Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid DNA

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AntimonyER
  • 1 Post By AntimonyER

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Looking for some clarification about keeping unlimited data

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give some insight on keeping unlimited data with Verizon. I know that there was some posts from earlier in the year where people said it was possible, but I was wondering if it has changed since then.

First off, I read that some people were able to use a line upgrade from a different phone to get the subsidized price of their new phone and then switch it over to their unlimited line.

So...what if I have 2 lines on my contract that aren't smart phone lines (have no data). If I use one of those upgrades to get the DNA at $199, does that mean I will be forced to purchase a data plan for that line which I will be stuck with for 2 years?

I really want to get the DNA tomorrow to replace my Thunderbolt that I've had since it got released, but I use at least 4gb a month in data and there is no way I'm paying $70 for that on a shared plan when I have unlmited for $29.99 now.

Can anyone give me some insight on this? Thanks!

sandoichi is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
untitled1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, HP TouchPad
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 129
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I'd suggest playing around online now as if you were going to buy it. Without actually finalizing the purchase, see what it tells you if you try to add the phone to certain lines. You can get to the point where it's telling you what contract features you're adding or dropping, and still cancel the whole transaction at that point.
untitled1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,546
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,016
Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoichi View Post
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give some insight on keeping unlimited data with Verizon. I know that there was some posts from earlier in the year where people said it was possible, but I was wondering if it has changed since then.

First off, I read that some people were able to use a line upgrade from a different phone to get the subsidized price of their new phone and then switch it over to their unlimited line.

So...what if I have 2 lines on my contract that aren't smart phone lines (have no data). If I use one of those upgrades to get the DNA at $199, does that mean I will be forced to purchase a data plan for that line which I will be stuck with for 2 years?

I really want to get the DNA tomorrow to replace my Thunderbolt that I've had since it got released, but I use at least 4gb a month in data and there is no way I'm paying $70 for that on a shared plan when I have unlmited for $29.99 now.

Can anyone give me some insight on this? Thanks!
After you upgrade the phone on one of your dumbphone lines, reactivate the dumbphone on the line. That will allow you to remove that $30 data fee. Then just add the DNA to your line with the Thunderbolt. I have done this in the store, and the CSRs knew what to do. But it only works through Verizon stores, as 3rd party retailers charge you an ETF if you drop the data charge. Verizon doesn't.
Bob Cat likes this.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AntimonyER For This Useful Post:
Bob Cat (November 25th, 2012), NightAngel79 (November 20th, 2012), sandoichi (November 21st, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 270
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Default

When I went through to pre-order my DNA, it had me select my plan options, etc. It automatically dropped my unlimited data and selected the 2GB/$30 option. When I called to ask someone about this, they said this would apply to all customers making the switch from 3G unlimited to a new LTE phone.
Interestingly, back when the S3 came out is when Verizon started switching people to the 2GB/month data option. A friend of mine had his plan switched without any sort of prompt, he called up Verizon and they gave it back to him. I think at this point, there's nothing that can be done to keep unlimited data when upgrading to a LTE phone. I'm just thankful that I'm nearly always in range of a decent wifi signal!
defkorn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,546
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,016
Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by defkorn View Post
When I went through to pre-order my DNA, it had me select my plan options, etc. It automatically dropped my unlimited data and selected the 2GB/$30 option. When I called to ask someone about this, they said this would apply to all customers making the switch from 3G unlimited to a new LTE phone.
Interestingly, back when the S3 came out is when Verizon started switching people to the 2GB/month data option. A friend of mine had his plan switched without any sort of prompt, he called up Verizon and they gave it back to him. I think at this point, there's nothing that can be done to keep unlimited data when upgrading to a LTE phone. I'm just thankful that I'm nearly always in range of a decent wifi signal!
Not true, you can switch to a 4G phone without losing unlimited. What you can't do is use a subsidized upgrade to get it on your unlimited line. By doing what the OP is asking about, you aren't using an upgrade on the unlimited line, and therefore will keep unlimited.
Bearcats likes this.
AntimonyER is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntimonyER For This Useful Post:
jreed2560 (November 24th, 2012), NightAngel79 (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 270
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
Not true, you can switch to a 4G phone without losing unlimited. What you can't do is use a subsidized upgrade to get it on your unlimited line. By doing what the OP is asking about, you aren't using an upgrade on the unlimited line, and therefore will keep unlimited.
Ahh, I missed that part. Thanks for clearing things up for me!
defkorn is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to defkorn For This Useful Post:
NightAngel79 (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the replies.

So if I go down there today, do I just tell the verizon person that I want to use the upgrade on the dumb line to get the DNA, then immediately reactivate the old phone and cancel the data? So if I tell them what I am doing up front, will they just not even bother actually activating the DNA on the dumb line? So like, I just use the upgrade to get the phone for the subsidized price then they can activate it on my real line to save time?

Basically, should I just be up front with them about what I'm doing and they will handle it?
sandoichi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Millinium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 211
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 357 Times in 176 Posts
Default

Well, this is what I did today! Went to Verizon authorized retailer and he ordered me DNA on Dumbphone line. When phone comes in we will swap it to my main line which currently has unlimited data. Easy as that!

Also, a couple of other verizon stores wouldn't do that for me but I finally found one that did. They knew exactly what I was talking about.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoichi View Post
Thanks for the replies.

So if I go down there today, do I just tell the verizon person that I want to use the upgrade on the dumb line to get the DNA, then immediately reactivate the old phone and cancel the data? So if I tell them what I am doing up front, will they just not even bother actually activating the DNA on the dumb line? So like, I just use the upgrade to get the phone for the subsidized price then they can activate it on my real line to save time?

Basically, should I just be up front with them about what I'm doing and they will handle it?
Millinium is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millinium View Post
Well, this is what I did today! Went to Verizon authorized retailer and he ordered me DNA on Dumbphone line. When phone comes in we will swap it to my main line which currently has unlimited data. Easy as that!

Also, a couple of other verizon stores wouldn't do that for me but I finally found one that did. They knew exactly what I was talking about.
I did the same a few hours ago None of the verizon stores had any in stock by me, so I just ordered one to a dumb line. The guy told me that the only catch is it has to stay on the dumb line for 24 hours before they will let me switch it over to my main line.
sandoichi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,546
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,016
Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoichi View Post
I did the same a few hours ago None of the verizon stores had any in stock by me, so I just ordered one to a dumb line. The guy told me that the only catch is it has to stay on the dumb line for 24 hours before they will let me switch it over to my main line.
I switched mine over immediately (Did this exact thing today), so not sure why he would say that. It's not required.
AntimonyER is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
I switched mine over immediately (Did this exact thing today), so not sure why he would say that. It's not required.
Really? Hmm, I dunno then. Maybe whenever I go down to pick it up next week, I will just ask them to put my sim in it and activate it instead of wasting my time.
sandoichi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jreed2560's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,914
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA Employee Edition
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 560
Thanked 448 Times in 303 Posts
jreed2560@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
After you upgrade the phone on one of your dumbphone lines, reactivate the dumbphone on the line. That will allow you to remove that $30 data fee. Then just add the DNA to your line with the Thunderbolt. I have done this in the store, and the CSRs knew what to do. But it only works through Verizon stores, as 3rd party retailers charge you an ETF if you drop the data charge. Verizon doesn't.
Not all third party retailers do. I work for Cellular Sales and as long as the phone stays on the account for 181 days it doesn't matter which line the phone is moved to.
jreed2560 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jreed2560 For This Useful Post:
AntimonyER (November 24th, 2012)
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Careful, They're sharp!!
 
Bob Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Midland's, South Carolina
Posts: 6,862
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Big Red

Thanks: 2,397
Thanked 3,871 Times in 1,848 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
After you upgrade the phone on one of your dumbphone lines, reactivate the dumbphone on the line. That will allow you to remove that $30 data fee. Then just add the DNA to your line with the Thunderbolt. I have done this in the store, and the CSRs knew what to do. But it only works through Verizon stores, as 3rd party retailers charge you an ETF if you drop the data charge. Verizon doesn't.
That's how I've been doing it. I have six line's tho so I generally have upgrades. Or just buy the phone outright. I do that sometimes too.

BC
Bob Cat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
TrueMetalGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Gender: Male
Posts: 97
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 Microsoft Surface RT Tablet (Best thing since sliced bread!)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I pre ordered my DNA on my daughter's line. It is a data line too but I used to get me new smart phones on their non data line renewals before they got data phones as they got older.

Anyway. I received the phone shopped to my home and went down there.
The lady was confused for a second but simply activated it on my line as I wanted and everything went ok. Daughter still has her thunderbolt and I still have unlimited on my DNA. :-)

Since I have two teen daughters I have two sacrificial lines for upgrades. :-)
I can get one new phone every year at the good price and kids can't complain because they get my hand me down which is always going to be an upgrade to them.

My oldest daughter was stuck with my old Imagio phone until she got my rezound which is still like new. Talk about an upgrade for her!!! The Imagio was the slowest phone I had ever had. (Not enough power for the features from the get go).
TrueMetalGeek is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): HTC DNA, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

They were able to do the switch immediately for me. In fact, the whole transaction only disconnected my mom's dumb phone line for 2 minutes.

Also, you do not have to go to an official Verizon store to do this. I used an authorized retailer, Diamond, who suggested the procedure to me and didn't charge any extra fee. I also think you can get better deals on insurance, etc through an authorized retailer rather than Verizon. Good luck!
vjetti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jreed2560's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,914
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA Employee Edition
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 560
Thanked 448 Times in 303 Posts
jreed2560@gmail.com
Default

Hehe
jreed2560 is offline  
Last edited by jreed2560; December 6th, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC DROID DNA
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

HTC has broken the boundaries again with the DROID DNA. This 5-inch behemoth comes to compete directly with the Galaxy Note 2, but what gives it the edge over the popular Samsung device? Well, this guy has a full HD 1080p display. Mix that with a p... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid DNA
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.