Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > T-Mobile G1 > G1 - Support
G1 - Support Support forum for the G1.

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 68
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Adding a new phone number to an existing contact?

I initially created my Contracts on my G1 by exporting them to Google from my old Blackberry, and then by synching them from there to my G1. Now, I want to add another phone number to an existing Contact, and I can't figure out how to do it on the G1.

I can invoke Edit -> Edit contact, but I can't find any option to add another phone number. All I seem to be able to do is change or delete the existing numbers that are already associated with that contact.

I suppose I can edit the contacts in Gmail and sync them again, but I don't want to do this via sync, if at all possible. My contacts are private and I don't want them resident on a public service like Gmail (after I used Gmail to initialize the contacts on my G1, I deleted them from there).

I can't believe that there wouldn't be a way to add a new phone number to an existing contact, so I must be missing something obvious, although I have searched the user guide and various places on the net (including here), and I couldn't find any description of how to do this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might be able to give me.
.

Advertisements
HippoMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoMan View Post
I initially created my Contracts on my G1 by exporting them to Google from my old Blackberry, and then by synching them from there to my G1. Now, I want to add another phone number to an existing Contact, and I can't figure out how to do it on the G1.

I can invoke Edit -> Edit contact, but I can't find any option to add another phone number. All I seem to be able to do is change or delete the existing numbers that are already associated with that contact.

I suppose I can edit the contacts in Gmail and sync them again, but I don't want to do this via sync, if at all possible. My contacts are private and I don't want them resident on a public service like Gmail (after I used Gmail to initialize the contacts on my G1, I deleted them from there).

I can't believe that there wouldn't be a way to add a new phone number to an existing contact, so I must be missing something obvious, although I have searched the user guide and various places on the net (including here), and I couldn't find any description of how to do this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might be able to give me.
.

Edit the contact then press the Menu Key | More info | Select the label type you want to add phone, email,im, post addy, etc ... Assuming Phone then select the appropriate label that will add a new item to the contact sheet where you can add the new info ...
__________________
Help Us: Submit FAQ's You have answered over and over! Will add them to OUR FAQ LIB. Check out our FAQ's.... Also Check out our Tag Search. \\\ Running 2 G1's & a MT3G, Vibrant(rooted), Galaxy S: <<< OLD New >>> JUST Samsung S3-32GB & LG GSlate Tablet /// Link for --> G1 Dream ROOT GUIDE ///// Link for --> UN-ROOT GUIDE
.
justjimjpc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 68
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjimjpc View Post
Edit the contact then press the Menu Key | More info | Select the label type you want to add phone, email,im, post addy, etc ... Assuming Phone then select the appropriate label that will add a new item to the contact sheet where you can add the new info ...
Aha!

The part that confused me was that I have to select the label before adding the number. I incorrectly assumed that the label selection had to do only with existing numbers.

Thank you very much!
.
HippoMan is offline  
Last edited by HippoMan; May 22nd, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Add a new MOBILE number

I have the HTC Hero (G2), and am using it on Vodafone. I've imported all my contacts from my n95 8gb into my new Hero phone.

My problem is this:

When I try to edit the contact, it doesn't let me add multiple MOBILE numbers, but allows me to add Work, Home, Pager labels! The Mobile label simply doesn't come up in the list of options when adding a new number.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?
akadir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,013
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 78 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadir View Post
I have the HTC Hero (G2), and am using it on Vodafone. I've imported all my contacts from my n95 8gb into my new Hero phone.

My problem is this:

When I try to edit the contact, it doesn't let me add multiple MOBILE numbers, but allows me to add Work, Home, Pager labels! The Mobile label simply doesn't come up in the list of options when adding a new number.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?
add the number, wait five minutes, go to any PC/Mac, log into your gmail account and switch the label in the contacts section.
punkzanyj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkzanyj View Post
add the number, wait five minutes, go to any PC/Mac, log into your gmail account and switch the label in the contacts section.
Worked brilliantly, thanks!
akadir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
add phone number, existing contact, not via sync


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > T-Mobile G1 > G1 - Support
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.