none of those angles look good for us, the consumer. Especially, the relatively small percentage of us who want to do interesting things with our devices. If you want total freedom from locked bootloaders and carrier decisions, then you really only have one choice, and that's the Nexus.


Brian
I have to totally disagree with you here. We get that price because we agree to be their customer for 2 years and not go anywhere else. Deal Done! If you walk into a VZW store they will tell you it is your phone you own Even if they did own 60% of it why should they have 100% control?

The big question is if its my device (and yes VZW has told me that) why can't I uninstall this CityID app or change this bootloader?
Piiman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #98 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piiman View Post
I have to totally disagree with you here. We get that price because we agree to be their customer for 2 years and not go anywhere else. Deal Done! If you walk into a VZW store they will tell you it is your phone you own Even if they did own 60% of it why should they have 100% control?

The big question is if its my device (and yes VZW has told me that) why can't I uninstall this CityID app or change this bootloader?
i dont think he is trying to insinuate that Verizon actually OWNS a portion of your phone, however he is saying that they PAID for more of the phone than you, and therefore reserve rights for themselves to keep you from doing certain things...

as for things like CityID and such...marketing deals most likely prevent apps like that from being removed...

in real GingerBlur news however...this comes from CellZealot, a member of Team Black Hat

Quote:
This is definitely NOT the same build rejected by VZW! This build is dated 3/23/2011 and would not possibly have been tested by anyone outside Motorola yet.
Just an FYI!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uki4-61vhW4&feature=player_embedded
Metfanant is offline  
Last edited by Metfanant; March 27th, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #99 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Home
Gender: Male
Posts: 666
 
Device(s): HTC One (M8)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 79
Thanked 109 Times in 90 Posts
Default

give me root or give me death!
__________________
mruno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #100 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Metfanant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,450
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Blue32), Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 416 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary visions View Post
Most likely, 3.4.2 was just the Blur framework that was being developed for the Gingerbread release.

.
for a follow up on this...apparently 3.4.2 is the version of Blur that the Atrix has on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mruno View Post
give me root or give me death!
Im upgrading whether we have root or not...the things im hearing about GB are just too good to wait lol
Metfanant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid X > Droid X - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.