October 5th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Thread Author (OP)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.2 Gallery broken, how do I repair?
When I open Gallery, it immediately closes (it never displays any photos or thumbnails).
I added some .nomedia files to my SD card (to hide album art from showing up in Gallery), and that's when Gallery refused to open. It just immediately closes/disappears anytime I try and open Gallery.
I'm trying to avoid a factory reset if possible. Here's what I have tried so far:
- Cleared data/cache for Gallery app (at Settings>applications>manage applications>menu button>filter>all>gallery>clear data and clear cache). Problem still persists. I tried to repeat this, and now the Clear Data and Clear Cache buttons are both grayed out even after I force close Gallery.
- Removed the files under: SD Card\Android\data\com.android.providers.media\albu mthumbs
- Removed SD Card\DCIM\.thumbnails directory
- Removed all photos from the gallery and see if it still crashes. I manually deleted the DCIM folder, and snapped a couple test photos to force the recreation of the DCIM folder. I can view Camera Roll from the camera app, but Gallery still refuses to open.
- I have also booted to recovery mode and noticed the following error: "E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command" From recovery, I used the "Wipe cache partition" utility, rebooted, and Gallery still won't open.
What else can I try? I'm at a loss here. I see a file called "thumbnailScale.trace" but am afraid to delete that.
Last edited by BMWBig6; October 5th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.