Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Tips and Tricks

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 5th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
felixor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Switching Between Cameras

I've searched, read the stickers, browsed a bit, and still can't find an answer.

Is there a way to quickly switch from the main camera to the front-facing one? I'm getting tired of having to do it the long way by going into the settings. If there isn't a short way to do it on the original camera app, is there a 3rd party app that can do it?

felixor is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
dr g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 589
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 97
Thanked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Why?
dr g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,867
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 633 Times in 538 Posts
Default

Quote:
I'm getting tired of having to do it the long way by going into the settings.
It's 2 clicks.... Settings, then hit switch camera. Is saving ONE CLICK that big of a deal?
sitlet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 51
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Yes it is a big deal. It should be one button readily available. Hate to mention it, but the icrap4 has the one button thing... its nice.

Just checked, its 3 clicks. Menu button or swype for options. Settings tab, then switch camera.
rican408 is offline  
Last edited by rican408; July 6th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
dr g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 589
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 97
Thanked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rican408 View Post
Yes it is a big deal. It should be one button readily available.
Why? There is no photographic reason for such easy access to switching cameras. There might be a reason for it *remembering* which camera you picked last, but other than that, there is no reason whatsoever to have one touch access to switching the camera. I would NOT sacrifice screen space/icon space for this.

This is a typical apple gimmick. Ooh, look it has two cameras, and look how easy it is to switch between them. Uh, why would you need do that? Hurr durrr...
dr g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Brent Pierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lubbock, Tx
Posts: 197
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 71 Times in 24 Posts
brentpierce0@gmail.com
Default

I would like it to be one click, as well. I understand everyone's ridicule about complaining about 2 extra clicks. But isn't that we got a freakin' awesome phone?
We can search Google in one click, see our Twitter feed in one click, turn wifi/4G/bluetooth/GPS on or off with one click, publish to our Facebook with one click. This phone is the derivative of convenient.

There's always room to complain about something. There's less room to complain about someone complaining about something. I guess I'm complaining about people complaining about someone complaining about something that I am also complaining about too.

"Good day."

I said "Good day!"
__________________
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Cineblur
Brent Pierce is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
dr g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 589
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 97
Thanked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Sorry but this does not rise to the level of those things. There are some things that are not on the top level of control, and rightfully so.
dr g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Not only should it be easier to switch between front and rear cameras(like the iPhone), having a dedicated shutter button on the side of the phone would make it so much easier to use.

Other than that, i love my Evo.
skipbrown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Around Seattle- ish
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): Evo!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to plumeria
Default

I just got my Evo today and didnt even know about this feature until i read this thread. How neat! Oh how I love discovering new things. Can't wait to find out more
plumeria is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
It's 2 clicks.... Settings, then hit switch camera. Is saving ONE CLICK that big of a deal?

Agreed. Who cares it takes 2 seconds. Dedicated shutter button however would be much more beneficial.
someguy45 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Munnarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 229
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 26
Thanked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Make it yourself I say lol.
Munnarg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 86
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munnarg View Post
Make it yourself I say lol.
Oh the benefits of open source!
gx1400 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 69
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I fully agree with the OP. I would love to see a small button on the main screen that switches between cameras. Sometimes when you want to take a picture, a few extra seconds can make all the difference. I would also like to see a small button to switch between still/video. There's no reason for that one to be buried in the settings either. Yes, you can just open the camcorder app instead but you shouldn't need two different apps to do the same thing.
Minjin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
dr g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 589
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 97
Thanked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minjin View Post
I fully agree with the OP. I would love to see a small button on the main screen that switches between cameras. Sometimes when you want to take a picture, a few extra seconds can make all the difference.
Really think about this. When would a few extra seconds make a difference in a photo you would take with the front-facing cam? These will be more or less exclusively self-portraits, and these are *always* staged. It probably sounded good when you said it, like a lot of i-garbage, but when you actually put it into practice, it's a bunch of i-nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minjin View Post
I would also like to see a small button to switch between still/video. There's no reason for that one to be buried in the settings either. Yes, you can just open the camcorder app instead but you shouldn't need two different apps to do the same thing.
They aren't two different apps, just two different shortcuts on your homescreen. So if you think about it, it's -1 click from your camera interface. That said, this would be a better use of a screen button than switching cameras.
dr g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 69
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr g View Post
Really think about this. When would a few extra seconds make a difference in a photo you would take with the front-facing cam? These will be more or less exclusively self-portraits, and these are *always* staged. It probably sounded good when you said it, like a lot of i-garbage, but when you actually put it into practice, it's a bunch of i-nothing.
Not everyone has the same needs and desires as you. I don't know how many times I need to repeat that in a forum before people understand it. I think it's around 6 where we first learn empathy and realize that the creatures around us are beings with their own thoughts just like us. Did you forget that lesson?

I'm not saying that these things would help me just because they are done that way on an iPhone. I'm saying that these things would help because they would help and because they make sense. How about if it would take a couple extra clicks to close your browser window? You don't do that too often. Would it really matter if it took an extra few seconds out of your day? It should only take one click because there's no reason for it to take more than one. The same concept applies here. It is a feature that is more commonly accessed than the others (for me) so there's no reason it should be a hassle. What is so difficult to understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr g View Post
They aren't two different apps, just two different shortcuts on your homescreen. So if you think about it, it's -1 click from your camera interface. That said, this would be a better use of a screen button than switching cameras.
Again, why should I have to waste home screen space for both of these icons when one should do and I should be able to easily switch between the two modes?

You want another example? I want to turn my phone off. I must first wake up the screen by pressing the power button. Then move my thumb to activated the lock screen. Then looonnnggg press on the power button. Then choose the power off option. Then confirm. I don't do it often but it takes an absurd amount of steps, more than I have seen on any other phone, and it simply isn't necessary. Put a power off slider right in the lock screen. Or make it so that a long press from lock turns off the phone without a bunch of confirmations. If you really think that it will be pressed in your pocket (very unlikely), give it one one screen confirmation at the bottom or top of the screen. Then I'll at least be able to do it while it is still in my pocket without looking at it.

I guess good UI design isn't as obvious as I thought.
Minjin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Munnarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 229
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 26
Thanked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minjin View Post
Not everyone has the same needs and desires as you. I don't know how many times I need to repeat that in a forum before people understand it. I think it's around 6 where we first learn empathy and realize that the creatures around us are beings with their own thoughts just like us. Did you forget that lesson?

I'm not saying that these things would help me just because they are done that way on an iPhone. I'm saying that these things would help because they would help and because they make sense. How about if it would take a couple extra clicks to close your browser window? You don't do that too often. Would it really matter if it took an extra few seconds out of your day? It should only take one click because there's no reason for it to take more than one. The same concept applies here. It is a feature that is more commonly accessed than the others (for me) so there's no reason it should be a hassle. What is so difficult to understand?


Again, why should I have to waste home screen space for both of these icons when one should do and I should be able to easily switch between the two modes?

You want another example? I want to turn my phone off. I must first wake up the screen by pressing the power button. Then move my thumb to activated the lock screen. Then looonnnggg press on the power button. Then choose the power off option. Then confirm. I don't do it often but it takes an absurd amount of steps, more than I have seen on any other phone, and it simply isn't necessary. Put a power off slider right in the lock screen. Or make it so that a long press from lock turns off the phone without a bunch of confirmations. If you really think that it will be pressed in your pocket (very unlikely), give it one one screen confirmation at the bottom or top of the screen. Then I'll at least be able to do it while it is still in my pocket without looking at it.

I guess good UI design isn't as obvious as I thought.
Send HTC an email if you feel so strongly about it.
Munnarg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 166
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 70
Thanked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Wow you guys are really going at it. lol. I am in the majority here, and i don't see it as a big deal. Looking at the op i offer the solution of the Mirror for Evo app in the market. It goes straight to the FFC. Then i read complaints about taking up space on one of the seven homescreens...i digress.

To the op based on what i understand is your want/need you honestly have only a couple options

Get a phone that comes setup the way you want

Rewrite the UI and/or make your own app

Not trying to be a smart ass, but there is no way one device can make everyone happy. Outside of my two above suggestions, i don't see any possible way to do what you are after.

My advice, just enjoy your phone for the things you like and take these small miscues in stride. No reason to complain about what you can't change.
jadoe05 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I for one think it should be an icon on the main camera screen.
Didn't think to check the menu to find the switch til I read this. It should really be obvious.

But no bigger now that I know. Few clicks though not very obvious
garyray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixor View Post
I've searched, read the stickers, browsed a bit, and still can't find an answer.

Is there a way to quickly switch from the main camera to the front-facing one? I'm getting tired of having to do it the long way by going into the settings. If there isn't a short way to do it on the original camera app, is there a 3rd party app that can do it?
Maybe I'm missing something, but when you are in the camera or the video recorder, simply slide out the tab on the left side of the screen (top of the screen if not held horizontally) by sliding it. Then click which one you want to switch to and slide the tab back into place. I know it's not exactly one touch, (swipe, touch, swipe) but easier than hitting menu, etc.
sdnorth100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Sorry but I agree

I would love a little button (under the shutter button) that would let me switch cameras. This "it's only three clicks vs. 1" logic is kinda silly to me, most improvements to GUIs are for convenience sake anyway.
jeffreytz is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): HTC Evo, HTC Hero, Blackberry Tour
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I agree with the OP. I use uStream Producer to stream live video, and a small button to allow me to switch between cameras would be ideal.

But even if I disagreed, I see no reason to blast the OP. Isn't that the point of a forum? To ask questions and get educated responses? If they're asking the question, its obviously important to them. "Why" they're asking is irrelevant.

As i have no coding skills, I'll be watching for a 3rd party app that adds this functionality.
pdxsurreal is offline  
Last edited by pdxsurreal; July 17th, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 69
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default

FYI, this supposedly unnecessary "fix" will be included with CM6.
Minjin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
AdamBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colleyville, Tx
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsurreal View Post
But even if I disagreed, I see no reason to blast the OP. Isn't that the point of a forum? To ask questions and get educated responses? If they're asking the question, its obviously important to them. "Why" they're asking is irrelevant.
One of the great Wonders of the Internet. I think it's part of the Internet ******* Theory.

AdamBlue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Matlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas!
Posts: 649
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D - SHIFT (Wife's)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 525 Times in 107 Posts
Matlock.Evo@gmail.com
Default

For those who actually want to help, keep it up. for the rest of you, if you can't post something helpful, don't post anything at all.

And by the way.

Mirror 4 Evo utilizes 1 click front camera App. enjoy.
__________________
ROOTING FOR DUMMIES + MORE! (EVO 4G)
EVO 3D & EVO Shift (Wife's)
"The only dumb question is an unasked one!"

Follow me on: Twitter!
Matlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): htc® EVO™ 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
For those who actually want to help, keep it up. for the rest of you, if you can't post something helpful, don't post anything at all.

And by the way.

Mirror 4 Evo utilizes 1 click front camera App. enjoy.
I agree! now this is helpful and an example of a good forum member! Tnx Mat!
kixs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
takirb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: S. Carolina
Posts: 641
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO LTE, Cup and String
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 188
Thanked 181 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Wow, i guess i'm in the minority on this one 'cause i think a 1-click solution from the home screen to open the FF cam would be awesome. I mean there are widgets and shortcuts on the home screen for this specific, exact concept; no need to bash someone for wanting it to work with another setting, that's just dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Mirror 4 Evo utilizes 1 click front camera App. enjoy.
I tried the mirror 4 evo app but it kept locking up on me and wouldn't exit out of the cam when i wanted it to so i had to uninstall great idea though, if only it worked 100%
takirb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Matlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas!
Posts: 649
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D - SHIFT (Wife's)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 525 Times in 107 Posts
Matlock.Evo@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takirb View Post
Wow, i guess i'm in the minority on this one 'cause i think a 1-click solution from the home screen to open the FF cam would be awesome. I mean there are widgets and shortcuts on the home screen for this specific, exact concept; no need to bash someone for wanting it to work with another setting, that's just dumb.



I tried the mirror 4 evo app but it kept locking up on me and wouldn't exit out of the cam when i wanted it to so i had to uninstall great idea though, if only it worked 100%
Hmm.. it should work no problem. Tried to uninstall then install it again to see if it worked? Or reset phone after install?
Matlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G > EVO 4G - Tips and Tricks
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.