Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Google

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ATL
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): T-Bolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default My Thoughts on Google + vs other Online Social Media (long read)

The problem I see Google + running into is the same as Wave and Buzz. Its not user friendly to the casual users. It has all the option and integration, but its too "dug in", too complex, too many clicks.

(Puts my casual user hat on) When I go to Facebook.com, Yahoo.com, hell even the dying and spam ridden Myspace.com, everything is right there on the home page. Whereas when I go to Google.com, Im just at the search engine (which is fine by me).

Most user do not want to operate the social network through their email address, They want it to be separated, hidden even, except to the people the chose to have it (their email address that is). What Google should have done was separate this Social networking experience away from google.com and have its own "default" home page.

However I understand Google wants to get away from fragmentation (see Ice Cream Sandwich) and they want everything in one place, I just hope for their sake, if they want to take on Facebook, they need to be a little more user friend and more "out there".

Also one of the main reason Twitter and Facebook is so popular, is because of one thing (well maybe not just this one thing, but) Gossip, and Celebrity interaction and being anonymous. With G+ being integrated with your gmail, I see that as holding it back from taking over. No celebrity wants their social media this close to the personal email. And no jack ass wants to rant and rave with their gmail right on the other side of a click.

Flyness163 is offline  
Last edited by Flyness163; June 30th, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 802
 
Device(s): AT&T SGS2 i777
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 114 Times in 96 Posts
Default

or just create a new gmail address and use that for your G+ needs....just a thought.
nyydynasty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
AndroidSPCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,216
 
Device(s): Note 2, SG S2 & S3, Evo 3D & 4G, Epic 4G, Captivate. (Moment, LG Optimus S, Vibrant)
Carrier: verizon / sprint / at&t

Thanks: 488
Thanked 479 Times in 350 Posts
Default

Good points OP. I do not use my real email address for my fake "facebook" account, to maintain my privacy. Not sure if I will use Google+ much.

Since this is not Android related, I am moving this to the lounge.
__________________
Big thanks to lunatic59 for my awesome Android avatars!!
cool Android phone sizing comparison page
Vital Android guide for permissions!
AndroidSPCS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ATL
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): T-Bolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Sure you can use another Gmail account NYY, but that defeats the purpose of the integration. No I can be logged into FB and my gmail at once in the same browser. I wouldnt want to have to log in and out of gmail and G+, just to use separate emails.
Flyness163 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
savagejeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): DROID, DroidIncredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'd love to see some of these features. Can anyone send me an invite please?


I have no problem sharing this address, but I think Google knows that and depsends on this... LOL. Thanks.
savagejeep is offline  
Last edited by NightAngel79; June 30th, 2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: removed email address
Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SeekerOfTheWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 608
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, non root
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 339
Thanked 79 Times in 48 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to SeekerOfTheWay chrisy520@gmail.com
Default

This Is why I do like G+. I do like having my accounts tied in with my gmail. I don't mind using my real email address because I only share with my friends and family. Real friends...not the peeps I met at the party and shared a drunken guitar hero experience with.

I like having my Twitter update automatically with my kindle, YouTube, c:geo. It's fast and only goes to those I know.

I can't stand celebrity gossip or news. I just want social networking to keep somewhat updated with my fam and friends around the country.
__________________
SeekerOfTheWay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KENNECTED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York, NY (Manhattan)
Posts: 979
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE & ASUS Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 436
Thanked 235 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyness163 View Post
The problem I see Google + running into is the same as Wave and Buzz. Its not user friendly to the casual users. It has all the option and integration, but its too "dug in", too complex, too many clicks.

(Puts my casual user hat on) When I go to Facebook.com, Yahoo.com, hell even the dying and spam ridden Myspace.com, everything is right there on the home page. Whereas when I go to Google.com, Im just at the search engine (which is fine by me).

Most user do not want to operate the social network through their email address, They want it to be separated, hidden even, except to the people the chose to have it (their email address that is). What Google should have done was separate this Social networking experience away from google.com and have its own "default" home page.

However I understand Google wants to get away from fragmentation (see Ice Cream Sandwich) and they want everything in one place, I just hope for their sake, if they want to take on Facebook, they need to be a little more user friend and more "out there".

Also one of the main reason Twitter and Facebook is so popular, is because of one thing (well maybe not just this one thing, but) Gossip, and Celebrity interaction and being anonymous. With G+ being integrated with your gmail, I see that as holding it back from taking over. No celebrity wants their social media this close to the personal email. And no jack ass wants to rant and rave with their gmail right on the other side of a click.
You came up with this after one day? Have you seen facebook, most people emails are already connect to facebook. Have you honestly had time to review all the features in a manner in which you can speak about pros and cons equally? Facebook wasn't built in a day and wasn't even available to the masses until 5 or so years ago.

Why is this Googles Problem? You could just create a brand like I did. KENNECTED is my brand and I use it for my blog, twitter, facebook, picasa, blip, youtube, etc and as my screen name/Identity on many forums.

Most people on facebook use their real names so how is that different than Google+??
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KENNECTED For This Useful Post:
JunBringer (July 2nd, 2011)
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ATL
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): T-Bolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
You came up with this after one day? Have you seen facebook, most people emails are already connect to facebook. Have you honestly had time to review all the features in a manner in which you can speak about pros and cons equally? Facebook wasn't built in a day and wasn't even available to the masses until 5 or so years ago.

Why is this Googles Problem? You could just create a brand like I did. KENNECTED is my brand and I use it for my blog, twitter, facebook, picasa, blip, youtube, etc and as my screen name/Identity on many forums.

Most people on facebook use their real names so how is that different than Google+??
Of course FB wasnt built in a day, but If other google social experiments is anything to go by, If it doesnt catch on if short time, they kind of drop support.

For a power user G+ is no problem, but for casual user is too many clicks to do what Facebook can do in less. And if Google wants to take the market or share it with them , they need to Tap into those casual.

Privacy is a small things (as far as getting people to adopt) I just mention it because I can see it being an issue for some people

Also I wasnt doing a Review, I was just speaking on the "take over" aspect of it
Flyness163 is offline  
Last edited by Flyness163; June 30th, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
ScottColbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 159
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyness163 View Post
Of course FB wasnt built in a day, but If other google social experiments is anything to go by, If it doesnt catch on if short time, they kind of drop support.

For a power user G+ is no problem, but for casual user is too many clicks to do what Facebook can do in less. And if Google wants to take the market or share it with them , they need to Tap into those casual.

Privacy is a small things (as far as getting people to adopt) I just mention it because I can see it being an issue for some people

Also I wasnt doing a Review, I was just speaking on the "take over" aspect of it
Having gotten my invite today I've had a little time to play with it as well as the mobile app and while I think you have some valid points, in the long run I don't think it will matter.

People are getting tired of the crap they get on FB. The game invites, the like my page, etc etc. I don't spend nearly as much time as I used to on FB because I don't have time to go through all the postings from friends. What I love about plus is the ability to split things up. for me it would be a family circle, friend circle, networking circle. I can go through them at different times and not feel like I'm missing something.

The buzz I'm seeing about this is far different than Buzz or Wave, which once people started beta testing it died because of word of mouth. Everything I've heard has been positive.

Will this be a Facebook killer? Possibly, but I also think it can co-exist with FB. It's like the Apple/Android fans, one will like the simplicity (or dumbing down of social networking) and stick with FB (Apple); others would like more control and be able to do more and go with Google+.

My only problem now is not being able to invite anyone yet!
ScottColbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottColbert For This Useful Post:
SeekerOfTheWay (July 1st, 2011)
Old July 1st, 2011, 05:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Jaffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,184
 
Device(s): Noobs shouldn't get smartphones
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 95 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottColbert View Post
Having gotten my invite today I've had a little time to play with it as well as the mobile app and while I think you have some valid points, in the long run I don't think it will matter.

People are getting tired of the crap they get on FB. The game invites, the like my page, etc etc. I don't spend nearly as much time as I used to on FB because I don't have time to go through all the postings from friends. What I love about plus is the ability to split things up. for me it would be a family circle, friend circle, networking circle. I can go through them at different times and not feel like I'm missing something.

The buzz I'm seeing about this is far different than Buzz or Wave, which once people started beta testing it died because of word of mouth. Everything I've heard has been positive.

Will this be a Facebook killer? Possibly, but I also think it can co-exist with FB. It's like the Apple/Android fans, one will like the simplicity (or dumbing down of social networking) and stick with FB (Apple); others would like more control and be able to do more and go with Google+.

My only problem now is not being able to invite anyone yet!
Right on, + is about linking people to people, not randoms to randoms, if you don't have real friend + isn't for you :-)
__________________
Back in the game, what did I miss?
Jaffa is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
KENNECTED (July 3rd, 2011), SeekerOfTheWay (July 1st, 2011)
sponsored links
Old July 1st, 2011, 05:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,422
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,651
Thanked 10,878 Times in 5,528 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

It's also important to remember that Google+ isn't Facebook/Twitter, in that you the user choose who you share with. I've already been added to the Circles of over a hundred people, but if I don't add them to one of my Circles I'll share nothing with them.

Right now, unfortunately, there's an awful lot of what Jaffa refers to as "random to random" linking which equates to a high level of bckground noise. I was woken at 6am because somebody added me to a "huddle" of at least 50 other users and the GS2 went apeshit and nearly vibrated itself off my bedside table, for example.
Slug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidSPCS View Post
I do not use my real email address for my fake "facebook" account, to maintain my privacy.


Wait...

Say that again?



If you are worried about privacy, why have a FB account at all?
__________________
Please search the forums.
Need Tasker Help?
Having Battery problems?
amlothi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JunBringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,175
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Thanks: 688
Thanked 331 Times in 264 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
Why is this Googles Problem? You could just create a brand like I did. KENNECTED is my brand and I use it for my blog, twitter, facebook, picasa, blip, youtube, etc and as my screen name/Identity on many forums.
This. I use a created "brand" I guess you could say as well. JunBringer is the main one I use and I have a dumb fake identity on facebook as well. It started as making fun of a local musician who does it seriously, but it's grown and I can now see the advantages of it. It's fun.
__________________
TechBringer.tumblr.com
JunBringer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ATL
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): T-Bolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Ok I see + is gaining a little more steam now. I like it better the the other services, ny my post wasnt about which one I lik better.

The only thing I wish you could do, or I just havent found out how to yet, is make certain circles private from other looking at your profile.
Flyness163 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JunBringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,175
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Thanks: 688
Thanked 331 Times in 264 Posts
Default

Yeah I really would like to be able to make things private.
JunBringer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tre Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,437
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 83
Thanked 208 Times in 137 Posts
Default

I admit that I like it way more than I thought I would...
Tre Lawrence is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sookster54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 906
 
Device(s): HTC Desire, LG Shine Plus, LG Optimus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Gmail is rarely someone's "personal" email. So far g+ is great for privacy and separating groups of people into each circle, there's a handful of CyanogenMod devs and supporters already in a large g+ group right now- it's a potential tight knit social network. When you create a g+ account, your info are set to private to default, the opposite of FB that sets everything wide open to everyone (and do you think that many people actually look at their privacy settings?).

As far as I know if you have friend1 in circle1 and friend2 in circle2, friend2 will not be able to see your friend1 from cricle1.

Facebook pretty much leaks your info even if you set them all to private, there are plenty of celebrity posers on Facebook and plenty of abusers (see the Vancouver riot with lots of FB users outing their FB friends for just being in a picture even when they did not doing anything illegal).
__________________
Useful Downloads (for root users)
LG Optimus LTE P935 / 2.3.5
HTC Desire / CyanogenMod 7.1
Motorola can kiss my a##
sookster54 is offline  
Last edited by sookster54; July 3rd, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
maciej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Interesting read, thanks guys.
maciej is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookster54 View Post
Gmail is rarely someone's "personal" email.
I like your post, but I disagree with this. I don't know many people who use Gmail for business purposes, which is how I understand "not personal". Most everyone uses it for personal email because they don't like hotmail/yahoo mail or they have multiple accounts.

At least in the "circle" of friends I know, most prefer Gmail for it's useability and better SPAM filtering.



Google + is weak in the area of finding new friends, but it is stronger in the area of controlling who to share what information with, and organizing friends you already have.

I'm not sure how Google + would do if it was released before Facebook/Twitter, since I'm guessing many of the people with hundreds of friends only ever talk to 10-20 people in real life. So, it's great for sharing with small numbers of people, or people you know from other social networks.


At least it avoids the whole "Hey, you have a hot pic. Wanna chat?" and "Do you wish you had a larger penis?" types of "social networking".
amlothi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
andywarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kalamazoo, MI, USA
Posts: 47
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible ROM: MIUI 1.7.29
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Interesting opinions. My thoughts:
1) G+ is like a mish-mash of Facebook and Twitter in it's set of features, yet the way it's organized, it doesn't really feel like either of them. I find that interesting and like it so far.
2) I'm trying to let the "ooh shiny" reaction wears off before really suggesting it to friends. My friends aren't really the "try new tech stuff" bunch =(
3) I think that, even if G+ becomes mildly successful, it won't ever draw people away from Facebook, unless Facebook really screws something up. They really won't see any reason to. I think most of the world thinks like the friends I have, and for them, Facebook works just fine. They didn't even give a crap when all the Facebook privacy outcries went up last summer.
andywarno is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andywarno For This Useful Post:
KENNECTED (July 5th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
Bnice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

I have a question for all the social networking folks. I never had a facebook or any social network. With what you know right now, would you choose facebook or Google plus?
 
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Clementine_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Down in the park where the Machmen meet the machines and play 'kill by numbers'
Posts: 2,156
 
Device(s): Moto X developer edition
Carrier: Over-priced stooopid Verizon

Thanks: 465
Thanked 603 Times in 497 Posts
Default

Google+. I do have and use FB but never really liked it. So far, I like G+ much better. Love the circles!! Now, just to get more peeps on...
Clementine_3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 367
 
Device(s): Nexus One, Xoom, G1 (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnice View Post
I have a question for all the social networking folks. I never had a facebook or any social network. With what you know right now, would you choose facebook or Google plus?
Google plus. You don't use a social network, but Google+ offers group chat which has nothing to do with ever signing into the social network site.
BiggestManEver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sookster54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 906
 
Device(s): HTC Desire, LG Shine Plus, LG Optimus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestManEver View Post
Google plus. You don't use a social network, but Google+ offers group chat which has nothing to do with ever signing into the social network site.
Huddle is pretty cool and it has gtalk integrated too, I think this'll be the hangout for XDA devs and Cyanogenmod devs/supporters, and the likes. I'm definitely going to try and get my family onto G+ and place them into a separate circle since it handles privacy waaaaaaaaaaay better than Facebook does.
sookster54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 367
 
Device(s): Nexus One, Xoom, G1 (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookster54 View Post
Huddle is pretty cool and it has gtalk integrated too,
Can you explain what you mean that it has "gtalk integrated?" I don't see what you mean in there.


Also, G+ needs to integrate Buzz and Latitude better. Right now, when I do a "check in" I have to do it on Foursquare, Latitude, and G+, and that's too much.

Or really, just absorb Buzz... Buzz should be killed and just resorbed into G+.
BiggestManEver is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BiggestManEver For This Useful Post:
Raaden (July 6th, 2011)
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 765
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 : AOKP/Franco, Nexus 10 : Stock, GNex : AOKP (retired), Desire : Redux 2 (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 120 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestManEver View Post
Also, G+ needs to integrate Buzz and Latitude better. Right now, when I do a "check in" I have to do it on Foursquare, Latitude, and G+, and that's too much.

Or really, just absorb Buzz... Buzz should be killed and just resorbed into G+.
Agree on all of that
GrenW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 367
 
Device(s): Nexus One, Xoom, G1 (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Default

It's pretty obvious they want to roll Buzz into +. Look at both the Buzz and Google+ widgets. They are identical, except for the little icon on the left side.
BiggestManEver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KENNECTED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York, NY (Manhattan)
Posts: 979
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE & ASUS Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 436
Thanked 235 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestManEver View Post


Also, G+ needs to integrate Buzz and Latitude better. Right now, when I do a "check in" I have to do it on Foursquare, Latitude, and G+, and that's too much.
Agreed.

In addition if you are in one of your associated google services, say youtube or blogger, there needs to be a "share" button from one of those services that lets you post right to your stream.

Id also like to be able to click on a contact and see all posts that person made in google+, gtalk, googlevoice, gmail, you tube or checkin's.
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
In addition if you are in one of your associated google services, say youtube or blogger, there needs to be a "share" button from one of those services that lets you post right to your stream.
Yeah, same with Picasa as well. I uploaded a few pics the other night and wanted to share with a circle and the only way to go about doing it was sharing the entire album and all I wanted to do was share one or two pictures I had just uploaded. I also found a YouTube video I wanted to share like I would on fb and when I clciked 'share' from YouTube I was amazed to find there was no option to share to Google+ yet.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Not sure why you had a problem sharing images. I found it easy to share individual images on G+. The only thing I'd like it to have is some way to multi-select.
amlothi is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlothi View Post
Not sure why you had a problem sharing images. I found it easy to share individual images on G+. The only thing I'd like it to have is some way to multi-select.
What is the process for this? I looked around my Picasa account as well as for an option to share individual picture within Google+ and was unable to find anything to allow me to do this. I had to share an entire album and then tell the other person to look at the last couple pictures. I wouldn't be surprised that there is an option to do this and I'm just unable to find it in my n00bness.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gabbott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 599
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 96 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK View Post
What is the process for this? I looked around my Picasa account as well as for an option to share individual picture within Google+ and was unable to find anything to allow me to do this. I had to share an entire album and then tell the other person to look at the last couple pictures. I wouldn't be surprised that there is an option to do this and I'm just unable to find it in my n00bness.
Create a new post right in G+ and there is an option there to share individual pictures.

Edit: hrm, well it seems the add photos from there doesn't allow you to browse all your picasa albums, just the ones in the 'from your phone' album. Interesting, there must (or should) be a way.
gabbott is online now  
Last edited by gabbott; July 5th, 2011 at 06:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 367
 
Device(s): Nexus One, Xoom, G1 (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Default

It's easy to multi-select pictures from the Uploaded from Phone section. Just click the ones you want, then hit share.

For some reason, the same option doesn't seem to be available when you're looking the "My Albums" section. A pity.

I'm sure it's something that will be rolled out soon. As well as some "Share with all Circles except X" type feature.
BiggestManEver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
Create a new post right in G+ and there is an option there to share individual pictures.
When I click that the option is to share an entire folder or an image from a PC locally. What I'm talking about is sharing an image (imbedded) that has already been uploaded to Picasa w/o sharing the entire folder.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gabbott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 599
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 96 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK View Post
When I click that the option is to share an entire folder or an image from a PC locally. What I'm talking about is sharing an image (imbedded) that has already been uploaded to Picasa w/o sharing the entire folder.
Have you uploaded any pics from your phone using the google+ android app? You should then have an option when you post to post pics that were uploaded from your phone (a new picasa album would have been created). But it doesnt seem you can select individual photos from other albums this way.
gabbott is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestManEver View Post
It's easy to multi-select pictures from the Uploaded from Phone section. Just click the ones you want, then hit share.

For some reason, the same option doesn't seem to be available when you're looking the "My Albums" section. A pity.

I'm sure it's something that will be rolled out soon. As well as some "Share with all Circles except X" type feature.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. It's not there now but I'm sure it will be eventually. I just wish Google would include a few more features when they beta something so we can test the program and the features both a little more extensively. Just seems their stuff is always in beta and missing basic functionality. That being said I'm excited for this as well as Google Music and the future they both will bring.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
Have you uploaded any pics from your phone using the google+ android app? You should then have an option when you post to post pics that were uploaded from your phone (a new picasa album would have been created). But it doesnt seem you can select individual photos from other albums this way.
I upload photos to Picasa all the time with my phone and PCs so I'm very aware of the process. I have also shared pictures directly from my phone to Google+ and yeah, it creates a separate folder by date which I dislike. I prefer organizing my photos by subject and then sharing from that organization. I'm sure it will be something that Google eventually implements but I just wish something so simple would have been included already.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gabbott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 599
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 96 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK View Post
I upload photos to Picasa all the time with my phone and PCs so I'm very aware of the process. I have also shared pictures directly from my phone to Google+ and yeah, it creates a separate folder by date which I dislike. I prefer organizing my photos by subject and then sharing from that organization. I'm sure it will be something that Google eventually implements but I just wish something so simple would have been included already.
Yeah, agreed. It appears for now, you can only post individual pics in a G+ posting that are in the 'Instant Upload' picasa album that is created when using the instant upload feature of the android app.

I'd post feedback to Google, would be nice to have the option to post individual pics from any picasa album, not just that one.

For now, as a workaround, you could copy any individual photos you want to share to the 'Instant Upload' album.
gabbott is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
Yeah, agreed. It appears for now, you can only post individual pics in a G+ posting that are in the 'Instant Upload' picasa album that is created when using the instant upload feature of the android app.

I'd post feedback to Google, would be nice to have the option to post individual pics from any picasa album, not just that one.

For now, as a workaround, you could copy any individual photos you want to share to the 'Instant Upload' album.
Yeah, I could do that. May be bumping up against my limit if I start doubling up on stored images unless Google actually just shares the same image to several folders. I'm assuming it actually copies the image to all locations though. Either way, I'm not going to lose sleep over it just yet and will wait patiently until they add that function.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sookster54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 906
 
Device(s): HTC Desire, LG Shine Plus, LG Optimus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestManEver View Post
Can you explain what you mean that it has "gtalk integrated?" I don't see what you mean in there.
On the bottom left of your page there's "Chat" and names of those who are on your gtalk list or in circles, so your friend you attempt to talk to can be on gtalk on his/her phone while you're on your google+ page.
sookster54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gabbott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 599
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 96 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK View Post
Yeah, I could do that. May be bumping up against my limit if I start doubling up on stored images unless Google actually just shares the same image to several folders. I'm assuming it actually copies the image to all locations though. Either way, I'm not going to lose sleep over it just yet and will wait patiently until they add that function.
For some photos, it looks like google is offering 'unlimited' storage:

Picasa Now Offering Virtually Unlimited Photo Storage, Brings Google+ Tagging
gabbott is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,428
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 317 Times in 199 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
For some photos, it looks like google is offering 'unlimited' storage:

Picasa Now Offering Virtually Unlimited Photo Storage, Brings Google+ Tagging
Cool. As soon as I saw they we're using Picasa to host Google+ files I knew it was a matter of time before they raised drastically or eliminated storage restrictions at least for those who had a Google+ account as well.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KENNECTED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York, NY (Manhattan)
Posts: 979
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE & ASUS Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 436
Thanked 235 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestManEver View Post
I As well as some "Share with all Circles except X" type feature.
I'm unclear as to what you mean by this. This functionality is already there. When you post your post can be public (which shares with everyone) or you can share with "all your circles", one circle or a selected number of circles.
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #44 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,668
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,949
Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,793 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyness163 View Post
The problem I see Google + running into is the same as Wave and Buzz. Its not user friendly to the casual users. It has all the option and integration, but its too "dug in", too complex, too many clicks.
Maybe that's a deliberate design decision on the part of Google. Try and keep all the morons and idiots out, and where they belong....Facebook. Although making things complex didn't keep the idiots away, Myspace was a shining example of that.

Wouldn't use Google+ myself. Have no desire to tell the whole world about everything I'm doing, or being 'social' with a load of people(and cretins) I've never met in my life....see also Facebook. AF and couple of other select forums is about as 'social' as I want to be on the interwebs.

BTW Facebook used to be far better and free from idiots when the joining requirement was an academic email address.
__________________
The People's Guide to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
http://welcometomychina.tumblr.com/
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; July 6th, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #45 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 367
 
Device(s): Nexus One, Xoom, G1 (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
I'm unclear as to what you mean by this. This functionality is already there. When you post your post can be public (which shares with everyone) or you can share with "all your circles", one circle or a selected number of circles.
Sure, I can go through and check all the Circles I want to send it to. But more frequently, I'll want to post to all my circles except "family" or whatnot.

Something that would help with that, would be useful.
BiggestManEver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KENNECTED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York, NY (Manhattan)
Posts: 979
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE & ASUS Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 436
Thanked 235 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestManEver View Post
Sure, I can go through and check all the Circles I want to send it to. But more frequently, I'll want to post to all my circles except "family" or whatnot.

Something that would help with that, would be useful.
Without starting a "semantics" discussion, to me thats exactly what we currently have. Either way you're going to have to click or choose to include or exclude a circle(s).
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #47 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 367
 
Device(s): Nexus One, Xoom, G1 (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennected View Post
without starting a "semantics" discussion, to me thats exactly what we currently have. Either way you're going to have to click or choose to include or exclude a circle(s).
semantics!!
BiggestManEver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #48 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 367
 
Device(s): Nexus One, Xoom, G1 (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestManEver View Post

Also, G+ needs to integrate Buzz and Latitude better. Right now, when I do a "check in" I have to do it on Foursquare, Latitude, and G+, and that's too much.

Aaaand, with the new update to Google Maps (5.7), they've rolled Latitude into Google+. When I checked in to Burger King today, it gave me the option to share with my Circles in addition to my Latitude contacts.

They're moving faster than I imagined they would!
BiggestManEver is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BiggestManEver For This Useful Post:
KENNECTED (July 7th, 2011)
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #49 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,668
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,949
Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,793 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookster54 View Post
Gmail is rarely someone's "personal" email.
Huh? Many people I know use Gmail for personal use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookster54 View Post
So far g+ is great for privacy and separating groups of people into each circle, there's a handful of CyanogenMod devs and supporters already in a large g+ group right now- it's a potential tight knit social network. When you create a g+ account, your info are set to private to default, the opposite of FB that sets everything wide open to everyone (and do you think that many people actually look at their privacy settings?).

As far as I know if you have friend1 in circle1 and friend2 in circle2, friend2 will not be able to see your friend1 from cricle1.

Facebook pretty much leaks your info even if you set them all to private, there are plenty of celebrity posers on Facebook and plenty of abusers (see the Vancouver riot with lots of FB users outing their FB friends for just being in a picture even when they did not doing anything illegal).
How do we know Google+ wont leak personal and private information? Either through future changes of policy, changes to the ToS, what a fellow Google+ user might do, user mistakes or mistakes by Google. Just like what happened with Facebook from time to time. BTW Google hasn't exactly got a clean record when it comes to personal and private info and social networks: WARNING: Google Buzz Has A Huge Privacy Flaw ...a similar breach of privacy could happen with Google+.

My thinking is, NEVER put anything on the internet unless I intend it to be public for everyone to read, see or hear. The only exceptions being e-mail and instant messaging.
mikedt is online now  
Last edited by mikedt; July 7th, 2011 at 02:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
amlothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 202 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestManEver View Post
Sure, I can go through and check all the Circles I want to send it to. But more frequently, I'll want to post to all my circles except "family" or whatnot.

Something that would help with that, would be useful.
[removed by mod]
This is exactly how it SHOULD work, in my opinion. Privacy should be ON, ON, and ON by default. Who you share information with should be OPT IN, and not OPT OUT.

When I want to share something, I'd much rather choose who to send it to then to have to remember to specify I want something to be private.
amlothi is offline  
Last edited by Slug; July 7th, 2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Unhelpful
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amlothi For This Useful Post:
KENNECTED (July 7th, 2011)
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Google
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.