Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Htc desire 2g/3g

Okay i just got a 18 month contract with Orange for the HTC Desire yesterday.

Most things are fine but i noticed that when i turn the 3G off all together (to save battery) i can't connect to the internet at all (2G or Edge). I have never seen my phone on 2/2.5 G and i went to the guy who works on carphone warehouse today and he can connect his phone to the internet on 2G/HSDPA (when the 3G is off), but i can't.

Should i return it or am i doing something wrong because i dont always to be connected to 3G to be able to use the internet.

sammyvine is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Luton UK
Posts: 399
 
Device(s): Google Nexus S Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyvine View Post
Okay i just got a 18 month contract with Orange for the HTC Desire yesterday.

Most things are fine but i noticed that when i turn the 3G off all together (to save battery) i can't connect to the internet at all (2G or Edge). I have never seen my phone on 2/2.5 G and i went to the guy who works on carphone warehouse today and he can connect his phone to the internet on 2G/HSDPA (when the 3G is off), but i can't.

Should i return it or am i doing something wrong because i dont always to be connected to 3G to be able to use the internet.
What exactly do you mean when you say 'turn the 3G off all together'? Are you referring to setting your phone to 'GSM only'? Why on Earth would anyone want to do that? There's no point that I can see. You should just leave it on auto.

I'd also seriously doubt that the guy at CPW can get HSDPA on GSM. As far as I'm aware HSDPA is based on WCDMA and would only be available on that.
Anthony1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 98
 
Device(s): HTC Desire, HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
What exactly do you mean when you say 'turn the 3G off all together'? Are you referring to setting your phone to 'GSM only'? Why on Earth would anyone want to do that? There's no point that I can see. You should just leave it on auto.
Using GSM only saves a MASSIVE amount of battery life, for me atleast 24 hours.

I only use 3g when I need it, no point in leaving it on when it's not needed
Wardogz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
What exactly do you mean when you say 'turn the 3G off all together'? Are you referring to setting your phone to 'GSM only'? Why on Earth would anyone want to do that? There's no point that I can see. You should just leave it on auto.

I'd also seriously doubt that the guy at CPW can get HSDPA on GSM. As far as I'm aware HSDPA is based on WCDMA and would only be available on that.
You know when you go to setting and untick mobile network off to save battery.

Most people with the HTC Desire can turn mobile network off but still have Edge/2G on and browse but obviously very slow.

I can't get on the internet at all, only when i tick the mobile network in settings and that allows me to connect to the net on 3G + only.
sammyvine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Luton UK
Posts: 399
 
Device(s): Google Nexus S Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardogz View Post
Using GSM only saves a MASSIVE amount of battery life, for me atleast 24 hours.

I only use 3g when I need it, no point in leaving it on when it's not needed
You'd be better off putting a widget on your desktop to turn off/on mobile data altogether. You'd save more power than just running permanently on GSM
Anthony1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Luton UK
Posts: 399
 
Device(s): Google Nexus S Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyvine View Post
You know when you go to setting and untick mobile network off to save battery.

Most people with the HTC Desire can turn mobile network off but still have Edge/2G on and browse but obviously very slow.

I can't get on the internet at all, only when i tick the mobile network in settings and that allows me to connect to the net on 3G + only.
No they can't. If you turn mobile data off then it's off. The only thing you can do is get phone calls and text messages.
Anthony1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
No they can't. If you turn mobile data off then it's off. The only thing you can do is get phone calls and text messages.

Hmmm, so howcomes the Carphone Warehouse guy and most i know can get 2G/Edge but i can't when it's off. Am i doing something wrong?
sammyvine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Luton UK
Posts: 399
 
Device(s): Google Nexus S Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyvine View Post
Hmmm, so howcomes the Carphone Warehouse guy and most i know can get 2G/Edge but i can't when it's off. Am i doing something wrong?
No. you are doing it right. They clearly aren't turning off mobile data. You can't turn mobile data off and then still get mobile data.
Anthony1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
No. you are doing it right. They clearly aren't turning off mobile data. You can't turn mobile data off and then still get mobile data.
Can you ever go on Edge or 2G? I never can?
sammyvine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Luton UK
Posts: 399
 
Device(s): Google Nexus S Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyvine View Post
Can you ever go on Edge or 2G? I never can?
Why would you ever want to do that? I sometimes get EDGE or 2G if I'm in a weak signal area, and I can force it by setting GSM only, but it's not something I'd want. Why would you want 2g over 3g?
Anthony1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Why would you ever want to do that? I sometimes get EDGE or 2G if I'm in a weak signal area, and I can force it by setting GSM only, but it's not something I'd want. Why would you want 2g over 3g?
Lol, i thought people use 2G to save battery? That's what the man was saying anyway, maybe he confused me?

I thought 2g was used just to browse basic things instead of using 3G. When you turn the mobile network off, you can use Edge/2G.

I have never seen the edge sign on my phone so i thought i didnt have it and therefore maybe my internet settings were wrong?
sammyvine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Luton UK
Posts: 399
 
Device(s): Google Nexus S Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Saving battery life is a hot topic, as you can see by looking around the threads. It's also a bit of a black art, with some people claiming to get 36 hours of battery life whilst constantly on youtube, with others saying their phone is dead after 5 hours on standby.

There are many different tips and 'tricks' but I've never seen anyone really advocate using only 2G. Although it's true, that 2G (GSM) will use less battery than 3g (WCDMA) when in use, the standby time when not in use is about the same. In fact I think that WCDMA is actually better. You'd be better off turning off mobile data altogether when not in use, but it depends upon your usage pattern of course, and your signal type and strength in your location.

I'd advise you to just leave your phone as it is for at least a few days and see how you get on. If you find your battery life is bad then start looking at things to save power. You'll find a lot more things will affect battery life more than simply switching to 2G
Anthony1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rtb35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 521
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr XT910 Motorola Xoom MZ604
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 131 Times in 106 Posts
Default

If you want to use 2g only you could use a widget like 2g-3g onoff,but all it does is take you to the settings menu where you can turn it on/off.

2G-3G OnOff - Android app on AppBrain

Using the mobile network widget turns off all mobile internet,i use it all the time and it does save you alot of battery life.

The internet symbols on the taskbar go as follows,slowest first:
G,E,3G,H.

So G and E are basically 2G,
3G IS 3G
and H is sometimes referred to as 3.5G.

Hope that helps a little.
rtb35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 96
 
Device(s): HTC Desire-Orange UK
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
What exactly do you mean when you say 'turn the 3G off all together'? Are you referring to setting your phone to 'GSM only'? Why on Earth would anyone want to do that? There's no point that I can see. You should just leave it on auto.
Because Orange's 3G network is sh*t but does work reliably - albeit uselessly slow - over 2G

Leaving it on auto doesn't work - the phone will connect to 3G with a strong signal but you just get no data across the connection.
rasobey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 96
 
Device(s): HTC Desire-Orange UK
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

And to the OP:

1) Turning off "connect to the internet" on the Desire will turn off ALL mobile data, 2G, 3G, 10G, whatever.
2) You want to put the phone to GSM only, instead of "WCDMA/GMA auto" in mobile network options. I think that's what you want to achieve in post 4 in this thread?
rasobey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Luton UK
Posts: 399
 
Device(s): Google Nexus S Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasobey View Post
Because Orange's 3G network is sh*t but does work reliably - albeit uselessly slow - over 2G

Leaving it on auto doesn't work - the phone will connect to 3G with a strong signal but you just get no data across the connection.
LOL Fair enough. I'm on Vodafone and they seem to be pretty good, at least where I am
Anthony1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 54
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I have to say that I do switch from 2g to 3g, I only switch back to 3g when i need a data intensive app.

I still get data on 2g all my facebook and email updates fine but my battery life seems ALOT better on 2g, i think it is because i am in a poor 3g reception area.
bigr1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigr1979 For This Useful Post:
Longfellow78 (July 22nd, 2010)
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigr1979 View Post
I have to say that I do switch from 2g to 3g, I only switch back to 3g when i need a data intensive app.

I still get data on 2g all my facebook and email updates fine but my battery life seems ALOT better on 2g, i think it is because i am in a poor 3g reception area.

Thats what i dont get, do i have 2g on my phone because i have never been on it before or Edge?

How do you switch to 2G?
sammyvine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Luton UK
Posts: 399
 
Device(s): Google Nexus S Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyvine View Post
How do you switch to 2G?
Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile networks > Network mode

Change it to GSM only.
Anthony1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 04:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile networks > Network mode

Change it to GSM only.

Lol ive done that but i wanna change back, what was i on before lol?
GSM/WCDMA auto or WCDMA only?
sammyvine is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 21st, 2010, 04:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Luton UK
Posts: 399
 
Device(s): Google Nexus S Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyvine View Post
Lol ive done that but i wanna change back, what was i on before lol?
GSM/WCDMA auto or WCDMA only?
Auto.
Anthony1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hello,
you can also use Internet OnOff Free application from android market
https://market.android.com/details?id=internetOnOffFree.vv.android.developmen t.com

you can easily disable your data on non CDMA phones with one click and you don't need to go to your phone menu
Wencaaa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Desire
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Desire is one of the latest high end phone by HTC bringing a huge 3.7" inch high quality AMOLED screen for crystal clear viewing, powered by a 1 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and runs on, you guessed it, Android. We first heard a... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.