This will require root access on your device, if you don't have root yet see my other post on how to enable it.
Even after enabling root on this device all of the tether apps state "hotspot is not supported" when starting up tethering. I guess Samsung or Virgin really locked this one down. I finally got around this by following the guide on this link How to Wifi Tether ANY Rooted Android Smartphone or Tablet! [Universal Guide] | HighOnAndroid.com
. It works and I have had no issues yet with it.
The guide in the link above will give you step by step instructions but I will list them here for you too.
1) On your device download and install the Wifi Tether TrevE Mod APK Download apk/wifitether/treve/wifi_tether_v3_3-pre2.apk at DownloadAndroidROM.com
Install using the package installer and not the Google installer. (Again you must have installation from unknown sources enables in security)
2) Launch the app Wifi Tether TrevE Mod and make the following chnages to the settings.
3) Press on “Change Device-Profile”, select “Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)”.
4) Choose “Change Setup-Method”, select “Netd-Ndc (master)”.
5) Make sure “Send Netd Max Client Cmd” is checked.
6) Make sure either “WiFi-driver reload” or “WiFi-driver reload 2″ is checked on. If wifi tether fails for some reason you can change this to the one you didn’t use.
7) Scroll down and make sure “MSS clamping” and “Routing fix” are both checked on.
That's it! Remember you can set your wifi encryption and SSID in the settings to whatever you’d like.
Go back and click on the yellow WiFi symbol and test out the connection.
Again I just found the resource, all credit goes to XDA and the page How to Wifi Tether ANY Rooted Android Smartphone or Tablet! [Universal Guide] | HighOnAndroid.com
for making this happen.
Let me know how it goes for you!