Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > -- General Tablet Talk

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cheap tablets to replace O2 Jogglers?

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my O2/OpenPeak Jogglers (I'm running ICS on them) with cheap android tablets and would appreciate some recommendations.

I don't do much with them - most of the time they will just display the lock-screen clock (screen stays on 24/7) though I have widgets for monitoring my Ventrilo/Game servers and the usual collection of informational widgets (mail, calendar, weather, news, etc).
I do use Chrome to access my sync'd bookmarks and a reasonably good capacitive touchscreen is essential for the occasional browsing I do (mainly for displaying maps, character sheets, etc when I'm playing games), again nothing really strenuous.
If I could run a shopping list app that can scan barcodes (such as MyShoppi) then it would be very useful for the kitchen.
I'm not really interested in hacking them, and I don't see having them locked to ICS/JB for the foreseeable as a particularly massive problem. I'll never use them for video so high res, HDMI and SD expansion also not essential. Jogglers are 800x480 which is fine, though 1024x800 would be better I guess.

My Jogglers cost me 50 each a couple of years ago. I'm looking at similar price range (if possible!) for their replacements. I've already looked at a few cheap Chinese models from Ainol, etc but there are so many different ones it's easy to float into Nexus 7 territory, which I think is way overpowered for my purposes.

Suggestions?

QuackingPlums is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,647
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,942
Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,787 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

As you're in the UK, you could have a look at some of the lower cost tablets that Argos, Maplin, PC World, Currys have to offer. These are Chinese devices, but at least you'll have full UK warranty and refund options if they do turn out to be crap.

Is O2 finally pulling the plug on the walled-garden Joggler service? - rendering them useless?
__________________
The People's Guide to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
http://welcometomychina.tumblr.com/
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't know if O2 is pulling the plug, or if the plug has been pulled already. The stock Joggler interface was always pretty limited so I haven't used it for a long time. Having gone through various alternatives I've finally settled on running the x86 version of Android ICS on them, but the implementation isn't perfect and the age of the devices is starting to show.

Not so sure if the refund options extend to me returning the device if it's merely not as I expect, as opposed to actually faulty, but the likes of Argos/Currys etc tend to sell the same tablet for far more than HK sellers on Amazon so I'm not sure the approach would work anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I might just wander into one of the larger branches and see if I can have a play with some.
QuackingPlums is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,647
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,942
Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,787 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackingPlums View Post
I don't know if O2 is pulling the plug, or if the plug has been pulled already. The stock Joggler interface was always pretty limited so I haven't used it for a long time. Having gone through various alternatives I've finally settled on running the x86 version of Android ICS on them, but the implementation isn't perfect and the age of the devices is starting to show.
I heard about that with the Jogglers, Intel Atom and Intel GMA500 GPU. basically the same hardware as PC netbooks. I've got a Fujitsu UMPC here, based on same Atom and Intel GMA, usually it runs Windows 7. However I did find Android-X86 2.2 and 2.3 actually runs very well on it from a USB stick. 4.0 not so well, mainly because there's no networking support yet with PCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackingPlums View Post
Not so sure if the refund options extend to me returning the device if it's merely not as I expect, as opposed to actually faulty, but the likes of Argos/Currys etc tend to sell the same tablet for far more than HK sellers on Amazon so I'm not sure the approach would work anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I might just wander into one of the larger branches and see if I can have a play with some.
That's it you can go try them out, and with Argos you got 30 day money back as well. The tend to be more expensive from UK retailers, because you should get support and full UK warranty etc. As well as the UK Sale Of Goods Act, which is supposed to protect consumers from shoddy products. When you buy directly from HK or Shenzhen, it's caveat emptor, and many of the devices you might buy from China, do not have Google either.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; November 23rd, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
I've got a Fujitsu UMPC here, based on same Atom and Intel GMA, usually it runs Windows 7. However I did find Android-X86 2.2 and 2.3 actually runs very well on it from a USB stick. 4.0 not so well, mainly because there's no networking support yet with PCs.
I've heard that said before about the networking support but I don't know what it means.

I ran 2.2 on my Joggler originally but thought I'd try 4.0 when it became available. It certainly looks prettier and as a simple clock I think it looks very elegant. I don't think it runs any slower for me but that might be because I've had to mess with it a lot less in order to get it running how I like it.

I've been looking at the Ainol Novo7 series of tablets which look like they might suit my needs, but there are way too many models and no easy way of comparing the differences! Anybody had experience of these? Do they have Google Market/Play on them?
QuackingPlums is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,647
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,942
Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,787 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackingPlums View Post
I've heard that said before about the networking support but I don't know what it means.
It means there's no internet, either WiFi or Ethernet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackingPlums View Post
I ran 2.2 on my Joggler originally but thought I'd try 4.0 when it became available. It certainly looks prettier and as a simple clock I think it looks very elegant. I don't think it runs any slower for me but that might be because I've had to mess with it a lot less in order to get it running how I like it.

I've been looking at the Ainol Novo7 series of tablets which look like they might suit my needs, but there are way too many models and no easy way of comparing the differences! Anybody had experience of these? Do they have Google Market/Play on them?
The Ainol Novo7 is a reasonably well-known and supported Chinese tablet. There's some useful information around about it. We do have a sub-forum for it as well.
http://androidforums.com/ainol-novo-7/
Although it does seem to come in several variants.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > -- General Tablet Talk
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.