Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid DNA

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 6
Thanked 36 Times in 20 Posts
Default For Those Of You With Concerns About The DNA's Camera I Offer This...

...This was posted in another forum regarding changes to the settings that seem to make a positive difference. I tried it and provisionally I can say there really does seem to be a considerable improvement.

>>>Change the resolution from widescreen to 4.3 and most of the problems are solved. Turn auto iso off [and I assume he meant use the lowest iso setting you can which would normally be 100] and use landscape scene and I get outstanding shots with my DNA.<<<

Advertisements
PsychDoc is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsychDoc For This Useful Post:
jreed2560 (January 1st, 2013)
sponsored links
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jreed2560's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,922
 
Device(s): (NONE) LG G2 HTC DNA Droid RAZR HTC Rezound HTC Thunderbolt Droid X Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 561
Thanked 451 Times in 305 Posts
jreed2560@gmail.com
Default

What smart guy said this
jreed2560 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jreed2560 For This Useful Post:
PsychDoc (January 1st, 2013)
Old January 1st, 2013, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 6
Thanked 36 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreed2560 View Post
What smart guy said this
I don't know. It may forever be a mystery!
PsychDoc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Here are some random pics I took with the two sets of settings.

Original settings (First) Settings suggested in this topic (Second)












I can't say I see a real big difference in quality. Then again, the cam quality isn't all that important to me so maybe my eye just isn't as distinguishing.
WuBoy is offline  
Last edited by WuBoy; January 3rd, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hilmar2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,224
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 29
Thanked 242 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Wow, those kind of suck. Seems like I get much better quality pics out of my Inc4G. Maybe it's just the photographer.
hilmar2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilmar2k View Post
Wow, those kind of suck. Seems like I get much better quality pics out of my Inc4G. Maybe it's just the photographer.
Eh, maybe. Like I said, I don't really care about the cam. I'm not trying to take professional level pics with a phone, so what it does is fine with me. That notwithstanding, there still doesn't seem to be much of a difference in pic quality with the new settings.
WuBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 202
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 6
Thanked 36 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBoy View Post
Here are some random pics I took with the two sets of settings.

Original settings (First) Settings suggested in this topic (Second)












I can't say I see a real big difference in quality. Then again, the cam quality isn't all that important to me so maybe my eye just isn't as distinguishing.
Interesting. It seems that there's a pretty dramatic improvement in white balance (with the "new" settings) but a very clear loss of clarity. and resolution. Weird.
PsychDoc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

The quality of the pictures have a lot to do with user control. In low light situations, you need to be very, very steady with the camera and combined with the long shutter speed, it's difficult to take a clear picture indoors. That, combined with poor noise control at 1600 ISO, you get grainy, noisy, and out of focus/blurry pictures.

To fully take advantage of the camera on the DNA, outdoors in the daylight is the best scenario to use the camera. The sunlight will allow the camera to shoot at fast shutter speeds, and low ISO settings meaning pictures will come out noise free and sharp because you're able to hand hold with faster shutter speed.

I don't know how other phones compare, but there's no real way around a small camera lens in terms of picture quality in low light settings. It's just impossible to get a DSLR image quality from a tiny lens.
WiL11o6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hilmar2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,224
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 29
Thanked 242 Times in 190 Posts
Default

What's the aperture rating of the lens on the DNA? The Inc4G has an f2.2 lens and it takes very good indoor pics without the flash. I thought the One series had an f2.0 lens, which would be even better. If this has an f2.0 lens, it should take very good indoor pics, even with a small sensor and lens.

EDIT: Seems like the DNA does have the f2.0 lens, and a BSI sensor. It should take as good, or better, indoor pics sans flash as any other phone out there. D-SLR quality it isn't, but very good nonetheless.
hilmar2k is offline  
Last edited by hilmar2k; January 4th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Just for kicks, I decided to take a few pics with my DNA and my wife's Note 2. Both were taken with default settings and by the same person, so the differences can't be attributed to either of those.

DNA (First) Note2 (Second)













It's pretty clear the Note 2 cam is better. Well, no phone can be the best at everything right?
WuBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jreed2560's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,922
 
Device(s): (NONE) LG G2 HTC DNA Droid RAZR HTC Rezound HTC Thunderbolt Droid X Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 561
Thanked 451 Times in 305 Posts
jreed2560@gmail.com
Default

Dude CLEAN YOUR LENS on the DNA. Its very obvious thats what is causing the images to be blurry. Every time my pictures come out like that it's because my lens is dirty
jreed2560 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 268
 
Device(s): HTC DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 53
Thanked 83 Times in 24 Posts
Default

The lens may be dirty, or maybe he never took the little plastic film off? Also, the DNA pics all looked zoomed in a bit. That can cause some serious blur.
zenman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Damn, I feel dumb. The guy put the case on my phone when I bought it. I never even thought to check to see if he took the plastic off the cam before he put the case on. Of course he didn't. So every pic I've taken so far was with that on. I guess that really goes to show you how much I care about pic quality. Anyway, for the earlier comparison purposes, here are better versions of the pics.

DNA (First) Note2 (Second)









I think the Note 2 cam might be a lil better, but it's not that big a difference IMO. Well, the color seems much better, but the DNA cam clearly takes more detailed pics. Also, just to clarify, I'm not zooming in with the DNA. I just naturally seems to capture things looking closer. I sat in the same place when I took all the pics. The DNA seemed to capture more. For instance look, at the ceiling in both of the fireplace pics. You can see the rough surface of the ceiling way better in the DNA pics than the Note 2. I'm sure you could zoom in with the Note 2 and see more detail, but like I said, the DNA gets that without zooming.
WuBoy is offline  
Last edited by WuBoy; January 4th, 2013 at 11:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hilmar2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,224
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 29
Thanked 242 Times in 190 Posts
Default

The flash is on for the Note 2 pics, and off for the DNA pics. Not a good comparison.
hilmar2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
today's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: spanaway washington
Posts: 550
 
Device(s): HTC One M8 and SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 129
Thanked 92 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Should take a few pics with note using the lens film from the date, just to be fair. Maybe try a few with finger over lens. Lol.
today is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Ok, last set. These were taken with absolutely everything the same for both phones and back to back.

DNA (first) Note 2 (second)









Conclusions are still the same though. Note 2 has better color, but DNA may arguably have better detail.
WuBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 156
 
Device(s): HTC DNA, HTC Rezound (mp3 player), Nexus 7, HTC Inc (retired)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

i think the dna looks better in first pics. its a complete toss up between the 2 in the end i think. both look very similar.
stkorn97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hilmar2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,224
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 29
Thanked 242 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkorn97 View Post
i think the dna looks better in first pics. its a complete toss up between the 2 in the end i think. both look very similar.
I concur. Lighting and color look much more natural with the DNA in the first set. I'm a little more torn in the second set, with both being decent.
hilmar2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkorn97 View Post
i think the dna looks better in first pics. its a complete toss up between the 2 in the end i think. both look very similar.
All of the pics are fine in my opinion, but the coloring is definitely truer to reality in the Note 2 pics. The DNA's pics are good, but everything seems slightly discolored in them.
WuBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wolfedude88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Plainfield, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,754
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA(Red)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 357
Thanked 555 Times in 357 Posts
Default

WuBoy you had me cracking up in this thread with the plastic still on, lol.
Wolfedude88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 268
 
Device(s): HTC DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 53
Thanked 83 Times in 24 Posts
Default

"The guy put the case on my phone when I bought it. I never even thought to check to see if he took the plastic off the cam before he put the case on."

Yep, the same thing happened to me, that's why I suggested it as a possible reason your pics looked so bad. I remember being relieved when I realized the film was what was ruining my pics.
zenman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfedude88 View Post
WuBoy you had me cracking up in this thread with the plastic still on, lol.
lol The worst part is I've taken a ton of pics and videos of my baby daughter for my parents who live about 8 hours away. All that time and it never occurred to me that the graininess was because of a plastic cover over the lens.
WuBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default

With regard to the 2nd pics (the indoor ones), I'm not sure the comparison is entirely accurate. If you look at the natural light from the window, there is considerably more in the second pic (look at the chair on the right). Without taking an opinion on which one is better, I think that would definitely introduce a variable.
HenryKrinkle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
With regard to the 2nd pics (the indoor ones), I'm not sure the comparison is entirely accurate. If you look at the natural light from the window, there is considerably more in the second pic (look at the chair on the right). Without taking an opinion on which one is better, I think that would definitely introduce a variable.
I see what you're talking about, but it's not a variable. I literally took the pics from the same spot one after the other. Whatever you see in the pics is a reflection of how they operate and not extra variables. It's not like I took the pics at different times of day or with the blinds closed for one and not the other.
WuBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBoy View Post
I see what you're talking about, but it's not a variable. I literally took the pics from the same spot one after the other. Whatever you see in the pics is a reflection of how they operate and not extra variables. It's not like I took the pics at different times of day or with the blinds closed for one and not the other.
I was wondering about that. If that's the case the difference really is quite striking. That said, I think they both take great pics. Thanks for posting them.
HenryKrinkle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 111
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible, HTC Rezound, HTC DNA, LG G2,
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

In the Last pictures, why is the sunlight on the chair on the right for the DNA, but on the Chair on the Left for the Note 2 if they are closely spaced in time?
Mr. Incredible is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible View Post
In the Last pictures, why is the sunlight on the chair on the right for the DNA, but on the Chair on the Left for the Note 2 if they are closely spaced in time?
I'm not sure what you're seeing. The light shows up on different chairs in the two pics but based on the angle it's consistent. Only thing I can think of is that clouds were passing in front of the sun while I was taking the pics. It was somewhat overcast yesterday.
WuBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
82nd Airborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New England
Gender: Male
Posts: 104
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA, HTC Thunderbolt (retired), Blackberry Bold 2 (retired), Blackberry Curve (retired)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13
Thanked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Default

All it takes is a cloud to be there one second and gone the next, this has nothing to do with angle. Or.....At first it looked like the data shows them being taken 12 seconds apart at 3:58:17 for the Note 2 and 3:58:28 for the DNA. But then I noticed something. The Note 2 has an auto stamp in the naming convention and that is Jan. 5th as opposed to the Jan. 7th for picture data. This turns out to be when they were uploaded to Photo Place. It would be impossible to explain the sun shining in different places at nearly the same time in the photos. Then I noticed clear evidence that these pictures were taken well apart, or at least something is clearly afoot (pun intended, see next sentence). If you look at the bottom of the chair legs, near the table foot, the right chair has been moved. Here are the crops:

Note 2



DNA




Regardless of the timing, I have to say that the evidence is clear, there is more bright light in the DNA picture from the sun shining through and not as much with the Note 2. In fact, you can see only a smidge of sun light on the chair to the left with the Note 2 and you can see very bright sun on the carpet and right chair in the DNA picture. This will wash out out the color as there is a major difference in contrast in the DNA picture. Also, the DNA picture was taken with a slight bit of movement. The pictures in the parking lot picture I see better color in the DNA. The DNA is slightly over saturated and the Note 2 is under saturated.
82nd Airborne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82nd Airborne View Post
All it takes is a cloud to be there one second and gone the next, this has nothing to do with angle. Or.....At first it looked like the data shows them being taken 12 seconds apart at 3:58:17 for the Note 2 and 3:58:28 for the DNA. But then I noticed something. The Note 2 has an auto stamp in the naming convention and that is Jan. 5th as opposed to the Jan. 7th for picture data. This turns out to be when they were uploaded to Photo Place. It would be impossible to explain the sun shining in different places at nearly the same time in the photos. Then I noticed clear evidence that these pictures were taken well apart, or at least something is clearly afoot (pun intended, see next sentence). If you look at the bottom of the chair legs, near the table foot, the right chair has been moved. Here are the crops:

Note 2



DNA




Regardless of the timing, I have to say that the evidence is clear, there is more bright light in the DNA picture from the sun shining through and not as much with the Note 2. In fact, you can see only a smidge of sun light on the chair to the left with the Note 2 and you can see very bright sun on the carpet and right chair in the DNA picture. This will wash out out the color as there is a major difference in contrast in the DNA picture. Also, the DNA picture was taken with a slight bit of movement. The pictures in the parking lot picture I see better color in the DNA. The DNA is slightly over saturated and the Note 2 is under saturated.
Hmmm, maybe I uploaded the wrong pic on here or something. I took several pics for this thread. At this point, I don't really care anymore. Both phones take decent pics. The coloring is different and that's not going to change no matter how much you overanalyze each pic for minor differences in lighting, angle, whatever. But whether that favors one or the other is a matter of opinion. I personally think the Note 2 has better coloring because I can look at the pics and the real articles (namely the walls) and tell that the Note 2 pics are closer to reality than what I get from the DNA. Others have expressed preference of the DNA pics despite the fact they they aren't completely accurate.

If I were to make a bottom line, I'd say the Note 2's cam is better, but not so much as to make it a selling point for that phone over the DNA.

And on another note, you dudes have way too much time on your hands. Examining these pics to point where you're identifying an inch or so shift in chair positioning is just unnecessary. This is just casual conversation. You guys are going at it like a CSI trying to solve murder mystery. lol
WuBoy is offline  
Last edited by WuBoy; January 8th, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
82nd Airborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New England
Gender: Male
Posts: 104
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA, HTC Thunderbolt (retired), Blackberry Bold 2 (retired), Blackberry Curve (retired)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13
Thanked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBoy View Post
You guys are going at it like a CSI trying to solve murder mystery. lol
Well I am an amateur photographer, so I couldn't help but notice the lighting issue. I am also a former police officer and have a degree in law enforcement (no CSI here though)

"Both phones take decent pics." I agree that they are both nice cameras.

"At this point, I don't really care anymore." I am glad you posted the pictures and also appreciate the effort and opinion you provided. Cheers!
82nd Airborne is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82nd Airborne View Post
Well I am an amateur photographer, so I couldn't help but notice the lighting issue. I am also a former police officer and have a degree in law enforcement (no CSI here though)

"Both phones take decent pics." I agree that they are both nice cameras.

"At this point, I don't really care anymore." I am glad you posted the pictures and also appreciate the effort and opinion you provided. Cheers!
lol It all makes sense now.
WuBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 266
 
Device(s): HTC DNA HTC Thunderbolt HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Big evil red

Thanks: 14
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Overcast day today, but a couple snaps in HDR mode



Eris1981 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eris1981 For This Useful Post:
jreed2560 (January 14th, 2013)
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hilmar2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,224
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 29
Thanked 242 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Those look good.
hilmar2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris1981 View Post
Overcast day today, but a couple snaps in HDR mode
Those look fantastic! Really beautiful country.

May I as what part of the country those were taken?

Thanks for sharing them!
ShelW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 266
 
Device(s): HTC DNA HTC Thunderbolt HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Big evil red

Thanks: 14
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelW View Post
Those look fantastic! Really beautiful country.

May I as what part of the country those were taken?

Thanks for sharing them!
Central Michigan. The city of Owosso specifically, I travel all over the Midwest, there is far more beautiful places than this town.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of the Upper Peninsula, and Upstate NY and a huge chunk of PA come to mind.
Eris1981 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 19
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

The camera isn't bad at all. Here are some pictures I've snapped today and the other day. These were all just point and shoot without messing with the settings. Honestly think the camera is on par with my old iphone 4....probably a little better.

Today


I was a little shaky on this one


and overcast.
croppz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
admile3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 62
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Another thing that will help improve picture quality is to touch the screen on the object or person that you want the picture to be focused on. One picture that I thought could benefit from this feature is the picture of the dog.

When you're holding up the phone, you can press on the screen on the face of the dog so that the phone will focus on the dog and make that portion of the picture sharp, as opposed to focusing onto a different part of the picture that's possibly closer or further away than your intended subject.

If you select the "Settings" cog on the camera interface, then scroll to "Camera Options", checkmark the "Touch to Capture" option which will enable the camera to snap a photo as soon as you select the object of focus. It allows you to take a step out of selecting your focus, and then selecting the shutter button.

Selecting the object of focus also helps in setting exposure for the image. As a great example, point your phone towards a window with light coming in. Select an object in the room that's dark, and you'll see the picture adjust exposure for that object. Now select the window, and you'll see the window go from being blown out, to being exposed correctly, while everything in the room goes dark. Its another way to add functionality, and to take MUCH better pictures, with just one press of the screen.
__________________
Feel free to visit my gadget blog at http://gadgetgamut.wordpress.com
admile3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by admile3 View Post
Another thing that will help improve picture quality is to touch the screen on the object or person that you want the picture to be focused on. One picture that I thought could benefit from this feature is the picture of the dog.

When you're holding up the phone, you can press on the screen on the face of the dog so that the phone will focus on the dog and make that portion of the picture sharp, as opposed to focusing onto a different part of the picture that's possibly closer or further away than your intended subject.

If you select the "Settings" cog on the camera interface, then scroll to "Camera Options", checkmark the "Touch to Capture" option which will enable the camera to snap a photo as soon as you select the object of focus. It allows you to take a step out of selecting your focus, and then selecting the shutter button.

Selecting the object of focus also helps in setting exposure for the image. As a great example, point your phone towards a window with light coming in. Select an object in the room that's dark, and you'll see the picture adjust exposure for that object. Now select the window, and you'll see the window go from being blown out, to being exposed correctly, while everything in the room goes dark. Its another way to add functionality, and to take MUCH better pictures, with just one press of the screen.
Yeah, that's a good point. I figured out about that by accident, but it works.
WuBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
admile3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 62
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I'm bored at work, so I figured I would illustrate my response above with some pics! Granted, these are some very extreme examples, but they're better to illustrate the point.

This first pic, you'll notice the keyboard is in focus, even though that's not where I wanted the focus of the picture to be. The text on the pen is blurry and difficult to read.

In this second picture, I tapped on the screen on the pen that I wanted in focus, and you'll notice the focus shifted from the keyboard to the pen, which made a much better picture.




Again, this is a very extreme example, and I had to actually cause the picture to do this, but it illustrates just how much exposure can be affected in a beneficial way, if you touch-select the subject of the photograph. In this first picture, the camera exposed for the light in the ceiling. You can see some detail in the light fixture, but everything else in the photo is way too dark.



Now for the second photograph, I tapped on the screen at the filing cabinets, and the camera automatically adjusted the exposure for the subject of the picture. It blew the light out, but since the light fixture was not the subject of my picture, the camera exposure did exactly what it was supposed to do.



This small tip of what to do will bring you photographs that are MUCH better balanced in color and in exposure, and will give you the sharpness you're looking for when photographing a certain subject.
admile3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to admile3 For This Useful Post:
zenman (January 15th, 2013)
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 19
 
Device(s): Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Here's another one I took.

croppz is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply

HTC DROID DNA
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

HTC has broken the boundaries again with the DROID DNA. This 5-inch behemoth comes to compete directly with the Galaxy Note 2, but what gives it the edge over the popular Samsung device? Well, this guy has a full HD 1080p display. Mix that with a p... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid DNA
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.