Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) > Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) - All Things Root

Like Tree20Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 31st, 2011, 02:05 PM   #51 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Confused Sim unlock status after rooting/new ROM

Hey Guys,

This is a great guide I stumbled upon! I received SGS2X from TELUS and got a SIM unlock from cellunlocker to use with Mobilicity and it worked fine - My question is will my phone/sim retain this unlock after a new ROM or a root?

If not will i be able to unlock again with same code? TIA Guys and Happy New Year!

Cheers!

Advertisements
freelancer24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 31st, 2011, 02:16 PM   #52 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer24 View Post
Hey Guys,

This is a great guide I stumbled upon! I received SGS2X from TELUS and got a SIM unlock from cellunlocker to use with Mobilicity and it worked fine - My question is will my phone/sim retain this unlock after a new ROM or a root?

If not will i be able to unlock again with same code? TIA Guys and Happy New Year!

Cheers!
Yup. Sim unlocks are permanent.

Glad my guide was of help. Cheers
__________________
Follow me on twitter @Blue1k ...thephonecollector
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM   #53 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andruoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 883
 
Device(s): NEXUS 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 140
Thanked 202 Times in 159 Posts
Default

I followed the instructions to a T ...and everything worked I'm probably going to try Mr. X's ROM as suggested but before I do can you recommend a stable ASOP ROM? I miss the simple look of ASOP more that I thought! Thanks

***edit;
BTW, in Step 12 when I flashed su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip I got the 'Install Aborted'. I rebooted anyway and found I was indeed rooted. Maybe it was trying to fake me out ;-)
andruoid is offline  
Last edited by andruoid; January 3rd, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #54 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
creesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2x - Telus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer24 View Post
Hey Guys,

This is a great guide I stumbled upon! I received SGS2X from TELUS and got a SIM unlock from cellunlocker to use with Mobilicity and it worked fine - My question is will my phone/sim retain this unlock after a new ROM or a root?

If not will i be able to unlock again with same code? TIA Guys and Happy New Year!

Cheers!

How long did it take for you until u got the unlock code ? i sent over a request since yesterday and today i received an email that they need more information about my phone ? what was the website you ordered the code ? Does Samsung Galaxy s2x work on Mobilicity ? i was there and asked them if my phone would work with that carrier and they said that i won't work because they are built in different frequencies ??? no clue what he meant but anyways...
creesh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #55 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by creesh View Post
How long did it take for you until u got the unlock code ? i sent over a request since yesterday and today i received an email that they need more information about my phone ? what was the website you ordered the code ? Does Samsung Galaxy s2x work on Mobilicity ? i was there and asked them if my phone would work with that carrier and they said that i won't work because they are built in different frequencies ??? no clue what he meant but anyways...
I use mobileincanada.com for my unlocking needs. They definitely unlock the Telus S2. You only need to provide the IMEI number.

LOL @ Mobilicity guy. The phone has AWS bands and will work on that network. They either lied to you to buy one of their phones or they had no clue.
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #56 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
creesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2x - Telus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1k View Post
I use mobileincanada.com for my unlocking needs. They definitely unlock the Telus S2. You only need to provide the IMEI number.

LOL @ Mobilicity guy. The phone has AWS bands and will work on that network. They either lied to you to buy one of their phones or they had no clue.

He was Chinese..no offence but it was hard to understand him what he meant but what i understood was that it does not work so the telus phone will work on mobilicity ?

For the unlock code i will wait until tomorrow and if i dont get anything from cellunlockednow.com than i will try mobileincanada.com

How long does it take to get a code from mobileincanada ?
creesh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #57 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by creesh View Post
He was Chinese..no offence but it was hard to understand him what he meant but what i understood was that it does not work so the telus phone will work on mobilicity ?

For the unlock code i will wait until tomorrow and if i dont get anything from cellunlockednow.com than i will try mobileincanada.com

How long does it take to get a code from mobileincanada ?
Yes it works. The guy must not know that the Telus variant is exactly the same as the T-Mobile version. T-mobile and Mobilicity both use AWS bands The telus S2 and tmobile s2 works on Wind and Mobilicity.

The only issue is selecting the network. Seems to be an issue with mobilicity. To help with this you can manually select which network you want by:

dial *#*#2263#*#*, select "WCDMA Band Preference", and then select "WCDMA 1700" so that the phone looks by default in the 1700 band (AWS)


Mobileincanada can take anywhere from 4hours to 24 hours. They have a current wait time on their site.

Cheers!
Blue1k is offline  
Last edited by Blue1k; January 5th, 2012 at 01:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue1k For This Useful Post:
creesh (January 5th, 2012)
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #58 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
creesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2x - Telus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1k View Post
Yes it works. The guy must not know that the Telus variant is exactly the same as the T-Mobile version. T-mobile and Mobilicity both use AWS bands The telus S2 and tmobile s2 works on Wind and Mobilicity.

The only issue is selecting the network. Seems to be an issue with mobilicity. To help with this you can manually select which network you want by:

dial *#*#2263#*#*, select "WCDMA Band Preference", and then select "WCDMA 1700" so that the phone looks by default in the 1700 band (AWS)


Mobileincanada can take anywhere from 4hours to 24 hours. They have a current wait time on their site.

Cheers!
Thanks mate
creesh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #59 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I had this error:

E:Error in /sdcard/su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

I resolved it with CWM by doing Advanced-->Fix Permissions. After doing that I was able to install without error.
slogged is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slogged For This Useful Post:
Blue1k (January 5th, 2012)
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #60 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogged View Post
I had this error:

E:Error in /sdcard/su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

I resolved it with CWM by doing Advanced-->Fix Permissions. After doing that I was able to install without error.
Thank you! I was wondering why sometimes there was issue after the odin flash. I will add this to my instructions.
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 6th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #61 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
creesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2x - Telus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey guys,

I was unable to unlock my phone..the guys from cellunlockednow.com were not able to and now i am waiting for the refund.
I ordered a code now from mobileincanada.com and still waiting for the code

Any ideas why it might be that it is giving them such a hard time to find my code ?
Is there any other website where i can try ?
creesh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #62 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

I had the same issue with cellularunlocker. Mobileincanada is great. I usually wait about half a day with them depending on how busy the server is.

Haven't really tried any other sites as movileincanada always comes through for me.
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #63 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Thanks

Thanks for this, I made a small donation. Please keep updating this with what's possible on a rooted Telus S2 X!
slogged is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #64 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogged View Post
Thanks for this, I made a small donation. Please keep updating this with what's possible on a rooted Telus S2 X!

Thanks so much! I'll update the thread this weekend with some newer roms and stuff I've tried.
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #65 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
creesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2x - Telus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1k View Post
I had the same issue with cellularunlocker. Mobileincanada is great. I usually wait about half a day with them depending on how busy the server is.

Haven't really tried any other sites as movileincanada always comes through for me.

Guesss whatt?? mobileincanada.com just came back at me with the code..yuhuuuu
i will try the code once i am done with work
creesh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #66 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andruoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 883
 
Device(s): NEXUS 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 140
Thanked 202 Times in 159 Posts
Default

NM, morning brain failure.
andruoid is offline  
Last edited by andruoid; January 7th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #67 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andruoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 883
 
Device(s): NEXUS 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 140
Thanked 202 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Just to test the returning to stock method. After a successful stock flash via Odin I got caught in a boot-loop. The 'S' logo at boot runs for a few seconds, then returns to the 'Samsung Galaxy SII T989D' then back to the 'S' logo again, etc, etc. Any ideas why?

To add; I was able to reflash Mr. X's Telus ROM and have a working phone again so at least I don't have a brick.

I followed your instructions below:

Steps:

1. To install the stock rom file you will need to first extract it. Use the password above
2. Launch Odin. Press PDA and Select the stock recovery file (tar.md5 file) folder you extracted. Make sure re-partition is NOT selected (see the pic above).
3. Restart your phone in download mode as before (see above how to do this) and wait for the yellow com
4. Press Start and flash back the phone to original state
andruoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andruoid For This Useful Post:
Blue1k (January 7th, 2012)
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #68 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

I think it is because the rom is not over writing the Mr.x ciq free kernel. I'll look into this. That, or a full wipe is needed before the odin flash back to stock.

Either way, I'll find a solution.
Thanks for the feedback
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue1k For This Useful Post:
andruoid (January 7th, 2012)
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andruoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 883
 
Device(s): NEXUS 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 140
Thanked 202 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1k View Post
I think it is because the rom is not over writing the Mr.x ciq free kernel. I'll look into this. That, or a full wipe is needed before the odin flash back to stock.

Either way, I'll find a solution.
Thanks for the feedback
I'll try a full wipe in CWM myself if you like, I should have thought of that as well! I'll report back sometime after dinner tonight
andruoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #70 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andruoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 883
 
Device(s): NEXUS 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 140
Thanked 202 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Beautiful. Thanks BlueK1 for the wipe suggestion. What I had to do to get stock recovery:

1. Boot into CWM and wipe everything (I did, just to be sure):
/cache
/data
/system
/emmc
&
/dalvik

2. on phone: power off from within CWM
3. on computer: start Odin, click on and check PDA, load the MD5 file (don't hit Start yet)
4. on phone: volume down + power on phone to get to the download screen, once at that screen, volume up to confirm. Plug in phone to computer.
5. on computer: click Start in Odin
6. on chair: sit back ...or in kitchen (preferred): grab a bevy of your choice and wait for the flashing to complete.
7. (optional and recommended) re-root cause you'll miss certain apps that require it ;-)
andruoid is offline  
Last edited by andruoid; January 7th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andruoid For This Useful Post:
Blue1k (January 7th, 2012), Oldschoolwax (January 7th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Thanks man! Glad it worked out. I'll add this to my guide.
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue1k For This Useful Post:
andruoid (January 7th, 2012)
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andruoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 883
 
Device(s): NEXUS 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 140
Thanked 202 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Another quick note about the Stock ROM restore. If you intend on keeping the stock ROM delete the USB drivers and Samsung Kies, reboot your computer and reinstall Samsung Kies.

Before I did the above Samsung Kies reported that I can not do firmware updates.

Everything else seems good to go now. I myself will re-root now that I know everything to unroot is all good.
andruoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #73 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just wanted to say thank you Blue1k. I just bought the Samsung phone from Telus, and I will be rooting it this weekend!
Thanks!
troymc8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #74 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey Blue1K, thanks! I just made a donation from Nick Bains.

Cheers
ent007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #75 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey all, is there any other apps that I should freeze that are bloatware?
ent007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #76 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ent007 View Post
Hey Blue1K, thanks! I just made a donation from Nick Bains.

Cheers
Much appreciated thanks!
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #77 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ent007 View Post
Hey all, is there any other apps that I should freeze that are bloatware?
It depends on which rom you are running. On the telus rom I froze social hub (since I don't use it) and wifi sharing and wifi sharing manager (not wifi app). You could freeze any other samsung application you are not using but I would not delete them (just to be safe)

The other thing I noticed on both my S2 phones is that the damn facebook app keeps running in background even without sync enabled. I find the battery life better without it installed (I use the browser for facebook).
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #78 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bricked Phone Telus Samsung Galaxy s2 SGH t989d

I was trying to follow the steps that you have mentioned but instead of clicking on PDA i accidentally clicked on PIT and there was a file in odin folder ( I have downloaded odin using the link that you have mentioned in your thread) and after that I had a yellow light in odin and when I unplugged my phone and tried to go into further recovery mode I just cant do anything with the phone. Its just a black screen

I would really appreciate if you can help me solve this issue.
moodyksam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
Oldschoolwax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 180
 
Device(s): SGH-T989
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Default

man, have you tried pulling out the battery for a bit? Maybe someone around you has a download jig, that might help. Blue1K checks in a lot, I'm sure he knows. You might just be able to claim ignorance and get the carrier to swap it out or fix it for you.
__________________
Currently Running
Android Zombie v4.0
Oldschoolwax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #80 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyksam View Post
I was trying to follow the steps that you have mentioned but instead of clicking on PDA i accidentally clicked on PIT and there was a file in odin folder ( I have downloaded odin using the link that you have mentioned in your thread) and after that I had a yellow light in odin and when I unplugged my phone and tried to go into further recovery mode I just cant do anything with the phone. Its just a black screen

I would really appreciate if you can help me solve this issue.
Aggh. That sucks. Sorry, I was away in Seattle so just checking in now.

Ok. Loading the pit has possibly ruined your partition tables. Let's try this:

1. Can you boot in to download mode? Not recovery mode.

DOWNLOAD MODE:
POWER OFF. Then HOLD VOLUME DOWN and keep pressing it and then press power. It will boot you into the following screen. Press UP to confirm you want to flash
*This is different for us Telus users. T-Mobile have to press both buttons and then connect


2. If you can, then launch odin, connect your phone and flash the stock Telus rom listed on the front page.

IF NO. Then I will need to see if we can use fastboot. Hopefully the above works.
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #81 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Installing Ice Cream Theme

Thanks so much for everything. I successfully unlocked my phone and installed Mr. X's Rooted Telus Rom with CIQ removed. I wanted to install that Ice Cream theme. I am slightly confussed on how to do it, and the telus dialer. Do you have a link with installation of themes on the phone?

Thanks again mate, will donate.

Cheers,
troymc8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #82 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc8 View Post
Thanks so much for everything. I successfully unlocked my phone and installed Mr. X's Rooted Telus Rom with CIQ removed. I wanted to install that Ice Cream theme. I am slightly confussed on how to do it, and the telus dialer. Do you have a link with installation of themes on the phone?

Thanks again mate, will donate.

Cheers,
No worries. I can guide you through it. I'll post up a quick step guide (with links) on flashing this theme tomorrow later in the day. Been swamped with marking and school crap.
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #83 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc8 View Post
Thanks so much for everything. I successfully unlocked my phone and installed Mr. X's Rooted Telus Rom with CIQ removed. I wanted to install that Ice Cream theme. I am slightly confussed on how to do it, and the telus dialer. Do you have a link with installation of themes on the phone?

Thanks again mate, will donate.

Cheers,
Ok, I just looked quasi's thread on XDA and he deleted his old themes

Lucky for you I still had them on my computer

The theme works fine except for one thing: the dialer will force close if you go into an area with no reception.

The other option is to flash Juggernaut 4.1 and then install Quasi's theme from XDA for this rom. My experience was I found the Mr. X rom to have better battery but the downside is there are less themes compatible with it.

Here is how to flash it:

Quasi's XDA ICS Theme for Mr. X Telus Rom:

1. Download these 2 files and copy them to a folder on your phone. Remember which folder this is.
ICS Theme
Dialer Fix for Mr. X Telus

2. Reboot your phone into recovery (see front page on how to do this).

3. Do a nandroid backup by selecting backup in the main recovery menu

4. In the main recovery menu, select WIPE CACHE. Then go to advanced and select WIPE DALVIK.

5. In the main recovery menu, select INSTALL ZIP. On your recovery you may have more than one option: Install Zip from SDCARD or Install ZIP from Internal. Choose the one that will let you navigate to the folder you saved the 2 zip files in to (either on your phone or external sd card).

6. Install the ICS Complete zip first. Then install the dialer fix zip.

7. Then wipe cache and dalvik again to be sure of a clean install. Then go to advanced from the main recovery menu and select FIX PERMISSIONS.

Then reboot and enjoy.

*A usual rule of thumb is to always wipe dalvik cache and cache before and after installing a theme. Then fix permissions.

If your phone bootloops for whatever reason, don't panic. Just turn it off, boot into recovery and go into backups/restore and restore your nandroid backup.
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #84 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default App Question - Viber not working / BT problems - Telus modified rom

Hello,

I know this forum is mostly rom based questions. I am using the modified Telus rom.

I'm just curious - Has anyone been successful using Viber with this rom?

It installs fine for me and connects without issue but I can't hear any audio and the other caller can't hear me. The viber support page lists all models of working phones and the GS2x is listed but it also notes that custom roms can break the functionality.

Another non-related question is about the bluetooth. I find I need to reboot my phone every couple of days to keep it working with my Jabra cruiser (If not I loose the audio from calls / music even though it's connected). Any thoughts? / Does the BT work better with Mr.X's rom?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any thoughts on the above two issues.

Cheers,

xluthor
xluthor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #85 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluthor View Post
Hello,

I know this forum is mostly rom based questions. I am using the modified Telus rom.

I'm just curious - Has anyone been successful using Viber with this rom?

It installs fine for me and connects without issue but I can't hear any audio and the other caller can't hear me. The viber support page lists all models of working phones and the GS2x is listed but it also notes that custom roms can break the functionality.

Another non-related question is about the bluetooth. I find I need to reboot my phone every couple of days to keep it working with my Jabra cruiser (If not I loose the audio from calls / music even though it's connected). Any thoughts? / Does the BT work better with Mr.X's rom?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any thoughts on the above two issues.

Cheers,

xluthor
Never used Viber so can't comment. Maybe another user has advice?

Bluetooth was never an issue with me on Mr. X or Juggernaut roms. I have both a BluAnt and Jawbone and both worked perfectly fine for me.
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #86 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for your quick response and comments.

You should check Viber out - lol.

It seems to work really well for everyone else that I have talked to and it would be nice to get a confirmation. Are you using the Mr. X or Juggernaut rom?

Looking forward to a tweaked ICS - Any idea when it's coming out? The last I heard was the official rom was coming in Feb / March and it will probably take a few more weeks to get it cooked up to tasty perfection :-)

Cheers for a starting a very helpful thread.
xluthor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #87 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluthor View Post
Thanks for your quick response and comments.

You should check Viber out - lol.

It seems to work really well for everyone else that I have talked to and it would be nice to get a confirmation. Are you using the Mr. X or Juggernaut rom?

Looking forward to a tweaked ICS - Any idea when it's coming out? The last I heard was the official rom was coming in Feb / March and it will probably take a few more weeks to get it cooked up to tasty perfection :-)

Cheers for a starting a very helpful thread.
No one knows for sure. But I would think in about a month.

I don't have the S2X anymore but I liked Mr.X's rom better when I had the phone. Seemed more stable and battery life was much better.
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #88 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
creesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2x - Telus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluthor View Post
Hello,

I know this forum is mostly rom based questions. I am using the modified Telus rom.

I'm just curious - Has anyone been successful using Viber with this rom?

It installs fine for me and connects without issue but I can't hear any audio and the other caller can't hear me. The viber support page lists all models of working phones and the GS2x is listed but it also notes that custom roms can break the functionality.

Another non-related question is about the bluetooth. I find I need to reboot my phone every couple of days to keep it working with my Jabra cruiser (If not I loose the audio from calls / music even though it's connected). Any thoughts? / Does the BT work better with Mr.X's rom?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any thoughts on the above two issues.

Cheers,

xluthor
Viber works on mine phone perfectly fine and i do have Mr.X rom. I did not have any issues even before with it. But what i could suggest you to do is to restore your phone to factory settings or try one of the Roms bluek1 posted: Mr.X or Juggernaut.
I cant see or tell any defects on the phone right know because everything seems to be working well and i hope you will find a solution to yours xluthor.

@Bluek1 what phone do you have now ?
creesh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #89 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

I bought a white Galaxy S2 i9100 but was really hoping to get a Galaxy Note.

I ended up getting "permission" to buy the Note and instead sold my white S2 for a the same amount I paid for it. If you are married, you know how you may have to give the sales presentation speech...

I teach math so the idea of having a device that can be used for online help and tutoring is perfect for me

That and apparently I have "issues" with getting new phones all the time lol

Hopefully my phone arrives in the next day or so. Using a Nokia and I'm ready to microwave it.
Blue1k is offline  
Last edited by Blue1k; January 25th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #90 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
creesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2x - Telus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1k View Post
I bought a white Galaxy S2 i9100 but was really hoping to get a Galaxy Note.

I ended up getting "permission" to buy the Note and instead sold my white S2 for a the same amount I paid for it. If you are married, you know how you may have to give the sales presentation speech...

I teach math so the idea of having a device that can be used for online help and tutoring is perfect for me

That and apparently I have "issues" with getting new phones all the time lol

Hopefully my phone arrives in the next day or so. Using a Nokia and I'm ready to microwave it.

LOL i know what you mean...same situation here -- i was looking to get the Nexus but after few discussion i decided not to do so -- because me speech was not as good as yours i believe
creesh is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #91 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 95
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2X, Lg Shine Plus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
ryanhatton420@gmail.com
Default

hey I was wondering if any of the t-mobile ROMS work for the Telus T989D? I know you shouldn't use a t-mobile modem.
rymanh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #92 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanh View Post
hey I was wondering if any of the t-mobile ROMS work for the Telus T989D? I know you shouldn't use a t-mobile modem.
T-Mobile ROMs for T989 work without a problem. I've tried a number of them off XDA and settled on Juggernaut with the Faux kernel. The modem/radio doesn't change when you flash a ROM so it's convenient. Enjoy!
fideli is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #93 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Blue1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cloverdale, BC
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Just make sure to disable to Wifi calling in settings as this doesn't work for us.
Blue1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #94 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hey guys. im rooted my phones no problems. before i flash to a new rom, i need to backup my device, especially my Angry Birds save file. the problem is, everywhere i look on google, it says the save file are located in "/data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds (use corresponding names for seasons and rio)/files" but on my evice, there's no "data" folder in "data". i do have titanium backup installed (not the pro) but once i click backup, does it backup the save files as well ? or just the app ?

thanks from a newbie.

EDIT: found out that ES File Explorer was the problem, i tried Root Explorer and it worked 1st try. thanks.
Cabanon is offline  
Last edited by Cabanon; January 29th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #95 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogged View Post
I had this error:

E:Error in /sdcard/su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

I resolved it with CWM by doing Advanced-->Fix Permissions. After doing that I was able to install without error.
Thank you! I was wondering why sometimes there was issue after the odin flash. I will add this to my instructions.
i had the same problems, what i did was just re-try the installation and it worked. great guide btw !
Cabanon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #96 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Great guide. Thanks OP.

The rooting worked first attempt. Smooth as Molson Golden
MenaceInc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:28 AM   #97 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
creesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2x - Telus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does anyone know how to change the wallpaper when you boot up your phone ? Not the one of Samsung but the one of your carrier for example, mine is the Telus 4G picture that comes up after the samsung galaxy picture? Any idea blue1k
creesh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:40 AM   #98 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by creesh View Post
Does anyone know how to change the wallpaper when you boot up your phone ? Not the one of Samsung but the one of your carrier for example, mine is the Telus 4G picture that comes up after the samsung galaxy picture? Any idea blue1k
Those are the first few frames of the stock boot animation. Switching to a custom ROM will likely replace the boot animation and therefore will change that Telus 4G picture.
fideli is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:34 PM   #99 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
creesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2x - Telus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i got the Mr.x Telus rom -- whats the custom rom i do have to flash in order to get rid of it ?
creesh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM   #100 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

how do i install the ICS theme ? the xda thread doesnt help very much with 250+ pages.
Cabanon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) > Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-t-mobile-all-things-root/467128-telus-galaxy-s2-t989d-ultimate-root-optimization-guide-steps.html
Posted By For Type Date
Telus S2x Stock T989dtlkj3 Rom - Top Topics Today This thread Refback April 3rd, 2012 12:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.