Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire HD

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default DHD Software Updates and ROM

Hi;

My trusty DHD bought a year ago SIM Free from Carphone Warehouse went through the wash and is kaput. Having recently moved to Germany with the Army I replaced it with another DHD SIM Free but bought from a T Mobile Partner called TKS?

Although this phone is SIM Free and not tied to a Network Provider when it boots up it has an annoying Pink ..... T splash screen and does not whsitle the standard HTC tune instead it has a horribly tinny tune akin to an old phonic tune handset.

I have just installed a software update and the phone is now at version 1.75.111.2.

Couple of questions:

1. Can I install a ROM update that will make this a truely independant phone I.E return the standard HTC Splash Screen (Which now appears after the T Mobile splash screen), if so how.

2. Will this ROM completly reset my phone (nothing on it yet).

3. I checked for another sofwtare update and it now shows that update 2.3 is available (Is this Gingerbread) and should I install it or wait until rebuilding the ROM?

4. I am using the same SIM card that was in my old phone but none of the original contacts appear to be on the SIM (Strange as when I bunged this SIM card into my wifes old iPhone they all appeared on her phone. Why are they not visible on this new phone, I have tried the import contacts from SIM. Is it maybe this is not a completely SIM Free Phone?

5. My old SD card appears to be OK, although I now have another blank 8GB card. My photos and videso are still on it would my contacts be on it?

Many thanks and that's all for now.


JonnyAlpha is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 26,656
 
Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 14,051
Thanked 15,865 Times in 8,521 Posts
Default

Hey Jonny, welcome to AF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyAlpha View Post

1. Can I install a ROM update that will make this a truely independant phone I.E return the standard HTC Splash Screen (Which now appears after the T Mobile splash screen), if so how.
Installing a ROM will replace the HTC splash screen, but as far as I'm aware the T-Mobile one will remain. If rooted, you can change that, but it's not something I've done. Running an RUU might change it, but you'd need a goldcard and I can't say for sure whether or not it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyAlpha View Post
2. Will this ROM completly reset my phone (nothing on it yet).
Yeah, you'll be starting from scratch, you can back up apps and data if you're rooted with an app called Titanium. If there's nothing there to backup though, there's no reason to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyAlpha View Post
3. I checked for another sofwtare update and it now shows that update 2.3 is available (Is this Gingerbread) and should I install it or wait until rebuilding the ROM?
What do you mean by rebuilding, installing all your apps again, or installing another ROM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyAlpha View Post
4. I am using the same SIM card that was in my old phone but none of the original contacts appear to be on the SIM (Strange as when I bunged this SIM card into my wifes old iPhone they all appeared on her phone. Why are they not visible on this new phone, I have tried the import contacts from SIM. Is it maybe this is not a completely SIM Free Phone?
Open the phonebook, hit menu and there should be more options or view? I can't remember on the stock ROM, do you have an option to show/hide sets of numbers?

If they're on the SIM, I'll give you instructions on how to link them to your gmail account so they're there when/if you change handsets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyAlpha View Post
5. My old SD card appears to be OK, although I now have another blank 8GB card. My photos and videso are still on it would my contacts be on it?
They might be, did you export them to the SD Card at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyAlpha View Post
Many thanks and that's all for now.

No worries, hope some of that helped. Feel free to ask again if not.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines / Staff List / Ask the Staff
Want to bring naughty posts to our attention? Use:
Be respectful to each other - That's what we're all about.
El Presidente is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Many thanks for the reply.

It was the T Mobile splash screen that I was hoping to remove, I bought this advertised (new) as SIM free but it appears to have T Mobile embedded in it!!!

to clear up my question ref Gingerbread, what I meant was if i decided to flash a new ROM to get rid of the T Mobile stuff, should I do that before or after I install Gingerbread i.e. if I flash a new ROM will it remove any software updates I have already done?

Contacts appear not to on either my old SIM or on my old SD card, they must have been in the phones built in memory?

Ta
JonnyAlpha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
hocturnalsoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gloucestershire
Posts: 104
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD - Rooted Rom - RCMix3D V4.0 Motorola Xoom 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
hocturnalsoul
Default

You will more than likely find a generic ROM that is Gingerbread, therefore there would be no need to do the update as your device will be completely wiped before it can install the new ROM, which of course will then install the Gingerbread build. Of course you should back everything up that is on the device. Make sure that your contacts are eith on your sim card, SD card or Google account.
hocturnalsoul is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocturnalsoul View Post
You will more than likely find a generic ROM that is Gingerbread, therefore there would be no need to do the update as your device will be completely wiped before it can install the new ROM, which of course will then install the Gingerbread build. Of course you should back everything up that is on the device. Make sure that your contacts are eith on your sim card, SD card or Google account.
Where would I locate a generic DHD HTC ROM with Gingerbread and instructions on how to install without bricking my DHD?

Ta
JonnyAlpha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
ALL CAPS
 
CDPlant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,602
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 675
Thanked 926 Times in 561 Posts
Default

Are you after something like this? It is completely stock - [ROM][DEC 8] Official RUU_Ace_Sense30_S_HTC_WWE_3.12.405.1 STOCK ROOTED - xda-developers
CDPlant is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CDPlant For This Useful Post:
D-U-R-X (March 3rd, 2012)
Reply

HTC Desire HD
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Desire HD is the big-screened successor to the HTC Desire, a device that took much of Europe by storm when launched in the spring of 2010. The Desire HD followed during fall of the same year, earning its title from a large 4.3-inch display,... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire HD
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.