Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Epic 4G > Epic 4G - All Things Root
Epic 4G - All Things Root Rooting, ROMS, Overclocking, etc.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Gavisann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 291
 
Device(s): EPIC 4G (ACS ISC v.5)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Default Voltage Control: Conservative or Performance Governor

I have been running 1.2 Ghz with 1000 - 200 at a -85mV undervoltage while using the Conservative governor. I decided that I should push my phone even more so I bumped the OC to 1.3 Ghz, but change the governor to Performance because on Conservative, the clock would never exceed 1.2 ghz according to CPU Spy.

So my question is, which governor will allow me to run 1.3 Ghz when I need it, and lower the clock to 200, 400, or 600 Mhz when I am not using it.

I am running SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2 w/Genocide Kernel 2.0 using Voltage Control.

Gavisann is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rounsy222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: superior wi
Posts: 592
 
Device(s): Samsung epic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Which version of voltage control are you using? According to the op of the genocide thread on xda the only oversin that will work consistently and he will support is version 3.0.3. And from my experience that is true, however i have been able to use and early version of setcpu as well. Also conservative is the recommended governor as well. Hope this helps :-)
rounsy222 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 667
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid, Samsung Epic 4G, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 76 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounsy222 View Post
Which version of voltage control are you using? According to the op of the genocide thread on xda the only oversin that will work consistently and he will support is version 3.0.3. And from my experience that is true, however i have been able to use and early version of setcpu as well. Also conservative is the recommended governor as well. Hope this helps :-)
I didn't see that anywhere in the OP, only the link to the Voltage Control 3.0 apk... Unless it has been updated recently, the version I have is only 3.0 rc2, or 3.0 alpha, depending on where you look...

One other thing to consider is to enable journaling before you start playing around with the undervolt option....just in case you get some data corruption...
icecold is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecold For This Useful Post:
rounsy222 (August 3rd, 2011)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rounsy222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: superior wi
Posts: 592
 
Device(s): Samsung epic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
I didn't see that anywhere in the OP, only the link to the Voltage Control 3.0 apk... Unless it has been updated recently, the version I have is only 3.0 rc2, or 3.0 alpha, depending on where you look...

One other thing to consider is to enable journaling before you start playing around with the undervolt option....just in case you get some data corruption...
You are right about the voltage control, i just downloaded just to verify and it is different from the one i had listed, which is odd because i did download that version from his thread at some point. I have been following and using his kernel from the very first day the thread was opened. At any rate it still is one that he supports. The newer versions has changes that dont get along with his kernel as it should, same with setcpu. And you are dead on as far as making sure you enable journaling if you rom already isnt. Thank you for pointing out the version, made me reread his op and refreshed it in my old mellon. :-)
rounsy222 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 667
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid, Samsung Epic 4G, Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 76 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounsy222 View Post
You are right about the voltage control, i just downloaded just to verify and it is different from the one i had listed, which is odd because i did download that version from his thread at some point.
Do you still have the old .apk file? I am a little curious now... If you open up the version that is currently up on the XDA thread (the 3.0 rc2 or whatever) in WinZip or similar, it is showing the modified dates as 1/9/2011. Assuming you still have the old apk file, are the dates newer or older?
icecold is offline  
Last edited by icecold; August 4th, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Epic 4G > Epic 4G - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.