Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Viewsonic gTablet > gTablet - Support and Troubleshooting

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 370
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - JellyBomb Detonation Asus Transformer Prime - NRG
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 61 Times in 48 Posts
Default USB Functionality?

I'm curious what all the USB port on the G Tablet is able to do. I know it will run external keyboards and USB drives, but what else is it capable of?

I guess my main question is regarding whether or not it will run any sort of audio interface. I work as an A/V tech, and if I do get the G-Tablet, I would like to use it for some audio testing, so I would need some sort of audio interface to plug in a mic, unless it has a TRRS headphone jack (the same kind of jack that most smartphones use for their headphone/mic headsets).

Zebulon is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rushmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,212
 
Device(s): GS4, Excite 7.7, iPad Air, Note 2014 10.1
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 363
Thanked 1,268 Times in 882 Posts
Default

Not sure if that would work, but my guess is probably not. What works for me with USB connection:

16, 32 and 64 gb thumbdrives fat 32

320 and 500 gb hard drives fat 32

Keyboards

Nothing else.
rushmore is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,474
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulon View Post
I'm curious what all the USB port on the G Tablet is able to do. I know it will run external keyboards and USB drives, but what else is it capable of?

I guess my main question is regarding whether or not it will run any sort of audio interface. I work as an A/V tech, and if I do get the G-Tablet, I would like to use it for some audio testing, so I would need some sort of audio interface to plug in a mic, unless it has a TRRS headphone jack (the same kind of jack that most smartphones use for their headphone/mic headsets).
the gtablet has a 3.5 mm headphone jack just like most smartphones. I haven't tried a headphone and mic combo on the 3.5 mm jack but I would assume it works because the gtablet has a builtin mic. Like what rush said, most thumbdrives work. The only thing that I found that did not work were optical drives like dvd players.
__________________
My Drid does... your phne duhs...
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 370
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - JellyBomb Detonation Asus Transformer Prime - NRG
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 61 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmr405o View Post
the gtablet has a 3.5 mm headphone jack just like most smartphones. I haven't tried a headphone and mic combo on the 3.5 mm jack but I would assume it works because the gtablet has a builtin mic. Like what rush said, most thumbdrives work. The only thing that I found that did not work were optical drives like dvd players.
Yeah, I know it has a headphone jack. My main question in regards to that is whether or not it has the second ring setup for a mic feed. I have and XLR/stereo -> 3.5mm TRRS adaptor that I use with my Mesmerize, but if the G-Tablet doesn't have the second ring, it wouldn't work.
Zebulon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,474
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulon View Post
Yeah, I know it has a headphone jack. My main question in regards to that is whether or not it has the second ring setup for a mic feed. I have and XLR/stereo -> 3.5mm TRRS adaptor that I use with my Mesmerize, but if the G-Tablet doesn't have the second ring, it wouldn't work.
Ahh I see, so if I get a handsfree headset with a mic and it works on the gtablet...are you sying it should also work with your TRRS adapter? I can test it out for you if you want but when I get home.
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 370
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - JellyBomb Detonation Asus Transformer Prime - NRG
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 61 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmr405o View Post
Ahh I see, so if I get a handsfree headset with a mic and it works on the gtablet...are you sying it should also work with your TRRS adapter? I can test it out for you if you want but when I get home.

Exactly! A standard smartphone headset should work just fine as long as it has the TRRS input/output jack.
Zebulon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
Not sure if that would work, but my guess is probably not. What works for me with USB connection:

16, 32 and 64 gb thumbdrives fat 32

320 and 500 gb hard drives fat 32

Keyboards

Nothing else.
edit - was having a prob but managed to get it to read an SD after going to USBdisk folder and unplugging/replugging device
new2tablets is offline  
Last edited by new2tablets; February 18th, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I managed to get most of the files copied I wanted to. But I can't seem to move the audio files from removable media to the g. Can someone tell me how I specify the correct directory to drop the files?
new2tablets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,474
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2tablets View Post
I managed to get most of the files copied I wanted to. But I can't seem to move the audio files from removable media to the g. Can someone tell me how I specify the correct directory to drop the files?
Are you getting an error message when trying to transfer the media files or are you not finding them on your G?

Not sure if you know this already but...for the G. If you go into file manager, SDcard=Internal memory and SDcard2=the microsd card. For USB thumbdrives, it should be under USB Storage.
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No error - Maybe I was just not navigating to the correct folder. Will spend some more time on it. thanks
new2tablets is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rushmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,212
 
Device(s): GS4, Excite 7.7, iPad Air, Note 2014 10.1
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 363
Thanked 1,268 Times in 882 Posts
Default

dupe post
rushmore is online now  
Last edited by rushmore; February 24th, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmr405o View Post
Ahh I see, so if I get a handsfree headset with a mic and it works on the gtablet...are you sying it should also work with your TRRS adapter? I can test it out for you if you want but when I get home.
Did you happen to give it a try? Any luck?
itmgr99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,474
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itmgr99 View Post
Did you happen to give it a try? Any luck?
The handsfree headset that I had was the one I used for my HTC Touch Pro and it didn't fit in the mini usb jack. I guess they are different.

Sorry for not updating.
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 370
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - JellyBomb Detonation Asus Transformer Prime - NRG
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 61 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itmgr99 View Post
Did you happen to give it a try? Any luck?
I tried it on my G-Tablet, and it doesn't work. I don't think the headphone jack is TRRS like I was hoping it would be. No biggie, though. I still love it.

Also, the USB port does not recognize an audio interface when it is plugged in, but it will power my M-Audio Fast Track USB interface. That means I can't record to the tablet, but if I wanted to, I can use the Fast Track and the G Tablet as a headphone amp.
Zebulon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulon View Post
I tried it on my G-Tablet, and it doesn't work. I don't think the headphone jack is TRRS like I was hoping it would be. No biggie, though. I still love it.

Also, the USB port does not recognize an audio interface when it is plugged in, but it will power my M-Audio Fast Track USB interface. That means I can't record to the tablet, but if I wanted to, I can use the Fast Track and the G Tablet as a headphone amp.
Bummer. After I found FourTracks Lite/Pro in the market I was getting my hopes up... :-(
itmgr99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 370
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - JellyBomb Detonation Asus Transformer Prime - NRG
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 61 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itmgr99 View Post
Bummer. After I found FourTracks Lite/Pro in the market I was getting my hopes up... :-(
Yeah, I was hoping for a bit more flexibility as well, but I guess that's what I have my laptop for if I need it.
Zebulon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: P-Burgh
Posts: 10
 
Device(s): Le Sigh, Moto Droid Droid Inc Fascinate Evo 4G Epic 4G (stoked)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I installed a kernel last night by Clemsyn over at XDA, and apparently it adds some USB driver functionality. I'm not sure how to tell or test whether it does or not, but I have had thumb drives work. I guess the kernel supports gamepads, which would make playing Goldeneye on the N64 emulator amazing.
RedBear'n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

does any tablet including a windows tablet allow me to plug in a "microscope camera
salemend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 370
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - JellyBomb Detonation Asus Transformer Prime - NRG
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 61 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemend View Post
does any tablet including a windows tablet allow me to plug in a "microscope camera
At this point, I don't think so, but once Ice Cream Sandwich rolls out, I believe that I have heard that UBS functionality will be increased significantly.
Zebulon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Viewsonic gTablet > gTablet - Support and Troubleshooting
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.