Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (Boost Mobile) > Galaxy S2 (Boost Mobile) - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
greg schmeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orlando FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 531
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 BOOST
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 268
Thanked 156 Times in 113 Posts
Footmouth I would love to root my new s2 but Im concerned by this

Hello all. Been reading tons about my new galaxy sll for boost that i just picked up last week. I am getting confident in my understanding of how to root this phone. I do have some.concerns though.

I read somewhere that when u root this device, roaming is no longer available? Anyone heard of this? Does it apply to cm10 rom or the stock root with the agat kernal? Or both?

Also, no task manager for cm10? Wont there be background applications running like crazy with no way to occasionally stop them via task manager, like i frequently do with my stock rom? I know.of the.home button trick to swipe away apps, but background stuff isnt terminated by this action, right? Jb looks super cool, especially rooted .... But idk if i want to loose such basic functions found with the stock rom.

Btw been learning lots on here. Bunch of cool people. I decided today to create my own account. First post.

greg schmeg is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Air Bender
 
DragonSlayer95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,387
 
Device(s): Moto G, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,942
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,800 Posts
DragonSlayer8724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg schmeg View Post
Hello all. Been reading tons about my new galaxy sll for boost that i just picked up last week. I am getting confident in my understanding of how to root this phone. I do have some.concerns though.

I read somewhere that when u root this device, roaming is no longer available? Anyone heard of this? Does it apply to cm10 rom or the stock root with the agat kernal? Or both?

Also, no task manager for cm10? Wont there be background applications running like crazy with no way to occasionally stop them via task manager, like i frequently do with my stock rom? I know.of the.home button trick to swipe away apps, but background stuff isnt terminated by this action, right? Jb looks super cool, especially rooted .... But idk if i want to loose such basic functions found with the stock rom.

Btw been learning lots on here. Bunch of cool people. I decided today to create my own account. First post.
Welcome to AF!

As far as once you root, this roaming is suppose to still work, cm10 may not since it has many bugs, all other custom and stock roms with roaming will work.

For the task manager. It's not even required since the Android OS kills apps when it feels the memory is starting to get low. Most other custom ROM's have the stock task manager built in.

In other words cm10 is a Rom to experiment with but it has a lot of bugs, I wouldn't use it as a daily driver until it's advances further along.

Happy rooting and flashing!

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2
__________________
Has someone helped you? Dont forget to hit the "thanks" button!
Seen an offense or bad post? Hit the /!\ button!
DragonSlayer95 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
greg schmeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orlando FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 531
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 BOOST
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 268
Thanked 156 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Right on. I wonder how long itll take before they release a finalized version of cm10? oh well i may just experiment with it like u say for now and just stick to the stock rom root... That is of course once i actually do it. Also, im sure that the finalized cm10 will come stock with the task manager? One would think...
greg schmeg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Codegerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,698
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II Running Jelly Bean GB27 32gig class 10 sd card
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 181
Thanked 1,241 Times in 924 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg schmeg View Post
Right on. I wonder how long itll take before they release a finalized version of cm10? oh well i may just experiment with it like u say for now and just stick to the stock rom root... That is of course once i actually do it. Also, im sure that the finalized cm10 will come stock with the task manager? One would think...
you could just get a task manager from the Google play store. I am on stock rooted and may have used the task manager all of once just to see it. I don't find it a critical need part of android. Now things like Titanium Backup and Droidwall, those are a must have..

Codegerm
Codegerm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Resident Air Bender
 
DragonSlayer95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,387
 
Device(s): Moto G, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,942
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,800 Posts
DragonSlayer8724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg schmeg View Post
Right on. I wonder how long itll take before they release a finalized version of cm10? oh well i may just experiment with it like u say for now and just stick to the stock rom root... That is of course once i actually do it. Also, im sure that the finalized cm10 will come stock with the task manager? One would think...
If anything, once you root and flash cm10 you could look around here or on xda for the stock task manager apk.

No telling how long it could take, agrabren stopped devving for evo 3d before finalizing the official cm10, huge bugs and he started maybe 3 months or so ago with still major bugs. Could be a while for the gs2.

Unless there are devs working on a cm10 build off of his base.

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2
DragonSlayer95 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
greg schmeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orlando FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 531
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 BOOST
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 268
Thanked 156 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Ur responses bring up two questions tho.

1) How would that type of task manager, the apk, be installed? Would u flash it or download it thru an internet source?

2) whats droidwall? i havent seen that yet.
greg schmeg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Codegerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,698
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II Running Jelly Bean GB27 32gig class 10 sd card
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 181
Thanked 1,241 Times in 924 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg schmeg View Post
Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Ur responses bring up two questions tho.

1) How would that type of task manager, the apk, be installed? Would u flash it or download it thru an internet source?

2) whats droidwall? i havent seen that yet.
well you can install it like you would any apk (though if you get it outside google play store be sure to check the allow unknown source option)

Droidwall is a very cool and FREE firewall program available on Google Play. It does require a rooted phone. It allows you to control what apps can access the internet. I find it very useful esp if I am testing an app and don't want it on the internet.

Codegerm
Codegerm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
no roam, no task manager


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (Boost Mobile) > Galaxy S2 (Boost Mobile) - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.