Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (International) > Galaxy S2 (International) - All Things Root

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ironass
  • 1 Post By ironass

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
FirebirdStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Male
Posts: 453
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SII rooted (UK) currently running NeatROM Lite 4.2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (USA) bon
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 124
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Exclamation random freezing

I did a search in the SII forum that didn't bring up my issue.

I am trying to figure out why my phone will randomly freeze, and I have to do a battery pull. It does it probably once a day. The recent apps I was using that I can remember where this condition happened:

Youtube
Facebook
Tweetcaster for Twitter
MyFitnessPal
Maps

Is there an app that will log these issues that make it stop responding so I can figure out this problem? It's highly annoying to have to do the battery pull to fix it.

Im running on Android 4.0.4, PDA I9100BULPG, rooted via PhilZ method on XDA forums. Im using modem I9100UHLPH.

Thanks for helping guyz and galz.

__________________
Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 mobile from Vodafone (UK Edition) running on the AT&T network in the USA
Currently running NeatRom Lite 4.3 & Jeboo 2.1+ kerenel
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi only (USA Edition)
*retired* Rooted Motorola Droid X on Verizon
FirebirdStud is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 895
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Default

it freezes because something is using up too much cpu
typically a website
jaliy is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaliy For This Useful Post:
FirebirdStud (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,051
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,092
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,407 Posts
Default

Two things you could try are...

Change your rooted kernel as PhilZ is basically a stock kernel that is rooted, like a CF-Root kernel. Try Siyah or Dorimanx.

As you are rooted... "Full wipe. What's the big deal? Steps to take (15 mins)". This is in case you have any rogue app's or settings that are causing a conflict after all your flashing between ROM's.
__________________
Did you know that hitting the Thanks button is quicker than typing it and the Search button is your friend.

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
FirebirdStud (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
FirebirdStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Male
Posts: 453
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SII rooted (UK) currently running NeatROM Lite 4.2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (USA) bon
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 124
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Two things you could try are...

Change your rooted kernel as PhilZ is basically a stock kernel that is rooted, like a CF-Root kernel. Try Siyah or Dorimanx.

As you are rooted... "Full wipe. What's the big deal? Steps to take (15 mins)". This is in case you have any rogue app's or settings that are causing a conflict after all your flashing between ROM's.
Thanks ironass. I did the PhilZ method because it was the only one at the time for my PDA. Since that has been stable maybe Ill give Siyah a try again.

As far as the full wipe, I did do that when I rooted it. Well, just previous. I ended up full wiping and then I installed the stock software, of which an update was available. After that I rooted it. Would another wipe now be needed? I will do the kernel wiper before installing Siyah to clear out anything with the stock kernel and then the PhilZ kernel.

As far as apps, I am running the bear minimum as Im trying to get the battery to last longer while still retaining the function of having a smartphone. So far Im failing haha.

Thanks again guys!
FirebirdStud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,051
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,092
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdStud View Post
As far as the full wipe, I did do that when I rooted it. Well, just previous. I ended up full wiping and then I installed the stock software, of which an update was available. After that I rooted it. Would another wipe now be needed? I will do the kernel wiper before installing Siyah to clear out anything with the stock kernel and then the PhilZ kernel.
Installing the update could have caused the problem. It is a situation whereby, you will never know until you try it. Personally, I have experienced such things when flashing ROM's, kernels, modems and have just gone straight to the Factory reset as it is better to start with a known, good, set-up. The choice is yours!
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
FirebirdStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Male
Posts: 453
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SII rooted (UK) currently running NeatROM Lite 4.2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (USA) bon
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 124
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Installing the update could have caused the problem. It is a situation whereby, you will never know until you try it. Personally, I have experienced such things when flashing ROM's, kernels, modems and have just gone straight to the Factory reset as it is better to start with a known, good, set-up. The choice is yours!
ok. I just wanted to make sure that it would actually be helpful on such a recently wiped device.

So that leads me to the next question. Wouldn't a factory resent put the phone back to unrooted? From that point, do I go straight to installing Siyah without kernel wiper, or do I have to PhilZ root it, and then wipe kernel and install Siyah?
FirebirdStud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,051
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,092
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdStud View Post
ok. I just wanted to make sure that it would actually be helpful on such a recently wiped device.
I'm assuming that you've tried wiping cache and dalvik already as you are rooted.

Look at it this way... you won't know until you try! If it doesn't freeze or Force Close after a Reset and before you install your app's, then you've narrowed your possible causes down. The choice is yours!

Quote:
So that leads me to the next question. Wouldn't a factory resent put the phone back to unrooted?
A Factory Reset does NOT uninstall root.

Quote:
From that point, do I go straight to installing Siyah without kernel wiper, or do I have to PhilZ root it, and then wipe kernel and install Siyah?
It depends on whether the Factory reset cured your problem or if it is kernel related. A kernel wipe doesn't hurt before installing a fresh kernel.
FirebirdStud likes this.
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
FirebirdStud (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
FirebirdStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Male
Posts: 453
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SII rooted (UK) currently running NeatROM Lite 4.2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (USA) bon
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 124
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
I'm assuming that you've tried wiping cache and dalvik already as you are rooted.

Look at it this way... you won't know until you try! If it doesn't freeze or Force Close after a Reset and before you install your app's, then you've narrowed your possible causes down. The choice is yours!



A Factory Reset does NOT uninstall root.



It depends on whether the Factory reset cured your problem or if it is kernel related. A kernel wipe doesn't hurt before installing a fresh kernel.
I actually didn't think to wipe the cache and the dalvik. Ill do that first and see.

Im glad the factory reset doesn't remove root. I thought I had read that it did. Good to know for future use!

As always, thank you ironass! Ill follow this one step at a time and see what happens.
FirebirdStud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
FirebirdStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Male
Posts: 453
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SII rooted (UK) currently running NeatROM Lite 4.2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (USA) bon
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 124
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

The random freezing is still there after the cache wipes. So, if I do the kernel and flash the Siyah, how would I get the stock kernel back? Do I just flash the PhilZ rooted kernel over top of the Siyah one?
FirebirdStud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,051
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,092
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdStud View Post
The random freezing is still there after the cache wipes. So, if I do the kernel and flash the Siyah, how would I get the stock kernel back? Do I just flash the PhilZ rooted kernel over top of the Siyah one?
Yes.
FirebirdStud likes this.
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
FirebirdStud (November 22nd, 2012)
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (International) > Galaxy S2 (International) - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.