Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Support and Troubleshooting

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 7th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Something Strange (To Me)

I got a chance to go out target shooting this morning. The location was well out of my coverage area.

Being new to smartphones I made it a point to check my EVO 4G just for the heck of it to see if I was getting any reception out in the boonies.

As some of you more experienced android users might have guessed, my phone showed no lit-up "Bars," just an X over the top of a bunch of grayed out "Bars."

If I'm not mistaken, this is telling me that I'm getting no service coverage at the location I was in.

On my way back into town, I expected the "Bars" on my phone's home-screen to light up again as soon as I reached the outskirts of the city limits. The coverage maps indicate that coverage extends far beyond the city limits.

My smart phone didn't re-activate until I got to the specific zip code area that I originally listed when I signed up with this provider.

Is this the smartphone status-quo? I'd hate to think that I'll have to drive all the way home from an out of the way location just to get my phone to work again.

Have any of you ever encountered such a thing with your androids? If this is not normal, what can be done to remedy this situation? (other than changing providers)

HollowPoint

hollowpoint is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 7th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,554
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,990 Times in 8,951 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
I got a chance to go out target shooting this morning. The location was well out of my coverage area.

Being new to smartphones I made it a point to check my EVO 4G just for the heck of it to see if I was getting any reception out in the boonies.

As some of you more experienced android users might have guessed, my phone showed no lit-up "Bars," just an X over the top of a bunch of grayed out "Bars."

If I'm not mistaken, this is telling me that I'm getting no service coverage at the location I was in.

On my way back into town, I expected the "Bars" on my phone's home-screen to light up again as soon as I reached the outskirts of the city limits. The coverage maps indicate that coverage extends far beyond the city limits.

My smart phone didn't re-activate until I got to the specific zip code area that I originally listed when I signed up with this provider.

Is this the smartphone status-quo? I'd hate to think that I'll have to drive all the way home from an out of the way location just to get my phone to work again.

Have any of you ever encountered such a thing with your androids? If this is not normal, what can be done to remedy this situation? (other than changing providers)

HollowPoint
is your phone up to date? meaning are you on the latest ota? have you tried updating your prl and profile?
__________________
“The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.”.......Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe
“I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be.”.......Douglas Adams
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ocnbrze For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (October 7th, 2012), tube517 (October 7th, 2012)
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

"is your phone up to date? meaning are you on the latest ota? have you tried updating your prl and profile?"

This is a brand new phone. I don't have a clue what most of the acronyms mean that you're using but, to the best of my knowledge everything is the "Latest." Being a newbie to android smart-phones I could be wrong though.

All I'm really sure of is that it is a version 4.0.3; whatever that means.

What exactly is "OTA, PRL or Profile" and how would that affect my phone in the manner I described?

Thanks for your help.

HollowPoint
hollowpoint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
tube517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GTab 3 7.0,Samsung GNote2 (i317),EVO 4G, Toshiba Thrive, Galaxy Note LTE,EVO Shift
Carrier: T-Mobile,Google Voice

Thanks: 1,823
Thanked 833 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
"is your phone up to date? meaning are you on the latest ota? have you tried updating your prl and profile?"

This is a brand new phone. I don't have a clue what most of the acronyms mean that you're using but, to the best of my knowledge everything is the "Latest." Being a newbie to android smart-phones I could be wrong though.

All I'm really sure of is that it is a version 4.0.3; whatever that means.

What exactly is "OTA, PRL or Profile" and how would that affect my phone in the manner I described?

Thanks for your help.

HollowPoint
Do you have the new EVO 4g LTE or the original EVO 4G that came out in 2010. If you have the new EVO, you are in the wrong section of the forum. The old EVO cannot have version 4.0.3 without rooting (hacking) the phone. This section is for the old EVO 4G.
__________________
Samsung Tab 3 (7 in) • Deletrious ROM V1.6 /TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean ROM 4.1.2/Samsung Galaxy Note2 • Temasek v37 kitkat (4.4.2)/HTC EVO 4G • Decks Reloaded ROM/EVO Shift• JellyBelly ROM/Samsung Galaxy Note I (i717)•CM11 (4.4.2 kitkat) /Samsung Galaxy S3 •DanKang 4.3.1 ROM
tube517 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tube517 For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (October 7th, 2012), ocnbrze (October 7th, 2012), Rxpert83 (October 7th, 2012)
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,109
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 13,634
Thanked 11,788 Times in 6,789 Posts
Default

Sounds like you just need to do a prl and profile update.

Prl update will update your phones list of towers to search for. This is especially important now that sprint is undergoing all these network changes. The profile update just refreshes your connection to the network

Its good to do both of them occasionally.

Settings>update> prl and profile update
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (October 7th, 2012), ocnbrze (October 7th, 2012), tube517 (October 7th, 2012)
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
Sounds like you just need to do a prl and profile update.

Prl update will update your phones list of towers to search for. This is especially important now that sprint is undergoing all these network changes. The profile update just refreshes your connection to the network

Its good to do both of them occasionally.

Settings>update> prl and profile update

Thanks Rxpert83:

I took the liberty of doing a little research on PRL's and Profiles yesterday after posting my previous reply. I see now why such updates were recommended. It sounds like something I'll have to stay on top of from now on.

Next time I'm out in the boonies I'll make it a point to check my phone just to see what, if any changes these updates have given me.

In response to what kind of Evo G4 I have; I really don't know if it's an older Evo G4 or a newer Evo G4. I only know that it's brand new to me. I can go to the Settings/About this phone/software, and it tells me that the software is version 4.0.3.

I don't know exactly what that means but, if we use the "Old Evo G4" or "New Evo G4" criteria mentioned by the previous poster, that would seem to idicate that this is a newer Evo G4; wouldn't it?

There was also another reply stating that I had placed my inquiry in the wrong section; or something to that effect.

I actually placed this thread in the general HTC EVO G4 section originally. It was then moved to this section by someone other than myself. I just assumed it was one of the moderators helping me out by moving it here. And as it turns out, it really was a helpful move because I've gotten some useful advice here.

Many thanks to all who took the time to reply to my inquiry.

HollowPoint
hollowpoint is offline  
Last edited by hollowpoint; October 8th, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hollowpoint For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (October 8th, 2012)
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black ±
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,858
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,162
Thanked 12,616 Times in 7,769 Posts
Default

See this post for pix to help differentiate the 2 phones.
Help hopefully......
__________________




Click "Show" for my signature
Android Forums FAQ's
List of Staff
Mikestony is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikestony For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (October 8th, 2012), tube517 (October 8th, 2012)
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
tube517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GTab 3 7.0,Samsung GNote2 (i317),EVO 4G, Toshiba Thrive, Galaxy Note LTE,EVO Shift
Carrier: T-Mobile,Google Voice

Thanks: 1,823
Thanked 833 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
Thanks Rxpert83:

I took the liberty of doing a little research on PRL's and Profiles yesterday after posting my previous reply. I see now why such updates were recommended. It sounds like something I'll have to stay on top of from now on.

Next time I'm out in the boonies I'll make it a point to check my phone just to see what, if any changes these updates have given me.

In response to what kind of Evo G4 I have; I really don't know if it's an older Evo G4 or a newer Evo G4. I only know that it's brand new to me. I can go to the Settings/About this phone/software, and it tells me that the software is version 4.0.3.

I don't know exactly what that means but, if we use the "Old Evo G4" or "New Evo G4" criteria mentioned by the previous poster, that would seem to idicate that this is a newer Evo G4; wouldn't it?

There was also another reply stating that I had placed my inquiry in the wrong section; or something to that effect.

I actually placed this thread in the general HTC EVO G4 section originally. It was then moved to this section by someone other than myself. I just assumed it was one of the moderators helping me out by moving it here. And as it turns out, it really was a helpful move because I've gotten some useful advice here.

Many thanks to all who took the time to reply to my inquiry.

HollowPoint
I mentioned to clarify which phone because we want to give you accurate information. Both phones are very similar but when it comes to troubleshooting, they are not the exact same phone. I am glad the info given by Rxpert was helpful. He owns/owned both the "old" and "new" EVO so he can give very valuable information.

Good luck and enjoy the phone!
tube517 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tube517 For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (October 8th, 2012), ocnbrze (October 8th, 2012)
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I checked out the link that Mikestony posted. It turns out that my new smart phone is neither one of these models.

Although it's labeled as an HTC Evo 4G, mine has twin camera lenses on the back and no "Kick-Stand."

It's said to be able to take 3D photos and video. I haven't tried either yet.

UPDATE: I just checked the box it came in. Looks like it's an HTC Evo V 4G. I need to pay more attention to stuff I buy.

HollowPoint
hollowpoint is offline  
Last edited by hollowpoint; October 8th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black ±
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,858
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,162
Thanked 12,616 Times in 7,769 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
I checked out the link that Mikestony posted. It turns out that my new smart phone is neither one of these models.

Although it's labeled as an HTC Evo 4G, mine has twin camera lenses on the back and no "Kick-Stand."

It's said to be able to take 3D photos and video. I haven't tried either yet.

UPDATE: I just checked the box it came in. Looks like it's an HTC Evo V 4G. I need to pay more attention to stuff I buy.

HollowPoint
Just as long as it's not an Iphoney!! ha ha
Mikestony is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikestony For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (October 8th, 2012), tube517 (October 8th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
tube517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GTab 3 7.0,Samsung GNote2 (i317),EVO 4G, Toshiba Thrive, Galaxy Note LTE,EVO Shift
Carrier: T-Mobile,Google Voice

Thanks: 1,823
Thanked 833 Times in 546 Posts
Default

It's a good phone. Virgin Mobile finally got some decent android phones. With Android 4.0.3/Ice Cream Sandwich, you'll enjoy that one.

Since you said you were out in the "boonies", I hope the PRL and Profile updates will help. Virgin uses Sprint's network.
tube517 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

For someone like me who's grown up using Dumb-Phones rather than Smart-Phones these android phones have what I consider to be a steep "Learning Curve" if you're just starting out with one of these.

I'm what many here would consider to be an Old-Guy. Just to give you an idea who you're helping out here, I was in the sixth grade the very first time I spoke on a phone of any kind.

The frustrating thing about them is, after you get the answers you're looking for you realize just how simple it was to correct what needed correcting.

I think that making the user feel stupid for not being able to figure out the answers is engineered into these "Smart-Phones." It makes the phones appear smarter than the user. Hence the term, "Smart-Phone."

I was kind of thrown for a loop when I realized that there was very little in the way of useful instructions on how to use this Smart-Phone as a telephone. Most of what I read in the instruction booklet had to do with social media and the internet. (techy stuff)

On a positive note; I'm not quite as ignorant today as I was yesterday.

HollowPoint
hollowpoint is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hollowpoint For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (October 8th, 2012), ocnbrze (October 8th, 2012), Rxpert83 (October 8th, 2012), tube517 (October 8th, 2012)
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,109
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 13,634
Thanked 11,788 Times in 6,789 Posts
Default

Yes, the phone you have is officially called the EVO V 4G. It's basically the same as the EVO 3D that sprint sold. The naming system does get confusing.

Glad we could help you. Prl and profile updates are usually the first thing the person on the phone will have you do if you call in and complain. It's a good first place to start for any network issues.
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Support and Troubleshooting
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.