Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Eris > Eris - All Things Root
Eris - All Things Root Rooting, ROMS, Overclocking, etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PTBHBI

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 121
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 32 Times in 6 Posts
Default Speech to text mic icon missing from keyboard ?

Have an Eris with 2.1, but the keyboard doesn't have the mic icon for typing text by speaking. How so ?

I'm not rooted by the way.

Advertisements
StDevious is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DDustiNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 63 Times in 37 Posts
Default

The stock keyboard doesn't have speech-to-text... what you've seen is a modified version:

[MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

Oh and yes you can install it without being rooted. You just have to go to Settings >> Applications >> Unknown sources and make sure it's allowed, then you can install the .apk file from a file manager (Astro, EStrong, etc).
DDustiNN is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DDustiNN For This Useful Post:
StDevious (July 16th, 2010)
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 121
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 32 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
The stock keyboard doesn't have speech-to-text... what you've seen is a modified version:

[MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

Oh and yes you can install it without being rooted. You just have to go to Settings >> Applications >> Unknown sources and make sure it's allowed, then you can install the .apk file from a file manager (Astro, EStrong, etc).
I don't see a mic icon on that keyboard in portrait mode, am i missing something ?
StDevious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DDustiNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 63 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Get this one:

http://www.hallerud.se/htc_ime_jonasl_lowres_27.zip

I believe that's the one I am using, and it does have the mic.

There is an option in the settings to turn it off. When it's on, the mic key takes the place of the settings key. To access settings, you hold the mic key until it changes to settings. When it's off, that key is just the settings key.

Also, there is an option to turn off the smileys key. When that is disabled, the key returns to the original "hide keyboard" function.
DDustiNN is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DDustiNN For This Useful Post:
Everwood (August 7th, 2010), StDevious (July 16th, 2010)
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 121
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 32 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Get this one:

http://www.hallerud.se/htc_ime_jonasl_lowres_27.zip

I believe that's the one I am using, and it does have the mic.

There is an option in the settings to turn it off. When it's on, the mic key takes the place of the settings key. To access settings, you hold the mic key until it changes to settings. When it's off, that key is just the settings key.

Also, there is an option to turn off the smileys key. When that is disabled, the key returns to the original "hide keyboard" function.
sweet i'll give it a try, thanks!
StDevious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

im trying to get this to work?? there are two .apk files in the zip above....?
jsparacio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 55
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi,

I installed the HTC IME app linked to above on my Orange Uk 2.1 and get no mic icon either. Enabled as described the HTC IME and the mic specifically within it but seems to use stock Touch input regardless - certainly no change I can discern.

Matt
franners is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Actual Resolution: Install Google Voice Search.

I know what you're thinking. "No, you idiot! I'm not missing search anything! I'm missing the Microphone icon on my keyboard for Speech to Text!"

Seriously. Install Google Voice Search and your precious microphone will be back. I had this problem, found the resolution elsewhere, but this thread was the first result when googling "android keyboard missing microphone".

Hopefully this helps point folks in the right direction.
joshtalgia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Problem is google voice search is for android 2.2, so that doesn't help those with 2.1.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtalgia View Post
Actual Resolution: Install Google Voice Search.

I know what you're thinking. "No, you idiot! I'm not missing search anything! I'm missing the Microphone icon on my keyboard for Speech to Text!"

Seriously. Install Google Voice Search and your precious microphone will be back. I had this problem, found the resolution elsewhere, but this thread was the first result when googling "android keyboard missing microphone".

Hopefully this helps point folks in the right direction.
MaxSteel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
prj
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 265
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSteel View Post
Problem is google voice search is for android 2.2, so that doesn't help those with 2.1.

Any thoughts?
Google voice search is for all versions. Go to the market and download it. POOF! microphone will be back on your keyboard.
prj is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,800
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 519
Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prj View Post
Google voice search is for all versions. Go to the market and download it. POOF! microphone will be back on your keyboard.
Actually, it requires 2.2.

See https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.voicesearch&feature= search_result
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to misssstoad
Default how to get the mic on keyboard

To switch the keyboard to Android Multi-touch keyboard or Swype, touch and hold a blank spot in any text box. A menu opens, touch Input method.
misssstoad is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to misssstoad For This Useful Post:
exoplanetary (April 5th, 2012)
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssstoad View Post
To switch the keyboard to Android Multi-touch keyboard or Swype, touch and hold a blank spot in any text box. A menu opens, touch Input method.
Great tip! A lot of new users (myself included) get tripped up with that step.
aeschtl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LBPHeretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,368
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero (OEM Android 2.1) [Rooted] B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 507 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
Actually, there is a version for Android 2.1 as well. I know this because the OEM Android 2.1 HTC Sense ROM that my Sprint HTC Hero was rocking, before I rooted so long ago, had it.

Here is a link to the Android 2.1 version of Google Voice Search: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.voicesearch.x&featur e=search_result .
__________________
Nokia 638 > Motorola Talkabout > Motorola V60t > Motorola V60i > Motorola V505 > Samsung Epix > HTC Hero & Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Tweet with me about Android on Twitter. (Please follow to see my tweets.)
LBPHeretic is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LBPHeretic For This Useful Post:
doogald (March 10th, 2012)
Old March 10th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,800
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 519
Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBPHeretic View Post
Actually, there is a version for Android 2.1 as well. I know this because the OEM Android 2.1 HTC Sense ROM that my Sprint HTC Hero was rocking, before I rooted so long ago, had it.

Here is a link to the Android 2.1 version of Google Voice Search: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.voicesearch.x&featur e=search_result .
Thanks. Nice correction. I was thinking about the Voice Actions part of Voice Search, which are Froyo and above.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LBPHeretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,368
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero (OEM Android 2.1) [Rooted] B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 507 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
Thanks. Nice correction. I was thinking about the Voice Actions part of Voice Search, which are Froyo and above.
That is very understandable. The version for Android 2.1 is really only limited to voice dictation and voice searching, but it does enable the microphone button on the virtual keyboard as well.

The advanced Google Voice Actions of Android 2.2+ are what most people think of too since mostly everyone is rocking those versions at this point in time. Soon enough, we will see even more advanced voice control functions via Google Assistant.
LBPHeretic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Are you kidding me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssstoad View Post
To switch the keyboard to Android Multi-touch keyboard or Swype, touch and hold a blank spot in any text box. A menu opens, touch Input method.
I have literally been trying to figure out how to do this very simple thing for almost 3 hrs!

PEOPLE! IF YOUR MIC ON YOUR TEXTING KEYBOARD WAS THERE AND NOW ITS NOT THIS IS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO! NOT DOWNLOAD GOOGLE VOICE SEARCH OR WHATEVER IT IS! DON'T DOWNLOAD ANYTHING!
I FEEL SO RIDICULOUS AFTER READING THIS BUT I AM SO GLAD MY MIC IS BACK! THANK YOU!
omg wtf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My button was there before but when I went to use it today it was gone. I discovered that if you touch in the text box to bring up the keyboard there is a settings button on the keyboard ( a little gear icon). Under there I found a check box for Voice input and it was unchecked. I checked it and returned the message and keyboard and my Mic button was back.
Bob Cat likes this.
PTBHBI is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Careful, They're sharp!!
 
Bob Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Midland's, South Carolina
Posts: 7,037
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Big Red

Thanks: 2,599
Thanked 4,219 Times in 1,954 Posts
Default

Glad it worked for you and Welcome to Android Forums, PTBHBI!!
Bob Cat is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just got the Samsung Admire II,
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
(API level 16),

and the microphone was missing from the text-messaging application.

The default seems to be off.

To turn it back on, according to my device and Android OS, navigate the following:

Settings >
Personal:Language and input >
Swipe (click settings icon) >
Settings (again) >
Voice and Handwriting (check the box "Show Voice Key").


Mic-icon is back! Speech-texting returned.

--My 2.5 cents --

What a mess huh? Found it underneath all the ambiguous upper levels. Sometimes the geekiest developers "organize" to the extreme and make weird assumptions. "Well let's see here.. I don't use this microphone, it's texting not talking, so I'll just set the default to OFF and let's put it way down here so if someone some day may need it.. but I doubt it".

Not! Oh well.
Mana619 is offline  
Last edited by Mana619; August 23rd, 2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Color reformat
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Eris > Eris - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.