Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire HD

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!
Thread Author (OP)
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 26,599
 
Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 14,028
Thanked 15,826 Times in 8,494 Posts
Default Sense 3.0 Update - Known issues so far

This is just a temp sticky whilst the update is ongoing, it will contain a list of known issues and if available solutions:
  • No Mobile Internet.
    Fix: This will either sort itself, or merely looking at your APN settings will sort it.

  • Incoming Call Problems
    Fix: A factory reset seems to sort, as does unlinking your handset from your facebook account.

  • Car Mode Broken
    Fix: None at this time (The app looks to have been completely removed).

  • SD Card Corruption (It's discussed a little in that thread, but there are others). This one too.
    Fix: Try a new SD Card.

Feel free to post here if it's a new issue and I can update this thread. Can you stick to the threads linked above though if your problem has already been mentioned please (just so we can keep things tidy )

__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines / Staff List / Ask the Staff
Want to bring naughty posts to our attention? Use:
Be respectful to each other - That's what we're all about.
El Presidente is online now  
Last edited by El Presidente; December 22nd, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to El Presidente For This Useful Post:
dusanokanovic (January 29th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Inverness
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): HTC Deire HD (Unbranded) on O2,HTC Deire HD (Unbranded) on Orange
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Car mode isn't broken its been removed completely , although I did manage to stumble into it yestertday, I'll try to find how I got it again
dudley02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dudley02 For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (December 21st, 2011), El Presidente (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z1, Sony Xperia Z, Nexus 7, HP Touchpad (Rooted)
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley02 View Post
Car mode isn't broken its been removed completely , although I did manage to stumble into it yestertday, I'll try to find how I got it again
Yeah i think if you go into location app there is the option on the top bar for clicking in car mode?
BigBrisy is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBrisy For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (December 21st, 2011), El Presidente (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,408
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: Orange

Thanks: 10,316
Thanked 6,673 Times in 4,122 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrisy View Post
Yeah i think if you go into location app there is the option on the top bar for clicking in car mode?
That sounds promising... I don't have Sense on my DHD - could someone verify this and we will change the info on the top of the sticky!
__________________
See something that needs Mod attention? Hit and let us know
Free online storage @ Dropbox - use my link & we both get 500MB extra (when you install Dropbox)
D-U-R-X is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D-U-R-X For This Useful Post:
El Presidente (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 79
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I can confirm you can access it from the locations widget, but I don't have any licenses for the maps so can't access it fully. I hit the car icon and it prompts me to use a voucher, sync/buy a license or cancel.
HecklerUK is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HecklerUK For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,408
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: Orange

Thanks: 10,316
Thanked 6,673 Times in 4,122 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecklerUK View Post
I can confirm you can access it from the locations widget, but I don't have any licenses for the maps so can't access it fully. I hit the car icon and it prompts me to use a voucher, sync/buy a license or cancel.
Thanks Heckler - good to know it works, but shame it still gives you (what sounds like) the same result as some others have said!

You wouldn't have thought that HTC could do that... I thought that the car panel was "Google Car" and, as such, they shouldn't be blocking access... 'specially as (I imagine) you can use the free Google Maps for that!
D-U-R-X is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 79
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Is there a way to force the phone to use google maps/navigation instead of the HTC one?


I'm not entirely sure that the car icon on the locations widget takes you to the car screen... I can see a map in the background with the pop up asking me to buy/sync a license... not the car dash screen.

I've checked through all of the apps and cannot see it installed at all.
HecklerUK is offline  
Last edited by HecklerUK; December 21st, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!
Thread Author (OP)
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 26,599
 
Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 14,028
Thanked 15,826 Times in 8,494 Posts
Default

Their car mode used to be free though?

If ARHD is based on the same source, I might flash that later and see if I get similar results.
El Presidente is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merseyside
Gender: Male
Posts: 90
 
Device(s): HTC One X Plus, Desire HD, Samsung S2x2, Sony Experia, Sony Tablet S, old Wildfire.
Carrier: 02 and Tesco

Thanks: 14
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Well, regarding the incoming call issue, I have just received another HTC update to my phone and as far as I can tell for now it has cured the problem.

So my advice is to check for further updates guys.
Driftfog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Inverness
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): HTC Deire HD (Unbranded) on O2,HTC Deire HD (Unbranded) on Orange
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Just downloading the update now it says its an update for the locations app
dudley02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 21st, 2011, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Inverness
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): HTC Deire HD (Unbranded) on O2,HTC Deire HD (Unbranded) on Orange
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Ok well update applied and I can't see any difference so far, it's.now redownloading all the navigation files so looks like this update only applies to the location app so unsure why it would have helped with the calls issue you had, perhaps they have snuck in a bug fix without saying
dudley02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merseyside
Gender: Male
Posts: 90
 
Device(s): HTC One X Plus, Desire HD, Samsung S2x2, Sony Experia, Sony Tablet S, old Wildfire.
Carrier: 02 and Tesco

Thanks: 14
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Ive tried calling the phone two or three times since the update and its now working fine, the only thing I have done out of the norm other than the update was to remove the battery to get the phone code and then replace the battery again.
Driftfog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 01:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Not sure if this is applicable, but whenever I exit the Tapatalk App. My phone hangs and goes in an inifite loop about sending a report to HTC Sense unless I select force close. This will then initiate a quick restart of the phone.
Jasonc488 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
ivicakc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Croatia
Gender: Male
Posts: 317
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD CyanogenMod 10.1 M3 by Mustaavalkosta
Carrier: tele2

Thanks: 188
Thanked 116 Times in 86 Posts
Default

...and cpu on my dhd work on 100% most of the day...
ivicakc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 01:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merseyside
Gender: Male
Posts: 90
 
Device(s): HTC One X Plus, Desire HD, Samsung S2x2, Sony Experia, Sony Tablet S, old Wildfire.
Carrier: 02 and Tesco

Thanks: 14
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Well thats this one not fixed, it just happened again, the wife called and I couldnt answer the call so the update today did nothing, it worked when using the land line to test but not when a mobile called.

(edit)Okay this is really strange, my phone is on Tesco using the 02 network, my wife is on 02 and I have the problem with her phone only up to now.
My son is on the same network as me and his come through fine to my phone, also the landline works fine.
Driftfog is offline  
Last edited by Driftfog; December 21st, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kildare, Ireland
Gender: Female
Posts: 631
 
Device(s): Desire HD Nexus 7
Carrier: Vodafone IE

Thanks: 83
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecklerUK View Post
Is there a way to force the phone to use google maps/navigation instead of the HTC one?


I'm not entirely sure that the car icon on the locations widget takes you to the car screen... I can see a map in the background with the pop up asking me to buy/sync a license... not the car dash screen.

I've checked through all of the apps and cannot see it installed at all.

The app "Select other Map for HTC" allows you to choose google maps as the default navigation map rather than locations.
Goreygirl is offline  
Last edited by Goreygirl; December 21st, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kildare, Ireland
Gender: Female
Posts: 631
 
Device(s): Desire HD Nexus 7
Carrier: Vodafone IE

Thanks: 83
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Hmm ... looks like HTC Location Navigation has become a paid service?

I've just updated my maps and opened it and the following message has popped up:

Your phone includes 30 days of free premium navigation. You'll need a data connection to activate navigation. You can activate later by going to "menu - get more". The free period starts from the first time you use navigation. Please use it no more than 28 days after you activate"

I then have the option to activate now or later.

The car icon in the corner seems to be this "activation" point also.

Gg
Goreygirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merseyside
Gender: Male
Posts: 90
 
Device(s): HTC One X Plus, Desire HD, Samsung S2x2, Sony Experia, Sony Tablet S, old Wildfire.
Carrier: 02 and Tesco

Thanks: 14
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Ive noticed that too Goreygirl.

I have just unsynced (is that a word?) my wife and removed the facebook details and now I can answer her calls fine when the phone is locked....now is that a smart move, Im not sure?
Driftfog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 12:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 131
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Default

I faced the incoming call issue until I noticed that USB Debugging was off.. I turned it on and it's been two days since I have faced the problem...
Might be a fluke.. but worked for me
punk_19 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 12:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,408
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: Orange

Thanks: 10,316
Thanked 6,673 Times in 4,122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreygirl View Post
Hmm ... looks like HTC Location Navigation has become a paid service?

I've just updated my maps and opened it and the following message has popped up:

Your phone includes 30 days of free premium navigation. You'll need a data connection to activate navigation. You can activate later by going to "menu - get more". The free period starts from the first time you use navigation. Please use it no more than 28 days after you activate"

I then have the option to activate now or later.

The car icon in the corner seems to be this "activation" point also.

Gg
I was sure that HTC offered a premium (paid for) Navigation service before.

Could you try telling it that you want to activate later and then try using the car dock? Just to see if you can access it without using their premium navigation app?

Cheers!
D
D-U-R-X is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Also noticed that there is no "Car Panel" app listed any more after the last update.

However, the Car Panel isn't totally gone:
Starting the "Locations" app and pressing the Car icon near the top right does bring up the old car panel application.

Pressing "menu" -> "get more" (the shopping basket icon) brings up the "My licenses and contents" screen, where my previously purchased navigation license is shown. (I did initially after the update get a message that my 30 day trial had expired and needed to purchase a license, but that was apparently a false warning).

Annoyingly, I still get a status message about needing to update my maps every time "Locations" is started. Don't know how many times I've downloaded these maps now, but still get the same alert. Go figure ...

Even stranger, I just updated maps for Canada and Germany, and the Canada map version number went from 5.755 down to 5.676, the german version from 5.757 to 5.676. Lower version numbers after update!?
eoxaal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Preston
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): HTC HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi!

I am new to this forum so please be gentle with me! I have only been on here for a few minutes but can already tell that this site is going to prove very useful for finding answers and chatting about all things Android!

One problem that I have had since updating to 2.3.5. is the loss of mobile internet! I have to manually switch off the wifi connection so that mobile internet through my provider is restored - it used to automatically flip between the two (selecting wifi if available) with the older software. A minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, I know but it is an embuggerence nonetheless!

Merry Christmas to all you Androiders out there!
ajjm65 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!
Thread Author (OP)
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 26,599
 
Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 14,028
Thanked 15,826 Times in 8,494 Posts
Default

Welcome! Merry Christmas to you too.
El Presidente is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 274
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Ouya
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 2
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

No stability problems, but the new look I don't like at all.

And it lost some of my widgets when it updated. I'm having a look at rooting again now, not a fan of Sense as it is, but 3.0 is worse
RussWWFC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,408
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: Orange

Thanks: 10,316
Thanked 6,673 Times in 4,122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussWWFC View Post
No stability problems, but the new look I don't like at all.

And it lost some of my widgets when it updated. I'm having a look at rooting again now, not a fan of Sense as it is, but 3.0 is worse
Alright Russ... If you do want to go for it re rooting, go to the first thread in the All Things Root section... There's a one click tool for it, relatively straight forward... I'd do it using the Ubuntu live cd, as it seems to be easiest!
D-U-R-X is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fleetwood, United Kingdom
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): HTC One X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default Out going call problem.

Hi all, I've updated my dhd to sense 3 and also done the recent locations update. My problem is when making an out going call it dials ok but automatically turns on the speaker. Which I then have to press to turn off before someone answers! Bit annoying especially if I forget and have phone to my ear, burst ear drum anyone lol. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
cupraman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 527
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 165 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussWWFC View Post
And it lost some of my widgets when it updated.
You mean they disappeared from your home screens or you can't find them in the widget lists? I lost a lot of my homescreen widgets when I upgraded, but simply added them back in - no problem. The only issue I found was that, to get HTC widgets back, I had to select them from the HTC widget list and then, when they didn't appear on-screen, I found that I could now select them on the standard widget list, whereupon they appeared on the homescreen. In other words, whereas adding an HTC widget used to be as simple as selecting it from the HTC widget list, it is now a two-step process: first selct it from the HTC widget list (which will add it to the standard widget list) and then select it from the standard widget list.

Hope that makes sense!
john_g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Further to these querries on premium navigation, my car panel app on the Desire HD has stopped working. When I select a destination or try to go through locations I get the following message: "To use this application, you must have at least 15MB storage card space. Please reserve 15MB space from your storage card and try again later."
I have already re-formatted the SD card which has over 6GB space and the phone memory has over 1GB. HTC don't know what to do!!!!

Any ideas.

Thanks.

Chris.
chris999 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kildare, Ireland
Gender: Female
Posts: 631
 
Device(s): Desire HD Nexus 7
Carrier: Vodafone IE

Thanks: 83
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-U-R-X View Post
I was sure that HTC offered a premium (paid for) Navigation service before.

Could you try telling it that you want to activate later and then try using the car dock? Just to see if you can access it without using their premium navigation app?

Cheers!
D
Hi D

it doesn't work...if I click on the car icon in locations it immediately asks me for the licence key and won't let me go any further without it. I don't even get the 30 day free trial message anymore

Gg
Goreygirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,408
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: Orange

Thanks: 10,316
Thanked 6,673 Times in 4,122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreygirl View Post
Hi D

it doesn't work...if I click on the car icon in locations it immediately asks me for the licence key and won't let me go any further without it. I don't even get the 30 day free trial message anymore

Gg
Gutted Gg... bit of a pain in the backside!
D-U-R-X is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 30th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Search people is gone also i noticed. Had a shortcut to this that now just shows the android symbol. Can't find it anywhere.

Now you go into people and search is incorporated at the top, seems like a good thing.
lucids is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:01 AM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 16
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: O2 UK

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Can someone tell me, bottom line, is it worth actually bothering to upgrade to 2.3.5?

The 4 problems mentioned so far seem a lot of hassle just to update a phone..I want to just update and carry on using without any hassle.

The mobile data problem seems perfectly simple to sort, but whats majorly putting me off is
1) The car mode thing with it asking for people to pay now, as I use it quite often when im travelling the uk as its better than most of my friends dedicated sat navs
2) The incomming call problems as I have most people in my contacts linked to facebook and things set up nicely. I dont want to go through the hassle of either having to remove all the facebook details and readding/relinking everyone, or worse yet having to do a factory reset if I get hit with that issue.
3) And now I read theres an issue with the update frying the SD cards like last years update!!

So am I just better off staying on 2.3.3?
The latest update seems to involve 2 possible counts of having to fork out more money, and the other two time to sort out.
crippsy_99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 11:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippsy_99 View Post
Can someone tell me, bottom line, is it worth actually bothering to upgrade to 2.3.5?

The 4 problems mentioned so far seem a lot of hassle just to update a phone..I want to just update and carry on using without any hassle.

The mobile data problem seems perfectly simple to sort, but whats majorly putting me off is
1) The car mode thing with it asking for people to pay now, as I use it quite often when im travelling the uk as its better than most of my friends dedicated sat navs
2) The incomming call problems as I have most people in my contacts linked to facebook and things set up nicely. I dont want to go through the hassle of either having to remove all the facebook details and readding/relinking everyone, or worse yet having to do a factory reset if I get hit with that issue.
3) And now I read theres an issue with the update frying the SD cards like last years update!!

So am I just better off staying on 2.3.3?
The latest update seems to involve 2 possible counts of having to fork out more money, and the other two time to sort out.
On O2 uk and I did lose data connection on update but fixed in 2 mins.
1) The car mode gave access to premium navigation which as far as i remember was always a 30 day free trial then paid for. This was provided by Route 66 and those that had it I read never rated it, i believe it couldn't even do postcode search. Now with the update that is reset and it seems there is another 30 day free trial on selecting locations which then updates. The other thing in the car panel was google turn by turn voice navigation which is still available in the apps, though you will need to re install text to speech from the market. (you're prompted when you 1st open it).

2) I have 100's of FB contacts linked...not had any problem.

3) I have a 32 Gb SD card in during the update and have had no problems there either.
lucids is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 02:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kildare, Ireland
Gender: Female
Posts: 631
 
Device(s): Desire HD Nexus 7
Carrier: Vodafone IE

Thanks: 83
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Must admit I only noticed the Car mode thing when others said about it as I've always used Google maps for navigation straight from the Navigation icon.

My 32g card has also been fine.

The whizzy screen thing is a minor irritation but I do find my screens respond faster in general and it is handy being able to access my 4 most used apps from sleep mode.

Battery life is main downer for me but not everyone is having that issue.
Goreygirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Screen flicker/image

Since uplifting to current release of Sence, I notice that the top left corner of my display 'randomly' flickers. this can occasionally be reproduced by scrolling round the home screens. I have also on occasion, seen it attempt to display an icon for an app, held on another home screen to that which is current.
It began about 1 icon in size top left corner with just 'flashing' pixelated purple or pink but has now migrated to two icon sizes, the second directly below the first.
I've tried hard re-sets etc phone has not been subject to impact.
Am I alone? Can anyone suggest fix?
Thanks for your time.
wonko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:18 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Haven't noticed any display flickering, maybe you have a hardware issue.

I have noticed that when you now go into messages it now takes significantly longer to associate numbers with the names in the address book.

If I scroll down the messages I have to wait several seconds for the numbers to become names. Previously this was all but instantaneous.
lucids is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #37 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Coincidentally, I recently removed Google+ as a clear out of an unused app. That seems to have cleared up the flickering wouldn't like to suggest it as a fix though...
wonko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

video recording codec has changed resulting (for me) in a "codec not supported" message on my samsung tv (ue40D5000) using DLNA sharing

bought the tv 3 weeks ago as DLNA was working perfectly, untill the update
kitcarfreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #39 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default HTC Locations Maps no longer work

I had lots of maps downloaded for when travelling abroad. Since the upgrade HTC Locations says I need to download the latest versions of these maps. On the phone they were/are v5.676, on the Get Maps screen it shows as v5.757. When I download the latest maps the version number stays at v5.676 & problem still there. So I am unable to use offline maps like I did before. Tried downloading the Route 66 versions of these maps but they are newer (v5.772) & dont work in HTC Locations. Tried uninstalling the maps, clearing the cache, but still got this problem.

Anyone else managing to use HTC Locations downloaded maps? What versions of the maps are they (shown in Get More > My licenses)?
mikedroid7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kildare, Ireland
Gender: Female
Posts: 631
 
Device(s): Desire HD Nexus 7
Carrier: Vodafone IE

Thanks: 83
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedroid7 View Post
I had lots of maps downloaded for when travelling abroad. Since the upgrade HTC Locations says I need to download the latest versions of these maps. On the phone they were/are v5.676, on the Get Maps screen it shows as v5.757. When I download the latest maps the version number stays at v5.676 & problem still there. So I am unable to use offline maps like I did before. Tried downloading the Route 66 versions of these maps but they are newer (v5.772) & dont work in HTC Locations. Tried uninstalling the maps, clearing the cache, but still got this problem.

Anyone else managing to use HTC Locations downloaded maps? What versions of the maps are they (shown in Get More > My licenses)?
Locations is now a fee paying satnav and from what I gather most have given up on it....use Maps instead? You can download a certain amount of map in advance...think it's 10 miles square ...to save having to use data connection 'on the road'.
Goreygirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 527
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 165 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreygirl View Post
Locations is now a fee paying satnav and from what I gather most have given up on it....use Maps instead? You can download a certain amount of map in advance...think it's 10 miles square ...to save having to use data connection 'on the road'.
Also - although I've not tried it myself - I understand that planned routes are cached so that a data connection isn't required whilst on the move. How well this can cope with deviations from the original route, I don't know.
john_g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #42 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Locations

Locations is still FREE. You only have to pay for a licence if you want navigation instructions & I dont need it for navigating. Google maps caching is useless - only 10sq miles at a time & it assumes you had the time, patience & Wifi link to pre-cache areas. With Locations (Route 66) you get a whole country so just preload before you travel & then you are good to go. I used it last summer & it worked just great. I had all of western Europe, so with your phone you have instant access to street level mapping plus info on amenities - hotels, bars, restaurants, shops, etc & you don't get charged a penny for it - just turn on GPS to get your location.

I've tried Route 66, but it is not as good as Locations which makes nearby attractions easier to search for.
mikedroid7 is offline  
Last edited by mikedroid7; January 18th, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 527
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 165 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedroid7 View Post
Locations is still FREE. You only have to pay for a licence if you want navigation instructions & I dont need it for navigating. Google maps caching is useless - only 10sq miles at a time & it assumes you had the time, patience & Wifi link to pre-cache areas. With Locations (Route 66) you get a whole country so just preload before you travel & then you are good to go. I used it last summer & it worked just great. I had all of western Europe, so with your phone you have instant access to street level mapping plus info on amenities - hotels, bars, restaurants, shops, etc & you don't get charged a penny for it - just turn on GPS to get your location.

I've tried Route 66, but it is not as good as Locations which makes nearby attractions easier to search for.
I don't use Locations, but have had a play with it so as to be able to give you some feedback.


When I launched it, I found that, bizarrely, the only map already downloaded was "France V 5.757". This is odd because I am confident I played with Locations many months ago, certainly prior to recent firmware updates, and had the United Kingdom map on the phone too. Anyway, I downloaded the United Kingdom V 5.757 map without any issues and it all seems to run as expected.


You say you've tried using Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications to clear the cache. On my phone I see several apps listed that appear to be parts of Location, so I wonder whether you've cleared the cache and data for all of those?


You also say you've deleted the existing maps but that they seem to come back. I assume that you're deleting them from within the app, but have you used a file explorer app to delete them directly from the SD card? It's hard to understand how old versions of the maps can come back if they've been deleted, so I wonder whether the app isn't really removing them, maybe only hiding them.


On my phone, the maps are being downloaded to the following location:
/sdcard/.data/navigator/Data/Maps (note the dot before "data", meaning that you'll have to unhide hidden directories for it to become visible)


The maps are stored as "France.cmap" and "United Kingdom.cmap"
john_g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #44 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 41
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD (retired), HTC One X (sold), HTC One X+, HTC One
Carrier: DiGi

Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I am from Malaysia and would like to share the problems encountered with my Desire HD. Updated to the latest software, 3.13.707.4 with sense 3.0, two weeks ago. I was happy for the first day or so. Then I started to encounter some problems. There is a lag is the SMS displaying the name, an occasional flicker in the display screen, the widget for agenda does not show the current date the next day, some of the birth dates before 1/1/1970 are showing an extra day in the date. Example if the correct date is 12 but it shows 13. But the funny thing the extra day only shows in the view screen not in the edit screen of people.
When I create a short cut for a contact the icon changes such that no photo is seen of the contact. But the latest to happen is the phone freezes. I cannot get any widget to work or the screen to scroll. Have to use the menu at the bottom to work the phone. The only solution is to re-start the phone and wait for it to freeze again. I firmly think it is the phone software.
The HTC service centre has formatted the phone and that did not resolve the issues.
Apparently I am the only one to complain the above locally here. At this moment HTC has no solution as yet. I have requested them to down grade the software but this too they need to get some instructions from the head office as it has not been done before. They have no replacement board with the earlier software only the latest. I am a little disappointed as there were no issues in any updates I did for the last year until now. Perhaps I should have taken heed of some comments here in the forums about this update. Looks like I may have to wait since the phone is still under warranty.
Cheers.
ajeet is offline  
Last edited by ajeet; January 19th, 2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #45 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_g View Post
I don't use Locations, but have had a play with it so as to be able to give you some feedback.


When I launched it, I found that, bizarrely, the only map already downloaded was "France V 5.757". This is odd because I am confident I played with Locations many months ago, certainly prior to recent firmware updates, and had the United Kingdom map on the phone too. Anyway, I downloaded the United Kingdom V 5.757 map without any issues and it all seems to run as expected.


You say you've tried using Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications to clear the cache. On my phone I see several apps listed that appear to be parts of Location, so I wonder whether you've cleared the cache and data for all of those?


You also say you've deleted the existing maps but that they seem to come back. I assume that you're deleting them from within the app, but have you used a file explorer app to delete them directly from the SD card? It's hard to understand how old versions of the maps can come back if they've been deleted, so I wonder whether the app isn't really removing them, maybe only hiding them.


On my phone, the maps are being downloaded to the following location:
/sdcard/.data/navigator/Data/Maps (note the dot before "data", meaning that you'll have to unhide hidden directories for it to become visible)


The maps are stored as "France.cmap" and "United Kingdom.cmap"
John_g,

thanks for your feedback. Sorry I didn't explain myself fully. What I did was to use Locations to delete the maps to make sure they were gone as far as the application was concerned. I checked also that they had been deleted in the directory you mentioned. Then I downloaded 1 map. On the download screen it shows as v5.757 but after the map was downloaded it shows up in the installed maps view as v5.676. I looked at the file contents from my PC & I see v5.676 embedded within this file. So Locations is definitely downloading the wrong version for me. Very wierd. I looked at the files under /sdcard/.data/navigator & couldn't see anything related to this version number other than a phone.dat file which lists the version numbers of maps you have downloaded. But there must be a setting somewhere, or how come you get to download the correct version? It would be great to know the URL where these maps came from, so I could manually download the correct version.

I tried Locations with a map downloaded with the Route66 map - these are a slightly newer version but it didn't seem to like it. I will try out Route66 instead, but it is not integrated into the phone the same way as Locations is & feels sluggish in comparison.

With regards to clearing out the cache, yes, there are lots of Locations apps. I just selected the main Locations and Locations Launcher apps & did "clear data", since these were the ones that had data associated with them.
mikedroid7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 527
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 165 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Mike - does this help?

HTC locations keeps downloading maps - xda-developers
john_g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Telus HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well, just got the 2.3.5 update from Telus... and my phone is FUBARED. Takes forever to start up, sometimes runs fine for a few minutes, sometimes is just dead slow... and after 5-10 minutes it just reboots.

It's like there's some app or service that's loading that's hanging and forcing the phone to reboot... is there a logfile anywhere I can check to see what's going on??
Soundy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #48 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_g View Post
I solved the problem with Locations. I found that under Settings > Locations there is an option to re-install it. So I deleted the cached version of Locations using Task manager, re-started the phone & re-installed Locations. Now it is downloading the correct version of maps. Hurrah.
mikedroid7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #49 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 35
 
Device(s): HTC One X Asus Eee Pad Transformer
Carrier: Orange (Sim Free)

Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Loading

Since i upgraded i seem to get a white screen then wait a minute while the home screen loads up again especially after using dolphin browser etc. this happens quite alot during the course of the day, frustrated now any ideas?
sparksuk71 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kildare, Ireland
Gender: Female
Posts: 631
 
Device(s): Desire HD Nexus 7
Carrier: Vodafone IE

Thanks: 83
Thanked 114 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksuk71 View Post
Since i upgraded i seem to get a white screen then wait a minute while the home screen loads up again especially after using dolphin browser etc. this happens quite alot during the course of the day, frustrated now any ideas?
I'm having a similar issue with Opera... am going to uninstall and reinstall the app to see if that sorts it as deleting data and cache didn't
Goreygirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Desire HD
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Desire HD is the big-screened successor to the HTC Desire, a device that took much of Europe by storm when launched in the spring of 2010. The Desire HD followed during fall of the same year, earning its title from a large 4.3-inch display,... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire HD
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.