January 19th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Thread Author (OP)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Faulty (unresponsive) Micro-USB
I thought I'd share this with everyone as there is little to no information about this problem on here or Google.
The micro-USB port on the phone fails to respond when connected to a mains charger or to a USB port.
- No LED indicator when a micro-USB cable is attached to the phone and a power oulet
- The phone and PC fail to recognize each other when connected via a USB cable
- Using alternative and identical USB cable and charger produces the same result
- The accessories work fine with an alternative identical device
- Replacing the battery with an identical one produces the same result
- Removing the battery for several hours fails to resolve the problem
- The phone has not been rooted
- The device is protected with a full body protector and housed in a gel case
- Although well looked after, admittedly the device was dropped from a height of 1m onto concrete shortly before the problem occurred
Provided your device was purchased within 24 months, it can be repaired for free under warranty via HTC. I recommend you call your local support centre because they are very quick and efficient. They picked my device up by UPS the following day (Monday) and delivered it back on the Friday - all for free!
Unfortunately only 2 months after repair, it has developed the exact same fault. I asked how it was resolved previously (I assumed it was a hardware problem i.e. the micro-USB port needed to be re-soldered) and was told it was just re-flashed. I'm a bit skeptical and worried that it may happen again, however HTC's support is so professional that I am happy for them to repair it again.
Hope this information helps those who experience the same problem.