Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > T-Mobile G1 > G1 - Support
G1 - Support Support forum for the G1.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default noob question about the SD situation

ok so really, i just got my G1 yesteday. i love it yesterday. while i've installed custom OS's and done stuff like that on my old windows mobile phone, i kind of just wanted to stick with the regular factory G1 (at laest for now) and not root it...

so i have a 2gb microSD and i was thinking about switching over to an 8gb one so I can add a nice sized mp3 collection as well...

i have 2 questions:

1) let's say i start downloading some apps and games, putting on mp3s and taking pictures, etc etc etc in the meantime until i get the 8gb card, will i just be able to transfer over everything from the 2gb to the 8gb card (i'm guessing just temporarily copy it all over to a folder on my pc and then copy from there over to the new 8gb card), and everything will be just the same as it was.

2) and i know this makes question 1 sound kinda dumb, but i'm under the impression from reading the forums that it's impossible (without rooting the phone) to specify where apps and games and whatnot download to... so what exactly happens when you have a whole bunch of stuff downloaded? i mean i haven't even really gone crazy with downloading games and apps yet, and i can tell this is going to be an addiction haha. so does my internal memory just get full and then the system gets bogged down, and all you can do is delete the apps (and redownload them later i suppose) to free up space when you have multiple gbs of freespace sitting on the sd card? kinda a little confused on that one... can anyone help me out here?

and yes i am searching the forums right now but not quite getting the answers i'm trying to find... thanks for the help.

jewishdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewishdave View Post
ok so really, i just got my G1 yesteday. i love it yesterday. while i've installed custom OS's and done stuff like that on my old windows mobile phone, i kind of just wanted to stick with the regular factory G1 (at laest for now) and not root it...

so i have a 2gb microSD and i was thinking about switching over to an 8gb one so I can add a nice sized mp3 collection as well...

i have 2 questions:

1) let's say i start downloading some apps and games, putting on mp3s and taking pictures, etc etc etc in the meantime until i get the 8gb card, will i just be able to transfer over everything from the 2gb to the 8gb card (i'm guessing just temporarily copy it all over to a folder on my pc and then copy from there over to the new 8gb card), and everything will be just the same as it was.

2) and i know this makes question 1 sound kinda dumb, but i'm under the impression from reading the forums that it's impossible (without rooting the phone) to specify where apps and games and whatnot download to... so what exactly happens when you have a whole bunch of stuff downloaded? i mean i haven't even really gone crazy with downloading games and apps yet, and i can tell this is going to be an addiction haha. so does my internal memory just get full and then the system gets bogged down, and all you can do is delete the apps (and redownload them later i suppose) to free up space when you have multiple gbs of freespace sitting on the sd card? kinda a little confused on that one... can anyone help me out here?

and yes i am searching the forums right now but not quite getting the answers i'm trying to find... thanks for the help.
No 1.) Just to be prepared Format your SDCards as FAT32 ... and yes you can copy from SDCard to folder on PC and then copy back onto another SDCARD..
using the data cable ...

No. 2.) You don't get to choose where things are downloaded to ... The OS system puts Free Apps in one sytem memory dir ... Paid apps in a different system memory dir .... Music and data created by many apps are stored on the SDCARD ...

Eventually as you use up internal memory from Downloading apps ... you will start to ge LowMemory warnings... You can uninstall apps to make room for new apps by deleting other apps ....

That is why many of us have rooted our phones and use AppsTOSD and store apps and Dalvic-Cache on the SDCARD ... this will also help the Phone OS run faster if you were in a low memory condition before ...
__________________
Help Us: Submit FAQ's You have answered over and over! Will add them to OUR FAQ LIB. Check out our FAQ's.... Also Check out our Tag Search. \\\ Running 2 G1's & a MT3G, Vibrant(rooted), Galaxy S: <<< OLD New >>> JUST Samsung S3-32GB & LG GSlate Tablet /// Link for --> G1 Dream ROOT GUIDE ///// Link for --> UN-ROOT GUIDE
.
justjimjpc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hmm... so maybe i should just have some fun with it and then root it once i get my 8gb card.

hey another question, i actually just hooked my phone up to usb and it's not recognizing the phone... it charges but the phone doesn't recognize that its a usb connection and winxp doesn't recognize the phone. strange? i'm not using the cable that came with the phone but it is a usb to mini-usb cable that's worked before on other phones for me... any idea?
jewishdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewishdave View Post
hmm... so maybe i should just have some fun with it and then root it once i get my 8gb card.

hey another question, i actually just hooked my phone up to usb and it's not recognizing the phone... it charges but the phone doesn't recognize that its a usb connection and winxp doesn't recognize the phone. strange? i'm not using the cable that came with the phone but it is a usb to mini-usb cable that's worked before on other phones for me... any idea?
Use the Cable that came with the Phone ... It allows charging and Data access ...

When you hook up the cable you can use the Data feature ..
A USB symbol will appear in the Notification Bar at the top of the Display ... open that bar and select the USB ... and then Select MOUNT .. that allows the PC to see the SDcard as a USB Drive ... just like any USB memory stick, thumb drive ...
justjimjpc is offline  
Last edited by justjimjpc; June 12th, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

thanks. one more question then i'll leave you alone for now. when i was taking a look at the rooting guide (which i'm going to wait on for a little bit) all i saw was all the custom versions of the OS that are available. is there one that's just basically the exact same as 1.5 but with the ability to use app2sd?

thanks. i promise its the last question for now! :-)
jewishdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
justjimjpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Posts: 10,560
 
Device(s): G1(2ea) 1 rooted, MT3G v1.0, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung III, LG SLATE Tablet
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewishdave View Post
thanks. one more question then i'll leave you alone for now. when i was taking a look at the rooting guide (which i'm going to wait on for a little bit) all i saw was all the custom versions of the OS that are available. is there one that's just basically the exact same as 1.5 but with the ability to use app2sd?

thanks. i promise its the last question for now! :-)
There are several version of 1.5 or (cupcake) ... I use one that is very stable (see my signature) ...

Once you root an of the various build can potentially allow AppsToSD ... but some do not ... so care in choosing is important ...
justjimjpc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,013
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 74 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewishdave View Post
hmm... so maybe i should just have some fun with it and then root it once i get my 8gb card.

hey another question, i actually just hooked my phone up to usb and it's not recognizing the phone... it charges but the phone doesn't recognize that its a usb connection and winxp doesn't recognize the phone. strange? i'm not using the cable that came with the phone but it is a usb to mini-usb cable that's worked before on other phones for me... any idea?
Any USB to USB-mini cable should work, I''ve been using the same one for EVERYTHING for a couple years now, and use it for my G1 as well. But perhaps yours is having issues.
punkzanyj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
sd apps games, sdcard, sdcard apps, sdcard format


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > T-Mobile G1 > G1 - Support
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.