Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Google

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By KENNECTED
  • 1 Post By nickdalzell
  • 1 Post By annebrooks64
  • 3 Post By 5280Man
  • 2 Post By 5280Man

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 475
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 42
Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Default Using Android but Google is pissing me off

Is anyone else being offended by Google's more and more aggressive intrusive tactics?

Google keeps forcing people to use its Google+, and penalizes anyone who does not join its Google+. (Example: YouTube now is integrated with Google+; YouTube users can no longer post videos or comments without an active Google+ account.) Once you open a Google+ account, then Google wants you to give over your real name and real identity and everything, so Google can start profiling you. That is offensive. Once Google gets any of your information, it's impossible to get Google to permanently remove the information from Google.

Google is getting pushier and pushier. Most unfortunately, Android requires a Google account to use.

I've already deleted the Google+, YouTube (oh man, it's almost impossible to delete my YouTube account,) and all other Google services that are associated with my Android account. I am also deleting all my contacts on Google and moving them elsewhere. I created a "dummy" Google account for those services. So I can isolate my Android account from other Google services, and prevent Google from profiling me.

I have also stopped using Google search altogether... because Google really offends me. I've started m using Bing simply because I want to avoid Google. I'm glad I did because Bing gives away free Amazon gift cards with its Bing search points. (I shop almost exclusively on Amazon.)

I'm never using Google search again.

Also, I'm removing Google Maps, Navigator and all other Google services on my Android phone, and replacing them with other services. The only Google service I'll be using on Android is the unavoidable Google Play. Everything else, I'll avoid using Google altogether.

I may actually switch to iPhone, just because Google is seriously pissing me off.

ktchong is offline  
Last edited by ktchong; December 25th, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 25th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KENNECTED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York, NY (Manhattan)
Posts: 979
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE & ASUS Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 436
Thanked 235 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktchong View Post
Is anyone else being offended by Google's more and more aggressive intrusive tactics?

Google keeps forcing people to use its Google+, and penalizes anyone who does not join its Google+. (Example: YouTube now is integrated with Google+; YouTube users can no longer post videos or comments without an active Google+ account.) Once you open a Google+ account, then Google wants you to give over your real name and real identity and everything, so Google can start profiling you. That is offensive. Once Google gets any of your information, it's impossible to get Google to permanently remove the information from Google.

Google is getting pushier and pushier. Most unfortunately, Android requires a Google account to use.

I've already deleted the Google+, YouTube (oh man, it's almost impossible to delete my YouTube account,) and all other Google services that are associated with my Android account. I am also deleting all my contacts on Google and moving them elsewhere. I created a "dummy" Google account for those services. So I can isolate my Android account from other Google services, and prevent Google from profiling me.

I have also stopped using Google search altogether... because Google really offends me. I've started m using Bing simply because I want to avoid Google. I'm glad I did because Bing gives away free Amazon gift cards with its Bing search points. (I shop almost exclusively on Amazon.)

I'm never using Google search again.

Also, I'm removing Google Maps, Navigator and all other Google services on my Android phone, and replacing them with other services. The only Google service I'll be using on Android is the unavoidable Google Play. Everything else, I'll avoid using Google altogether.

I may actually switch to iPhone, just because Google is seriously pissing me off.
No issue with it here. I think it adds credibility to the end user.

Since you are not using Google products, you should be all square and your issue is solved.
5280Man likes this.
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
nickdalzell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 3,221
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 89
Thanked 546 Times in 433 Posts
Default

You don't need a Google+ account, you need a Google Account period. Google+ and other 'Google Apps' use the same user ID kinda like how all Yahoo! Apps (Mail, Messenger, Flickr) use the Same Yahoo! ID.

The only gripe I have with Google lately is their search results usually get spammed with useless meta crawler pages such as askmefast or fixya
Crashdamage likes this.
__________________
Device(s):
Samsung Galaxy S4 **NEW** (GS3 screen finally shattered)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (non-rooted, stock)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (obsolete, slow, rooted)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
nickdalzell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 378
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 74 Times in 60 Posts
Default

And if you switch to iPhone then you'll be paranoid about apple profiling you. You will only be able to download stuff from the unavoidable app store or iTunes. Buy a "dumb" phone and stay off the internet if you don't want any company tracking you. Bing will track what you do just as much as Google.
Crashdamage likes this.
annebrooks64 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,762
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 870 Times in 700 Posts
Default

Use Duck Duck Go or Startpage. Both work on Android.

I don't like the push to + as I don't have anything to say, and if I want to blog, I'll use Livejournal. I don't post to Youtube. I don't do social sites. I took down all pics from Picasa, and deleted stuff from Blogger. I'm waiting to see if communities get taken over by idiots like some of the old Usenet ones did.

I have about 10 different account names, none of them my real one, and I'll be damned if I'm giving my real one out. I have email all over associated with each one.

I use the above search engines on XP and Ubuntu, have FX so locked down that Youtube mostly won't run - (I'll open Youtube in Iron) Bing is in the hosts file and so are Groupon and MSN. The Google search bar is not available. I won't use it anyway, so might as well hide it. Often turn GPS off, too. Don't need that except for weather and astronomy.

Phone is rooted, all social stuff and half of Google's stuff is gone. I don't need it. I know where I am, how to avoid rush hour, can find my friends without Google's help.
All local restaurants are lousy, so is any entertainment, and what I do buy is not readily available. Most items you have to purchase from a local dealer, so I subscribe to newsletters for most of those sites. I'm impervious to any advertising anyway - it's all BS. The fact that someone thinks they know what I want does annoy me.

I need my nature guides, road logs, ephemeris, and those don't run on dumb phones.
__________________
Sent by UFO
zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 119
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Allowing Google to profile us for target marketing is our way of paying for all the services we use. It's a very small price to pay for the convenience we get everyday from the use of their products. By integrating their products and making a tighter ecosystem they are able to offer better products that work seemless with each other. Personally, I like having one username and password. In today's world we sometimes get overwhelmed with what username and password did we use for that website or service. Google has streamlined this. Others have as well.

You have the option to use whatever email you want. Whatever search company you want. You have the option to use whatever service you want. You have chosen to use Google and its products for a reason. Because they're the best! Support them and enjoy the use of all their products for FREE!!
5280Man is offline  
Last edited by iowabowtech; December 26th, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 119
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Update: I just read the last line of your post. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the Apple ecosystem. It's a very good ecosystem as well. Hey, they're losing a huge market share to Google everyday, it will be good for them to gain someone in return.

Personally, I hope you choose to stay with Android. By your complaints it sounds like Google and Android is the best ecosystem for you. However, sometimes we have to step outside and test the waters somewhere else. Bing is a great search engine. Better than Google search? No, but very close to being equal. Bing collects just as much data on you as Google does. The only reason you aren't upset with Bing like you are with Google and how Google is forcing your hand with Youtube is because Microsoft does not have a service like Youtube. Let me clarify, they don't have a service as big and as developed and as polished as Youtube.

Each ecosystem has its advantages and strengths. Your daily habits will dictate which ecosystem is right for you.
5280Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 475
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 42
Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I'm just saying the US government or the EU government or BOTH need to bring anti-trust lawsuits to Google to set Google straight. What Google is doing with Google+, YouTube and its other services is just like what Microsoft was doing with Windows and Internet Explorer -- and that kind of anti-trust practice merits a lawsuits or two, or more.
ktchong is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 119
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Whoa!!!! Where did THAT come from?!? Slow down there kid. Who licked your lollipop? Cool down, it's Christmas after all. Merry Christmas my friend.
5280Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,925
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,190
Thanked 12,661 Times in 7,797 Posts
Default

@op, I moved your thread to the Google Forum and please don't think I did that to spite you based on your views of Google...it is not my intent
Just feel more folks can discuss this here, that's all
__________________




Click "Show" for my signature
Android Forums FAQ's
List of Staff
Mikestony is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikestony For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (December 25th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 119
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Google is not doing anything anti-trust and there's no need for the government to get involved. The IE lawsuits and this issue are totally different. Based on your argument, then computer manufacturers and car manufacturers should be sued by the government as well. If I buy a Chevy car why should I have to use their engine? Why can't I order it with the new Ford ecoboost engine? I like the ecoboost better so I should have the RIGHT to have it in my Chevy when I purchase it new. Don't go shoving your crappy engines down my throat Chevy. I want that ecoboost in my new Malibu damn it!!
5280Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jolly Bounty Hunter
 
NightAngel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,317
 
Device(s): HTC OneMax; Note 10.1; DROID DNA (retired);Transformer Prime(daughter); Rezound(retired); Droid In
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13,504
Thanked 6,328 Times in 3,873 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to NightAngel79
Default

Also, Ms didn't have to remove IE, they were just forced to give users a choice of browsers
NightAngel79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 119
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Let me explain: When you open a Youtube account or Gmail account you already have a G+ account. It's all the same account with many products. G+ is the product you use in your Google account to make posts. In addtion, you can still share youtube videos on FB. Nothing is preventing you from that. The reason Google isn't doing anything anti-trust is because you already conceded to using Youtube. It's ALL the same account my friend.

The reason this is different from the IE lawsuits is because Microsoft was intentionally preventing people from using other browsers and forcing them to use theirs. Google is NOT preventing you from using facebook. You can also share your youtube videos on facebook. I see why you may think this is an anti-trust issue, but it just isn't. There are differences. Enjoy the services that Google offers you for free and deal with the few, very very few, things they don't do that you think they should.
ocnbrze, KENNECTED and Crashdamage like this.
5280Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5280Man For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (December 25th, 2012)
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,762
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 870 Times in 700 Posts
Default

If you got your Google account right when Mail first started, you should be grandfathered to just mail. These other services were not available and it is fairly presumptive of Google to decide that everyone wants them. I don't even think that inclusion into everything Google planned was in the original TOS. They tried that with Buzz and there was such a stink, Buzz got dropped.

As each new service was added, it should have been offered as an option. If you want it, OK

Any Youtube accounts were opened before Google bought Youtube.
zuben el genub is offline  
Last edited by zuben el genub; December 25th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 119
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuben el genub View Post
If you got your Google account right when Mail first started, you should be grandfathered to just mail. These other services were not available and it is fairly presumptive of Google to decide that everyone wants them. I don't even think that inclusion into everything Google planned was in the original TOS. They tried that with Buzz and there was such a stink, Buzz got dropped.

As each new service was added, it should have been offered as an option. If you want it, OK

Any Youtube accounts were opened before Google bought Youtube.
While I do agree with you, Google does not say you have to use them. You do not have to use G+. You do not have to use Youtube or any other products you do not want to use. They are products that are apart of your account. Use what you want. Google is not forcing you to use any services. The Opening Poster wants to use Youtube but thinks that he is being forced to use G+. He's not. He wants to post on Youtube annonymously. He blames Google and G+ because he cannot do that. He sees a problem, I do not. There are many aspects to G+, posting on Youtube does not involve many many aspects of G+. When he posts on Youtube he is using his Google account. G+ is a product that is part of his account. For example, he can upload all his pictures into the cloud with DropBox. He doesn't have to use G+. He can use FB for all his social media and keeping up on friends. He can link his Android phone to FB.

Every ecosystem or product that has the option for comments or ratings requires you to have an account or a profile. How is Google any different than any other ecosystem or product for its requirements? He already has a Youtube account, what's the difference if he posts on Youtube with his FB account or Google account? It makes more sense to post with his Google account.
KENNECTED and Crashdamage like this.
5280Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,762
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 870 Times in 700 Posts
Default

I started my email under an alias when GMail first came out. The account I gave as a reference was an ISP (also an alias), and we dumped that ISP years ago. I haven't spammed or misused any service. Using my real name was not required and should not be required now.

My FB account is under a different name. Everything on there is marked "only me" as all I use FB for is for companies that do CS that way. I will not sign into a site using a login for another site. I also will not use a "like" button until the site gives me an "eff off" button to go with it. I simply got tired of a friend of a friend crap. So I went to the only me.

Twitter and Yahoo are under different names again. I am not aggregating any of them. I do not use automatic sign in - so I have to remember which account goes with what. With FX and Opera, everything gets dumped when I close the browser.

My big spat is the demographics and one size fits all. If I get ads, I want relevant ads. The questionnaires simply don't cover only hobbies. The minute you put in gender, you are condemned.
I've worked with demographics. I simply don't fit mine. Our buyers for air time told me I was the biggest PITA for advertising they had seen.

I'd also like Google to put a log out on the mobile web site. I usually use the computer and have to log in and out there.
zuben el genub is offline  
Last edited by zuben el genub; December 26th, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 119
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuben el genub View Post
I started my email under an alias when GMail first came out. The account I gave as a reference was an ISP (also an alias), and we dumped that ISP years ago. I haven't spammed or misused any service. Using my real name was not required and should not be required now.

My FB account is under a different name. Everything on there is marked "only me" as all I use FB for is for companies that do CS that way. I will not sign into a site using a login for another site. I also will not use a "like" button until the site gives me an "eff off" button to go with it. I simply got tired of a friend of a friend crap. So I went to the only me.

Twitter and Yahoo are under different names again. I am not aggregating any of them. I do not use automatic sign in - so I have to remember which account goes with what. With FX and Opera, everything gets dumped when I close the browser.

My big spat is the demographics and one size fits all. If I get ads, I want relevant ads. The questionnaires simply don't cover only hobbies. The minute you put in gender, you are condemned.
I've worked with demographics. I simply don't fit mine. Our buyers for air time told me I was the biggest PITA for advertising they had seen.

I'd also like Google to put a log out on the mobile web site. I usually use the computer and have to log in and out there.
Sounds like you found a way to operate on the internet that works for you. This would be an option for the OP. Hopefully he's still reading this and considers your way of operating rather than just complaining about the system.
5280Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,762
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 870 Times in 700 Posts
Default

The internet is one huge library, and the phone and tablet are library cards.
zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Google
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.