Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Fascinate > Fascinate - Support and Troubleshooting

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,816
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5, Note 4
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 141
Thanked 813 Times in 428 Posts
Default Email notification led?

Just got Fascinate for my wife, setting it up now. Once of the things I love on my DX, whenever screen is off and I get an email or vmail, I get a blinking notification green led at the top of the phone, above the screen. Looking closely at Fascinate, I do see it has such led as well, but I can't find it anywhere in the setup where I can enable email notification through that LED. The only option I see is to display in notification bar, but you can't obviously see it if phone screen is off. Any idea where to enable it? Or do I have to go with an aftermarket email program for this? Please advice...

Advertisements
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 197
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Just got Fascinate for my wife, setting it up now. Once of the things I love on my DX, whenever screen is off and I get an email or vmail, I get a blinking notification green led at the top of the phone, above the screen. Looking closely at Fascinate, I do see it has such led as well, but I can't find it anywhere in the setup where I can enable email notification through that LED. The only option I see is to display in notification bar, but you can't obviously see it if phone screen is off. Any idea where to enable it? Or do I have to go with an aftermarket email program for this? Please advice...
It doesn't have a notification LED, those are sensors. You can use NOLED from the market, works fairly well.
Gibbyson is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gibbyson For This Useful Post:
twister6 (April 26th, 2011)
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,816
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5, Note 4
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 141
Thanked 813 Times in 428 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbyson View Post
It doesn't have a notification LED, those are sensors. You can use NOLED from the market, works fairly well.
So it will work even with screen off, that is NOLED will display those custom notification icons while the screen is off?
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 197
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
So it will work even with screen off, that is NOLED will display those custom notification icons while the screen is off?
Yeah, it will flash an icon on the screen on a set interval that you can adjust. Due to screen utilization it is going to decrease battery life, but it will give you the notification that you are looking for.
Gibbyson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,816
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5, Note 4
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 141
Thanked 813 Times in 428 Posts
Default

Appreciate your feedback on that! Since I got your attention would you be able to recommend any battery optimization app as well? On Fascinate it has just an option "power optimization" or something like that. My DX has more options (part of motoblur, I guess?) to configure turning the data off at specific time period, optimizing brightness in more details, etc. Just wondering if there is a good app that works for Fascinate to optimize battery, even in stand by? I also miss an option in email delivery setup for data push versus data fetch. I guess no workaround of that? Thanks!!! Really appreciate your help!!!
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 197
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Appreciate your feedback on that! Since I got your attention would you be able to recommend any battery optimization app as well? On Fascinate it has just an option "power optimization" or something like that. My DX has more options (part of motoblur, I guess?) to configure turning the data off at specific time period, optimizing brightness in more details, etc. Just wondering if there is a good app that works for Fascinate to optimize battery, even in stand by? I also miss an option in email delivery setup for data push versus data fetch. I guess no workaround of that? Thanks!!! Really appreciate your help!!!
I use app killer, and the setting to autokill when screen is off. Best bet is to head to the market, download and try some, and see which one you like most, then get the paid version of that app (it always comes with more features). The one i use won't toggle your data for you, but it will kill background apps that tend to drain your battery. There is other stuff out there that is a lot better i am sure, but this one works for me, so i stick with it.... the beauty of android!
Gibbyson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
s44
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 313
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Default

BLN is a more elegant solution than NoLED, if you're willing to go custom kernel. Custom kernels will also allow undervolting, which is about the only real way to improve battery life (after tuning wifi/screen settings). Task killers are counterproductive on modern Android versions.

There's no built-in app to schedule data, etc. I use Tasker which can do this and everything else, but there's a bit of a learning curve.
s44 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,816
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5, Note 4
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 141
Thanked 813 Times in 428 Posts
Default

I also remember reading in other forum ATK actually drains your battery and causes issues by killing services that could crash/reboot the phone, especially in 2.2. I have been using successfully Fast Reboot app. It doesn't kill apps, but clears RAM. Really see the improvement, although have to do it manually.

BLN sounds like a solution when rooted. No plans to do that, yet. Will give a shot to NOLED for now. I read somewhere that with No Lock app, there is some config where you can wake the phone up by hitting return button instead of power? But I think you need a condition where either email or vmail or txt indicator is on.
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 197
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
I also remember reading in other forum ATK actually drains your battery and causes issues by killing services that could crash/reboot the phone, especially in 2.2. I have been using successfully Fast Reboot app. It doesn't kill apps, but clears RAM. Really see the improvement, although have to do it manually.

BLN sounds like a solution when rooted. No plans to do that, yet. Will give a shot to NOLED for now. I read somewhere that with No Lock app, there is some config where you can wake the phone up by hitting return button instead of power? But I think you need a condition where either email or vmail or txt indicator is on.
Haha, there is always potential to kill stuff you aren't supposed to, but once you get your ignore list in working order it should do alright. It has increased by battery life quite a bit.
Gibbyson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nunyazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 644
 
Device(s): Fascinate (rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 76
Thanked 91 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Task killers are not a good idea for this phone. The task will just start up again and again....
__________________
Samsung Fascinate [Froyo ED04]/[Community ROM]/[Voodoo]
nunyazz is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 32
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I actually just downloaded an app called Screen Filter that allows you to set the screen brightness to well below Android's minimum. It's great for browsing your phone in a dark room, but I assume will also help greatly with battery life, as the display is consistently the biggest battery hog on my Fascinate.
rowuncw is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rowuncw For This Useful Post:
JFeisty (May 4th, 2011)
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 26
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
BLN sounds like a solution when rooted. No plans to do that, yet. Will give a shot to NOLED for now. I read somewhere that with No Lock app, there is some config where you can wake the phone up by hitting return button instead of power? But I think you need a condition where either email or vmail or txt indicator is on.
I love NOLED! Even better now since it uses the program icons. If you use small icons your battery will last longer. The Fascinate screen only uses energy where the screen is displaying something. Black uses none. Changing background to black will also help.

Any time you get a NOLED notification on the screen, you can use the home button to wake the phone instead of power.

I also LOVE Handcent for SMS! Even when the display is off you can have the message popup AND reply without having to do anything OR unlock the phone! There may be others that do this, but I'm happy with it
TravisZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate (:-D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisZ View Post
I love NOLED! Even better now since it uses the program icons. If you use small icons your battery will last longer. The Fascinate screen only uses energy where the screen is displaying something. Black uses none. Changing background to black will also help.

Any time you get a NOLED notification on the screen, you can use the home button to wake the phone instead of power.

I also LOVE Handcent for SMS! Even when the display is off you can have the message popup AND reply without having to do anything OR unlock the phone! There may be others that do this, but I'm happy with it
Cant seem to get HC to work w google voice- is that normal?
II Kings 9:20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,816
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5, Note 4
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 141
Thanked 813 Times in 428 Posts
Default

Anybody got NOLED to work with your ISP email (pop3)? I can get it to work with gmail, voice mail, sms, etc. but it doesn't trigger notification whenever I get email from my pop3 account. Any trick? I have contacted NOLED developer, got a very prompt reply, and he has been trying to help me out but no luck so far. I can do a test from the setup where it shows me floating email icon, so it can recognize the trigger, but whenever I enable NOLED and get email it never shows up on the screen. Any suggestions?
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Fascinate > Fascinate - Support and Troubleshooting
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.