I am looking into picking out my first Android tablet. There are a lot of them out there though! I was hoping someone might be able to give me a few suggestions.
Here is what I am looking for:
- Screen size of 7+ inches (10 would be preferable, but some 7" tablets are nice)
- I am most interested in the performance and hardware specs of the tablet.
- Wi-Fi only device - I don't want a carrier provided connection.
- Good battery life is fairly important, I don't want to keep it on the charger all the time.
- Price isn't really important, I am not looking for a budget minded solution, but I'd be more interested in paying more for higher quality hardware over higher cost for big brand name recognition and appearance. I still like the big brands, but some tablets just seem geared towards being the most expensive on the basis of bling factor without the benefit of the best hardware you can fit into it.
I like the Samsung GT-N8013 and I do like Samsung devices, but the high price and the appearance of it seems to cater more to a crowd putting an emphasis on glamour and flashiness. Or maybe an average connsumer who can't decide between an iPad or a Galaxy Note? Just my opinion. The specs are pretty nice it seems and I am sure the quality of the screen is great.
I also saw the Acer A110-07g08u and thought the performance seemed good with the quad-core tegra 3 CPU and the 12 core GPU. I'd be interested in the screen quality/backlight and the ruggedness of it. Just concerned with the construction because I haven't seen one in person.
I also really like the Motorola XOOM in terms of appearance and the quality of construction. It seems sturdy, intuitive, and looks like it would last a while. It kinda makes me think of a comparison between an old school IBM Thinkpad next to a MacBook. Where the Xoom would be the Thinkpad and the MacBook would be the Samsung Galaxy Note. The Xoom just has that "all-business" appearance to it. I like that. Unfortunately it only has a dual core 1Ghz CPU.
I'm also curious if there are many that will support a 64GB MicroSD?
How about custom ROMs? I figured some more horsepower would help them handle the full-featured ROMs a little better, but not every device plays nice with every ROM. I like trying all the different ROMs and it seems like many of the tablets I am seeing come pre-loaded with JB, but I've seen some running HC and GB stock.. If that's all they can handle I'd have to stay away.
So, what tablets are you in love with?