Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid X > Droid X - Support and Troubleshooting

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 1st, 2010, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 159
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Delete email from server?

Once I delete an email I've read on my phone, can I have it set so that it deletes it from the mail server? It's pretty annoying that I'm seeing these emails again when I login to webmail. I don't see an option in email settings.

Mike20878 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 325
 
Device(s): Droid 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 139
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20878 View Post
Once I delete an email I've read on my phone, can I have it set so that it deletes it from the mail server? It's pretty annoying that I'm seeing these emails again when I login to webmail. I don't see an option in email settings.
This was an issue in my phone as well, I have always used WinMo. Under settings, you simply choose "Keep on Server" or "Delete from Server," at least on Windows Mobile.

I actually don't like deleting Emails from my account, if I delete them on my phone. I use my phone as a sort of flash news alert device, if something catches my eye I'll respond to it, or look at a reply on forums etc... but for anything important or something I need to have a computer screen to enjoy, I use my laptop at home.
DROIDing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 159
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I read a review of a replacement email app called K9 Mail (K9 Mail Android App Review by AndroidTapp.com | Android Tapp. Android App Reviews) that I'm going to try.
Mike20878 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 451
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 89 Times in 45 Posts
Default

I've been using K9 and it works great! If you are using IMAP and delete a message, it will be deleted off of the server and any other device that also has that e-mail set up as IMAP.

For example, I have a MobileMe account that I have set up on my iPad and on my Droid X. If I get a new message, it shows up on both. If I pick up the Droid X and delete the message, it will also disappear from my iPad. The same is true if I first read and delete the message on my iPad.

POP3 is a different story. You can set it to delete a message off of the server, but if you have another device that has already checked mail too before you delete it, it will stay until you delete it from there too. And sometimes it doesn't appear to delete off of the server at all, so I've had mixed results with POP3.

IMAP works great though with both Gmail and MobileMe.
Travisimo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 325
 
Device(s): Droid 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 139
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisimo View Post
I've been using K9 and it works great! If you are using IMAP and delete a message, it will be deleted off of the server and any other device that also has that e-mail set up as IMAP.

For example, I have a MobileMe account that I have set up on my iPad and on my Droid X. If I get a new message, it shows up on both. If I pick up the Droid X and delete the message, it will also disappear from my iPad. The same is true if I first read and delete the message on my iPad.

POP3 is a different story. You can set it to delete a message off of the server, but if you have another device that has already checked mail too before you delete it, it will stay until you delete it from there too. And sometimes it doesn't appear to delete off of the server at all, so I've had mixed results with POP3.

IMAP works great though with both Gmail and MobileMe.
I have POP3 Email through GoDaddy with my domains I own... works very well on WINMO, and I'll be finding out soon with Android!

Does Android have the same auto set-up for Emails WINMO has?
DROIDing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): Samsung Droid Charge
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Steps to remove email from POP server such as GoDaddy Mail

1) Open "Email" application from any page
2) If more than one email account, select the account you would like to delete messages from server on
3) Click on bottom left persistent menu button to bring up options
4) Click "more"
5) Click "account settings"
6) Scroll down and click on "Incoming settings"
7) Scroll down and find drop down box allowing for "Delete email from server", and select "When I delete from Inbox"
8) click next

This feature does not work on Gmail or other similar accounts. It has worked for me for my GoDaddy email accounts to delete the messages moving forward out of both the phone and web inboxes.
MN_Gopher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does anyone have a good system of clearing the "trash" folder? When I select all and delete, K9 shuts down.
Using HTC Incredible.
jimschn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
iron_city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 87
 
Device(s): VZW Galaxy Nexus, DROID X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Hmmm ... which version of K9? I stick to the mainstream releases, and am currently running K9 v3.803. The 3.9 versions were buggy.

On the Droid X, I empty the trash folder the same way you do, and have never had a problem.

The other way is to long press on an account, and pick "Empty Trash" from the menu that pops up.
iron_city is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_city View Post
Hmmm ... which version of K9? I stick to the mainstream releases, and am currently running K9 v3.803. The 3.9 versions were buggy.

On the Droid X, I empty the trash folder the same way you do, and have never had a problem.

The other way is to long press on an account, and pick "Empty Trash" from the menu that pops up.
I tried that and k9 seemed to want to do something but after 30 seconds or so it shut down. Baffled.
jimschn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid X > Droid X - Support and Troubleshooting
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.