Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Viewsonic gTablet > gTablet - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,474
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default One week with Honeycomb

Hi Guys

It's been a week since I loaded up HC on my gtablet. Here's my current setup

Roebeet HC + Clemsyns kernel - overclocked to 1400mhz.

This combo ROM is based off of Bottle of Smoke 2.3. I find that this version is the most stable. I have tried upgrading to BoS 3.1 but ended going back. I haven't tried 3.2 or 3.3.

The differences between v2 BoS and v3 Bos is the v2 is based off of the Acer UI and v3 is based off of the Asus UI.

Asus UI is slightly faster but I prefer the Acer UI because it appears more stable and it has Dolby Mobile (EQ).

Issues:

Dolphin HD doesn't work. I love Dolphin so I'm kinda bummed about that. Stock browser is whatever. You can dl Opera or xscope but they are not like Dolphin HD.
No HD Youtube vids but that's ok for me.
No HD vids period. No matter what video player you end up installing. My dvd rips play fine with Rockplayer. They are all in avi format. Some of my mP4 files were choppy but they were HD files.
Some apps do force close from time to time. Like the Gallery but I ran fix permissions in Clockwork and it seemed to fix that.
Development has slowed down because of the Open GL issue. The developers need kernel devs to help with the HC kernel. I have no doubt they'll fix it but it might take awhile.
Camera is still broken. No biggie for me at least not yet.

Pros:

It looks really good. My tablet feels brand new. The HC apps that came preloaded run great. Google books, Youtube, Gmail, Calendar, Market...etc is awesome. Gtalk is ok. Gtalk vid doesn't work. This is the main reason why I wanted honeycomb just because of the tablet specific apps.

Clemsyns kernel is awesome with Bottle of smoke. Only thing is, you can only use CPU Master to overclock. SetCPU does not work.

I wouldn't call this an Alpha build anymore. I really think it's a beta at least the first beta release. For basic use, I think this HC rom is good to go.

I'm keeping this ROM for another week unless CM7.1 with Gtalk vid come out. Or if Vegan GB is update.....emphasis on if for Vegan.

__________________
My Drid does... your phne duhs...
xmr405o is offline  
Last edited by xmr405o; May 21st, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xmr405o For This Useful Post:
Aardvark1971 (June 5th, 2011), brad08stanggt (May 31st, 2011)
sponsored links
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmr405o View Post
Hi Guys

It's been a week since I loaded up HC on my gtablet. Here's my current setup

Roebeet HC + Clemsyns kernel - overclocked to 1400mhz.

This combo ROM is based off of Bottle of Smoke 2.3. I find that this version is the most stable. I have tried upgrading to BoS 3.1 but ended going back. I haven't tried 3.2 or 3.3.

The differences between v2 BoS and v3 Bos is the v2 is based off of the Acer UI and v3 is based off of the Asus UI.

Asus UI is slightly faster but I prefer the Acer UI because it appears more stable and it has Dolby Mobile (EQ).

Issues:

Dolphin HD doesn't work. I love Dolphin so I'm kinda bummed about that. Stock browser is whatever. You can dl Opera or xscope but they are not like Dolphin HD.
No HD Youtube vids but that's ok for me.
No HD vids period. No matter what video player you end up installing. My dvd rips play fine with Rockplayer. They are all in avi format. Some of my mP4 files were choppy but they were HD files.
Some apps do force close from time to time. Like the Gallery but I ran fix permissions in Clockwork and it seemed to fix that.
Development has slowed down because of the Open GL issue. The developers need kernel devs to help with the HC kernel. I have no doubt they'll fix it but it might take awhile.
Camera is still broken. No biggie for me at least not yet.

Pros:

It looks really good. My tablet feels brand new. The HC apps that came preloaded run great. Google books, Youtube, Gmail, Calendar, Market...etc is awesome. Gtalk is ok. Gtalk vid doesn't work. This is the main reason why I wanted honeycomb just because of the tablet specific apps.

Clemsyns kernel is awesome with Bottle of smoke. Only thing is, you can only use CPU Master to overclock. SetCPU does not work.

I wouldn't call this an Alpha build anymore. I really think it's a beta at least the first beta release. For basic use, I think this HC rom is good to go.

I'm keeping this ROM for another week unless CM7.1 with Gtalk vid come out. Or if Vegan GB is update.....emphasis on if for Vegan.
Thanks for the review man. Once they can get HD video playback and Dolphin HD I am sold.....still rocking Vegan 5.1.1 for now.
brad08stanggt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!
 
The_Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manchester, TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,956
 
Device(s): Note 3 (rooted & ROMmed), Galaxy Nexus (retired), OG Droid (retired)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2,486
Thanked 6,921 Times in 3,277 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad08stanggt View Post
.....still rocking Vegan 5.1.1 for now.
Is 5.1.1 THAT different from 5.1? What's been significantly improved that would make it worth the upgrade?

Just wondering...
__________________



If I have helped you at all, please click the "Thanks" button
Forum Rules & Guidelines
The_Chief is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,474
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chief View Post
Is 5.1.1 THAT different from 5.1? What's been significantly improved that would make it worth the upgrade?

Just wondering...
Here's the changelog...

List of fixes / enhancements in this supplement:
-Maps 5.1 with the rotation fix
-Market 2.2.11
-Updated drivers that should bump up Quadrant slightly, and significantly improves Nenamark scores
-Frame rate change from 50 to 60
-Replaced the Froyo keyboard with the Gingerbread keyboard
-Added Adam Sniffer app, and their keyboardas an option
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xmr405o For This Useful Post:
The_Chief (June 2nd, 2011)
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!
 
The_Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manchester, TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,956
 
Device(s): Note 3 (rooted & ROMmed), Galaxy Nexus (retired), OG Droid (retired)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2,486
Thanked 6,921 Times in 3,277 Posts
Default

Yeah I read the changelog on xda but didn't know if it was worth it to YOU... just wanted your opinion, that's all
The_Chief is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,474
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chief View Post
Yeah I read the changelog on xda but didn't know if it was worth it to YOU... just wanted your opinion, that's all
Oops, read it wrong.

The one change that I liked was the framerate tweak and the updated drivers. Might not be a big deal to some but I always like performance improvements no matter how insignificant.
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,474
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

New version of Bottle of Smoke fixed dolphin HD. Yay!
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

So...do you prefer 5.1.1 or HC? What version BoS?

Jay
JayP54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmr405o View Post
New version of Bottle of Smoke fixed dolphin HD. Yay!
What about the other HD issues you were having? Thanks......
bolts2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,474
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP54 View Post
So...do you prefer 5.1.1 or HC? What version BoS?

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolts2 View Post
What about the other HD issues you were having? Thanks......
For me, I don't think I'm coming back to 5.1.1. I'm gonna ride the HC train for the long haul. I do miss watching flash vids (justin tv, hulu, etc.) on my browser. I'm hoping someone will fix that soon but it's not a priority for me.

I'm currently on BoS 4.1. Dolphin HD works but there's an issue about mounting the SD card but you can still access with certain apps to view media. I use a USB thumbdrive for movies and mobo recognizes it so no big deal for me.

All the issues except for Dolphin that I mentioned on my first post are still present on BoS 4.1. There is an improvement in performance but no improvement on HD media.

FYI- There is another version of HC that LinuxBoxSolutions created and he said that he's concentrating on getting HD vids to work on his version of the HC Rom. I might have to check it out. I'm hoping he can at least get Youtube HD working. (crosses fingers)
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xmr405o For This Useful Post:
brad08stanggt (June 14th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmr405o View Post
For me, I don't think I'm coming back to 5.1.1. I'm gonna ride the HC train for the long haul. I do miss watching flash vids (justin tv, hulu, etc.) on my browser. I'm hoping someone will fix that soon but it's not a priority for me.

I'm currently on BoS 4.1. Dolphin HD works but there's an issue about mounting the SD card but you can still access with certain apps to view media. I use a USB thumbdrive for movies and mobo recognizes it so no big deal for me.

All the issues except for Dolphin that I mentioned on my first post are still present on BoS 4.1. There is an improvement in performance but no improvement on HD media.

FYI- There is another version of HC that LinuxBoxSolutions created and he said that he's concentrating on getting HD vids to work on his version of the HC Rom. I might have to check it out. I'm hoping he can at least get Youtube HD working. (crosses fingers)
def keeping my fingers crossed. I wish the devs that worked on Vegan could collaborate on a HC rom.
brad08stanggt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Viewsonic gTablet > gTablet - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.