Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid X > Droid X - Tips and Tricks

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Droid X - Synching with Exchange - Solved!

Okay Folks,

I have the solution that works perfect! I am not an IT guy, but I refuse to be thrashed about by such an inept reality as not being able to adequately synch and edit calendars with my exchange server and Outlook.

My biggest gripe has been the inability to edit calendar events on the Droid X that were created on Outlook. In my case (which is probably yours too), I was able to edit events created on the handheld (either in Outlook or the handheld), but if created on Outlook, I could only edit them in outlook. The choice on the handheld (Droid X) was to delete it - ONLY!

So here's the trick, and it works perfectly:

Synch your handheld calendar with gmail.
De-select on your handheld the option of synching your calendar with your exchange server.
Have your outlook synch with your exchange server.

With these settings, you do not get double events, and you are able to edit to your hearts delight on the handheld. AND....because you are still tied into the exchange through your Outlook, folks can still see your calendar for scheduling meetings.

These setting allowed me to uninstall Touchdown, which worked but was a pain (I used it only to edit events. How silly.)

I hope this all makes sense.

Good luck!

DG

Advertisements
djonathang is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,409
 
Device(s): A whole drawer full.
Carrier: Verizon (usually)

Thanks: 70
Thanked 210 Times in 153 Posts
Default

I guess I don't understand the issue. I edit exchange calendar entries on my phone regularly with no trouble.
Lars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Chaznsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 351
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Yes, I dont get it, mine works fine.
Chaznsc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): Droid X Froyo 2.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm actually having the opposite problem - can't edit Exchange meeting requests that have been created on the phone. It doesn't add "me" as the organizer of the meeting when it is created, so when I try to edit it, I can't save my changes because a required field is empty and uneditable.
HeatInIowa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
gimmeanathlon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 69
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid BB 2.2 Froyo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaznsc View Post
Yes, I dont get it, mine works fine.
Ditto.
gimmeanathlon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonathang View Post
Okay Folks,

I have the solution that works perfect! I am not an IT guy, but I refuse to be thrashed about by such an inept reality as not being able to adequately synch and edit calendars with my exchange server and Outlook.

My biggest gripe has been the inability to edit calendar events on the Droid X that were created on Outlook. In my case (which is probably yours too), I was able to edit events created on the handheld (either in Outlook or the handheld), but if created on Outlook, I could only edit them in outlook. The choice on the handheld (Droid X) was to delete it - ONLY!

So here's the trick, and it works perfectly:

Synch your handheld calendar with gmail.
De-select on your handheld the option of synching your calendar with your exchange server.
Have your outlook synch with your exchange server.

With these settings, you do not get double events, and you are able to edit to your hearts delight on the handheld. AND....because you are still tied into the exchange through your Outlook, folks can still see your calendar for scheduling meetings.

These setting allowed me to uninstall Touchdown, which worked but was a pain (I used it only to edit events. How silly.)

I hope this all makes sense.

Good luck!

DG
DG,

Your directions don't explain how your Gmail account then syncs up with Outlook or Exchange. Could you include those instructions please?
grige is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 306
 
Device(s): Iphone 5 Ipad Mini 32GB 4GLTE Ipad 2 Ipad Mini 16GB WIFI Macbook Pro
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Anyone solve the biggest issue i have with exchange email.....ie, you can't control when it sync's? IE, i don't want it to check the email unless I WANT it too....not at the same time it checks my gmail account?
gadgetmonster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,409
 
Device(s): A whole drawer full.
Carrier: Verizon (usually)

Thanks: 70
Thanked 210 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetmonster View Post
Anyone solve the biggest issue i have with exchange email.....ie, you can't control when it sync's? IE, i don't want it to check the email unless I WANT it too....not at the same time it checks my gmail account?

Well yea, just push Home, menu, settings, data manager, data delivery, Email and Corp, Email Delivery, Manual

Then it will only send/rec when you open the app or push refresh.
Lars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 306
 
Device(s): Iphone 5 Ipad Mini 32GB 4GLTE Ipad 2 Ipad Mini 16GB WIFI Macbook Pro
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Yeah but then it doesn't auto check my gmail like I want it to every 15min.
gadgetmonster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,409
 
Device(s): A whole drawer full.
Carrier: Verizon (usually)

Thanks: 70
Thanked 210 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Yea but it checks when you open it... So use the gmail app then...
Lars is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grige View Post
DG,

Your directions don't explain how your Gmail account then syncs up with Outlook or Exchange. Could you include those instructions please?
Okay,

Once again, I'm not the most IT savvy person, but I think it goes like this:

Droid X is synched with exchange (contacts and email only). Calendar is not checked.
Outlook is synched with exhchange
Google calendar is snynched with outlook email address.

All I can say is it works. The key is to leave outlook up and running, or else it won't synch (over the weekend for example).

I hope this helps.

DG
djonathang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,409
 
Device(s): A whole drawer full.
Carrier: Verizon (usually)

Thanks: 70
Thanked 210 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Likely using google calendar sync app.
Lars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Likely using google calendar sync app.

Yes!
djonathang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 545
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 39
Thanked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Default

If you are truly using a corporate style exchange account, you shouldn't need to leave Outlook open. The information is not stored in the local computer's Outlook. Instead it is stored on the corporate exchange server which should always be on. So it doesn't matter if the local machine has Outlook running (or is even turned on for that matter).

However, in your case you are using the google calendar sync program which is different than using an exchange server. In that case you do might need to keep the Outlook program open. (I use the exchange server option, so I don't have personal experience using the Google Calendar Sync program).

I'm not suggesting that you change what you are doing. If it works for you, go with it. I'm just trying to clarify some things for people that might read the thread in the future.
__________________
Rocking a Galaxy Nexus since the end of Feb 2012. I had a DroidX prior to that.
sic0048 is offline  
Last edited by sic0048; January 28th, 2011 at 08:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,409
 
Device(s): A whole drawer full.
Carrier: Verizon (usually)

Thanks: 70
Thanked 210 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Here's another trick. If you want to share contacts among multiple people with Exchange, create an exchange account and call it office@xyz.com put all the contacts you want to share in that accounts contact folder. Provide everyone the log in info and they can program a second account on thier phone for those contacts (works for calendar too).

In outlook simply share the folder "office" with the users and it will show in their Outlook pane.

Everyone can update and add contacts! I have tried many sync apps and other solutions but this one seems to work best and is simple.
Lars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
If you are truly using a corporate style exchange account, you shouldn't need to leave Outlook open. The information is not stored in the local computer's Outlook. Instead it is stored on the corporate exchange server which should always be on. So it doesn't matter if the local machine has Outlook running (or is even turned on for that matter).

However, in your case you are using the google calendar sync program which is different than using an exchange server. In that case you do might need to keep the Outlook program open. (I use the exchange server option, so I don't have personal experience using the Google Calendar Sync program).

I'm not suggesting that you change what you are doing. If it works for you, go with it. I'm just trying to clarify some things for people that might read the thread in the future.
I actually do use a real exchange server. It seems from the string of conversation that for some inexplicable reason, we all have different experiences with the same exact phone. For example, HeatInIowa above says, "I'm actually having the opposite problem - can't edit Exchange meeting requests that have been created on the phone."

For whatever reason, if my Outlook is off, the updating doesn't work right. When I leave it on, all is well.

What would be nice is if the folks at Motorola and/or Verizon figured out how to make the email software work with exchange, as have other makers and providers. I am amazed that this is even an issue to contend with in today's global/communication environment.

DG
djonathang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,409
 
Device(s): A whole drawer full.
Carrier: Verizon (usually)

Thanks: 70
Thanked 210 Times in 153 Posts
Default

At least our phones can handle multiple exchange accounts. I don't think Windows Mobile can.
Lars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 545
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 39
Thanked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Default

djonathang - I think it is because you are not using the exchange server to sync your calendar. You are relying on the Google sync program for that portion of the system. I don't doubt that you have to leave the computer on for that to work.

However, I think it you allowed exchange to sync the calendar too and dropped the google sync program completely, you won't have to keep the computer turned on.

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative or suggest that you mess around with something that works for you. I know some of this stuff can be difficult to get working right.

Perhaps I am lucky, but I don't have any issues with syncing between the phone, Outlook, or Act! contact management system. But I also had IT support from my company to get the phone syncing using the exchange server.

I suspect most people's problem is not necessarily with the phone. I think most issues can be broken into three parts:

1) How their company has set up the exchange server - different settings might be the difference in having one system work and other not.

2) Settings on the phone. Setting all this can be tough. I was lucky enough to have a set of directions from IT support directly from the company. It made it much easier than me fumbling around the settings, trying to find something that works.

3) Which App a person uses. I'm using Touchdown Exchange with is a paid third party app. While I did have it set up using the OEM Corporate Sync app, TE gives me a lot more options and usability. So I agree that Verizon/Motorola has some ground to make up in this regard. But a person should be able to set up basic stuff with the Corporate Sync app. If not, I suspect the first two items are the cause for most people's issue.
sic0048 is offline  
Last edited by sic0048; January 28th, 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
djonathang - I think it is because you are not using the exchange server to sync your calendar. You are relying on the Google sync program for that portion of the system. I don't doubt that you have to leave the computer on for that to work.

However, I think it you allowed exchange to sync the calendar too and dropped the google sync program completely, you won't have to keep the computer turned on.

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative or suggest that you mess around with something that works for you. I know some of this stuff can be difficult to get working right.

Perhaps I am lucky, but I don't have any issues with syncing between the phone, Outlook, or Act! contact management system. But I also had IT support from my company to get the phone syncing using the exchange server.

I suspect most people's problem is not necessarily with the phone. I think most issues can be broken into three parts:

1) How their company has set up the exchange server - different settings might be the difference in having one system work and other not.

2) Settings on the phone. Setting all this can be tough. I was lucky enough to have a set of directions from IT support directly from the company. It made it much easier than me fumbling around the settings, trying to find something that works.

3) Which App a person uses. I'm using Touchdown Exchange with is a paid third party app. While I did have it set up using the OEM Corporate Sync app, TE gives me a lot more options and usability. So I agree that Verizon/Motorola has some ground to make up in this regard. But a person should be able to set up basic stuff with the Corporate Sync app. If not, I suspect the first two items are the cause for most people's issue.

Hey SIC0048,

No worries about being argumentative. I have no doubt that there's a better way. Between my amateur status, and the quality of the corporation's exchange hosting capability, I have no doubt where the problem lies.

Just for the record, I adore the Droid X - challenges and all. The phone is friggin amazing. I find myself saying that just about every day to some poor listener.

Cheers.

DG
djonathang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Oh,

I just read your post again. The reason for my original post was that I couldn't edit my calendar items that were created when I was synching with exchange. That was the whole reason for the post. Hmm...Groundhog Day?

DG
djonathang is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid X > Droid X - Tips and Tricks
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.