Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Accessories

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 165
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Bluetooth keyboard for Evo

Anybody using a bluetooth keyboard and or mouse on the Evo.

Which one?
How well does it work?

Thanks.

Advertisements
cyberpine is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,265
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,670
Thanked 57,090 Times in 22,929 Posts
Default

This is all I heard so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
A little pricey, but...

Teksoft - Future Teknology

For root users... (beware, other forums indicate this doesn't work with all phones)

Reading, Writing and Arithmetic: Connect Bluetooth Keyboard in Android Dev Phone
I appreciate you taking the time to post this =)

Both these options dont work though. I wish someone could come up with a DECENT bluetooth keyboard HID android app

Then I could finally replace my laptop with my smartphone entirely...

I've tried Teksoft already and it is god AWFUL at the moment. Half the key's on my bluetooth keyboard dont work and it will input a letter in twice for a single keypress. They said they were releasing an update in late July to help but there is a reason that the app has a less than 2 star rating.

I don't want to kill my warranty so the root method wont work for most users plus it's not refined enough yet to work with most phones.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 100
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Default

CM6 for Evo 4G in the works, will bring BT HID profiles, full HDMI and more [Video] - Sprint Android Forum

i rooted my phone and flashed the CM6 nightly rom and it is beast... 360 degree phone rotation, free wifi/usb tether, bluetooth voice dial, and best of all.... FROYO!
igzekyativ is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to igzekyativ For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (July 22nd, 2010)
Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by igzekyativ View Post
CM6 for Evo 4G in the works, will bring BT HID profiles, full HDMI and more [Video] - Sprint Android Forum

i rooted my phone and flashed the CM6 nightly rom and it is beast... 360 degree phone rotation, free wifi/usb tether, bluetooth voice dial, and best of all.... FROYO!
Would love to know how you did that??
Neitherfanboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rob_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 835
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO Shift 4G, HTC Rezound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 123
Thanked 220 Times in 110 Posts
Default

it sucks that we have to root to get HID Bluetooth to work
Rob_A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
stainlessray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the right coast
Posts: 644
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 320
Thanked 104 Times in 70 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to stainlessray raymondcoolmail@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_A View Post
it sucks that we have to root to get HID Bluetooth to work
+1

If we wait for OTA 2.2, can we expect all this new functionality while preserving warranty/TEP ins ??
__________________
60% of the time, it works every time
----------------------------------------------------
http://androidforums.com/members/sta...etersaysow.gif
stainlessray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 304
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 40
Thanked 82 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by igzekyativ View Post
CM6 for Evo 4G in the works, will bring BT HID profiles, full HDMI and more [Video] - Sprint Android Forum

i rooted my phone and flashed the CM6 nightly rom and it is beast... 360 degree phone rotation, free wifi/usb tether, bluetooth voice dial, and best of all.... FROYO!
IOW, FroYo. All those things are standard in FroYo. If you don't want to root, wait for HTC to finish up their 2.2 release to get 360 degree rotation, wifi/usb tether, bluetooth voice dial, etc. etc. except with the benefit of having Sense on top.
mynamewastaken is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mynamewastaken For This Useful Post:
stainlessray (July 23rd, 2010)
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 212
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 52
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

The Freedom Pro BT keyboard works - there are several threads on it. My EVO is not yet rooted. I did have some initial problems getting it to connect once paired, but now it seems to be quite reliable.
TambourineMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tre Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,475
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 100
Thanked 234 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TambourineMan View Post
The Freedom Pro BT keyboard works - there are several threads on it. My EVO is not yet rooted. I did have some initial problems getting it to connect once paired, but now it seems to be quite reliable.

Thanks...off to search.
Tre Lawrence is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 100
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamewastaken View Post
IOW, FroYo. All those things are standard in FroYo. If you don't want to root, wait for HTC to finish up their 2.2 release to get 360 degree rotation, wifi/usb tether, bluetooth voice dial, etc. etc. except with the benefit of having Sense on top.
Sprint will probably block the wifi tether since they currently charge you for it
igzekyativ is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 304
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 40
Thanked 82 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by igzekyativ View Post
Sprint will probably block the wifi tether since they currently charge you for it
I don't know.. maybe if they don't have very many people paying for it, they'll start allowing it for free for the better press. They already give away Sprint Navigation (it's not free on other phones, or rather, it's part of the $10 extra, depending on who you ask) because no-one with an EVO would pay for it separately given Google's already integrated nav app. Maybe they will take the same approach with wi-fi tethering.

Or maybe not. I just can't say for 100% certain that Sprint will simply disable/remove the FroYo wi-fi tethering until I see what they end up doing.
mynamewastaken is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 218
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 50 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamewastaken View Post
I don't know.. maybe if they don't have very many people paying for it, they'll start allowing it for free for the better press. They already give away Sprint Navigation (it's not free on other phones, or rather, it's part of the $10 extra, depending on who you ask) because no-one with an EVO would pay for it separately given Google's already integrated nav app. Maybe they will take the same approach with wi-fi tethering.

Or maybe not. I just can't say for 100% certain that Sprint will simply disable/remove the FroYo wi-fi tethering until I see what they end up doing.
Hrm? Sprint navigation has been free on every smartphone i've had since over two years ago, including all blackberrys, samsungs etc.
tjwoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

agreed, sprint nav has always been free on my smartphones as well. I would guess that sprint will block wifi tethering in the rom. even though its a feature of the OS sprint ultimately does what they want with the rom before releasing it to customers (touch pro fm radio disabled). and since they are generating some revenue from those who actually pay for wifi tether, I doubt they will allow those who simply upgrade their OS to get it for free.
henbone11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 304
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 40
Thanked 82 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 View Post
agreed, sprint nav has always been free on my smartphones as well. I would guess that sprint will block wifi tethering in the rom. even though its a feature of the OS sprint ultimately does what they want with the rom before releasing it to customers (touch pro fm radio disabled). and since they are generating some revenue from those who actually pay for wifi tether, I doubt they will allow those who simply upgrade their OS to get it for free.
Sprint will have to decide if the revenue they're getting from users paying for tethering is greater than the customers they can attract by offering tethering for free.
mynamewastaken is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CriticalCritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,886
 
Device(s): Home-OG Evo // Me-LTEvo // Wife-OG Evo // Son-LG Opt S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 980
Thanked 563 Times in 313 Posts
Default

So what is the status on BT keyboards post OTA 2.2? Does this "Freedom Pro BT keyboard" still work? Is it the only thing that works?
CriticalCritic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlessray View Post
+1

If we wait for OTA 2.2, can we expect all this new functionality while preserving warranty/TEP ins ??
Apparently not, I was hoping that 2.2 would allow me to use my Stowaway iGo BT keybaord, but no :-(

Although I've been singing my Android phones praises over the iPhone 4 to my colleagues, I was able to successfully and painlessly get my keybaord working with both the iPhone 4 and iPad.

It really does bug me that something so simple hasn't found its way into the 2.2 build.
pominnz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): Sprint EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I picked up an HID bluetooth keyboard thinking I could easily connect it to my Sprint EVO 4G. I tried BlueInput and KeyPro, but neither works. I do not want to root my phone because it will void the warranty/insurance. What is OTA 2.2, do I have it, or where can I get it? Will it solve my connection problem?
CaCa2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 07:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 212
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 52
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Any updates on what bluetooth keyboards work with what versions of Android?
TambourineMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Free" WIFI Keyboard" Android App to type to phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpine View Post
Anybody using a bluetooth keyboard and or mouse on the Evo.

Which one?
How well does it work?

Thanks.
I bought an HTC Hero phone & waited... for Bluetooth keyboard connectivity.
I got an HTC EVO & waited... for Bluetooth keyboard connectivity.

I have a Logitech Revue system (full-sized keyboard). I installed the free "WIFI Keyboard" Android app on both the Hero & EVO, went to the Chrome browser on my Revue system, and entered the unique URL listed from the app, and "Connected"... I was able to type on the Revue keyboard to either phone (I have Exchange email on the phones.). I can change the input to TV, and continue to type to the phone, while I watch TV. This isn't Bluetooth, its WIFI. And, the app only works where you have a keyboard attached to a laptop, PC, or in my case the Revue. But, if the Android OS programmers ever provide the appropriate Bluetooth keyboard driver(s), it will be sweet to plop my phone down, pick up a full-sized keyboard and start actually being productive from my smart phone.
bgibson135 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TambourineMan View Post
Any updates on what bluetooth keyboards work with what versions of Android?

I bought a BT mini keyboard several months ago with much anticipation and excitement! NO JOY!

I had found a few BT drivers to alternate putting on the phone, and those aren't even just readily available on the market.
But after perusing several other forums and researching this matter deeply, the upshot on this mess is that at the very least, HTC Androids do not come equipped with the BT HID stack needed.

Note, I have a rooted phone running MikGB 2.5 and it still doesn't matter.
I ran CM7 about a year ago and switched back to sense. If I'd stayed on the CM build, I could have utilized it.
The difference in essence is this:
Sense, which is the ROM Mik and HTC for stock builds use, doesn't support BT HID.
CyaongenMod is an AOSP ROM, and it WILL support the BT HID or does come with the BT HID stack in it.
I think Vaelek might be an AOSP ROM if he's still doing anything with it. Not sure.
But that's the bottom line -AOSP ROMs can do the BT keyboard and Sense ROMs, at least pre-ICS, cannot. I don't even know if an ICS build can do it either.
redraiduzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Accessories
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.