Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Support and Troubleshooting

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 16th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 7
 
Device(s): Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Talking FIXED Sprint mms problem/APN settings

Ok, backstory: New Evo (sprint, obviously), had a friend try to send me a pic message but it would not download saying "generic network failure." Someone said it was probably becuase the sender was on a different carrier. Later I tried to send out a pic, but it didn't work either saying "generic network failure" and "message not downloaded." Tech support is, as always, useless so I had to find the fix myself. Below is the fix, not a work around, the real fix (for other carriers your MMSC address will be different).

Using "APN Backup & Restore," which is free on the market, you need to backup your APN file. Name it "APN-Broken.xml". Connect your phone to your computer as "disk drive" and using notepad correct the code to match what is shown below or just cut and paste.

FIXED Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="1">
<apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mms" />
</apns>

Save your changes as "APN-Fixed" and make SURE it is saved as a .xml. Using APN Baqckup & Restore again, restore your new APN. Perform a soft reboot and you are back in business.

Original Broken Code: In bold is what I think the problem is...
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="1">
<apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1apndroid" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mmsapndroid" />
</apns>

Packdog is offline  
Last edited by Packdog; April 16th, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Packdog For This Useful Post:
argedion (November 19th, 2011), Dgulli (June 21st, 2011), gm87 (April 24th, 2011), human100 (May 6th, 2012), slammed02chevy (July 27th, 2012), twofoo (March 8th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Odd...I wonder how it gets changed.

I am not on a sense based rom currently to verify but doesnt restoring the data profile reset the apn settings?
__________________
I'm back....
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 7
 
Device(s): Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

"reset the data profile?" I'm not sure I understand what you mean, I'm pretty new to the android platform... are you talking about a factory reset?
Packdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
E30Nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: California
Posts: 69
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to E30Nova
Default

Dang...I was hoping this would fix my MMS issue in MIUI so I did everything and my MMS still doesn't work.
__________________
Matt
E30Nova is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packdog View Post
"reset the data profile?" I'm not sure I understand what you mean, I'm pretty new to the android platform... are you talking about a factory reset?
It is in menu.settings.updates

Or can be forced by following the directions I posted for faster 3g
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): HTC Supersonic: EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks OP! I'm trying this out now and will post with any questions. Have been frustrated for sometime about this!!

Fingers crossed .
gm87 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Awesome!

I have had a similar problem for months. After completing your fix all of the messages that were not able to download before downloaded. Thank you!
Dgulli is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packdog View Post
Ok, backstory: New Evo (sprint, obviously), had a friend try to send me a pic message but it would not download saying "generic network failure." Someone said it was probably becuase the sender was on a different carrier. Later I tried to send out a pic, but it didn't work either saying "generic network failure" and "message not downloaded." Tech support is, as always, useless so I had to find the fix myself. Below is the fix, not a work around, the real fix (for other carriers your MMSC address will be different).

Using "APN Backup & Restore," which is free on the market, you need to backup your APN file. Name it "APN-Broken.xml". Connect your phone to your computer as "disk drive" and using notepad correct the code to match what is shown below or just cut and paste.

FIXED Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="1">
<apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mms" />
</apns>

Save your changes as "APN-Fixed" and make SURE it is saved as a .xml. Using APN Baqckup & Restore again, restore your new APN. Perform a soft reboot and you are back in business.

Original Broken Code: In bold is what I think the problem is...
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="1">
<apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1apndroid" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mmsapndroid" />
</apns>
Having this problem since an text/tower outage in my area 4 days ago.
My default apn settings are a little different

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="1">
<apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mms" />
</apns>

I am setting my mmsproxy and port to null and doing a retry
--
p.s. Why are so many having this problem? I am chapped!!!
I did a factory reset prior to my soon to be attempted 2nd fix.
The factory reset did NOTHING!!!!
dublinx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

my apn is even stranger than this... i have 3 listings..

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns count="3">
<apn name="Sprint" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mms" />
<apn name="Sprint World" numeric="3161" mcc="316" mnc="1" apn="cinet.spcs" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="null" type="default" />
<apn name="Sprint" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mms" />
</apns>

needless to say, im not sure what to do here.
bscabl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My settings were:
apn="-1"
type="-mms"

I changed to "1" & "mms" and it fixed the issue,

Thanks for the great post!
skydiverscott is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 24th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverscott View Post
My settings were:
apn="-1"
type="-mms"

I changed to "1" & "mms" and it fixed the issue,

Thanks for the great post!
skydiverscott and anyone out there: I am newbie to Evo and smart phone, are you following the step by step by packdog by way of hooked your cell phone to your computer? DO you know a way without using the computer? Thanks for the help.
Malibu108 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 68
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

none of the fixes work for me. I even look at HTC EVO 4G not Sending/Receiving MMS Messages End of Line. but that didnt work either. I have everything correct but get a GENERAL NETWORK FAILURE sending or receiving MMS.. any ideas??
djqwikcut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default APN Conf

I m having HTC Evo 4G (Relance network, India). Can you help me to do these settings on my phone, because there is no option like APN.

Settings --> Wireless and Networks --> Mobile Networks
Under CDMA TAB select Access Point Names
Go To Menu --> New APN
Fill up the following details
Name : Reliance Netconnect
PPP Digit : #777
User name : <10 Digit Mobile Number>
Password : <10 Digit Mobile Number>
Go To Menu --> Save
Select the newly created APN
schoudha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
apn, generic network failure, message not downloaded, mms


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Support and Troubleshooting
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.