Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Support and Troubleshooting

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
LBPHeretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,368
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero (OEM Android 2.1) [Rooted] B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 507 Times in 407 Posts
Question Battery Level Drops After Going Off The Charger.

My wife has a Sprint HTC EVO 4G that is currently stock and unrooted on Android 2.3 with HTC Sense. Lately, she has been having this issue where, once in a while, she will take the handset off the charger after it had been charging overnight and as soon as she does that the battery level drops below half full.

Now, if this were my handset I would probably think about recalibrating the battery statistics, but since this is a stock unrooted handset, does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this and a possible solution? It does not happen every time she pulls it off the charger, but it happens enough to annoy her, especially if she needs a full charge when she is on her way to work.

Advertisements
__________________
Nokia 638 > Motorola Talkabout > Motorola V60t > Motorola V60i > Motorola V505 > Samsung Epix > HTC Hero & Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Tweet with me about Android on Twitter. (Please follow to see my tweets.)
LBPHeretic is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
The TechnoFrog
 
argedion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Severed Garden
Posts: 5,790
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 (2012)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5,973
Thanked 5,555 Times in 2,560 Posts
Default

Is the phone on or off during charge process.

BTW I am thinking recalibrate to. How old is the battery?
__________________
All My Links In one Convenient Place
Asking simple questions can keep us from doing dumb things.
argedion is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
LBPHeretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,368
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero (OEM Android 2.1) [Rooted] B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 507 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by argedion View Post
Is the phone on or off during charge process.

BTW I am thinking recalibrate to. How old is the battery?
She charges her Sprint HTC EVO 4G while it is on. Her handset and its battery is about five months old now as she got it in mid July.

I would recalibrate it, but it is not rooted. If that ends up being the only way, I may just have to root it and wipe the battery statistics, but I was sort of hoping for a non root solution.
LBPHeretic is offline  
Last edited by LBPHeretic; December 19th, 2011 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
The TechnoFrog
 
argedion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Severed Garden
Posts: 5,790
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 (2012)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5,973
Thanked 5,555 Times in 2,560 Posts
Default

Amazon has 2 1800 ma batteries with chargers for like 12 dollars. There is a thread in the all root section called sharing the battery love. It was initiated by Granite I would link but I'm on phone and cant
argedion is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to argedion For This Useful Post:
andygu3 (December 23rd, 2011), Granite1 (December 23rd, 2011)
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
The TechnoFrog
 
argedion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Severed Garden
Posts: 5,790
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 (2012)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5,973
Thanked 5,555 Times in 2,560 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBPHeretic View Post
She charges her Sprint HTC EVO 4G while it is on. Her handset and its battery is about five months old now as she got it in mid July.

I would recalibrate it, but it is not rooted. If that ends up being the only way, I may just have to root it and wipe the battery statistics, but I was sort of hoping for a non root solution.

I hear ya. I charge mine on and mostly through computer.
argedion is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
 
Granite1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,075
 
Device(s): M8, Note2(Wife) EL TEvo(retired :()
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 12,372
Thanked 6,978 Times in 3,720 Posts
Default

Sounds like once it charges to full, it stops trickling mA completely. Usually it will do this until the charge goes down in the low 90's then kick back on. This is the reason Evo's get the dreaded 10% drop really fast after its disconnected from the charger. Problem is it seems like your evo is completely dropping the charge.
I wonder if any of the calibration apps on the market work without root? I never use em, I do it the old school way Andy taught me on the Hero.
I'll try to do a Google search tonight when I get home from work and see what pops up. And if I forget, just give a nice bump to remind me.
__________________
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein
Granite1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Granite1 For This Useful Post:
andygu3 (December 23rd, 2011), LBPHeretic (December 19th, 2011)
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
LBPHeretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,368
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero (OEM Android 2.1) [Rooted] B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 507 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite1 View Post
Sounds like once it charges to full, it stops trickling mA completely. Usually it will do this until the charge goes down in the low 90's then kick back on. This is the reason Evo's get the dreaded 10% drop really fast after its disconnected from the charger. Problem is it seems like your evo is completely dropping the charge.
I wonder if any of the calibration apps on the market work without root? I never use em, I do it the old school way Andy taught me on the Hero.
I'll try to do a Google search tonight when I get home from work and see what pops up. And if I forget, just give a nice bump to remind me.
Thanks, Granite1. I follow the same method andygu3 does for calibrating batteries, but a non root solution would be cool.

It is funny that the Sprint HTC EVO 4G stops trickle charging below 99%. My Sprint HTC Hero would never instantly drop below anything lower than 99% after taking it off the charger. Could you recommend a battery calibration app or two? I appreciate your help on this, since my wife is starting to get peeved about it.
LBPHeretic is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LBPHeretic For This Useful Post:
andygu3 (December 23rd, 2011)
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,888
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 273 Times in 221 Posts
Default

The only non rooted way is by factory default I hear. This is confidently, the main reason I rooted.

EDIT:

LOL...looks like Swype thought coincidently was confidently in my sentence above
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Last edited by Palmetto Fellow; December 20th, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
The TechnoFrog
 
argedion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Severed Garden
Posts: 5,790
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 (2012)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5,973
Thanked 5,555 Times in 2,560 Posts
Default

what state is the battery in when she charges it? is it like 10% or less or over 10%? I know if I don't wait for it to go down to the 10% mark I'll sometimes see a fast drop. not sure if this is what she has going on or not. I also let it completely drain down and power off about once a week plug it in and leave it off over night.
argedion is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
LBPHeretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,368
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero (OEM Android 2.1) [Rooted] B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 507 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by argedion View Post
what state is the battery in when she charges it? is it like 10% or less or over 10%? I know if I don't wait for it to go down to the 10% mark I'll sometimes see a fast drop. not sure if this is what she has going on or not. I also let it completely drain down and power off about once a week plug it in and leave it off over night.
I am not completely sure how low it is when she starts charging her handset. I would surmise that anywhere from 10% to 30% is when she plugs it in.

I do the same thing with letting it completely drain to zero on my devices. However, I do that about once a month or every other month.
LBPHeretic is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LBPHeretic For This Useful Post:
andygu3 (December 23rd, 2011)
sponsored links
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
The TechnoFrog
 
argedion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Severed Garden
Posts: 5,790
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 (2012)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5,973
Thanked 5,555 Times in 2,560 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBPHeretic View Post
I am not completely sure how low it is when she starts charging her handset. I would surmise that anywhere from 10% to 30% is when she plugs it in.

I do the same thing with letting it completely drain to zero on my devices. However, I do that about once a month or every other month.
yeah if i do it every week i'm lucky. here is that link i had mentioned earlier if interested

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=androidforums-20&creative=9325&path=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WPCS18

its a good deal. and if atleast one dies she has the other ( i would assume you give her one and you keep one then both have two)
argedion is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
LBPHeretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,368
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero (OEM Android 2.1) [Rooted] B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 507 Times in 407 Posts
Default

What is weird is that the issue does not consistently occur. She will charge it up and most of the time she gets a normal battery reading after taking her handset off the charger.

When it is normal, she gets great battery life. Even, when the charge is down, it lasts all day which is what led me to believe it was just not reading the proper battery charge even when it was full.
LBPHeretic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andygu3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lewis Center, OH
Posts: 4,692
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy Note 2, Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,755
Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,273 Posts
Default

LB, I would just root the thing, you have way too much knowledge on rooted phones for you not to root it You understand the risks and benefits from having a rooted phone, I would root it

But like you said, charging to full and then allowing the phone to drain completely to 0% then recharging back to 100% may be the only way to recalibrate the battery without it being rooted.
andygu3 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andygu3 For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (December 23rd, 2011), ocnbrze (December 24th, 2011)
Old December 23rd, 2011, 06:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
 
Granite1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,075
 
Device(s): M8, Note2(Wife) EL TEvo(retired :()
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 12,372
Thanked 6,978 Times in 3,720 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygu3 View Post
LB, I would just root the thing, you have way too much knowledge on rooted phones for you not to root it You understand the risks and benefits from having a rooted phone, I would root it

But like you said, charging to full and then allowing the phone to drain completely to 0% then recharging back to 100% may be the only way to recalibrate the battery without it being rooted.
I agree with you here Andy. I don't think there is any other way to get a good calibration without root, or a factory reset and complete discharge and recharge.

LB, you could root it and just not tell her. I did that to the wife's (MINE ) Hero and she really doesn't care. As long as she likes the ROM I put on it.
Granite1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Granite1 For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (December 24th, 2011)
Old December 25th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 40
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Fellow View Post
The only non rooted way is by factory default I hear. This is confidently, the main reason I rooted.

EDIT:

LOL...looks like Swype thought coincidently was confidently in my sentence above
agreed. of all the reasons i rooted my phone, recalibrating the battery has actually turned out to be the best by far. who knew? it's like a trip to a chiropractor!

resetting bat in recovery mode is nice, but i really like the batterycalibration app too
Displacedmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
LBPHeretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,368
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero (OEM Android 2.1) [Rooted] B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 507 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygu3 View Post
LB, I would just root the thing, you have way too much knowledge on rooted phones for you not to root it You understand the risks and benefits from having a rooted phone, I would root it

But like you said, charging to full and then allowing the phone to drain completely to 0% then recharging back to 100% may be the only way to recalibrate the battery without it being rooted.
Thanks for the kind words, andygu3. I gained a lot of that knowledge from you and the myriads of other knowledgeable folks on Android Forums.

I completely agree with regards to rooting it. It is my wife's handset, but she is open to me rooting it and such. I was really just looking for a quick fix since the holiday season leaves me so busy. Now that I have some time off, a rooting I will go.
LBPHeretic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
LBPHeretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 2,368
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC Hero (OEM Android 2.1) [Rooted] B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 507 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite1 View Post
I agree with you here Andy. I don't think there is any other way to get a good calibration without root, or a factory reset and complete discharge and recharge.

LB, you could root it and just not tell her. I did that to the wife's (MINE ) Hero and she really doesn't care. As long as she likes the ROM I put on it.
Haha. Luckily, she does not mind me rooting it.

It was more about me finding time to do it for her. The holidays have given me so time, so I will get on it.
LBPHeretic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
battery level, charger, discharging rapidly, half, statistics, unrooted


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Support and Troubleshooting
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.