Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blush How to log out of Gmail?

Today my Desire has made me feel dumb. I cannot figure out how to log out of Gmail... I want to do this, because i dont like the idea of always being logged in and someone possibly entering my Gmail and stealing my identity if my phone gets stolen

Does anyone know?

Advertisements
flabbergast is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swadlincote, Derbyshire
Posts: 317
 
Device(s): HTC One X, Asus TF101, Huawei MediaPad 7"
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Default

You can stop the emails syncing but you can't actually log out, unless its the browser version of Gmail you are using?
If your worried about people accessing the info on the phone your better off turning the lock on so you have to unlock it when you switch your phone on. There are also apps on the market that will disable and delete data from your phone remotely if you lose it.
JasonC is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JasonC For This Useful Post:
flabbergast (June 4th, 2010)
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
You can stop the emails syncing but you can't actually log out, unless its the browser version of Gmail you are using?
If your worried about people accessing the info on the phone your better off turning the lock on so you have to unlock it when you switch your phone on. There are also apps on the market that will disable and delete data from your phone remotely if you lose it.
I have the lock on and also app protected with a passcode. Still i imagine there are ways around that if someone knows what hes doing.

Pity i cant log off... i should have never logged in
flabbergast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swadlincote, Derbyshire
Posts: 317
 
Device(s): HTC One X, Asus TF101, Huawei MediaPad 7"
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Default

If someone is good enough to crack your lock code and passcode then I'm sure login out of your email isn't going to stop them either! If your that worried about it you just need to be as vigilant as you would on your PC.
JasonC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lover
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default Re: How to log out of Gmail?

Have you heard of wave secure? You should use this. Read about it in the site, but it allows you to remotely lock, backup and wipe your phone, not to mention track it down.

Very good piece of mind
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 30
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

i use the widget LockPattern OnOff every time I am living mu house. If anyone finds my phone, they have to crack it and it gives me some time to at least chage my password.
gooner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
If someone is good enough to crack your lock code and passcode then I'm sure login out of your email isn't going to stop them either! If your that worried about it you just need to be as vigilant as you would on your PC.
The ppl after me are that good
No but ppl dont need to crack your lock code or passcode all the time right? There must be other ways to access a locked phone right? Even i sometimes manage to access apps which were supposedly protected by my passcode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekky View Post
Have you heard of wave secure? You should use this. Read about it in the site, but it allows you to remotely lock, backup and wipe your phone, not to mention track it down.

Very good piece of mind
Heard of it, but its expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
i use the widget LockPattern OnOff every time I am living mu house. If anyone finds my phone, they have to crack it and it gives me some time to at least chage my password.
Hmm i guess changing the PW could help... what if i change the PW on my gmail from my home PC? Will my desire still be logged in?
flabbergast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,300
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5, S3, Moto G,
Carrier: EE (Tmobile)

Thanks: 66
Thanked 162 Times in 145 Posts
Default

You could try https://www.mylookout.com/ as an alternative to wave secure.
nx1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swadlincote, Derbyshire
Posts: 317
 
Device(s): HTC One X, Asus TF101, Huawei MediaPad 7"
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekky View Post
Have you heard of wave secure? You should use this. Read about it in the site, but it allows you to remotely lock, backup and wipe your phone, not to mention track it down.

Very good piece of mind
Thanks for the info on Wavesecure, I've just bought it and it works very well!
JasonC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lover
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

Expensive?? How much do they charge now? I got it when it first came out, and they gave free lifetime membership to try and get people on board.
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 17
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Don't worry about it, if your phone is stolen then just use the remote logout feature built into gmail.

Remote sign out and info to help you protect your Gmail account - Official Gmail Blog
betty is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to betty For This Useful Post:
Markg (June 6th, 2010)
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekky View Post
Expensive?? How much do they charge now? I got it when it first came out, and they gave free lifetime membership to try and get people on board.
Its 20 bux a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx1977 View Post
You could try https://www.mylookout.com/ as an alternative to wave secure.
Ill check it out, thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty View Post
Don't worry about it, if your phone is stolen then just use the remote logout feature built into gmail.

Remote sign out and info to help you protect your Gmail account - Official Gmail Blog
Very handy, thanks
flabbergast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swadlincote, Derbyshire
Posts: 317
 
Device(s): HTC One X, Asus TF101, Huawei MediaPad 7"
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty View Post
Don't worry about it, if your phone is stolen then just use the remote logout feature built into gmail.

Remote sign out and info to help you protect your Gmail account - Official Gmail Blog
This will not work if your using Gmail app on your phone, it will only work if you access Gmail through the browser. But even then, if you are logged out and you had set the browser to remember your login details, the user who has stolen your phone can still login.
JasonC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swadlincote, Derbyshire
Posts: 317
 
Device(s): HTC One X, Asus TF101, Huawei MediaPad 7"
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Default

I paid the 15 for wavesecure after trying out the trial, 15 per year isn't bad to provide peace of mind and it works very well.
JasonC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,300
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5, S3, Moto G,
Carrier: EE (Tmobile)

Thanks: 66
Thanked 162 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
I paid the 15 for wavesecure after trying out the trial, 15 per year isn't bad to provide peace of mind and it works very well.
They do a trial? If you installed before the end of march, it became free for life providing you stay on an android device.
nx1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swadlincote, Derbyshire
Posts: 317
 
Device(s): HTC One X, Asus TF101, Huawei MediaPad 7"
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Yes you get a 7 day trial. Unfortunately I did not know about the app until Lekky mentioned it in this thread so I missed out on the free for life offer.
JasonC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What is the benefit of WaveSecure, compared to Lookout tho?
They both seem to be doing rather similar things, but Lookout is free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
This will not work if your using Gmail app on your phone, it will only work if you access Gmail through the browser. But even then, if you are logged out and you had set the browser to remember your login details, the user who has stolen your phone can still login.
What happens if you change the PW to your gmail account on your home PC? Will it log out your mobile?
flabbergast is offline  
Last edited by flabbergast; June 6th, 2010 at 05:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swadlincote, Derbyshire
Posts: 317
 
Device(s): HTC One X, Asus TF101, Huawei MediaPad 7"
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabbergast View Post
What is the benefit of WaveSecure, compared to Lookout tho?
They both seem to be doing rather similar things, but Lookout is free?



What happens if you change the PW to your gmail account on your home PC? Will it log out your mobile?
The main things you can't do in Lookout is lock the phone remotely, lock the phone automatically if the SIM is changed, wipe your phone and also control all of these options using SMS from buddies phones (that you can set). Wavesecure also logs all call data so you can see what numbers have been dialled/received. It also has an extra security option so if wavesecure is uninstalled by a thief it locks the phone automatically with a secondary program that is installed, and visa versa.

I guess if you change your password in gmail then the phone will not be able to access your emails but if any have already been downloaded then these can probably be accessed.
JasonC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 30
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
The main things you can't do in Lookout is lock the phone remotely, lock the phone automatically if the SIM is changed, wipe your phone and also control all of these options using SMS from buddies phones (that you can set). Wavesecure also logs all call data so you can see what numbers have been dialled/received. It also has an extra security option so if wavesecure is uninstalled by a thief it locks the phone automatically with a secondary program that is installed, and visa versa.

I guess if you change your password in gmail then the phone will not be able to access your emails but if any have already been downloaded then these can probably be accessed.
hi
It all seems fine.
My only question though is: what if a thief or someone who found a phone on the bus simply takes the simcard out and throws it away? Will the program protect the phone even then?
I know it's off topic and isn't about gmail, but since you talk about wave secure I would like to know.
gooner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lover
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
hi
It all seems fine.
My only question though is: what if a thief or someone who found a phone on the bus simply takes the simcard out and throws it away? Will the program protect the phone even then?
I know it's off topic and isn't about gmail, but since you talk about wave secure I would like to know.
wavesecure will yes, it even has an option to wipe and or lock the phone if a new sim card is inserted.
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,300
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5, S3, Moto G,
Carrier: EE (Tmobile)

Thanks: 66
Thanked 162 Times in 145 Posts
Default

It'll also try and connect to open WiFi points to report back location and allow remote kill
nx1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wave Secure sounds awesome... but my moneys
These kinda security features should comes standard with phones imo
flabbergast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

For anyone not willing to shell out money NetQin Antivirus FREE can be downloaded from Market. As the name suggests it's free. Features Anti-Virus, Contacts Backup, Anti-Lost and Privacy Protection. Got it for its Anti-Lost, don't even use the rest. Anti-Lost offers Remote locate, Remote delete, Remote lock, Remote alarm and Report when SIM change. At initial setup one selects Anti-Lost PW and registers another cell number to get reports in case the phone is lost. Remote commands can be sent by SMS from any cell to the lost phone. Remote lock command, for example, is lock*password*. After the command is sent the lost phone sends a confirmation SMS back to sender. Fortunately I haven't had to use it for real but haue tested each option and it has worked flawlessly every time. App doesn't store on SD card but it doesn't take up much space. All configured it comes at 1.82 MB. It even says that it doesn't use GPS to drain the battery. My phone is htc DHD 2.3.3.

BTW Back to the original question - any way to log out of Gmail (using the Gmail app on the phone)? Thanks.
Larrypseto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:24 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s): HTC One HTC Sensation XE HTC Desire 2.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Watchdroid does all the good bits of all of those mentioned, including extra loud ring to help you locate your phone if you misplaced it... will turn on ring even if phone was previously on silent .....
__________________
If this has helped, hit the thanks button, it's only small but it means a lot....
firedesire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I can't find any way to log out off gmail in Android. But if you want to log out for once, change your gmail password(in a computer). The next time you open gmail/gtalk in your android, it will not login automatically. You have to login using new password.
cyraja is offline  
Last edited by cyraja; June 28th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabbergast View Post
Today my Desire has made me feel dumb. I cannot figure out how to log out of Gmail... I want to do this, because i dont like the idea of always being logged in and someone possibly entering my Gmail and stealing my identity if my phone gets stolen

Does anyone know?
The Answer is Yes!!! ... Open your Gmail --> Press Menu --> More --> Settings --> Account settings ... and there you are....change your e-mail address ... Hope it helps!! I changed mine too (HTC Incredible S)
moalemtur11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Desire
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Desire is one of the latest high end phone by HTC bringing a huge 3.7" inch high quality AMOLED screen for crystal clear viewing, powered by a 1 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and runs on, you guessed it, Android. We first heard a... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Desire
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.