Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO V 4G > EVO V 4G - All Things Root

Like Tree44Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #501 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gothicnerd1033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philli, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 582
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G Running PACman 6-11-13 VM Build
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 75
Thanked 153 Times in 112 Posts
Default

I am still getting loads of radio shortage errors when sending texts. That has to do with the radio, Right? Would updating these solve those problems? Where would I find out what versions I currently have installed?

A little side question.. Under system updates... there is update profile.. prl.. and htc updates.. is it safe to click these? Right now I am currently using the jmz stock rooted rom. Will clicking any of these mess up this rom and make certain things not work again?

I am going to most likely s-off and take a look at the 4ext program, Before flashing midnightrom tomorrow, So I dont have to do extra steps. I was dealing with router/modem issues all night and finally got it fixed(thank god I rooted my phone and downloaded a tether app to do research on the problems or I would of been screwed). I really dont feel like diving into this tonight, But most likely will tomorrow because Im going crazy wanting to get it done already. Lol.

Advertisements
gothicnerd1033 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #502 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 917
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G Toshiba Thrive
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 58 Times in 53 Posts
Default Re: Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

Working on.rooting wife's phone. Got through submitting token etc in htcdev but an nut getting the email with the unlock token. Any ideas on this one?

Edit: got it. Had to create a new account.
wigginst is offline  
Last edited by wigginst; January 27th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #503 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V
Carrier: None (WiFi Only)

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

noob question, but on step two, all the downloaded files move to the SD card? Any special place they have to be or just loose?
CharlieTango92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #504 (permalink)
Resident Slide Rule Guru
 
OverByter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,998
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G,Triumph CM7 TG=Reloaded, Intercept UD6, HTC Wildfire S HBOOT Unlocked w/s-off
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 403
Thanked 918 Times in 656 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to OverByter
Default Re: Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTango92 View Post
noob question, but on step two, all the downloaded files move to the SD card? Any special place they have to be or just loose?
As jerofld states in that post, they can go anywhere but he recommended putting them in a folder on your sd card labeled rom and also gave you the file path for the pc files that you extracted. Good luck.
OB
OverByter is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OverByter For This Useful Post:
CharlieTango92 (January 29th, 2013), FATSHORTY (February 2nd, 2013)
Old January 30th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #505 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Fellow View Post
Did you actually flash the ROM that was linked? If not, you don't have SuperUser on there. I personally had trouble with this step as I decided NOT to flash that ROM. I ended up flashing SuperUser direclty via my recovery and it worked. If you go this route, you want the ARM version of the Superuser zip, not the x86.

If you did flash a ROM, which one? Please link to is and someone more knowledgeable than me can tell you if that version has SuperUser baked in.
Haha! Come to find out (after attempting the same exact process at least eight times) my SD card was corrupt the entire time! I feel like such a fool, but I take comfort in knowing that none of this was my inability to follow instructions.

Thank you again.

-EDIT- If somebody here is familiar with S-OFF and wouldn't mind answering a couple questions that I have, I'd appreciate it.


1: The website (http://unlimited.io/juopunutbear.htm) does not list the HTC EVO V 4G as a supported device. While the V 4G is practically a repack of the EVO 3D, I don't want to take any chances until I know for a fact this specific link/method is safe.

2: According to the S-OFF guide "Be on the Stock RUU. No other ROMs are supported, Fresh ROM will not work regardless of what you have read elsewhere."

How would I go about to getting back to stock?
ClausLester is offline  
Last edited by ClausLester; January 30th, 2013 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Desired S-OFF information
Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #506 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,888
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 275 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClausLester View Post
Haha! Come to find out (after attempting the same exact process at least eight times) my SD card was corrupt the entire time! I feel like such a fool, but I take comfort in knowing that none of this was my inability to follow instructions.

Thank you again.

-EDIT- If somebody here is familiar with S-OFF and wouldn't mind answering a couple questions that I have, I'd appreciate it.


1: The website (Unlimited.IO) does not list the HTC EVO V 4G as a supported device. While the V 4G is practically a repack of the EVO 3D, I don't want to take any chances until I know for a fact this specific link/method is safe.

2: According to the S-OFF guide "Be on the Stock RUU. No other ROMs are supported, Fresh ROM will not work regardless of what you have read elsewhere."

How would I go about to getting back to stock?

1. Scroll down a bit. The EVO V is listed under EVO 3D. You'll see that the EVO 3D has MORE download options than any other phone. The reason is because it has two names...and if you scroll down, you'll see 6 download options for the EVO 3D. The last two have (Virgin Mobile) in the names.

2. Use the ROM that's recommended in the newbie rooting guide. It will return you back to stock with Superuser permissions inabled. You need SU.
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #507 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V
Carrier: None (WiFi Only)

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

sucker's rooted now! actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.

A few questions though:

Is it possible to get into bootloader/fastboot without connecting to PC? Just by the phone? Would that require S-OFF?

I have a 32GB MicroSDHC card I want to use to replace the stock 8GB one. Do I need to wipe SD card/caches to replace? Or do i just replace, reload apps, then wipe old card via PC?

Any idea if this rooting method would work in linux? I'm thinking so, but i'm not sure. Cmd and terminal commands probably would be compatible, but opening the exes such as HTCSync would be a bear
CharlieTango92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #508 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,888
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 275 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTango92 View Post

Is it possible to get into bootloader/fastboot without connecting to PC? Just by the phone? Would that require S-OFF?

IIRC, once you've rooted and have superuser, you'll want a recovery. If you've gotten that far, then you can work from just the phone now. You don't need S-OFF for many things, but you need it for some. Elaborate on what you want to do.
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:42 PM   #509 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Do i need s-off to flash a different rom or can i use ext4 and do i need s-off to update radio or prl? or can i just go to settings software option and update prl and htc profile from there? or will this brick the phone?
FATSHORTY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:07 AM   #510 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southwestern United States
Gender: Female
Posts: 22
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Alcatel One Touch Evolve!
Carrier: GoSmart

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Notsure I need to speak to someone...soon about rooting!

It seems each time I find someone who is making it easy to root an incred. I have another question to ask! Now I am afraid I don't understand much about anything I can't download from the play store! Was going to follow your post 2, the more detailed version of rooting but somehow, I cannot find it!
I think I am going to give up and just go to Root Android for $30. although our situation financially would be more suited to doing it myself. I just don't have the nerve without actual hand holding! I really thought I was going to do it today and I am very disappointed in myself and my lack of adventure! Oh well, just have to bite the bullet! I hope nothing bad comes from the Root Android website way of rooting!
I just can't keep waiting!
difinka2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:16 AM   #511 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southwestern United States
Gender: Female
Posts: 22
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Alcatel One Touch Evolve!
Carrier: GoSmart

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Notsure I need to speak to someone...soon about rooting!

It seems each time I find someone who is making it easy to root an incred. I have another question to ask! Now I am afraid I don't understand much about anything I can't download from the play store! Was going to follow your post 2, the more detailed version of rooting but somehow, I cannot find it!
I think I am going to give up and just go to Root Android for $30. although our situation financially would be more suited to doing it myself. I just don't have the nerve without actual hand holding! I really thought I was going to do it today and I am very disappointed in myself and my lack of adventure! Oh well, just have to bite the bullet! I hope nothing bad comes from the Root Android website way of rooting!
I just can't keep waiting!
Nevermind! I can't believe it but it feels like I am going to have a nervous breakdown trying to decide if I am going to root or go to Root Android! Third option for me...do nothing!!!
Goodnight all!
D
difinka2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:24 AM   #512 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,377
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,731
Thanked 57,187 Times in 22,979 Posts
Default Re: Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

Hmmm, you might want to see this...

Root-android.org

I'm sure folks here will help, it does take a little time to come up to speed.

Remember the rules of rooting - read lots, read some more, don't panic, and if something is going wrong, stop and ask - don't google and keep trying stuff.

Most root trouble is easily cleared following that advice.
__________________
|

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Links: Site Rules / Guidelines -and- Zero Tolerance Policy (All Members Read)


For right-on help, the Thanks button is on the right of the post.
For anything out in left field, the /!\ report button is to the left.

Remember, it's our forums and we're all in this together - so let's keep it cool!

Shoot the breeze at the best new gun forum!
EarlyMon is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
Brian706 (February 3rd, 2013), dlinderaz (February 8th, 2013), OverByter (February 3rd, 2013)
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:30 AM   #513 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Brian706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,594
 
Device(s): LG Google Nexus 5 Rom: Dirty Unicorns Recovery: ***TWRP*** Retired: OG Evo, 3vo
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6,749
Thanked 6,260 Times in 3,377 Posts
Default Re: Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

I agree. The evo v section is a very active area of the site. Plenty of us are willing to help you get through this. If you want to root, i suggest doing it yourself for the knowledge.

Once you are rooted, you will inevitably want to change things. Without the understanding of what you are doing, it can be a little dangerous to be messing around with certain things. We have the excellent step by step guide and many helpful members that will answer all your questions.

Just ask anything you don't understand before starting and you'll feel confident soon and be ready to root. It will make more sense once you're actually doing it. It isn't as complicated as it seems, just a lengthy process.
Brian706 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brian706 For This Useful Post:
dlinderaz (February 8th, 2013), EarlyMon (February 3rd, 2013), OverByter (February 3rd, 2013), ramjet73 (February 3rd, 2013), remanifest (February 3rd, 2013)
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #514 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 354
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 28
Thanked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Can I substitute the Harmonia 3.17 rom for the stock odexed rom in the guide, or do I have to flash the stock odexed rom first. This was asked before, but not answered here
__________________
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com
ron scubadiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #515 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Brian706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,594
 
Device(s): LG Google Nexus 5 Rom: Dirty Unicorns Recovery: ***TWRP*** Retired: OG Evo, 3vo
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6,749
Thanked 6,260 Times in 3,377 Posts
Default Re: Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
Can I substitute the Harmonia 3.17 rom for the stock odexed rom in the guide, or do I have to flash the stock odexed rom first. This was asked before, but not answered here
Rather than flash the stock rom, i would suggest just flashing supersu. It will just root your stock that you are already on.
You can find that here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Download toward the one called UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip

You don't have to have to flash Harmonia, it's just what the author of the guide suggested. For a beginner guide it's a lot easier to tell people to download one rom to keep things simple.
ramjet73 likes this.
Brian706 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #516 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V
Carrier: None (WiFi Only)

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Fellow View Post
IIRC, once you've rooted and have superuser, you'll want a recovery. If you've gotten that far, then you can work from just the phone now. You don't need S-OFF for many things, but you need it for some. Elaborate on what you want to do.

no specific need/idea in mind, other than wiping and changing SD cards without need to connect to a PC. - Was just curious.

Right now i'm just wondering if i can exchange the stock 8GB SD card with my new 32GB SDHC without rerooting and redownloading all the apps I already have. I had wondered about making a copy of all the files from my 8GB card to the new 32GB using dd or copy in linux, for example.

I don't know how many apps are on the card as of now, but i know it's a good bit... the EVO V does not have very much built in ROM...
CharlieTango92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #517 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 354
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 28
Thanked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian706 View Post
[

Rather than flash the stock rom, i would suggest just flashing supersu. It will just root your stock that you are already on.
You can find that here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Download toward the one called UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip

You don't have to have to flash Harmonia, it's just what the author of the guide suggested. For a beginner guide it's a lot easier to tell people to download one rom to keep things simple.
I am referring to the guide at the start at this thread. Although it is possible that I read it wrong, it appears to direct flashing either the stock odexed rom, or the SuperSU you prefer, but no mention is made of Harmonia.

I want to be sure that following that guide Harmonia will work if substituted for what is recommended.
ron scubadiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #518 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Brian706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,594
 
Device(s): LG Google Nexus 5 Rom: Dirty Unicorns Recovery: ***TWRP*** Retired: OG Evo, 3vo
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6,749
Thanked 6,260 Times in 3,377 Posts
Default Re: Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
I am referring to the guide at the start at this thread. Although it is possible that I read it wrong, it appears to direct flashing either the stock odexed rom, or the SuperSU you prefer, but no mention is made of Harmonia.

I want to be sure that following that guide Harmonia will work if substituted for what is recommended.
Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. Yes you can flash harmonia in place of the stock rom. The stock rom is just suggested as a starting point and as said before, it keeps things simple suggesting one specific rom. Technically you can replace the stock rom with any rom of your choosing (well, for the most part). But yes, use harmonia if you would rather
Brian706 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #519 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 40
 
Device(s): LG Optimus Elite
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

how come when i download the sdk-tools.zip file dosnt give me an option to unzip the folder?
yungree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #520 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Brian706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,594
 
Device(s): LG Google Nexus 5 Rom: Dirty Unicorns Recovery: ***TWRP*** Retired: OG Evo, 3vo
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6,749
Thanked 6,260 Times in 3,377 Posts
Default Re: Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungree View Post
how come when i download the sdk-tools.zip file dosnt give me an option to unzip the folder?
You should just be able to right click on it and choose extract.
Brian706 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #521 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 354
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 28
Thanked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian706 View Post
Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking. Yes you can flash harmonia in place of the stock rom. The stock rom is just suggested as a starting point and as said before, it keeps things simple suggesting one specific rom. Technically you can replace the stock rom with any rom of your choosing (well, for the most part). But yes, use harmonia if you would rather
Thank you Brian. I have been running Harmonia on an Optimus V. There are lots of rom's out there but this one suites me.
Brian706 likes this.
ron scubadiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #522 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,888
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 275 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTango92 View Post
no specific need/idea in mind, other than wiping and changing SD cards without need to connect to a PC. - Was just curious.

Right now i'm just wondering if i can exchange the stock 8GB SD card with my new 32GB SDHC without rerooting and redownloading all the apps I already have. I had wondered about making a copy of all the files from my 8GB card to the new 32GB using dd or copy in linux, for example.

I don't know how many apps are on the card as of now, but i know it's a good bit... the EVO V does not have very much built in ROM...
The apps aren't stored on the SD card in their entirety. Copying the SD card and moving that info to another card isn't going to give you what you want. Try looking into Titanium Backup. It will backup all your apps and allow you restore them on a fresh ROM.

EDIT:

To clarify, the apps aren't stored on the SD card at all unless you move them there. The apps do create folders on the SD card to store the data that they generate, but the app itself installs within the ROM.
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Last edited by Palmetto Fellow; February 12th, 2013 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #523 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G Nokia 2128i
Carrier: VM, Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default re:

Went through and everything seems completely fine, but when I go to superuser and update it says: Gaining root access... fail!

And I can't do anything root with any applications..

I'm new at rooting.
Megatoaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #524 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,888
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 275 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatoaster View Post
Went through and everything seems completely fine, but when I go to superuser and update it says: Gaining root access... fail!

And I can't do anything root with any applications..

I'm new at rooting.
We're going to need some more info. Does the bootloader say unlocked? Which recovery did you install? Did you flash the superuser.zip file through the recovery, or using SDK-tools off a PC?
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Palmetto Fellow For This Useful Post:
Megatoaster (February 14th, 2013)
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #525 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G Nokia 2128i
Carrier: VM, Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Bootloader is unlocked

Flashed what the OP told me to flash, didn't work so I went off-tutorial and flashed the latest Superuser from their website, ARM.

Didn't work so I restored and I'm back to the ROM that OP posted, with no superuser now, panicked because the last step froze but I turned it on and it was fine.

Also, yes, I used SDK-Tools from my PC.


I highly prefer to do sort of a soft-root, no wire-trick, only going to be needing root access.
Megatoaster is offline  
Last edited by Megatoaster; February 14th, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #526 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,888
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 275 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatoaster View Post
Bootloader is unlocked

Flashed what the OP told me to flash, didn't work so I went off-tutorial and flashed the latest Superuser from their website, ARM.

Didn't work so I restored and I'm back to the ROM that OP posted, with no superuser now, panicked because the last step froze but I turned it on and it was fine.

Also, yes, I used SDK-Tools from my PC.


I highly prefer to do sort of a soft-root, no wire-trick, only going to be needing root access.
To clarify, when you say you went back to the ROM that op posted, are you talking about the jmz ROM? If so, that ROM already us super user.
If not, it may be easier for you to just flash that ROM.

Also, follow the guide from the second post. The first post is a little abbreviated while the second one goes into more detail.
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Palmetto Fellow For This Useful Post:
Megatoaster (February 14th, 2013)
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #527 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G Nokia 2128i
Carrier: VM, Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Yep, I used the jmz ROM

Where should I start in the second tutorial then? I have it unlocked, I've got a recovery menu that I can load zip roms from and stuff. I can remove bloatware right now and that's good because I'm rooting to try and get more battery life/performance. If you have any suggestions for that too I would like to know.

So should I go back (since I'm back to where I backed up my ROM) into recovery, clear cache, delvik cache, everything and then isntall the jmz ROM again? The first time I installed it, I got superuser and I updated it, I think it worked, it said in the app menu 'superuser' but it doesn't now. The only problem was that I did a root check and it said I didn't have root access and I couldn't use superuser and allow any apps to root.


3:32
Flashed the ROM anyway because I can reverse it if needed, stock OS, wants me to update superuser. Last time I did without using superuser in the first place and I had problems with it so I will just wait for any further instructions.
Megatoaster is offline  
Last edited by Megatoaster; February 14th, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #528 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G Nokia 2128i
Carrier: VM, Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Flashed the ROM anyway because I can reverse it if needed, jmz stock-ish OS, wants me to update superuser. Last time I did without using superuser in the first place and I had problems with it so I will just wait for any further instructions.
Megatoaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #529 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,888
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 275 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatoaster View Post
Yep, I used the jmz ROM

Where should I start in the second tutorial then? I have it unlocked, I've got a recovery menu that I can load zip roms from and stuff. I can remove bloatware right now and that's good because I'm rooting to try and get more battery life/performance. If you have any suggestions for that too I would like to know.

So should I go back (since I'm back to where I backed up my ROM) into recovery, clear cache, delvik cache, everything and then isntall the jmz ROM again? The first time I installed it, I got superuser and I updated it, I think it worked, it said in the app menu 'superuser' but it doesn't now. The only problem was that I did a root check and it said I didn't have root access and I couldn't use superuser and allow any apps to root.
When I said to use the second guide, that assumed you'd be starting from scratch. You're obviously further along than that, but I am still not sure where you are. The second post has more elaboration, so I would recommend it to anyone just starting out. You don't need to go back to step one of the second post, but I suggest you read through the second post before you move forward.

Now, to figure out where you are...

Are you on a backup of your STOCK ROM, or are you on the JMZ ROM? If you're on the JMZ ROM, and you don't have Super User, then I can't really advise you further other than to flash that ROM again...as I can't imagine being on JMZ, and NOT having Super User.

Did you make a backup as soon as you installed a recovery? Did you make this backup BEFORE you flashed JMZ? Did you restore that backup at any point? If so, then you're not currently on JMZ, you're on your original ROM.

The fastest thing you can do is flash JMZ again, but make sure you wipe all your partitions. If you install 4EXT as your recovery, there's a single click that wipes everything you need to wipe before flashing a new ROM. If you aren't on 4EXT, I can't help you with any of the recovery stuff as that's all I've used. (I did use TWRP once, but that was very early on). As soon as I made my first nandroid backup, I switched to 4EXT and haven't looked back.

EDIT:

I see you've done a few things while I was typing all that stuff above. Do you have the most recent superuser.zip file? I don't recall where I got it from, but the one I have on my SD card is
Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip.

If I recall correctly, you can flash this through your recovery, you don't need to use SDK-Tools...but again, I am sorry to not know for sure and can't remember what I did. I say flash it through recovery...as it sounds like you have a backup that you can restore right?
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Last edited by Palmetto Fellow; February 14th, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Palmetto Fellow For This Useful Post:
Megatoaster (February 14th, 2013)
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #530 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ramjet73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 1,418
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 517
Thanked 821 Times in 581 Posts
Default

I kind of lost track of where you are, but if want to restart and flash the RUU, you can follow my guide here. You will need to relock the bootloader before flashing the RUU but you can use the unlock bin file you already have in Step2.

Don't forget to download and flash the OTA after the RUU while you are still stock everything and it might be worth taking a nandroid in Step2 right after flashing 4EXT recovery so you have a backup of the stock ROM updated by the OTA.

There's no need to do Step3 if you don't want S-OFF, but now would be the perfect time if you plan to do it at all since the ROM will be stock from the RUU.

ramjet73
ramjet73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ramjet73 For This Useful Post:
Megatoaster (February 14th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #531 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G Nokia 2128i
Carrier: VM, Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Did you make a backup as soon as you installed a recovery? Did you make this backup BEFORE you flashed JMZ? Did you restore that backup at any point? If so, then you're not currently on JMZ, you're on your original ROM.

I backed up directly after making the recovery, before flashing JMZ rom.
I restored that backup after superuser wasn't working, I flashed JMZ again now and it says Superuser gained root access and it lists it in apps

BUT

For some reason no other apps can access root, like I downloaded a root checker and it says I don't have it. I'm kind of lost.
Megatoaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #532 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G Nokia 2128i
Carrier: VM, Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I have a Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip inside my ROMS folder which I tried flashing AFTER the JMZ earlier but someone said Superuser came with JMZ so I didn't flash that separately. Basically I just updated it through google play and it says it's working fine and has super user under root access apps.

Root checker just says I don't have root access and I need that for apps like adblock and custom removal stuff


Weird thing though, when I was running completely stock ROM, it would immediately say I don't have root access, now with this, it takes a few minutes with a thing saying it's taking more time to check. I THINK something with superuser should pop up and say Grant this app root? But that's not popping up and that's only what I think is supposed to happen.
Megatoaster is offline  
Last edited by Megatoaster; February 14th, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #533 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,888
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 275 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatoaster View Post
Did you make a backup as soon as you installed a recovery? Did you make this backup BEFORE you flashed JMZ? Did you restore that backup at any point? If so, then you're not currently on JMZ, you're on your original ROM.

I backed up directly after making the recovery, before flashing JMZ rom.
I restored that backup after superuser wasn't working, I flashed JMZ again now and it says Superuser gained root access and it lists it in apps

BUT

For some reason no other apps can access root, like I downloaded a root checker and it says I don't have it. I'm kind of lost.

Download this file "Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip" from here

Superuser

Put it on your SD card, then boot into recovery, and choose install from zip, or flash from zip...whatever your recovery calls it.

Then, install that zip file. It's the latest version of SU.

You should be updated and ready to go. Test out superuser with the checker app, and let us know how it went.

I am glad to hear that you know how to restore your backup...this almost sorta means you can't mess things up too badly, as you have something to go back to.

EDIT: You can also follow RamJet's post that will start the procedure all over again.
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #534 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G Nokia 2128i
Carrier: VM, Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Not sure if you'll see the edit I made so I will just post it in a second post before proceeding.

(Taken from edit):

Root checker just says I don't have root access and I need that for apps like adblock and custom removal stuff


Weird thing though, when I was running completely stock ROM, it would immediately say I don't have root access, now with this, it takes a few minutes with a thing saying it's taking more time to check. I THINK something with superuser should pop up and say Grant this app root? But that's not popping up and that's only what I think is supposed to happen.

I'm using Root Checker by JOEYKRIM
and Adaway from Dominik Schurmann

Maybe those are not supported or I'm just overthinking this.

Anyway, last time when I had JMZ and this exact thing happened, I flashed superuser and then it wasn't allowed root.
I'll try it again but I'm just going to wait for a response first just in case.

Also, I used that same exact .zip in case you thought I used a different one.


I should be able to understand every step you want me to do, I've done a lot of similar things like rooting a 1001 psp clipping that IC04 and I'm in college with computer science and networking, I just never tried anything with android. Once I get this down I won't be able to stop though I'll probably end up here helping other people out and trying out other things XD.
Megatoaster is offline  
Last edited by Megatoaster; February 14th, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #535 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,888
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 275 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatoaster View Post
Not sure if you'll see the edit I made so I will just post it in a second post before proceeding.

(Taken from edit):

Root checker just says I don't have root access and I need that for apps like adblock and custom removal stuff


Weird thing though, when I was running completely stock ROM, it would immediately say I don't have root access, now with this, it takes a few minutes with a thing saying it's taking more time to check. I THINK something with superuser should pop up and say Grant this app root? But that's not popping up and that's only what I think is supposed to happen.

I'm using Root Checker by JOEYKRIM
and Adaway from Dominik Schurmann

Maybe those are not supported or I'm just overthinking this.

Anyway, last time when I had JMZ and this exact thing happened, I flashed superuser and then it wasn't allowed root.
I'll try it again but I'm just going to wait for a response first just in case.

Also, I used that same exact .zip in case you thought I used a different one.


I should be able to understand every step you want me to do, I've done a lot of similar things like rooting a 1001 psp clipping that IC04 and I'm in college with computer science and networking, I just never tried anything with android. Once I get this down I won't be able to stop though I'll probably end up here helping other people out and trying out other things XD.


I actually never flashed that superuser zip on the jmz ROM, perhaps that's causing a conflict? I didn't use jmz at all. I flashed superuser on my own stock ROM after unlocking the bootloader and flashing a recovery.
Perhaps try going back to your backup and flash the zip to that?
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #536 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G Nokia 2128i
Carrier: VM, Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Okay, well currently since the phone only lasts ~6 hours, it's dead but I will definitely do that asap and get back to here about it.
Megatoaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #537 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G Nokia 2128i
Carrier: VM, Verizon

Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Okay, so instead of anything superuser, because I have so much trouble with that, I went back and got my backed up stock OS, booted that and then flashed the latest SuperSU, restarted and it works fine.

I guess my phone just didn't like superuser at all and using SuperSU worked 100% perfectly. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't ******* EVERYTHING up anyway and hopefully if someone else was having my problem they'll try out SuperSU instead.
Megatoaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #538 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southwestern United States
Gender: Female
Posts: 22
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Alcatel One Touch Evolve!
Carrier: GoSmart

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default In too deep!

Hi everyone, First I want to say thank you to everyone being so supportive with all help in all things.
Secondly, I am afraid I am in over my head and even after going to the step by step instructions, I fear I lack the basic understanding which really seems like second nature to most of the others trying to complete this task.
Unfortunately, I must say, for the first time that I miss having someone with better understanding for commands and how to direct them!
You all gave it the college try and for that I thank you so much!!!
Talk to you soon, Thanks again,
Diana
difinka2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #539 (permalink)
Member
 
FoxyDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Right here, Right now!
Gender: Male
Posts: 396
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 2013 - CM11 Element X Kernel Asus Nexus 7 (Retired) LG Optimus Elite(retired)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 100
Thanked 58 Times in 47 Posts
Default

once i get to step 4 it says error devivce not found but i have done everything correctly and i have the drivers installed??
FoxyDrew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #540 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Brian706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,594
 
Device(s): LG Google Nexus 5 Rom: Dirty Unicorns Recovery: ***TWRP*** Retired: OG Evo, 3vo
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6,749
Thanked 6,260 Times in 3,377 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuber View Post
once i get to step 4 it says error devivce not found but i have done everything correctly and i have the drivers installed??
If you are sure you have the drivers all situated, then there are only a few other things it could be.

-Make sure USB debugging is enabled in your settings
-Try a different cable and/or usb port
-not likely, but a bad charging port on the phone
Brian706 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #541 (permalink)
Member
 
FoxyDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Right here, Right now!
Gender: Male
Posts: 396
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 2013 - CM11 Element X Kernel Asus Nexus 7 (Retired) LG Optimus Elite(retired)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 100
Thanked 58 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian706 View Post
If you are sure you have the drivers all situated, then there are only a few other things it could be.

-Make sure USB debugging is enabled in your settings
-Try a different cable and/or usb port
-not likely, but a bad charging port on the phone
well i installed htc sync and then reinstalled it wouldnt that have taken care of the drivers. And if it makes a difference im on windows 8
FoxyDrew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #542 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Brian706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,594
 
Device(s): LG Google Nexus 5 Rom: Dirty Unicorns Recovery: ***TWRP*** Retired: OG Evo, 3vo
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6,749
Thanked 6,260 Times in 3,377 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuber View Post
well i installed htc sync and then reinstalled it wouldnt that have taken care of the drivers. And if it makes a difference im on windows 8
Ahh yes, windows 8. Many people have problems with windows 8!
I have seen ramjet post some alternate drivers (or something) for Windows 8 but can't remember where to find them. I will send him a message and ask him to come take a look!
Brian706 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #543 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ramjet73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 1,418
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 517
Thanked 821 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuber View Post
well i installed htc sync and then reinstalled it wouldnt that have taken care of the drivers. And if it makes a difference im on windows 8
Try this guide for getting the HTC drivers installed on Windows 8.

ramjet73
ramjet73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ramjet73 For This Useful Post:
Brian706 (February 15th, 2013), FoxyDrew (February 15th, 2013)
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #544 (permalink)
Member
 
FoxyDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Right here, Right now!
Gender: Male
Posts: 396
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 2013 - CM11 Element X Kernel Asus Nexus 7 (Retired) LG Optimus Elite(retired)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 100
Thanked 58 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Sorry i have another problem again in step 4 im already in bootloader on the phone and its still connected when i type "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" into command promt
it hangs on "waiting for device"?? thanks for the help. I have never had to go through such a crazy process just to root a phone before lol.
FoxyDrew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #545 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Brian706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,594
 
Device(s): LG Google Nexus 5 Rom: Dirty Unicorns Recovery: ***TWRP*** Retired: OG Evo, 3vo
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6,749
Thanked 6,260 Times in 3,377 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuber View Post
Sorry i have another problem again in step 4 im already in bootloader on the phone and its still connected when i type "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" into command promt
it hangs on "waiting for device"?? thanks for the help. I have never had to go through such a crazy process just to root a phone before lol.

Are you in fastboot mode? Does your phone screen say FASTBOOT USB in red letters?

If it is just on the main bootloader screen select fastboot by using the volume keys to navigate and the power button to select fastboot.

or type adb reboot bootloader into the command prompt and that should put you right into fastboot usb mode.
Brian706 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #546 (permalink)
Member
 
FoxyDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Right here, Right now!
Gender: Male
Posts: 396
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 2013 - CM11 Element X Kernel Asus Nexus 7 (Retired) LG Optimus Elite(retired)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 100
Thanked 58 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian706 View Post
Are you in fastboot mode? Does your phone screen say FASTBOOT USB in red letters?

If it is just on the main bootloader screen select fastboot by using the volume keys to navigate and the power button to select fastboot.

or type adb reboot bootloader into the command prompt and that should put you right into fastboot usb mode.
No i had fastboot shut off. But thanks i said screw my computer cuz it had too many issues im using my friends wich runs windows 7 hopfully ill be good
FoxyDrew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #547 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,888
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 275 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuber View Post
No i had fastboot shut off. But thanks i said screw my computer cuz it had too many issues im using my friends wich runs windows 7 hopfully ill be good
Just to clarify something, HTC refers to two different and distinct things as fastboot. There is an option inside the ROM to enable to disable fastboot. It's under SETTINGS/POWER. You want this one disabled for pretty much everything. It's more like sleep mode (hibernate) in a Windows environment. It allows you to boot up faster as it doesn't fully turn the phone "off".

The FastBoot that Bryan is referring to is a function of the bootloader.
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Palmetto Fellow For This Useful Post:
Brian706 (February 17th, 2013), EarlyMon (February 16th, 2013)
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #548 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G
Carrier: virgin mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default flashing other rom.

hey i want to root it, i was wondering does anyone is having isues now to root it?.
if i do this whole process but instead of flashing the stock rom or su patch(what is it btw?), can i flash cm10 doing the exact same thing as step 7?
does anyone bricked his phone while doing that? and i heard about a unbrick project which actually may work. i dont have the phone yet but i want to read this much times as possible so i wont do something stupid.

i alraeady rooted the lg optimus slider , but never flashed any rom exept the stock one
....
nastagol is offline  
Last edited by nastagol; February 18th, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #549 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Brian706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,594
 
Device(s): LG Google Nexus 5 Rom: Dirty Unicorns Recovery: ***TWRP*** Retired: OG Evo, 3vo
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6,749
Thanked 6,260 Times in 3,377 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastagol View Post
hey i want to root it, i was wondering does anyone is having isues now to root it?.
if i do this whole process but instead of flashing the stock rom or su patch(what is it btw?), can i flash cm10 doing the exact same thing as step 7?
does anyone bricked his phone while doing that? and i heard about a unbrick project which actually may work. i dont have the phone yet but i want to read this much times as possible so i wont do something stupid.

i alraeady rooted the lg optimus slider , but never flashed any rom exept the stock one
....
It's very difficult to brick this phone.

To answer your question, you will not be able to just flash CM10 at step 7.
CM10 requires a downgraded hboot. You have to complete the optional s-off via the wire trick to downgrade your hboot. Once you've done that, you can flash CM10
Brian706 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #550 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G
Carrier: virgin mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian706 View Post
It's very difficult to brick this phone.

To answer your question, you will not be able to just flash CM10 at step 7.
CM10 requires a downgraded hboot. You have to complete the optional s-off via the wire trick to downgrade your hboot. Once you've done that, you can flash CM10
ok thank you but, once did all these steps do we need to i dont know stupid question here but, do we need to remove the other rom or something?
nastagol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO V 4G > EVO V 4G - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.