Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Prevail > Galaxy Prevail - All Things Root

Like Tree13Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default Koumajutsu's SD-Card Partition Tool for Prevail

Koumajutsu here once again, with a gift

SDparter.apk version 1.1

My tool for partitioning SD-cards.

This is roughly based on 51dusty's sdparted 0.6 script for CyanogenMod with a few key differences.

1) This is an Android App and not a script.
2) This does not need to be run through a terminal while in Recovery
3) It carries what tools it needs with it (parted, tune2fs, e2fsck binaries)
4) This only supports FAT32, EXT4 and SWAP partitions (EXT2 and EXT3 have been omitted for sake of simplicity)

This has been tested with the Samsung Galaxy Prevail, but may work with other devices.

SCREENSHOTS! (coming soon)

Requirements: Root, EXT4 support, Swap Support
File system supports are only required to create those partition types. You should be able to use this to create partitions that your system supports so long as you don't try to make partitions you don't support (I.E. if you only have EXT4 support, do not expect swap partitions to work and not cause FCs)

Unlike a lot of other people's apps out there, I'm going to suggest that Developers include this app as a system app in their ROMs if it works on their device. All I ask is you drop my name somewhere

Changelog:
1.0: Initial Release
1.1: Fixed Force Close when parsing non-whole numbers into integers. Fixed potential Force Close if app is run without an SD-card installed. Added checks for each binary individually


Advertisements
Koumajutsu is offline  
Last edited by Koumajutsu; June 19th, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Koumajutsu For This Useful Post:
76ford90lx (June 20th, 2012), AndyKip (June 19th, 2012), Bloodawn (June 19th, 2012), bsoplinger (July 21st, 2012), cheech226 (September 8th, 2012), cwhatever (June 19th, 2012), Hdjc28 (July 5th, 2012), hroark13 (June 20th, 2012), hyusa (June 19th, 2012), irishobo (June 19th, 2012), J6Remy (June 19th, 2012), jacobbrandon19 (June 21st, 2012), kdraw44 (June 19th, 2012), kristopher5823 (June 19th, 2012), Lordvincent 90 (June 19th, 2012), Mardon (July 24th, 2012), mjhealy1978 (May 19th, 2013), ninjarabbit (June 19th, 2012), palmtree5 (June 19th, 2012), patsfann (June 23rd, 2012), Sankofa416 (July 1st, 2012), SirNoOb (June 24th, 2012), Slayer72 (June 20th, 2012), t4nkee (June 19th, 2012), The~Skater~187 (June 19th, 2012), tivofool (June 19th, 2012), Tugdaturtle (June 19th, 2012), Twisted21 (February 24th, 2013), Wallago67 (July 31st, 2013), wyelkins (June 20th, 2012), Zenwafer (July 19th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 418
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 154
Thanked 180 Times in 98 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to kristopher5823 Send a message via Skype™ to kristopher5823 Kristopher5823
Default

Making everything so easy thanks
__________________
Just Glad to help :....Be nice hit thanks

Donations appreciated but not required
kristopher5823 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,662
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,400
Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,112 Posts
Default

Great idea!
__________________
Find a post helpful? Hit
See spam or something offensive? Hit
New to the site? Site Rules/Guidelines and Introductions
Not a member yet but want to join? Join here!
Want to chat with staff?Here
Want to chat with mods?Here
palmtree5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

pretty slick when open up app it will tell you how you are partioned now.
__________________
EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON/TODAY IS THE LAST DAY BEFORE TOMORROW SO USE IT WISELY !!!!!!!!! Thanks Button Is The Right Thing To Do!!
The One Who Dies With The Most Toys WINS
At First If You Don't Succeed Try Try Again & Ask"S
http://androidforums.com/Site-Rules/Guidelines
cwhatever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,244
 
Device(s): SGS2- GB08, Samsung Prevail- CTMod 3.75
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 154
Thanked 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Getting FC on CTMod3.68.

Redownloaded and reinstalled same thing.


It gets past asking for Superuser then dies.



edit: had kouma settings on SSM, changed to data rebooted and same issue. Phone acting up. Going to save SD data, wipe everything and reinstall.
kevincott is offline  
Last edited by kevincott; June 19th, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincott View Post
Getting FC on CTMod3.68.

Redownloaded and reinstalled same thing.


It gets past asking for Superuser then dies.
i'm still on 3.6
cwhatever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sunny Vacation Supporter!
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,662
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 2,400
Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincott View Post
Getting FC on CTMod3.68.

Redownloaded and reinstalled same thing.


It gets past asking for Superuser then dies.



edit: had kouma settings on SSM, changed to data rebooted and same issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhatever View Post
i'm still on 3.6
I'm having FC issues but I'm on 3.6

EDIT: Just updated to 3.68 and it works. It could be the way I installed it. When I did this on 3.6, I pushed the apk to /system/app using adb. This time I used adb install to do this and it works, no FCs
palmtree5 is offline  
Last edited by palmtree5; June 19th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
I'm having FC issues but I'm on 3.6
i just did the drill and opened up and worked fine, even clicked on stuff to check out and worked fine, don't know? enen just oped up again works fine.
cwhatever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,244
 
Device(s): SGS2- GB08, Samsung Prevail- CTMod 3.75
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 154
Thanked 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Fell back to a CWM CTMod3.6 and SDparter works.

Will try 3.68 again later.
kevincott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincott View Post
Fell back to a CWM CTMod3.6 and SDparter works.

Will try 3.68 again later.
well thats good but wierd, palmtree5 said he was on 3.6 and wouldn't work for him, wierd?
cwhatever is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I'm on half ass 2, with fe16 baseband, kk 2.5. Just installed the sdparter for shits and giggles. Fc's on me. Any help?
MaNiMaL4187 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNiMaL4187 View Post
I'm on half ass 2, with fe16 baseband, kk 2.5. Just installed the sdparter for shits and giggles. Fc's on me. Any help?
got no clue, maybe way installed? kevi no go on one and worked on another and then someone else on same and no go, mine went first time.
cwhatever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNiMaL4187 View Post
I'm on half ass 2, with fe16 baseband, kk 2.5. Just installed the sdparter for shits and giggles. Fc's on me. Any help?
please provide a logcat capture.
and as much detail as possible.
i.e.: the size of your sdcard, and the size of your current partitions and their filesystems

just saying that it force closes is of no use to anyone
ninjarabbit and DRIVINDOGS like this.
Koumajutsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

here is a screenshot.


2012-06-19 16.15.27.png
cwhatever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bloodawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,176
 
Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 244
Thanked 2,658 Times in 882 Posts
Default

nice bro. good work as always.
__________________
Goo - Github
Bloodawn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,244
 
Device(s): SGS2- GB08, Samsung Prevail- CTMod 3.75
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 154
Thanked 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
please provide a logcat capture.
and as much detail as possible.
i.e.: the size of your sdcard, and the size of your current partitions and their filesystems

just saying that it force closes is of no use to anyone
I am accepting that it didn't run for me thru a problem on my end. After I repartioned the SD (CWM) and erased all data, worked fine on reinstallation.
kevincott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincott View Post
I am accepting that it didn't run for me thru a problem on my end. After I repartioned the SD (CWM) and erased all data, worked fine on reinstallation.
I still wonder what caused you to have FCs
If it ever happens again, please get a logcat containing the error.
If I can figure out what happened, I can make the app provide useful feedback rather than just decide that it can't run because it read something it didn't like
Koumajutsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,244
 
Device(s): SGS2- GB08, Samsung Prevail- CTMod 3.75
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 154
Thanked 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
I still wonder what caused you to have FCs
If it ever happens again, please get a logcat containing the error.
If I can figure out what happened, I can make the app provide useful feedback rather than just decide that it can't run because it read something it didn't like

Will do. After fresh install of CTMod 3.68 SDparter works.
kevincott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
hyusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Was going to upgrade to the new CTmod, so I threw this is the systems app folder to have it install along with everything else. Tried to launch it and got an FC. I'm using the stock SD card. Here's the logcat. SDparter logcat - Pastebin.com

I've never outputted one before, so I wasn't exactly sure what you needed. I hope this helps you help me.
hyusa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyusa View Post
Was going to upgrade to the new CTmod, so I threw this is the systems app folder to have it install along with everything else. Tried to launch it and got an FC. I'm using the stock SD card. Here's the logcat. SDparter logcat - Pastebin.com

I've never outputted one before, so I wasn't exactly sure what you needed. I hope this helps you help me.
cool, I'll have a fix shortly.

The problem was related to my assumption that I would receive partition sizes from the system in whole numbers.
Code:
E/AndroidRuntime( 3444): Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: unable to parse '64.4' as integer
is where I found a decimal point and choked
Koumajutsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koumajutsu For This Useful Post:
hyusa (June 19th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
hyusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

^sweet, glad I could be of assistance, haha.
hyusa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

1.1 is up
Koumajutsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Koumajutsu For This Useful Post:
hyusa (June 19th, 2012), irishobo (June 19th, 2012), kdraw44 (June 19th, 2012), kristopher5823 (June 19th, 2012)
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
cool, I'll have a fix shortly.

The problem was related to my assumption that I would receive partition sizes from the system in whole numbers.
Code:
E/AndroidRuntime( 3444): Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: unable to parse '64.4' as integer
is where I found a decimal point and choked
cool but why did it work on mine?
and should i leave it or get rid of and use new one?
cwhatever is offline  
Last edited by cwhatever; June 19th, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
kdraw44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Macon, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 460
 
Device(s): ZTE WARP 4G
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 315
Thanked 171 Times in 127 Posts
Default

Works perfect, thanks
kdraw44 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhatever View Post
cool but why did it work on mine?
and should i leave it or get rid of and use new one?
you probably partitioned your's with sdparted like mine.
Koumajutsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
you probably partitioned your's with sdparted like mine.
sure did!!
so just leave for now? and if ever repartition use this or new one. or just do the sdparted again?
cwhatever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhatever View Post
sure did!!
so just leave for now? and if ever repartition use this or new one. or just do the sdparted again?
use this, or the new one, or the newest if there's a newer one by then
Koumajutsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
use this, or the new one, or the newest if there's a newer one by then
got it, get it, good!!!!!!
ninjarabbit likes this.
cwhatever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
please provide a logcat capture.
and as much detail as possible.
i.e.: the size of your sdcard, and the size of your current partitions and their filesystems

just saying that it force closes is of no use to anyone

Where is the logcat located? Still not completely familiar with the android system.
MaNiMaL4187 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNiMaL4187 View Post
Where is the logcat located? Still not completely familiar with the android system.
it is an app, and you run it (alogcat)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jtb.alogcat&feature=search_result#? t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5qdGIuYWxvZ2NhdCJd
cwhatever is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

or:

adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log


You know, if you want to copy and paste it with ease, and watch the events happen
Koumajutsu is offline  
Last edited by Koumajutsu; June 20th, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Version 1.1 works good. Must have been the decimal point. I used cwm to partition.
MaNiMaL4187 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
or:

adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log


You know, if you want to copy and paste it with ease, and watch the events happen
yes that way is much better then the app. sometimes simple for simple people is good enough though.
cwhatever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #34 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
kdraw44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Macon, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 460
 
Device(s): ZTE WARP 4G
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 315
Thanked 171 Times in 127 Posts
Default New Class 10 16gb MicroSD

I just got my new 16gb class 10 sd in the mail and would like a little advise on the proper way to set it up for CTmod. Do I need to partition before or after installing CTmod and do I need to set swap size in CWM or use the SDparted apk. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also. can I make a backup in CWM and store it on PC and then restore it to new sd card?
kdraw44 is offline  
Last edited by kdraw44; June 20th, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdraw44 View Post
I just got my new 16gb class 10 sd in the mail and would like a little advise on the proper way to set it up for CTmod. Do I need to partition before or after installing CTmod and do I need to set swap size in CWM or use the SDparted apk. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also. can I make a backup in CWM and store it on PC and then restore it to new sd card?
Here is what i would suggest.
1) install CTMod
2) Install sdparted.apk via typical sideloading
3) run sdparted and partition your SDcard how you want.
4) go to settings > ctmod settings > koumakernel settings. pick data mode, and disable internal (unless you decide to upgrade koumamod.apk to 1.7 sometime between steps 1 and 3. that option is automatic and hidden now).
5) reboot
6) log into google, sync your contacts, install all your apps, etc
Koumajutsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koumajutsu For This Useful Post:
kdraw44 (September 3rd, 2012)
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
kdraw44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Macon, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 460
 
Device(s): ZTE WARP 4G
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 315
Thanked 171 Times in 127 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
Here is what i would suggest.
1) install CTMod
2) Install sdparted.apk via typical sideloading
3) run sdparted and partition your SDcard how you want.
4) go to settings > ctmod settings > koumakernel settings. pick data mode, and disable internal (unless you decide to upgrade koumamod.apk to 1.7 sometime between steps 1 and 3. that option is automatic and hidden now).
5) reboot
6) log into google, sync your contacts, install all your apps, etc
Thanks Kouma for fast reply, am working on it now.
kdraw44 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:09 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 125
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 155
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
Here is what i would suggest.
1) install CTMod
2) Install sdparted.apk via typical sideloading
3) run sdparted and partition your SDcard how you want.
4) go to settings > ctmod settings > koumakernel settings. pick data mode, and disable internal (unless you decide to upgrade koumamod.apk to 1.7 sometime between steps 1 and 3. that option is automatic and hidden now).
5) reboot
6) log into google, sync your contacts, install all your apps, etc

I tried this but it hangs at the kouma kernel screen now for me(over 2 hrs)....any ideas what i could be doing wrong? i tried loading quite a few times now since yesterday...
kskillz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskillz View Post
I tried this but it hangs at the kouma kernel screen now for me(over 2 hrs)....any ideas what i could be doing wrong? i tried loading quite a few times now since yesterday...
what version of SDparter.apk are you using
What version of Koumamod.apk are you using
what version of CTmod are you using
What sizes are you setting for your partitions in SDparter.
Did you remember to click Start Partition Process.
did you let it finish before doing something like pressing the home button?

and step by step, what are you doing to cause your problem
Koumajutsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:32 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 125
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 155
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
what version of SDparter.apk are you using
What version of Koumamod.apk are you using
what version of CTmod are you using
What sizes are you setting for your partitions in SDparter.
Did you remember to click Start Partition Process.
did you let it finish before doing something like pressing the home button?

and step by step, what are you doing to cause your problem
sdparter 1.1 (the new one)
koumamod that comes with the ctmod 3.68

i have a 32gb and was setting it 2048 ext4, 2048ext4 and the rest set to the fat

I start by flashing the ctmod 3.68
then run the sdparter, set the koumamod to data and check disable internal.

then when i reboot it hangs......
kskillz is online now  
Last edited by kskillz; June 21st, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:48 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskillz View Post
sdparter 1.1 (the new one)
koumamod that comes with the ctmod 3.68

i have a 32gb and was setting it 2048 ext4, 2048ext4 and the rest set to the fat

I start by flashing the ctmod 3.68
then run the sdparter, set the koumamod to data and check disable internal.

then when i reboot it hangs......
before changing settings in Koumamod, open SDparter again and make sure your card shows an ext partition as the first partition after "FAT Partition"

Also, what are you planning with that extra 2048MB ext4 partition that does not see the light of day with Data mode

Perhaps you're meaning to use SSM mode?

My Setup:


This is with Koumamod.apk 1.7, newer than what comes with CTmod
patsfann and Twisted21 like this.
Koumajutsu is offline  
Last edited by Koumajutsu; June 21st, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koumajutsu For This Useful Post:
SirNoOb (June 24th, 2012), Twisted21 (February 24th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 125
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 155
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
before changing settings in Koumamod, open SDparter again and make sure your card shows an ext partition as the first partition after "FAT Partition"
ok trying that now
i did what you said and it only shows the fat partion, and one ext4 instead of 2
kskillz is online now  
Last edited by kskillz; June 21st, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:02 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskillz View Post
ok trying that now
i did what you said and it only shows the fat partion, and one ext4 instead of 2
After you start the partition process, and the little spinner pops up saying that it's in progress.
put your phone down, go play some Skyrim, and don't touch anything until it pops up the completed message
Koumajutsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:09 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 125
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 155
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
before changing settings in Koumamod, open SDparter again and make sure your card shows an ext partition as the first partition after "FAT Partition"

Also, what are you planning with that extra 2048MB ext4 partition that does not see the light of day with Data mode

Perhaps you're meaning to use SSM mode?

My Setup:


This is with Koumamod.apk 1.7, newer than what comes with CTmod

well i had it running fine yesterday then it locked up when i rebooted

i wanted to use data and swap but perhaps i should use ssm as i have a large card?
kskillz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:12 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 125
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 155
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
After you start the partition process, and the little spinner pops up saying that it's in progress.
put your phone down, go play some Skyrim, and don't touch anything until it pops up the completed message
lol, i did....i dont think its working tho because it is only taking about 5 sec or so then says partioning is complete

maybe its the version of the sdparter

edit: dl the sdparter again and will replace the pervious

edit: i did that, and the same issue im lost right now...
kskillz is online now  
Last edited by kskillz; June 21st, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:31 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskillz View Post
lol, i did....i dont think its working tho because it is only taking about 5 sec or so then says partioning is complete

maybe its the version of the sdparter

edit: dl the sdparter again and will replace the pervious
Go to Settings>Storage> Unmount SD Card
and then Erase SD card
then try SDparter again
Koumajutsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:35 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 125
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 155
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
Go to Settings>Storage> Unmount SD Card
and then Erase SD card
then try SDparter again
ok going to try that now but one quick question, based on my card size what setup would you suggest? two ext4 or one ext4 and set the other to swap

edit: tried that, and it didnt partion the card period.....
kskillz is online now  
Last edited by kskillz; June 21st, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:39 PM   #47 (permalink)
Life Goes On
 
cwhatever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south central fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,900
 
Device(s): galaxy s3 rooted on wicked or carbon, galaxy prevail ctmod 3.8 ssm(mp3 player)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 532
Thanked 748 Times in 556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskillz View Post
ok going to try that now but one quick question, based on my card size what setup would you suggest? two ext4 or one ext4 and set the other to swap
in case he doesn't answer right away, i'd doo a fat,2 ext4 and a swap even if don't use all they will be there if needed.
cwhatever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 125
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 155
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhatever View Post
in case he doesn't answer right away, i'd doo a fat,2 ext4 and a swap even if don't use all they will be there if needed.
so a total of 3 partions?
kskillz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Koumajutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jurupa Valley(Rubidoux), Ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,443
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2
Carrier: Zombie Virus

Thanks: 136
Thanked 1,100 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskillz View Post
ok going to try that now but one quick question, based on my card size what setup would you suggest? two ext4 or one ext4 and set the other to swap

edit: tried that, and it didnt partion the card period.....
It should have reset you back to all VFAT so you can partition it from scratch again.

As for how you want to split it up, I really can't say.
if it's a fast card, go with a gig or 2 and run it as data mode
if it's a slow card, go with a couple 1 gig parts and run SSM

swap is indirectly related. if you don't run into issues where you run out of ram, like loading massive images, don't even concern yourself with it. If you need it, it's probably best to keep it under a gig. I run more, but it's really just for shits and giggles.
Koumajutsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:45 PM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 125
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 155
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumajutsu View Post
It should have reset you back to all VFAT so you can partition it from scratch again.

As for how you want to split it up, I really can't say.
if it's a fast card, go with a gig or 2 and run it as data mode
if it's a slow card, go with a couple 1 gig parts and run SSM

swap is indirectly related. if you don't run into issues where you run out of ram, like loading massive images, don't even concern yourself with it. If you need it, it's probably best to keep it under a gig. I run more, but it's really just for shits and giggles.
it is a pretty quick card, and i was running data mode yesterday with no problem. I have no clue as to why its not working today.....


it did reset the card but it will not format at all now

edit: one thing i notice is it is unmounting the card then it says its done seconds later
kskillz is online now  
Last edited by kskillz; June 21st, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Prevail > Galaxy Prevail - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.