Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire HD

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
tedrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Language/locale changed to English (France) - why?

Hello.

I have a Desire HD which was originally purchased from play.com in the UK.

The locale settings for the phone will not let me select "English (UK)", it will only let me select "English (France)".

Also the box that the device came in is in French and the instructions are in French also.

Could it be that I do not have a UK version of the device, even though it was originally purchased from play.com in the UK?

Is there anything that I can do about this, and will it affect the phone in any way or affect how I use apps, like Amazon MP3, for example?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements
tedrogers is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,797
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 11,358
Thanked 7,035 Times in 4,310 Posts
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrogers View Post
Hello.

I have a Desire HD which was originally purchased from play.com in the UK.

The locale settings for the phone will not let me select "English (UK)", it will only let me select "English (France)".

Also the box that the device came in is in French and the instructions are in French also.

Could it be that I do not have a UK version of the device, even though it was originally purchased from play.com in the UK?

Is there anything that I can do about this, and will it affect the phone in any way or affect how I use apps, like Amazon MP3, for example?

Thanks in advance.
Hello and welcome to AF!

It does sound like you have a French DHD... it shouldn't cause you any problems.

Does your UK sim card work in the phone? If so, then I think that means that you have an unbranded DHD (better than having one that is carrier branded, as there won't be loads of bloatware on the phone).

I don't think you should have any problems with accessing the Android Market and can't imagine you having a problem Amazon MP3... have you tried to use either of them? Amazon MP3 is free on the Market (https://market.android.com/search?q=amazon+mp3&so=1&c=apps), so worth a try at downloading!

If you have any issues, let us know and someone will have the answer for you!!
__________________
See something that needs Mod attention? Hit and let us know
Free online storage @ Dropbox - use my link & we both get 500MB extra (when you install Dropbox)
D-U-R-X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 557
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 30
Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts
Default

If you go to Settings -> About Phone -> Software information, what Android version and Software number does it report? This will help to ascertain whether your phone is running the latest standard unbranded version of the software.
john_g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
tedrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-U-R-X View Post
Hello and welcome to AF!

It does sound like you have a French DHD... it shouldn't cause you any problems.

Does your UK sim card work in the phone? If so, then I think that means that you have an unbranded DHD (better than having one that is carrier branded, as there won't be loads of bloatware on the phone).

I don't think you should have any problems with accessing the Android Market and can't imagine you having a problem Amazon MP3... have you tried to use either of them? Amazon MP3 is free on the Market (https://market.android.com/search?q=amazon+mp3&so=1&c=apps), so worth a try at downloading!

If you have any issues, let us know and someone will have the answer for you!!
Hi,

HTC also confirmed this:

Code:
 In regards to the region of your HTC Desire HD, I can help you with that.

I can confirm that your Desire HD is indeed a French ROM, unfortunately we cannot change this to a UK ROM due to slight differences between regional models. Your best bet is to speak to play.com and see if they can change it for you.

I am sorry that i could not be of more help at this time, please do not hesitate to contact us again if required.
As they won't swap it, I used MoreLocale 2 from the app market and this seems to have fixed it for now at least.

Thanks for your reply.
tedrogers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
tedrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_g View Post
If you go to Settings -> About Phone -> Software information, what Android version and Software number does it report? This will help to ascertain whether your phone is running the latest standard unbranded version of the software.
Hi,

I think it's all up to date.

Android 2.3.3
Software 2.50.405.2

The phone is unbranded and works with my Virgin SIM no problem.

Thanks.
tedrogers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,797
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 11,358
Thanked 7,035 Times in 4,310 Posts
Default

At least it's working! You could have a word with play though... see what they say - you never know, they may give you something!!
D-U-R-X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
tedrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-U-R-X View Post
At least it's working! You could have a word with play though... see what they say - you never know, they may give you something!!
Unfortunately I bought it second hand, but didn't want to tell HTC that. So I don't think play.com are going to be helpful, especially as I don't have the proof of purchase.
tedrogers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,797
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 11,358
Thanked 7,035 Times in 4,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrogers View Post
Unfortunately I bought it second hand, but didn't want to tell HTC that. So I don't think play.com are going to be helpful, especially as I don't have the proof of purchase.
Ahhh... I see! Have you considered rooting your device?
D-U-R-X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
tedrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-U-R-X View Post
Ahhh... I see! Have you considered rooting your device?
I've only had it a week. I did have plans to S-OFF, Root it and install a custom ROM. But as a Linux user I know how harmful root access can be, and right now the stock rom works fine. When I get bored with the device, I will probably root and custom ROM it, but right now I'll just keep it as is....especially as I've heard stories of instability with custom ROMs.

This is the whole reason I went for HTC and not iCrap...so I have fix it until it breaks!
tedrogers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,797
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 11,358
Thanked 7,035 Times in 4,310 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrogers View Post
I've only had it a week. I did have plans to S-OFF, Root it and install a custom ROM. But as a Linux user I know how harmful root access can be, and right now the stock rom works fine. When I get bored with the device, I will probably root and custom ROM it, but right now I'll just keep it as is....especially as I've heard stories of instability with custom ROMs.

This is the whole reason I went for HTC and not iCrap...so I have fix it until it breaks!
Fair comment mate... have to say though... rooting is worth it... I'm on a 2 year contract and the ability to change roms is gonna mean that I shouldn't get bored of the phone too soon. So far I've only tried a few... actually put CyanogenMod 7 on my phone within 1 month of getting it and haven't looked back... I did try another rom for a day or so, but went back to CM7 - it's vanilla android. Pretty stable and slick as... I'd recomend it to anyone!!
D-U-R-X is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
tedrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-U-R-X View Post
Fair comment mate... have to say though... rooting is worth it... I'm on a 2 year contract and the ability to change roms is gonna mean that I shouldn't get bored of the phone too soon. So far I've only tried a few... actually put CyanogenMod 7 on my phone within 1 month of getting it and haven't looked back... I did try another rom for a day or so, but went back to CM7 - it's vanilla android. Pretty stable and slick as... I'd recomend it to anyone!!
Thanks for the recommendation on CyanogenMod 7...I will certainly give it a go once I become bored with the stock OS.

Cheers!
tedrogers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Desire HD
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Desire HD is the big-screened successor to the HTC Desire, a device that took much of Europe by storm when launched in the spring of 2010. The Desire HD followed during fall of the same year, earning its title from a large 4.3-inch display,... Read More

Tags
desire hd, dhd, english, france, locale


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire HD
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.