Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Support and Troubleshooting

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 22nd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ziplip Unrooted hard-bricked EVO 4G?

I believe my Evo 4G has become hard-bricked. It will not turn on when plugged into computer or wall, I have tried several batteries, no lights flash, it does not vibrate, I have tried plugging into computer and putting battery in while hold vol up and down buttons, and have tried the power button+vol down button. I had lost the phone for a few weeks and found it in a sweatshirt pocket of mine that I did not wear often and once I found it, it would not do anything. I have never rooted my phone or anything like that, just used it to text and play games. I have read that the only way to truly hard-brick your evo 4g is to pull the batter out while flashing the radio or something like that and I'm not even sure what that means. Any help or suggestions are appreciated! thank you!

Garrettdini is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 22nd, 2012, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,925
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,190
Thanked 12,661 Times in 7,797 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettdini View Post
I believe my Evo 4G has become hard-bricked. It will not turn on when plugged into computer or wall, I have tried several batteries, no lights flash, it does not vibrate, I have tried plugging into computer and putting battery in while hold vol up and down buttons, and have tried the power button+vol down button. I had lost the phone for a few weeks and found it in a sweatshirt pocket of mine that I did not wear often and once I found it, it would not do anything. I have never rooted my phone or anything like that, just used it to text and play games. I have read that the only way to truly hard-brick your evo 4g is to pull the batter out while flashing the radio or something like that and I'm not even sure what that means. Any help or suggestions are appreciated! thank you!
Welcome to AF!!!!
I have heard of people having issues when their battery goes dead.
You can try 3 different things:
1. I know is sounds strange but, take out battery and put it in freezer for up to an hour...take it out and put back into phone and charge it.

2. Go here and try this:
HTC EVO 4G Unbrick Guide: Hard-Brick Only (won't turn on or charge).

3. Try a new battery
__________________




Click "Show" for my signature
Android Forums FAQ's
List of Staff
Mikestony is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikestony For This Useful Post:
Garrettdini (October 23rd, 2012), ocnbrze (October 22nd, 2012)
Old October 22nd, 2012, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I have tried step 2 already, I will go try step 1 though. And if neither of those work, and a new battery doesn't work, should I just sell the phone for parts?
Garrettdini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,925
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,190
Thanked 12,661 Times in 7,797 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettdini View Post
I have tried step 2 already, I will go try step 1 though. And if neither of those work, and a new battery doesn't work, should I just sell the phone for parts?
I would think for sure a new battery will fix ya!

If not, check the contacts of the battery and the contacts in the phone where the battery makes contact...perhaps clean with a pencil eraser
Mikestony is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikestony For This Useful Post:
Garrettdini (October 23rd, 2012), ocnbrze (October 22nd, 2012)
Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

is there any way to tell if water damage could be the cause? and my battery worked fine before I lost it, what could have caused it to suddenly stop working? And thank you again for all the help!
Garrettdini is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garrettdini For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (October 22nd, 2012)
Old October 22nd, 2012, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,925
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,190
Thanked 12,661 Times in 7,797 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettdini View Post
is there any way to tell if water damage could be the cause? and my battery worked fine before I lost it, what could have caused it to suddenly stop working? And thank you again for all the help!
There is some sort of indicator in the phone if exposed to water, changes.
Don't know where it is but might be in the guts of the phone.
Looking at my o.e. battery, there is a little red/white checkerboard sticker on it....I put water on it but it didn't change...(thought that was an indicator)

fwiw, I have heard of peoples battery going dead and hard to charge.
Sometimes Sprint can "jump start" it with a device they have at some stores.
How old is the battery?
Mikestony is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikestony For This Useful Post:
Garrettdini (October 23rd, 2012), ocnbrze (October 23rd, 2012)
Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

It's a fairly old battery, but I figured I'd try to fix it myself before taking it to Sprint. I'm gonna try to get a ride to the Sprint store today and get it checked out and see what they say about it. I'll keep you posted!
Garrettdini is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garrettdini For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (October 23rd, 2012), ocnbrze (October 23rd, 2012)
Reply
Tags
brick, evo, hard brick, non rooted, unroot, unrooted


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Support and Troubleshooting
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.