Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO Design > EVO Design - All Things Root

Like Tree3Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default FreedomPop HTC Evo Design

Has anyone gotten a hold of one of FreedomPop's HTC Evo Designs yet to see if rooting and whatnot works with the current methods?

Advertisements
Knolly is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knolly For This Useful Post:
lostatsea (November 4th, 2013), maikalwolf (October 3rd, 2013)
sponsored links
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): HTC EVO Design 4G LG Optimus M+ Cube U30GT2
Carrier: Metropcs on LG/FreedomPop on HTC

Thanks: 40
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I'm looking to do some playing with it. I don't have it yet but I put up the question in the phone's forum. Hopefully we'll get some answers!
maikalwolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Which forum do you mean? I did a ton of Googling and this forum was the only one I found with good information on rooting the Design, but it's very possible I missed one.
Knolly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): HTC EVO Design 4G LG Optimus M+ Cube U30GT2
Carrier: Metropcs on LG/FreedomPop on HTC

Thanks: 40
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default here!

HTC EVO Design - Android Forums
maikalwolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Well, regarding rooting the Freedompop Design... I just got mine and it was actually rooted out of the box. So there's that.
Knolly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Knolly, I did noticed it seems rooted out of the box. However, not able to install the HTC radio app directly from SD card. Got the "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not obtained from the Android Market" message. What did you do?
Tronzie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 04:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 261
 
Device(s): Evo Design, Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 25
Thanked 246 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronzie View Post
Knolly, I did noticed it seems rooted out of the box. However, not able to install the HTC radio app directly from SD card. Got the "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not obtained from the Android Market" message. What did you do?
go to settings and I think under security there is a checkbox that will say "allow installation from unknown sources" check that
jssa28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

JSSA28, thanks for the suggestion.

Actually the confusion was that it was already checked, so I assumed it was active. I had to uncheck, and checkit back again to be able to activate it. However, for an unknown reason, it did not installed. I will download and install Spirit FM instead.
Tronzie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

By the way, Spirit FM works flawlessly! You can listed to your all your local radio stations. Doing most to test the FM radio, as the battery on this device doesn't last long.
Tronzie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): RAZR M, Galaxy Nexus, EVO Design 4G, B&N Nook HD, EVO 4G, Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Lycamobile, FreedomPop, Airvoice,..

Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I put this in the BlueKingdom thread but I thought it was relevant here too:
I have installed this ROM successfully on my FreedomPop Phone. The network reads "Boost Mobile". I used the "4G Toggle for EVO" app to get 4G working. I sideloaded the "android-wifi-tether" app and was able to connect to my Android tablet after adjusting the 'Setup-Method' to Netd (master). Also, I was able to install the FreedomPop Messaging app. It works also without any tweaks (both SIP and SMS).
asgalvan is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 27th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
vicmarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G Classic rom/kernel- LG Optimus M Reppard's CM7 w/r.O.C.K kernel
Carrier: Google Voice - FreedomPop

Thanks: 11
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgalvan View Post
I put this in the BlueKingdom thread but I thought it was relevant here too:
I have installed this ROM successfully on my FreedomPop Phone. The network reads "Boost Mobile". I used the "4G Toggle for EVO" app to get 4G working. I sideloaded the "android-wifi-tether" app and was able to connect to my Android tablet after adjusting the 'Setup-Method' to Netd (master). Also, I was able to install the FreedomPop Messaging app. It works also without any tweaks (both SIP and SMS).
Great news! I am looking into this FreedomPop phone and would like to do the same. So everything works as in FreedomPop services? I would like to install Google Voice with either GrooveIP or Talkatone to take advantage of the 500 MB data for voice calls and keep my original number. Do you think this would be possible and also to keep my 200 voice minutes for backup? Thanks in advance.

edit: here is a link to something I would like to do.

http://frank.pilone.name/phone-service-by-freedom-pop/
vicmarkus is offline  
Last edited by vicmarkus; October 27th, 2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: link
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes...FreedomPop uses Voip to make the calls. You can use any rom on the phone and just download the messages app and register the phone with your email for calls. Other than that you just use data as normal and wifi wherever you can to keep your data down. Using voip outside of the FreedomPop app just counts as data and not minutes. Its an awesome plan. FreedomPop just bought a bunch of data from sprint and refurbished phone for our benefit. Their customer service sucks though so don't try. Keeping your old phone number I just use google voice to forward calls to the new number and handle voice mail because freedompops voicemail is $3 a month. Thanks google.
c7j8d9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
vicmarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G Classic rom/kernel- LG Optimus M Reppard's CM7 w/r.O.C.K kernel
Carrier: Google Voice - FreedomPop

Thanks: 11
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7j8d9 View Post
Yes...FreedomPop uses Voip to make the calls. You can use any rom on the phone and just download the messages app and register the phone with your email for calls. Other than that you just use data as normal and wifi wherever you can to keep your data down. Using voip outside of the FreedomPop app just counts as data and not minutes. Its an awesome plan. FreedomPop just bought a bunch of data from sprint and refurbished phone for our benefit. Their customer service sucks though so don't try. Keeping your old phone number I just use google voice to forward calls to the new number and handle voice mail because freedompops voicemail is $3 a month. Thanks google.
Thanks for the info. I am on the waiting list for the phone and want to experiment with it once I get it. Thanks and glad to hear other people are interested.
vicmarkus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
torch2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Hello guys! I just recentlty recieved my Freedompop phone, and it came rooted and everything, I already removed some bloatware, and made a backup. But i was wondering if anyone tried installing a different rom or kernel, and if they did, if they could provide some steps? it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!
torch2424 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
insink71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 120
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G & Design 4G, Wildfire S (x3), One V, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 (2012), HP Touchpad, etc.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Hey guys. Just checking in. I ordered one of these for the free service/throw-away phone. Should be sitting on my doorstep when I get home today [according to the fedex tracker]. I'll throw some info up if I run across anything interesting.
insink71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): RAZR M, Galaxy Nexus, EVO Design 4G, B&N Nook HD, EVO 4G, Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Lycamobile, FreedomPop, Airvoice,..

Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torch2424 View Post
Hello guys! I just recentlty recieved my Freedompop phone, and it came rooted and everything, I already removed some bloatware, and made a backup. But i was wondering if anyone tried installing a different rom or kernel, and if they did, if they could provide some steps? it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I have installed both the ForgottonKingdom and BlueKingdom ROMs on it. If you want to use the Messaging App, download it from the store; it works just fine. To get into CWM, pull the battery (of course put it back). Then turn on the phone while pressing the volume down key. That will get you into HBOOT. From there select recovery. You will find CWM already there.
asgalvan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
torch2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgalvan View Post
I have installed both the ForgottonKingdom and BlueKingdom ROMs on it. If you want to use the Messaging App, download it from the store; it works just fine. To get into CWM, pull the battery (of course put it back). Then turn on the phone while pressing the volume down key. That will get you into HBOOT. From there select recovery. You will find CWM already there.
Forsure! Thanks dude! I appreciate it, do calls still work? I shall be trying this tonight hopefully, I'll update everyone with how it works for me. Anyone thinking about developing for our new phone?
torch2424 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
insink71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 120
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G & Design 4G, Wildfire S (x3), One V, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 (2012), HP Touchpad, etc.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Default

I'll look at hobbying for it ref: https://www.teamblueridge.org
Initial impressions: Quite a decent device and rom out of the box.
Pre-rooted [aforementioned], very little bloat [compared to other carriers], cwm recovery installed by default, [like sips I've used] the freedompop app [has to] runs constantly [which will account for some battery life issue(s) no doubt]

Edit: Found wasn't syncing.. build is actually 4.0.3 and weather works fine. I've found that if the service falls all the way down [no bars] it turns off mobile data; therefore, wifi [connection] doesn't work :/ Sad; because, I work in a bunker more or less.
insink71 is offline  
Last edited by insink71; October 31st, 2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Edit
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): RAZR M, Galaxy Nexus, EVO Design 4G, B&N Nook HD, EVO 4G, Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Lycamobile, FreedomPop, Airvoice,..

Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

The ROM that comes with it is based off of 4.0.3 and uses Sence 3.6. Yes the Messenger app will make and receive calls, although, in the past 24 hrs my calls will not come in unless you dial a +1 in my number. Very weird!
asgalvan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
torch2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Hey guys! I'd just like to report that i installed Forgottenkingdom, and it runs great, i got to remove all of the sense stuff and it's really smooth, and you'll get a slight battery boost. Also, don't use Pimpmyrom, it broke the rom for me and made it really slow. Thanks for the help though everyone!
torch2424 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 4th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I also got the Freedom Pop phone recently.

I spend time in the states but I spend most of my time in Canada.

When I read about the Evo Design 4G I read that you could pop in a foreign SIM and it would just work.

I crossed into Canada but when I try to change the preferred network from CDMA mode to global mode it gives me a warning and sets the network back to CDMA.

Is there a way that I can enable the global network mode? Seems like a setting in the custom ROM the Freedom Pop phone ships with is blocking that ability.

Does Forgottenkingdom allow you to change the network to the Global Network setting?
lostatsea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
insink71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 120
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G & Design 4G, Wildfire S (x3), One V, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 (2012), HP Touchpad, etc.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Default CID

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
I also got the Freedom Pop phone recently.

I spend time in the states but I spend most of my time in Canada.

When I read about the Evo Design 4G I read that you could pop in a foreign SIM and it would just work.

I crossed into Canada but when I try to change the preferred network from CDMA mode to global mode it gives me a warning and sets the network back to CDMA.

Is there a way that I can enable the global network mode? Seems like a setting in the custom ROM the Freedom Pop phone ships with is blocking that ability.

Does Forgottenkingdom allow you to change the network to the Global Network setting?
Welp, you've stumbled upon something there. Our phones are tuned to sprint [as freedompop is a sprint mvno]. You have to change the CID to get superCID or basically SPC_0003 or whatever it is to 11111111. I found it; unfortunately its on a write-protected partition [mmcblk0p7] you can view it in a text editor if you go to /dev/block from es explorer; however, only writing it in qhsusbdload mode worked for me [fortunately I have a riff box]. I tried hex editing it manually and writing w/ adb tools, but as I said before, write protected.

You have to unlock the CID to unlock that sim. On a gsm phone you could shove a foreign sim in and it'd ask you for a code; with cdma, you wanna twerk that cid first Hope that helps.

Beyond the CID, you'll need a rom that allows cdma and gsm.. there are but a few universal phones out there, but I suppose this one w/ a sim could be made to be such (if a cdma/gsm radio exists for it). I remember playing with a dinc2 on tmo; so, possible but a lot of work my friend. Good luck.

Regards,
Rob
insink71 is offline  
Last edited by insink71; November 6th, 2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added beyond cid
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to insink71 For This Useful Post:
lostatsea (November 10th, 2013)
Old November 9th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): RAZR M, Galaxy Nexus, EVO Design 4G, B&N Nook HD, EVO 4G, Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Lycamobile, FreedomPop, Airvoice,..

Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Global Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
I also got the Freedom Pop phone recently.

I spend time in the states but I spend most of my time in Canada.

When I read about the Evo Design 4G I read that you could pop in a foreign SIM and it would just work.

I crossed into Canada but when I try to change the preferred network from CDMA mode to global mode it gives me a warning and sets the network back to CDMA.

Is there a way that I can enable the global network mode? Seems like a setting in the custom ROM the Freedom Pop phone ships with is blocking that ability.

Does Forgottenkingdom allow you to change the network to the Global Network setting?
It seems that both of jssa28's ROMs work well on this phone with FP. Both ROMs have settings for Global Mode, but seem to have European APNs. You may have to input your own. You will have to go into phone settings and change to GSM only mode and also that go into Mobile Networks make sure Roaming mode is set to GSM only and the APNs for the network are plugged in. Someone else on one of the threads here was able to do the same thing into Mexico and use CDMA while here. Some of the settings you need are missing from the FP ROM.
asgalvan is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asgalvan For This Useful Post:
lostatsea (November 10th, 2013)
Old November 10th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you both! I'll give a custom ROM a try. I haven't installed a custom ROM before, we'll see what happens haha.
lostatsea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is there any functionality specific to the FreedomPop ROM image that can't be replicated by simply installing their apps from the Play Store? They give you a certain allotment of data and minutes, but all calling is SIP anyway, so maybe on their ROM they have something monitoring data usage and EXCLUDING sip calls. I'm not sure, just asking.
jc4gavejc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgalvan View Post
It seems that both of jssa28's ROMs work well on this phone with FP. Both ROMs have settings for Global Mode, but seem to have European APNs. You may have to input your own. You will have to go into phone settings and change to GSM only mode and also that go into Mobile Networks make sure Roaming mode is set to GSM only and the APNs for the network are plugged in. Someone else on one of the threads here was able to do the same thing into Mexico and use CDMA while here. Some of the settings you need are missing from the FP ROM.
So, I was able to install both BlueKingdom and ForgottenKingdom on the FP phone, I liked BlueKingdom way more.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to connect to my Bell account, but it does seem to try to connect to Rogers. So I'm going to go into Rogers this week and see if I can try out a demo SIM and if that works sign up for a pay as you go account through them. Thanks again for your help.
lostatsea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
Unfortunately I wasn't able to connect to my Bell account, but it does seem to try to connect to Rogers. So I'm going to go into Rogers this week and see if I can try out a demo SIM and if that works sign up for a pay as you go account through them. Thanks again for your help.
Not suprise you cannot connect to Bell. Bell has CDMA and HSPA, but not GSM. If you have Bell SIM card, that means you need a HSPA 3G phone to work with it.
The HTC EVO Design only has 2G/GSM for SIM slot. You should be able to use it with Rogers/Fido/Petro-Canada/7-11 .
asgalvan likes this.
min68 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to min68 For This Useful Post:
lostatsea (November 11th, 2013)
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by min68 View Post
Not suprise you cannot connect to Bell. Bell has CDMA and HSPA, but not GSM. If you have Bell SIM card, that means you need a HSPA 3G phone to work with it.
The HTC EVO Design only has 2G/GSM for SIM slot. You should be able to use it with Rogers/Fido/Petro-Canada/7-11 .
Wow, thank you! That really clears up a lot for me. Cheers.
lostatsea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just to update what I've been working on from info in this thread...

I have successfully set up the phone on FreedomPop in the US and Rogers in Canada with the ability to switch between them at will.

The data uses 2G speeds but the slower speeds don't affect me too much. I'm accustomed to either not having a data plan or just having a slow phone.

I'm very happy!
min68 likes this.
lostatsea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
Just to update what I've been working on from info in this thread...

I have successfully set up the phone on FreedomPop in the US and Rogers in Canada with the ability to switch between them at will.

The data uses 2G speeds but the slower speeds don't affect me too much. I'm accustomed to either not having a data plan or just having a slow phone.

I'm very happy!
Glad to hear that! Are you using Freeedompop stock ROM, or BlueKingdom?
min68 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 14th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #31 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by min68 View Post
Glad to hear that! Are you using Freeedompop stock ROM, or BlueKingdom?
I'm using BlueKingdom.
lostatsea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #32 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
Just to update what I've been working on from info in this thread...

I have successfully set up the phone on FreedomPop in the US and Rogers in Canada with the ability to switch between them at will.

The data uses 2G speeds but the slower speeds don't affect me too much. I'm accustomed to either not having a data plan or just having a slow phone.

I'm very happy!
Was there anything special you had to do for it to work, or was it just a simple matter of putting in a Rogers SIM and switching to global mode?
rickhuizinga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhuizinga View Post
Was there anything special you had to do for it to work, or was it just a simple matter of putting in a Rogers SIM and switching to global mode?
I had backed up the original ROM with the Kingdom CWM Recovery before I installed BlueKingdom. Then I installed the BlueKingdom ROM.

After BlueKingdom was installed, I rebooted into CWM custom recovery, select Backup And Restore, and then Advanced Restore. Select the backup that you want to restore from and then select Restore Data.

Took it into Rogers, switched the Roaming Mode to GSM only, tried a SIM card there and it worked. Took a minute or so for it to connect but once it got connected I haven't had any problems. I even still seem to be able to use the FreedomPop service while on WiFi if I had a reason to do so.

Usually when the phone is rebooted there will be a notice that says "Process com.android.phone is not responding" but I just hit "Wait". It only seems to happen when the phone is turned off and back on. I've even hit "OK" before and it still seemed to connect to the Rogers network and FreedomPop (while on WiFi) after about a minute.
lostatsea is offline  
Last edited by lostatsea; November 14th, 2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 114
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Received my FP Evo today. Mine is in terrific shape, looks brand new. Tested voice calls over 3G and it sounded just fine to me and the other party. I was pretty excited by that part.

I'm backing it up and preparing to test out some other roms. I'm not new to the android world at all. This is actually my 3rd Evo, falling right in between my old Evo 4G and Evo 3D. I got rid of some old devices to pick this one up. It is by no means to be my primary phone. It's just going to be a device that happens to have 500mb of free data forever.
deathsled is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How to root?

Hi, I'm fairly new to the whole rooting thing. I just got the EVO Design from FreedomPop and downloaded Root Check. It said my phone was not rooted like some of the other people on this board.

Are there any suggestions for where to go to find rooting instructions? Does this have to be rooted any differently than a non-FreedomPop Design phone?
blarpu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:26 AM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 22
 
Device(s): HTC Evo Design 4G, Nexus 7 2013
Carrier: FreedomPop

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarpu View Post
Hi, I'm fairly new to the whole rooting thing. I just got the EVO Design from FreedomPop and downloaded Root Check. It said my phone was not rooted like some of the other people on this board.

Are there any suggestions for where to go to find rooting instructions? Does this have to be rooted any differently than a non-FreedomPop Design phone?
In my experience, they all come with the bootloader already unlocked and with CWM Recovery already flashed, but not necessarily with superuser installed. So it is just a matter of installing superuser.

Here are the steps you need to take:

1. On your phone, download superuser, http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

2. Power off your phone and remove the battery for a few seconds

3. Put the battery back in and hold down the VolumeDown button and the power button at the same time to boot into bootloader. This is a bright white screen with some text on it and 3 green skateboarding androids at the bottom.

4. You will see some text flash across the screen as your device does a check. Once it stops you can navigate the menu using the volume up and down buttons. Select RECOVERY and hit the power button to enter it.

5. You should now be in CWM Recovery. Again using the volume up and down buttons select Install package from zip file using the power button.

6. Locate the superuser zip file in your downloads folder and select it.

7. Once complete go back to the main CWM menu and select reboot phone.

8. Your phone should now boot normally but your phone is now rooted.
briansquare likes this.
dawithers is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dawithers For This Useful Post:
Samatman (January 13th, 2014)
Old December 4th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #37 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Downloading Superuser directly did the trick! Thanks for your help!
blarpu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:58 AM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 33.8,-118
Posts: 10
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 2012, HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: FreedomPop

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawithers View Post
In my experience, they all come with the bootloader already unlocked and with CWM Recovery already flashed, but not necessarily with superuser installed. So it is just a matter of installing superuser.

Here are the steps you need to take:

1. On your phone, download superuser, <URL redacted because this is my first post>

2. Power off your phone and remove the battery for a few seconds

3. Put the battery back in and hold down the VolumeDown button and the power button at the same time to boot into bootloader. This is a bright white screen with some text on it and 3 green skateboarding androids at the bottom.

4. You will see some text flash across the screen as your device does a check. Once it stops you can navigate the menu using the volume up and down buttons. Select RECOVERY and hit the power button to enter it.

5. You should now be in CWM Recovery. Again using the volume up and down buttons select Install package from zip file using the power button.

6. Locate the superuser zip file in your downloads folder and select it.

7. Once complete go back to the main CWM menu and select reboot phone.

8. Your phone should now boot normally but your phone is now rooted.
So from there, all I need to do to install a custom rom is do a nandroid backup, copy the rom zip to my sdcard, and install it the same way as the superuser zip, right?
jook11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 10:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): RAZR M, Galaxy Nexus, EVO Design 4G, B&N Nook HD, EVO 4G, Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Lycamobile, FreedomPop, Airvoice,..

Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jook11 View Post
So from there, all I need to do to install a custom rom is do a nandroid backup, copy the rom zip to my sdcard, and install it the same way as the superuser zip, right?
Make sure that before you flash the new ROM that you do a factory reset wipe in CWM. You might encounter some weird issues if you don't.
asgalvan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:29 AM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 33.8,-118
Posts: 10
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 2012, HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: FreedomPop

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgalvan View Post
Make sure that before you flash the new ROM that you do a factory reset wipe in CWM. You might encounter some weird issues if you don't.
Oops. Yeah, that too. I did know that step, but I forgot to mention it. Thanks for clarifying for people who might come along later, though.
jook11 is offline  
Last edited by jook11; February 2nd, 2014 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 5th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
CORIAH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: boots moblie

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to CORIAH
Default

So just download that zip an them step ..an no other step before . An i root my phone
CORIAH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #42 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): HTC EVO Design 4G LG Optimus M+ Cube U30GT2
Carrier: Metropcs on LG/FreedomPop on HTC

Thanks: 40
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Has anyone tried to unlock the tethering/hotspot option? I was told by CS that it is not supported. But it does work when you clcik it on, it just wont let you into the set-up so you can unlock it for use with another device like a tablet. My tablet sees it but without the security option open to set up I can use it with my tablet.
maikalwolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #43 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): HTC EVO Design 4G LG Optimus M+ Cube U30GT2
Carrier: Metropcs on LG/FreedomPop on HTC

Thanks: 40
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

ThE blue kingdom rom download site is not working now. Is that temporary? <-- Never mind this

Never mind, it is working. I had to switch to my Chrome browser since the download page was not recognizing the IE9 javascript.


Okay, this is to ALL FreedonPop newbies coming through here. The Freedompop EVO Design 4g IS already rooted. It already has CWM v.5.

But you must update the superuser binaries. There is a post, copied from these forumslocated in the freedompop discussions forums under the thread "what apps are in your phone?" The links lead you, or has already lead you back to these forums. If you are here for that please remember the 4G design IS already rooted and has CWM!!!!

I see a lot of new post from Freedompop brethren looking to root your phones, I belive you are looking for the superuser post (#36 in the Blue Kingdom thread) with the link I used to update superuser.
I would rather you folks go there than make new post for the wrong reasons and take the precious few people working on roms to help you with something you already have. Its a waste of time and keeps them from working (hopefully) on new roms and fixing the curent batch of hopeful roms for our three year old phones!

Needless to say if you need help by all means there are plenty of good folks willing to give help on these pages. But know what you need and look around for answers, don't crowd the forums with un-needed new threads if possible.

thank you.
maikalwolf is offline  
Last edited by maikalwolf; February 12th, 2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: new info. spelling
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM   #44 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 32
 
Device(s): HTC Evo Design 4G
Carrier: FreedomPop

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawithers View Post
In my experience, they all come with the bootloader already unlocked and with CWM Recovery already flashed, but not necessarily with superuser installed. So it is just a matter of installing superuser.

Here are the steps you need to take:

1. On your phone, download superuser, http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

2. Power off your phone and remove the battery for a few seconds

3. Put the battery back in and hold down the VolumeDown button and the power button at the same time to boot into bootloader. This is a bright white screen with some text on it and 3 green skateboarding androids at the bottom.

4. You will see some text flash across the screen as your device does a check. Once it stops you can navigate the menu using the volume up and down buttons. Select RECOVERY and hit the power button to enter it.

5. You should now be in CWM Recovery. Again using the volume up and down buttons select Install package from zip file using the power button.

6. Locate the superuser zip file in your downloads folder and select it.

7. Once complete go back to the main CWM menu and select reboot phone.

8. Your phone should now boot normally but your phone is now rooted.
Hello,

when I click RECOVERY, the phone shows an "HTC" and acts to be booting like normal, but you said that CWM should come up. What should I do, because CWM didn't come up, and I don't want to screw anything up?

Thanks,

davidsports
davidsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 11:37 AM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): HTC EVO Design 4G LG Optimus M+ Cube U30GT2
Carrier: Metropcs on LG/FreedomPop on HTC

Thanks: 40
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

David, repeat steps below and try again.

2. Power off your phone and remove the battery for a few seconds

3. Put the battery back in and hold down the VolumeDown button and the power button at the same time to boot into bootloader. This is a bright white screen with some text on it and 3 green skateboarding androids at the bottom.

4. You will see some text flash across the screen as your device does a check. Once it stops you can navigate the menu using the volume up and down buttons. Select RECOVERY and hit the power button to enter it.

5. You should now be in CWM Recovery. Again using the volume up and down buttons select Install package from zip file using the power button.

6. Locate the superuser zip file in your downloads folder and select it.

7. Once complete go back to the main CWM menu and select reboot phone.

8. Your phone should now boot normally but your phone is now rooted.
maikalwolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 11:48 AM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 32
 
Device(s): HTC Evo Design 4G
Carrier: FreedomPop

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikalwolf View Post
David, repeat steps below and try again.

2. Power off your phone and remove the battery for a few seconds

3. Put the battery back in and hold down the VolumeDown button and the power button at the same time to boot into bootloader. This is a bright white screen with some text on it and 3 green skateboarding androids at the bottom.

4. You will see some text flash across the screen as your device does a check. Once it stops you can navigate the menu using the volume up and down buttons. Select RECOVERY and hit the power button to enter it.

5. You should now be in CWM Recovery. Again using the volume up and down buttons select Install package from zip file using the power button.

6. Locate the superuser zip file in your downloads folder and select it.

7. Once complete go back to the main CWM menu and select reboot phone.

8. Your phone should now boot normally but your phone is now rooted.
Thank you for the reply, but when I choose RECOVERY my phone restarts, and then I take out the battery because I don't want the phone to go to an earlier ROM, because my reedomPOp ROM is delicate and shouldn't be messed with. If my phone seems to boot after I hit RECOVERY (The "HTC" pops up like it would if it would normally boot) what would it do? Would it restore itself to an earlier version of my phone or what?

Thank you very much.

David
davidsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:26 PM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): HTC EVO Design 4G LG Optimus M+ Cube U30GT2
Carrier: Metropcs on LG/FreedomPop on HTC

Thanks: 40
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

David, I have the freedomPop, and followed the same instruction. I am Miguel Lopez on the FP forums. When your phone reboots after doing the aboe steps, do not remove the battery, it will take you back to recovery. If it does then just, while in recovery, do the "reboot system now" and it should return you to regular reboot and normal operations other than your phone is now rooted! If you get a "process android.process..." message hit wait and proceed as normal. Please read my threads "what apps are on your phone" and Is your phone rooted..." on FP I listed two apps that will test your root and your superuser status. The FP phones only have one Rom and thats their stock rom, so the instructions you followed here do not do anything except update your binaries and install the SU app. THe SU app will periodically ask for permission to give apps permision to work with your system.
maikalwolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 03:36 PM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 32
 
Device(s): HTC Evo Design 4G
Carrier: FreedomPop

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikalwolf View Post
David, I have the freedomPop, and followed the same instruction. I am Miguel Lopez on the FP forums. When your phone reboots after doing the aboe steps, do not remove the battery, it will take you back to recovery. If it does then just, while in recovery, do the "reboot system now" and it should return you to regular reboot and normal operations other than your phone is now rooted! If you get a "process android.process..." message hit wait and proceed as normal. Please read my threads "what apps are on your phone" and Is your phone rooted..." on FP I listed two apps that will test your root and your superuser status. The FP phones only have one Rom and thats their stock rom, so the instructions you followed here do not do anything except update your binaries and install the SU app. THe SU app will periodically ask for permission to give apps permision to work with your system.
Thank you very much, and actually I started the thread of "It is safe to root the HTC Evo Design 4G?" . Thank you for the help

Thanks,

David
davidsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 03:46 PM   #49 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 32
 
Device(s): HTC Evo Design 4G
Carrier: FreedomPop

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikalwolf View Post
David, I have the freedomPop, and followed the same instruction. I am Miguel Lopez on the FP forums. When your phone reboots after doing the aboe steps, do not remove the battery, it will take you back to recovery. If it does then just, while in recovery, do the "reboot system now" and it should return you to regular reboot and normal operations other than your phone is now rooted! If you get a "process android.process..." message hit wait and proceed as normal. Please read my threads "what apps are on your phone" and Is your phone rooted..." on FP I listed two apps that will test your root and your superuser status. The FP phones only have one Rom and thats their stock rom, so the instructions you followed here do not do anything except update your binaries and install the SU app. THe SU app will periodically ask for permission to give apps permision to work with your system.

One more thing, before I do this:

(This is not following the above steps)

When my phone is off and charging ClockworkMod pops up.
When I use ClockworkMod, I use the volume keys to go up/down. To select something, I use the power button, but when I use the power button I select something, and it appears for literally about half a second, and then my phone boots regularly. (When I just test CWM out when my phone is off and charging as stated before.)
What can I do to use ClockworkMod normally? (So I can choose things and my phone just doesn't boot.)
Thanks,
David
davidsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): HTC EVO Design 4G LG Optimus M+ Cube U30GT2
Carrier: Metropcs on LG/FreedomPop on HTC

Thanks: 40
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hmm thats a strange one for me David. Haven't experienced that before. It should not do that. Let me ask you how many times did you flash the su above? If you only did it once, perhaps you should consider reflashing the su update, maybe something went wrong with your process.
maikalwolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO Design > EVO Design - All Things Root

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.