Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Support and Troubleshooting

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Capacitive Button Not Lit Up

Anybody else experienced this issue? Here's the pattern of this bug:

1. The capacitive buttons stays lit (when the screen is on) while charging if the battery is not fully charged (orange/yellow LED indicator).


2. The capacitive buttons do not stay lit (when the screen is on) while charging if the battery is fully charged (green LED indicator).


It's very annoying fumbling for these buttons in the dark while being charged at home. I use my Evo mounted in my car for the most part with full time charging (a must for the Evo) for navigation, music, etc. It is a safety issue during night driving when I have to fumble for these buttons in darkness. HTC/Sprint probably has a disclaimer about this somewhere but still, a bug is a bug. They should do something about it. After all, my guess is that this is a simple coding fix on their part.

droidjock is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Thefoodman52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,312
 
Device(s): Galaxy, herp derp.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 104
Thanked 333 Times in 215 Posts
speedracer1991@gmail.com
Default

Yea, I've noticed it, but once you use the phone for about two weeks, the button location becomes second nature.

Just something to live with.
Thefoodman52 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just noticed it today. Weird behavior. I figured it was just me.
terry1769 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I just got off the phone with HTC and said they're going to look into the bug. Hopefully, we'll get a fix on the next OTA update. We'll see.
droidjock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): HTC Hero since a Week Before official release..Will Be Ditching for MY EVO in JUNE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MalloThaPrince Send a message via Yahoo to MalloThaPrince
Default

dang that's neat lol something new about my evo finally again..i never noticed this until you guess spoke up about this issue..but doesn't make me hate my evo one bit though
__________________
3...2...1...Sprint HTC Evo 4G Blast OFF!!
MalloThaPrince is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wherever im told to drive to.
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Well that's just it, we have no real major bugs left. Since our phones are now nearly perfect, there's nothing to complain about except little nitpicking inconviences.
Evoixmrftw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
AndroidSPCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,216
 
Device(s): Note 2, SG S2 & S3, Evo 3D & 4G, Epic 4G, Captivate. (Moment, LG Optimus S, Vibrant)
Carrier: verizon / sprint / at&t

Thanks: 488
Thanked 479 Times in 350 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjock View Post
...It's very annoying fumbling for these buttons in the dark while being charged at home. I use my Evo mounted in my car for the most part with full time charging (a must for the Evo) for navigation, music, etc. It is a safety issue during night driving when I have to fumble for these buttons in darkness. HTC/Sprint probably has a disclaimer about this somewhere but still, a bug is a bug. They should do something about it. After all, my guess is that this is a simple coding fix on their part.
LOL safety issues?

Being a bit melodramatic?

If it's a safety issue you shouldn't be messing with the phone at all when driving!
__________________
Big thanks to lunatic59 for my awesome Android avatars!!
cool Android phone sizing comparison page
Vital Android guide for permissions!
AndroidSPCS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 198
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjock View Post
It is a safety issue during night driving when I have to fumble for these buttons in darkness.
Seriously? The safety issue is not the unlit buttons. The safety issue is you.
mcl1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: OH--IO
Posts: 832
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 65
Thanked 57 Times in 44 Posts
Default

There is a tweak over on XDA to turn them on and off via an icon on the homescreen. Some guy got pissed with this and made it.


Here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=816128
Putty is offline  
Last edited by Putty; November 9th, 2010 at 09:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
chaotik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidSPCS View Post
LOL safety issues?

Being a bit melodramatic?

If it's a safety issue you shouldn't be messing with the phone at all when driving!
hahah i was just about to say that
chaotik is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidSPCS View Post
LOL safety issues?

Being a bit melodramatic?

If it's a safety issue you shouldn't be messing with the phone at all when driving!
What are you...like 16-years-old...you friggin teenage troll! Why do you have to expose your trollness here. If you can't say something constructive, go out to your parents backyard and play with your marbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl1981 View Post
Seriously? The safety issue is not the unlit buttons. The safety issue is you.
If you were gonna flex your troll muscles, at least make your fellow trolls be proud of you by not making corny elementary comments like you just did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotik View Post
hahah i was just about to say that
Poor little troll who cannot speak for himself and resorted to jumping on the troll bandwagon.
droidjock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
There is a tweak over on XDA to turn them on and off via an icon on the homescreen. Some guy got pissed with this and made it.


Here:

[Script-How to]Single Tap to Toggle On / Off the Button Leds - xda-developers
Thanks for the info, man.
droidjock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wherever im told to drive to.
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjock View Post
What are you...like 16-years-old...you friggin teenage troll! Why do you have to expose your trollness here. If you can't say something constructive, go out to your parents backyard and play with your marbles.



If you were gonna flex your troll muscles, at least make your fellow trolls be proud of you by not making corny elementary comments like you just did.



Poor little troll who cannot speak for himself and resorted to jumping on the troll bandwagon.
Is this guy serious? Yes I'm sure androidspcs with his 1200+ posts is a huge troll. Trolltastic. Trollicious. How about you mister 6 posts and already namecalling?
Evoixmrftw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Never mind.
droidjock is offline  
Last edited by droidjock; November 12th, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wherever im told to drive to.
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjock View Post
Oh, so that's what it is? Just because you have 1200 posts, you feel you are superior and invincible that you can just bully your way around this forum. Is this where your life revolves around - your 1200 juvenile posts? 1200 posts and still couldn't get it right? Why do make it your business how I use my device? I know why...you can't help it because that's your nature - a troll.

So why don't you create your post and troll to your heart's content over there instead of stinking up thread? Get out of my friggin thread and leave it alone.
So if anyone has an opinion different than yours they're automatically a troll? I'm sensing extreme hostility, do you have anger issues?
Evoixmrftw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoixmrftw View Post
Is this guy serious? Yes I'm sure androidspcs with his 1200+ posts is a huge troll. Trolltastic. Trollicious. How about you mister 6 posts and already namecalling?
Why is 1200+ post a measure of superiority? Please explain that kind of mentality to me.
droidjock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
chaotik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjock View Post
Poor little troll who cannot speak for himself and resorted to jumping on the troll bandwagon.
hahaha look at this kid
chaotik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wherever im told to drive to.
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjock View Post
Why is 1200+ post a measure of superiority? Please explain that kind of mentality to me.
Where do you get that I was making him out to be superior? He has 1300 posts so I'm assuming if he was a troll he'd be kicked out of the forums a long time ago. Whereas you come in here and your already namecalling members that don't agree with you...
Evoixmrftw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoixmrftw View Post
So if anyone has an opinion different than yours they're automatically a troll? I'm sensing extreme hostility, do you have anger issues?
A shrink you are not. You'll probably fare better as a tarrot card reader. Please don't patronize me.

Yeah, the good ol' "it's an opinion" cop out...and you are speaking for this dude because...
droidjock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoixmrftw View Post
Where do you get that I was making him out to be superior? He has 1300 posts so I'm assuming if he was a troll he'd be kicked out of the forums a long time ago. Whereas you come in here and your already namecalling members that don't agree with you...
...don't agree to what? Reread his posts and try comprehending it this time around.
droidjock is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
chaotik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjock View Post
A shrink you are not. You'll probably fare better as a tarrot card reader. Please don't patronize me.

Yeah, the good ol' "it's an opinion" cop out...and you are speaking for this dude because...
chaotik is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaotik For This Useful Post:
Evoixmrftw (November 12th, 2010)
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotik View Post
hahaha look at this kid
Why do always start your posts with "hahaha". It's kinda synonymous to "Duh". Can't you do better than that?
droidjock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wherever im told to drive to.
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjock View Post
A shrink you are not. You'll probably fare better as a tarrot card reader. Please don't patronize me.

Yeah, the good ol' "it's an opinion" cop out...and you are speaking for this dude because...
This is a public forum. People are gonna have different opinions than yours. You can't whine and cry and call everyone a troll every time it happens.

Oh, and as for protecting androidspcs, just felt ironic that a newbie was calling a senior member a troll with little reason for doing so.

Quote:
...don't agree to what? Reread his posts and try comprehending it this time around.
You say its a safety issue, he said it isn't. That's what we call a disagreement. Maybe YOU should comprehend what your reading.
Evoixmrftw is offline  
Last edited by Evoixmrftw; November 12th, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotik View Post
No, man. I'm just passionate about exposing mentally challenged individuals who pretend to be smart.
droidjock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wherever im told to drive to.
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Lmao beat me to the punch with that last post chaotik.
Evoixmrftw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wherever im told to drive to.
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjock View Post
No, man. I'm just passionate about exposing mentally challenged individuals who pretend to be smart.
So now your picking on mentally challenged individuals? I'm sure your gonna get along great here.
Evoixmrftw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
chaotik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoixmrftw View Post
Lmao beat me to the punch with that last post chaotik.
its like now this guy isn't even hiding the fact that he's a troll now hahaha. or should i say duh instead of laughing?
chaotik is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaotik For This Useful Post:
Evoixmrftw (November 12th, 2010)
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Alright guys. I initiated this thread because I really had a legitimate inquiry and expected constructive answers. Thanks again to Putty for providing that answer. And you all can't convince me that you're not gonna be downloading this useful script that Putty posted and enjoy it. You should thank me for that because you probably didn't know anything about this issue until now.

Therefore, I'm done here and you guys continue wallowing in your little world of trolls. I don't have time for that because I have a lot of things going for me in the real world and my Evo is just another tool for me that I hope I can use to its full potential and help me in going about my business. But for whatever it's worth, I always enjoy exposing trolls and pretenders. So long. It was fun.
droidjock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
New Member
 
chaotik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjock View Post
alright guys. I initiated this thread because i really had a legitimate inquiry and expected constructive answers. Thanks again to putty for providing that answer. And you all can't convince me that you're not gonna be downloading this useful script that putty posted and enjoy it. You should thank me for that because you probably didn't know anything about this issue until now.

Therefore, i'm done here and you guys continue wallowing in your little world of trolls. I don't have time for that because i have a lot of things going for me in the real world and my evo is just another tool for me that i hope i can use to its full potential and help me in going about my business. But for whatever it's worth, i always enjoy exposing trolls and pretenders. So long. It was fun.
hahahah the evo: a tool to expose trolls and pretenders.
chaotik is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaotik For This Useful Post:
Evoixmrftw (November 12th, 2010)
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wherever im told to drive to.
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjock View Post
Alright guys. I initiated this thread because I really had a legitimate inquiry and expected constructive answers. Thanks again to Putty for providing that answer. And you all can't convince me that you're not gonna be downloading this useful script that Putty posted and enjoy it. You should thank me for that because you probably didn't know anything about this issue until now.

Therefore, I'm done here and you guys continue wallowing in your little world of trolls. I don't have time for that because I have a lot of things going for me in the real world and my Evo is just another tool for me that I hope I can use to its full potential and help me in going about my business. But for whatever it's worth, I always enjoy exposing trolls and pretenders. So long. It was fun.
Sounds good. Any questions, feel free to ask!
Quote:
hahahah the evo: a tool to expose trolls and pretenders.
ZOMG don't laugh, that makes you a troll!
Evoixmrftw is offline  
Last edited by Evoixmrftw; November 12th, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:49 AM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
There is a tweak over on XDA to turn them on and off via an icon on the homescreen. Some guy got pissed with this and made it.


Here:

[Script-How to]Single Tap to Toggle On / Off the Button Leds - xda-developers

Anybody know if there is a solution that doesn't require the Evo to be rooted? Just like original post indicated, once fully charged and still on charger, button lights are off even when screen is lit. I know where the keys are, so not that big of a deal, but still nice to have.
judge_droid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:09 AM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My buttons are going off (unlit) randomly. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with charging or battery state or anything . Anything an unrooted user can do? Phone is brand new.

Thanks -- Barbara
brsnyder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Support and Troubleshooting
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.